• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOCartographer Hosting, anyone host?

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Anyone hosting these anymore? Can't find reliable connections from guildies, and I can't justify having my PC on for 24/7, for this. Sadly my Linux server box can't host it, cause its Windows only application, as far as I can tell.

If anyone hosts, PM/Post/ICQ me. I'd love to work with someone to get a reliable map running.

Thanks,

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
One of my guildmates runs the UO Mapper server, incase you were interested.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I tried UO Mapper, but I don't feel it is very stabel and my members do have trouble getting it up running. I gave it up, I wish UO Automap would work for EC users too.
I could not find a useful link to UOCartographer, I really need a map, that work for both EC and CC and not gives my members to much trouble and yes I will need a host too

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone hosting these anymore? Can't find reliable connections from guildies, and I can't justify having my PC on for 24/7, for this. Sadly my Linux server box can't host it, cause its Windows only application, as far as I can tell.

If anyone hosts, PM/Post/ICQ me. I'd love to work with someone to get a reliable map running.

Thanks,
A friend hosts uocarto, let me know if u are interested

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really need a map, that work for both EC and CC and not gives my members to much trouble and yes I will need a host too
UO cartographer works with CC and EC just fine! There is a fully working link + guide on the Stratics resources section.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ive always been surprised that Stratics in all its different ownership's has never hosted public or for rent TS/Vent and Map servers.

$5 a month per item is a easy way to make some cash for a web site i would think.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Stratics did have a TS server and a mumble server under the old owner.
It was advertised all over the place, but nobody minus staff used it. There's not really a large enough of a public need for it honestly. Most people have that covered within their guilds. I host a total of 4 maps now for free, and I know of several other people who host for others as well. If stratics did start hosting maps (for donation profit), I doubt their would be much of a market to make it worth the effort of setting them all up, as well as maintaining them.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Stratics did have a TS server and a mumble server under the old owner.
It was advertised all over the place, but nobody minus staff used it. There's not really a large enough of a public need for it honestly. Most people have that covered within their guilds. I host a total of 4 maps now for free, and I know of several other people who host for others as well. If stratics did start hosting maps (for donation profit), I doubt their would be much of a market to make it worth the effort of setting them all up, as well as maintaining them.
It's all about content.

Hosting maps is totally different then a TS server and used for different reasons.

When a campaign was announce for Petra's Dream to build a map the funds for the project were literally raised in a matter of a couple hours.

Maps and map systems are part of the content people are looking for.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I wish that Broadsword would build a map system. A map with permissions. Allow or disallow alliance, guild, Vice, Virtue or party. One that could easily map folks playing different clients. A map that would just work.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wish that Broadsword would build a map system. A map with permissions. Allow or disallow alliance, guild, Vice, Virtue or party. One that could easily map folks playing different clients. A map that would just work.
The EC map will map out all the dot locations of anyone in your party. However, it doesn't update fast enough to be useful in PvP or any high movement fights.
I would be happy if they added that feature to the 2d map, and made the 2d map more like the EC map. And they increased it to update the party location "dots" in real time. That would be a perfect world....

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
ive always been surprised that Stratics in all its different ownership's has never hosted public or for rent TS/Vent and Map servers.

$5 a month per item is a easy way to make some cash for a web site i would think.
The licensing models for TS/Vent are prohibitive. Vent wouldn't even accept us, and sell us a license as a host to resale slots because that wouldn't be our main business, and for Teamspeak, after the first year you're looking at a minimum of $120/mo in licensing fees, and that's only for 200 slots. To cover that you'd need 24 people each paying $5/mo. for basically 8 slots, which is pointless when you can go out and rent a 20 slot server for the same price. Of course we could setup a 512 slot TS server for about $300 a year, but we wouldn't be allowed to break it up and charge people for a portion of the slots, it would have to be public and that's an entirely new can of worms to open when you start trying to establish a level of acceptable conduct for the users.

Map servers, that's a different story, we could in theory do so, but not for Cartographer for he same reason Joe needed to find someone, it isn't Linux native. There is also the need to account for the additional server resources hosting multiple map servers would eat up, so the possibility of people wanting a map server would have to be balanced against risk of degraded server performance.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I saw write up a proposal for what would work well in regards to the maps, pitch it to the community, and see if it would get funded.

I'd use it for sure

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i know my guild pays monthly for both TS and Map, have for years and i know we will till the day we are done.
its something we lean on heavily for our game play.

that said after looking at the prices you are throwing out there we currently pay $5 a month each for them, so anything more than that wouldnt draw people in.

i know JC use to host map but he stopped because there wasnt anyone other then me renting.