• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

can you over cap resist spells

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to compensate for casting protection

I know protection will still drop you by -2 to fc

my skills gump seems to show I can have 100 resist spells or even 120 resist spells with protection cast.

does that really work....or is it urban legend stuff?

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting question!

Grab some magicresist increase jewels (do they exist?) and test it out!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm almost positive that you can overcap it. Used protection on my sampire. The ability to use curse weapon reliably was a major boon.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting question!

Grab some magicresist increase jewels (do they exist?) and test it out!
oh it goes up on my skill gump....but I guess my question is...does it actually do anything or does it still function like 80 resist spells

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it goes up on the gump I'd guess it works. Easiest way to check just have a 120 eval mage para you and see.

If lowered to whatever prot' drops it to you should get para'd for a second or so. If still 120 the para will do nothing.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yup, it works. I play a mage with 120 resist in protection. He has GM inscription which reduces the resist penalty to -30 instead of -35, I compensate with a prepatch resilient bracer with +30 resist.
He's reasonably effective in pvp as I can stand there and mana dump with high sdi without being interupted but it's a little bit of a glass cannon situation, if you don't kill your target in one go the 0 FC makes it hard to cast quickly enough to heal and damage at the same time so I either die or stalemate.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, it works. I play a mage with 120 resist in protection. He has GM inscription which reduces the resist penalty to -30 instead of -35, I compensate with a prepatch resilient bracer with +30 resist.
He's reasonably effective in pvp as I can stand there and mana dump with high sdi without being interupted but it's a little bit of a glass cannon situation, if you don't kill your target in one go the 0 FC makes it hard to cast quickly enough to heal and damage at the same time so I either die or stalemate.

Can you over cap FC? as in does protection reduce you by -2...or does it take you to 0 regardless of what you FC was

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Can you over cap FC? as in does protection reduce you by -2...or does it take you to 0 regardless of what you FC was
Protection reduces the cap by -2, not FC.
So as a mage, you can never have more than FC 0 in protection, and as a paladin/necromancer/ninja/mystic you can only have up to FC 2 when running protection.