• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bah... where to start?

Seneca

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I decided to see what was up with this game after leaving it a bit after SE and after logging on I realize I have no idea of what to do.

Back when I played I mainly pvped so I'd really like to get into that again. I was running a chiv/swords/mage but after looking at everyone's gear which are pretty much perfect pieces, even better than artifacts (imbued?), I realized I seriously need to step up my once on-par gear to be competitive again.

So without further ado I'll go ahead and ask my questions:
Is my chiv/mage/swords template still decent for PvP? If not what are some suggestions?
How much will a good pvp suit cost me?
What are some decent ways to rake in some cash so I can afford this suit?
What is a decent pvm template to use to compliment the above method?
..And last is there somewhere I can view current caps such as FC/FCR/LMC etc.?

I guess I'm feeling pretty lost right now, not sure where to even begin with all this. If there is anyone willing to provide me some basic information, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pvm most go the route of sampire. Check the warrior board for variations but that build is

120 bushing
120 weapon
120 tactics
100 resist/anatomy/SS
100 Chivalry
100 necro
60 parry

PVP you'll have to wait for others to chime in.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also if your on Napa let me know I might be able to help out gear wise.

Seneca

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm actually from Baja, my pvper is on Greatlakes but I plan on transferring all to Atlantic. Browsing around Yew, seems to be a lot of decent action going on, however, looking at the suits there are a lot of new properties I've never heard of such as: damage eater, casting focus, brittle, prized. I'm not real familiar with any of this. Would really appreciate some feed back on suit cost etc. if anyone is able to point me in the right direction.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So without further ado I'll go ahead and ask my questions:
Is my chiv/mage/swords template still decent for PvP? If not what are some suggestions?
How much will a good pvp suit cost me?
What are some decent ways to rake in some cash so I can afford this suit?
What is a decent pvm template to use to compliment the above method?
..And last is there somewhere I can view current caps such as FC/FCR/LMC etc.?
Likely not. Most players are archers (or throwers - Gargoyle exclusive ranged weapon skill) now, with 210+ stam suits at the top end, or 180 otherwise. There are some melee dexers, but they're rare - the ones you do see usually use Nerve Strike/Deathstrike. Mages are usually Wrestle/Parry with Inscription.
Couple hundred mil for the cheapest (non-crafted) gear, more than likely. Best bet is to look at what's popular now and shop on Atlantic.
EM Events and Shadowguard are the easiest ways to make gold - EM drops usually sell for 200m on average.
Caps: 55% LMC if wearing Studded gear, 40% for medable gear. FC/FCR is 2/6 for mages, 4/6 for Chiv. If you're familiar with the Pub 25 changes to pvp, the casting caps have never been changed. SDI is 15%/30%/40% - 15% for hybrid mages (i.e. Necro Mage), 30% for mages that don't have Inscribe, and 40% if you have it.

for a faster rundown of what's changed in the past decade+, you can use uoguide.

I'm actually from Baja, my pvper is on Greatlakes but I plan on transferring all to Atlantic. Browsing around Yew, seems to be a lot of decent action going on, however, looking at the suits there are a lot of new properties I've never heard of such as: damage eater, casting focus, brittle, prized. I'm not real familiar with any of this. Would really appreciate some feed back on suit cost etc. if anyone is able to point me in the right direction.
Brittle: Basically imbued. Before the addition of global loot, which set all brittle items to 255/255 durability as default, it had a limited shelf life. Powder of Fortification can't be used on these items.

Damage Eater: restores a % of HP depending on how much you have. Takes a few seconds for it to kick in.

Casting Focus: Lets you continue casting a spell, preventing it from being interrupted.

Prized: Increased insurance cost per item.

Last edited:

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Who were you on Baja and GL?

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Best way to learn this stuff IMO is to find a PVP guild willing to carry ya around. Most players have plenty of gold if you show some initiative and appear to be sticking around for a while. Then as you contribute you can sell PS or what not. Also, EM events as stated. I like to train in Blackthorn for the minor arties that sell pretty well too. And if you can find a miner you can grind Gold Elementals and have them run in to smelt the ore for you if you keep it in a pile. The ore turns into great cleanup points and cleanup rewards can sell well.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best way to learn this stuff IMO is to find a PVP guild willing to carry ya around. Most players have plenty of gold if you show some initiative and appear to be sticking around for a while. Then as you contribute you can sell PS or what not. Also, EM events as stated. I like to train in Blackthorn for the minor arties that sell pretty well too. And if you can find a miner you can grind Gold Elementals and have them run in to smelt the ore for you if you keep it in a pile. The ore turns into great cleanup points and cleanup rewards can sell well.
In the gold elementals room swap resist spells for mining on your melee fighter. No need for a second account.

Seneca

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Randy
MaStErMaJ was my main. You may remember my brother Sir Maximum who ran with DJs or his faction toon Deltha who is also playing with me as well, however, he is just as lost as I. We normally hung around Yew fighting M&D and whoever else.

@Everyone else. Thanks for the responses. With the amount of years I've played UO I'm not too sure I qualify as a noob but I sure do feel like one because I don't recognize any of the terminology you guys are using. What is EM events and training in Blackthorn?

Our (my brother and I) main priority is to get back into pvp ASAP. Is there any decent (please know mechanics!) pvpers willing to keep in contact and answer questions until I get back in the swing of things? I'll probably for sure need help fine tuning my template and advice on building my suit such as necessary artifacts and what not.

Thanks!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Randy
MaStErMaJ was my main. You may remember my brother Sir Maximum who ran with DJs or his faction toon Deltha who is also playing with me as well, however, he is just as lost as I. We normally hung around Yew fighting M&D and whoever else.

@Everyone else. Thanks for the responses. With the amount of years I've played UO I'm not too sure I qualify as a noob but I sure do feel like one because I don't recognize any of the terminology you guys are using. What is EM events and training in Blackthorn?

Our (my brother and I) main priority is to get back into pvp ASAP. Is there any decent (please know mechanics!) pvpers willing to keep in contact and answer questions until I get back in the swing of things? I'll probably for sure need help fine tuning my template and advice on building my suit such as necessary artifacts and what not.

Thanks!
Event Moderator - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia - quick rundown of it.

Events for May 2016 – – Ultima Online - the monthly calendar.

Castle Blackthorn Dungeon - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia - Blackthorn Dungeon. Blackthorn Artifacts - Old Stratics - list of rewards, all of which bear the "Crest of Blackthorn." Turn-in costs vary, but the best stuff requires either 50 or 100 "Crest of Minax" drops.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Before you go to all the trouble to Xfer to atl you may want to make a char on Atl to teat the lag during the times you will be playing esp. if you plan to PvP. Not sure where you live but ping could be your mortal enemy.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@ Randy

Thanks!
Yeah name sounds familar deltha does for sure I'm pretty sure he was in DJs, SLT, and NME with me. I mostly played Goldie Loc, Sweet Teen, Briana Banks, and Randy

Seneca

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Na we weren't in SLT with JT. He was in [M] and I was in whatever faction guild was floating around at the time. I remember you for sure though.. I think you sold me a LMC suit with the mightnight bracers at moonglow bank at one point right after AoS was released.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before you go to all the trouble to Xfer to atl you may want to make a char on Atl to teat the lag during the times you will be playing esp. if you plan to PvP. Not sure where you live but ping could be your mortal enemy.
You can open command prompt and type "ping atlantic.owo.com" To figure out your ping. But with ping programs out there, I don't think it should really be an issue. I know people that play from Europe and run faster than me with those programs.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Na we weren't in SLT with JT. He was in [M] and I was in whatever faction guild was floating around at the time. I remember you for sure though.. I think you sold me a LMC suit with the mightnight bracers at moonglow bank at one point right after AoS was released.
Well SLT/NME/Mals all kind of joined up to form one guild I think he might have still been playing around that time but don't remember was a very long time ago now.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's tough to jump head first into PVP if you don't do enough PVM first so you can start getting some of the uber-gear needed and earning some gold.

If you end up on Atlantic and want a large PVM guild to start off with, please feel free to give me a shout.