• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Renegade Changelings

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How do you deal with yours?

These are perhaps the single most infuriating mob I have ever came across in UO, I'd rather fight a pack of Irks or Semidars than just one of these!

I've tried every caster template I know of that fits in to a T-hunter temp and quite frankly their 'Paragon like' Changeling abilities pretty much destroy everything you throw against them and 99.9% of the time you are on the back foot and being tracked half way across Ilshenar as they don't seem to reset as frequently as other chest guardians.

The best way I've found so far to deal with them if they spawn is to switch to a Sampire which really isn't practical. The introduction of Fey slayer to Imbuing is a huge help but even then, depending on the stats they spawn with you can still be on the back foot very, very quickly and running half way across Ilshenar with your arse hanging out trying to shake them off!

Tonight I had 4 spawn on pulling up the chest!!! Not including the nuisance 'other' spawn... Took me over an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half or more, to deal with them, separating them alone was a complete nightmare!!! Multiple deaths due to several flagging at the same time and spam FSing me.

Now I'm not saying nerf them just interested in what you find is the most effective way of dealing with them?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't had the pleasure, but one of my favorite methods for a large group of monsters is to invis until they flag on my greater. If necessary, turn on consume damage. If it's a changeling, I head out of their polymorph range - as long as you're close by, consume damage will remain in effect and they'll eventually die.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I haven't had the pleasure, but one of my favorite methods for a large group of monsters is to invis until they flag on my greater. If necessary, turn on consume damage. If it's a changeling, I head out of their polymorph range - as long as you're close by, consume damage will remain in effect and they'll eventually die.
Don't have consume damage myself so I can't vouch for that or how effective it may be but I'm guessing it would'nt be.

What I do know is that Renegade Changlings have around 90 Physical resist (making a GD less than optimal I think), they are spam casters and seem to favour Flamestrike and have insane mana/health regenerative abilities far surpassing (in my opinion) any high end paragons and simply tear GD's a new rear end!

If you are lucky enough to get a relatively weak RC and manage to get its health low (eventually), you would need Spellweaving with WoD to finish them due to their insane regenerative abilities especially near death where its not uncommon for them to teleport/fly several screens away very, very quickly completely outrunning your GD while they heal up.

At this point I think you would be running a dangerously tight template. Happy to be proved wrong of course!

I guess an ideal temp for them would be a Disco/Tamer/Spellweaver but that really is pushing the template too far! :)

Anyway, I'm rambling now. :D

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honest;y I am not sure what a good template. When I encountered them, sadly I called for help from my guild and anyone that happen to be on. I got help from my sister (pally warrior) and good friend who went thru 2 chars. His 2nd I think was a pure bard, I know it had voke and/or disco. It still took us a while to kill all of them. I think the dev teams idea was group fight with these buggers.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The solution for this is clear.
Trash any and all level 6 ish maps so you don't risk getting a level 7 ish map and then be forced to waste your time with those pests.
I only do Fel and Ter Mur ones nowadays. Everything else seems to be a waste of time.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Honest;y I am not sure what a good template. When I encountered them, sadly I called for help from my guild and anyone that happen to be on. I got help from my sister (pally warrior) and good friend who went thru 2 chars. His 2nd I think was a pure bard, I know it had voke and/or disco. It still took us a while to kill all of them. I think the dev teams idea was group fight with these buggers.
Haha!! Yes I agree, they are a group effort, unfortunately these days groups are hard enough to find let alone to help with a T-Map! Have to resort to Spellweaving mastery just to get an Arcane Crystal these days!

There was a time when I used to do maps as a guild, but those days are long gone as are all of my old friends. =(

Sad days.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The solution for this is clear.
Trash any and all level 6 ish maps so you don't risk getting a level 7 ish map and then be forced to waste your time with those pests.
I only do Fel and Ter Mur ones nowadays. Everything else seems to be a waste of time.
Soooooo true but sometimes I just get the urge! =D

Malas drives me nuts if Devourer of souls spawn since they just keep animating the dead, gets annoying after a while!
Tokuno Maps have the Yamandon, almost as annoying as the Renegade Changeling but at least its predictable.

Ter Mur is definately the easiest for sure but I prefer Fel maps for the luck boost, loot always seems to be better and the Frost Dragons are not soo bad.

Only downside to Ter Mur maps is the amount of Garg loot and I really don't like playing Gargs.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Poisoning them is also a big help so they don't heal themselves so much. Makes a big difference. I've taken down two solo with a disco bard, but four? Merus is right, you'd need to provoke them onto one another or you'll run out of time and the loot will disappear. I also agree with BeaInk that L7 Ilsh chests generally aren't worth the time if you're solo. Just trash the map for the cleanup points and do another one unless you're just up for a challenge.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Discord/Provoke for the win. That is how I always kill them.
Whats your full template like?

I've tried a Disco/Tamer with them which was moderately effective (very slow) until near death when they go bat **** crazy and the GD just cant finish them whilst they spam heal and teleport all over. Getting the Disco on in the first place was always emotional. Adding Spellweaving to finish them just wasn't a viable template option.

The other Level 7 mobs are weak, are they really that effective to provoke against a Disco'ed Renegade? How do you deal with the Renegade if it's the only mob left?

I'm not saying you can't do it, I just need to justify a possible change to my template.

Admittedly, I got shot of Provoke years ago, the requirement for a second target always put me off.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whats your full template like?

I've tried a Disco/Tamer with them which was moderately effective (very slow) until near death when they go bat **** crazy and the GD just cant finish them whilst they spam heal and teleport all over. Getting the Disco on in the first place was always emotional. Adding Spellweaving to finish them just wasn't a viable template option.

The other Level 7 mobs are weak, are they really that effective to provoke against a Disco'ed Renegade? How do you deal with the Renegade if it's the only mob left?

I'm not saying you can't do it, I just need to justify a possible change to my template.

Admittedly, I got shot of Provoke years ago, the requirement for a second target always put me off.
You have a couple options:

First would be returning home and using soulstones to swap off your T-hunter skills.
Magery, Eval, Music, Disco, Provo, Med. Disco the changling, provoke everything else on it and dump holding the fey slayer spellbook.
Second would be to run a second account. (this is what I do)

vasagi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess an ideal temp for them would be a Disco/Tamer/Spellweaver but that really is pushing the template too far! :)
I have a disco/tamer/spellweaver... is a great template, very crammed and jewel dependent, but works.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Nasty little buggers. They're an absolute menance!:grin:

You'd think after killing 2 or 3 of the buggers there might be something worthwhile inside the chest. It's sad that after killing them you open the chest and it's nothing but junk. On top of it being a level 7...

Devs really screwed up Treasure Hunting. Worst team ever, and worst leadership (granted it's the smallest teams but that doesn't excuse the decisions that have been implemented over the past 3-5 years).

You can kill Renegede Changelings with a thrower or warrior in a decent amount of time. High AI Manaleech weapon with Mana Drain will do the trick. Spam CW & AI til it falls.

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the best part about this thread is you know something is out of balance when people just say "trash the map and not to waste your time".

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the best part about this thread is you know something is out of balance when people just say "trash the map and not to waste your time".
I started trashing all my Ilsh maps, not because the mobs are too hard... but because I refuse to walk everywhere without the ability to mark runes. THAT is a waste of my time.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I started trashing all my Ilsh maps, not because the mobs are too hard... but because I refuse to walk everywhere without the ability to mark runes. THAT is a waste of my time.
Can't argue with you there... but maybe they are making a move away from that. Hopefully in the near future they will make a stone deal for Ilsh like they are for Eodon.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hahaha!

Thanks for all the input guys, food for thought I guess.

For the time being, I guess I'll just continue relogging with a Sampire to deal with them for the initial spawn. And unfortunately, I can only apologise to people for the remainder that spawn that I simply lure away and leave for some unsuspecting adventurer! :D

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My T-hunter has about 40 level 7 Illshenar maps in the bank I check monthly for one next to that champ spawn near Spirituality gate, I find the hoards of pixies very useful in dealing with 1-2 of them, I have had to log in my mage thought and I have killed them tossing a hundred or so ev's at them, my Archer against them was a nightmare for me and the tamer who was helping me though.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I stick my Greater Dragon on them and stay far enough away that I can still see both bars but that it can't copy my character. Fairly easy like this.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Still a problem of running out of time when there are for of them and you're working solo with one character, isn't it?.
BTW, I used to use GD but switched to gargoyle mystic disco mage and find the RC with 120 focus and mysticism kills things a lot faster than the GD did. Just wondering, has the addition of masteries changed this?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Best to fight with a group. First, need to segregate them off, one by one. Then putting a Dragon and/or sampy on them for tanking and having other ranged templates helping from afar. I don't know how anyone could one man these without it taking an insane amount of time.