• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

City Loyalty - Timer between Changing Loyalty too long?

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel that this day in age in UO, a week wait for something like this is too long, especially when the Town Bonus's can be changed by Governors at their will. If i go to a town and three days later the bonus is changed then it takes me a week to swap to a new town.

Can we get this shortened? @Mesanna @Kyronix

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel that this day in age in UO, a week wait for something like this is too long, especially when the Town Bonus's can be changed by Governors at their will. If i go to a town and three days later the bonus is changed then it takes me a week to swap to a new town.

When this first came out and the City Banners were a hot selling object I could understand this but maybe reduce it to a 24 RL hour now for the bonus only.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Part of the reason the timer exists is to make election shilling somewhat more inconvenient, thus ever so slightly less likely to happen.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This is probably the main reason why the elections matter - choosing someone with a town bonus of your liking and trying to stay atleast a little bit informed about what different governors/candidates would potentially pick as their bonus. It encourages atleast a little bit of involvement, and there is nothing wrong with that. Also, since ballots can stay open for an entire week, then I think the timer on the town bonus needs to match that.

While I can level with the OP that having to drop your town loyalty and wait a week to make the change can seem a bit long - this is another example of people asking for an easy button where one isn't necessarily needed.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is probably the main reason why the elections matter - choosing someone with a town bonus of your liking and trying to stay atleast a little bit informed about what different governors/candidates would potentially pick as their bonus. It encourages atleast a little bit of involvement, and there is nothing wrong with that. Also, since ballots can stay open for an entire week, then I think the timer on the town bonus needs to match that.

While I can level with the OP that having to drop your town loyalty and wait a week to make the change can seem a bit long - this is another example of people asking for an easy button where one isn't necessarily needed.
They should have the town buffs available in fel and just dedicate each city to a different buff. Then, people would not need to worry about it changing AND reds would have it available to them. I don't think pvpers give a flying eff about voting for governors. We want our buff and to move on with pvping. And a week IS too long and loyalties shouldn't follow you between shards. 1 day would be plenty.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should have the town buffs available in fel and just dedicate each city to a different buff. Then, people would not need to worry about it changing AND reds would have it available to them. I don't think pvpers give a flying eff about voting for governors. We want our buff and to move on with pvping. And a week IS too long and loyalties shouldn't follow you between shards. 1 day would be plenty.
Maybe the devs could come up with a way to earn a buff of your choosing by participating in a specified number of 1v1 or team fights at the arenas in Fel Lost Lands and Ocllo. Make the buff last 24 hours like the ones available in Trammel towns.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you flip flop day to day, is it really loyalty?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
okay the clue is in the title, these buffs are supposed to be BONUSes, certain people including the OP abuse these BONUSes and build their fel pvp suit around the BONUS and use the BONUS on the fel field even though you can only obtain them in trammel. It's fine with me to reduce the loyalty switching time, if in the same respect these BONUSes only work for 1 hour and not 24, and work in the facet you obtain them in only.

So the trolls will deliberately go blue, go to trammel for the FC1 bonus, build a suit with only FC1 on and then perma use the FC1 bonus every day, then go to fel and attack reds with their FC1 (now FC2) suit.

It's The ultimate trolling,

Ontop of this, you don't lose the buff if you die, and you can't even purge it.

Last edited:

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
okay the clue is in the title, these buffs are supposed to be BONUSes, certain people including the OP abuse these BONUSes and build their fel pvp suit around the BONUS and use the BONUS on the fel field even though you can only obtain them in trammel. It's fine with me to reduce the loyalty switching time, if in the same respect these BONUSes only work for 1 hour and not 24, and work in the facet you obtain them in only.

So the trolls will deliberately go blue, go to trammel for the FC1 bonus, build a suit with only FC1 on and then perma use the FC1 bonus every day, then go to fel and attack reds with their FC1 (now FC2) suit.

You are right, it is silly that people have to go blue to get the bonuses. They should be fel based. I agree with that. Why should only blues be able to be loyal to a city? Oh because it is located in a land created for people who were scared to die or play with consequence.

I actually think that there should be a bonus for both tram and fel. And I think the tram bonus should be HALF of what the fel bonus is and be dropped after half the time because they play with no consequence. But I imagine you would cry about that wouldn't you? I'd also wager that you/the majority of trammies build their suits with the bonus built in. So your argument is really dumb.

edit: since we are talking about stuff that shouldn't be purged, I would like them to add a feature to purge the bleed and mortal wound debuff. (I can make an argument that is equally as dumb as yours)

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So you are accusing fel players of abusing the FC1 buff because they are using it in fel and solely because they got the bonus in trammel?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you are accusing fel players of abusing the FC1 buff because they are using it in fel and solely because they got the bonus in trammel?
I also will ask you one question, and if you tell me the answer, then I also will tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of Messana, from where did it come? From trammel or from man?

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't abuse it, i use it as its intended? Why do I need an extra bonus for no reason? Of course i build a suit around it, what would be the point in them if not? I don't attack "reds" you and everyone else generally is orange to me as you're all in VvV?

Before these bonus's came out I had 5 red characters out of 7 on EU and i've had red chars since I began playing in 1997, if i decide to utilise the game mechanics on offer to me at this moment in UO history then that's my prerogative.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
fel player uses it - ABUSE!
tram player uses it - Working as intended

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*laughs* Its called city loyalty not buff loyalty!

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before these bonus's came out I had 5 red characters out of 7 on EU and i've had red chars since I began playing in 1997, if i decide to utilise the game mechanics on offer to me at this moment in UO history then that's my prerogative.
This is the same reason to cast weaken, feeblemind, and clumsy on yourself so you don't get cursed? when that mechanic was on offer?

So you admit yourself you have strayed from the path of rightousness and turned your wine back into water. Truly i say to you , you cannot drink of the cup of the lord and the cup of the demons.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO, it needs to remain at its current length in order to limit voting abuse. As is, you need to have your loyalty declared at the beginning of the voting period. Anything shorter would allow you to change cities during the voting period, which can cause issues.

I've always thought using the trade deals should be at the characters discretion, but be tied directly to contribution to the treasury... Either through completed trade quests or direct gold donation.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the same reason to cast weaken, feeblemind, and clumsy on yourself so you don't get cursed? when that mechanic was on offer?

So you admit yourself you have strayed from the path of rightousness and turned your wine back into water. Truly i say to you , you cannot drink of the cup of the lord and the cup of the demons.
I didn't use the curse bug.

Given whats gone on in your guild the last few days regarding private parts of your anatomy and pictures I think you're in no position to take the highground with me with regards to the path of the righteous?

I use the INTENDED game mechanics. You're a cry baby.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
says the person crying cos the Govenor has chosen a different bonus and you want to go to another loyalty and take your football with you?
Perhaps your solution would be to be more popular, then you could be Govenor.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO, it needs to remain at its current length in order to limit voting abuse. As is, you need to have your loyalty declared at the beginning of the voting period. Anything shorter would allow you to change cities during the voting period, which can cause issues.

I've always thought using the trade deals should be at the characters discretion, but be tied directly to contribution to the treasury... Either through completed trade quests or direct gold donation.
If that is the case, then make it 24 hours to leave AFTER a voting period.

Although, I think having fel based bonuses with each city having a set bonus would really make any and all pvpers happy over it. I would like it if I did not have to go to tram for bonuses, personally.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No i don't think they should be available in fel either,
you get people dependent on them, then when the Govenor falls out with someone, everyone has built their suits around it then everyone is out the game.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
says the person crying cos the Govenor has chosen a different bonus and you want to go to another loyalty and take your football with you?
Perhaps your solution would be to be more popular, then you could be Govenor.
I am Governor of a town on Europa. I am referring to the fact that i've x-ferred a char and have to wait a week to be able to make use of the same town bonus because it just happens to be a totally different town on the shard i've x-ferred to.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I recently had to drop loyalty to one city and pledge it to another to align my character's new suit with a trade deal. I went from using the assassins guild to using the bardic collegium buff. I had to wait the 7 day period. I also had to work up my loyalty to the new city. I did this by doing trade orders. I found it mildly tedious, but nothing game breaking.

I do agree there should be a way to get a city loyalty buff in Fel.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No i don't think they should be available in fel either,
you get people dependent on them, then when the Govenor falls out with someone, everyone has built their suits around it then everyone is out the game.
What is your reasoning for having it in tram over fel? I vote remove them all from tram and ONLY have them in fel. Trammies make me laugh how they want everything catered to them. My idea would not affect your game play at all, but in fact make it easier and more available to EVERY single player equally. The only argument against my idea is "boo hoo I want the buff and I don't want other people to have it"

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I vote leave the current day timer as is. They finally got the elections smoothed out a bit better, no need to shake it up now with changing city loyalty timers.

Whether or not to offer buffs in Fel is different. Maybe just have a duplicate corresponding city stone in each of the Fel cities - but they shouldn't just get every buff in a different city because a few Stratics PVPers said so either. It should be aligned with whatever the buff is chosen from the corresponding Trammel town. And if you don't care about governorships or voting or participating in other areas of the community - that's fine - you don't to. But you ignore this at your own peril... not so you can get your own way and not have an entirely separate system in Fel.

If you pick a buff from one city, and then it changes... guess what? You adapt. Overcome. Conquer. If you have to change towns and lose your buff for 7 days, it's not going to be the end of the world. From my experience, SSI, SDI and FC are the only ones people tend to want and they're always offered in atleast one town (although I believe on ATL we have atleast one HCI town as well).

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vote leave the current day timer as is. They finally got the elections smoothed out a bit better, no need to shake it up now with changing city loyalty timers.

Whether or not to offer buffs in Fel is different. Maybe just have a duplicate corresponding city stone in each of the Fel cities - but they shouldn't just get every buff in a different city because a few Stratics PVPers said so either. It should be aligned with whatever the buff is chosen from the corresponding Trammel town. And if you don't care about governorships or voting or participating in other areas of the community - that's fine - you don't to. But you ignore this at your own peril... not so you can get your own way and not have an entirely separate system in Fel.

If you pick a buff from one city, and then it changes... guess what? You adapt. Overcome. Conquer. If you have to change towns and lose your buff for 7 days, it's not going to be the end of the world. From my experience, SSI, SDI and FC are the only ones people tend to want and they're always offered in atleast one town (although I believe on ATL we have atleast one HCI town as well).
7 days is quite a long time if you have your suit built around it, if you ask me. Especially if you x-fer to another server and have to wait. The seven day timer really does not make sense.

The Fel idea would make it so reds could finally get buffs and no one would ever have a reason to whine about not having a buff offered. Plus, you would know what city to go to. What would the downside be of having a city with a permanent buff (so you could declare loyalty only once)- out of curiosity?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
7 days is necessary, due to the election process.

What are you building your suit around? Problem here might then be that your suit is too rigid. If you have to deal without 1FC for a week (or whatever other buff), you just might have to plan ahead and have a different jewel or suit piece ready... or deal without it for a few days... or get a blue character loyal to a town so you can vote for the gov and make sure to talk to them about what buff they're going to pick. It's not like you're completely out of options.

My Fel idea works too. Just offer the same buffs that exist in the Trammel towns. The downside of what you're proposing it that it is another example where a part of the UO community can simply isolate itself from the rest of the community and think they're just going to get something without having to participate at all in another area - here being the elections. The city buffs are probably one of the few tools the governors have in order to get people to care to vote - atleast the more casual folks who don't care about the role-playing governorship stuff, but do care about their town buff. It takes less than a minute to vote, and probably less than a half hour to do a minor amount of work finding out who is running in what cities and what city buffs they are proposing to change (if any).