• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Punishment For Using Exploits etc..

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I take a different stance. I see nothing wrong with skill training. In fact I think there should be sanctioned safe places to encourage new players to come train.

It's completely different when it comes down to afk for profit.
Hmmmm....

*thinks*

That is a fair point there honestly. I know when the Blackrock infused area was around a few years ago I trained a TON of skills at that place. Anything that could be done while hiding I trained up. Why was being hidden so important? For those who were not around then.. those dang Blackrock Elementals would kill ya FASTTTTT lol.

I would imagine folks who stumble onto the game are quickly discouraged in having to train up a character to get going. Well, either that or break out some cash for a Mythic token to boot. Would love to see a true new player bundle with all the expansions and a Mythic token for around $25 or so. Then actually see UO commercials on TV for a month lol.. hey, if ya gonna dream.. may as well dream big right ;)

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would imagine folks who stumble onto the game are quickly discouraged in having to train up a character to get going. Well, either that or break out some cash for a Mythic token to boot. Then actually see UO commercials on TV for a month lol..
A new player has to buy a mythic token or rmt. Sots are good and all but you either need gold to buy them or a character advanced enough to earn them. Catch 22 cause a new play has neither. When I say new player it means anyone starting with nothing. It could be a returning vet with a new account.

I've started over completely from nothing at least 6 times and I will not work another skill by hand again.

As for your new player experience, i would like to see 1 reliable youtuber with consistent updates and venturing into everything UO related. People get paid to make vids so why has no one pioneered this game with steady updates?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Think JC was doing that at one point. He may have stopped once he got UOGuide rolling along though.

*edit*

He is still rolling along, but probably not in the way you were talking about though.

JCtheBuilder

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need someone fun to sit and explain things, joke around and draw an audience.

JC is a nice guy and all but the videos he does talk in show he doesn't have that kind of personality.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We need someone fun to sit and explain things, joke around and draw an audience.

JC is a nice guy and all but the videos he does talk in show he doesn't have that kind of personality.
I've honestly been trying to figure out just how to go about it and where to upload my video's to... however I'm not a fan of YouTube... and I honestly don't want them there. But I do want to do some of the very things you're talking about... I found a program for making video's... Though I don't know squat about adding music or editing them.

Back when I took "Intro to computer programing" in High School we had green screen IBMs that printed on Dot Matrix printers. I remember almost nothing of that experience except how horribly tedious it was to get anything done.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I found a program for making video's... Though I don't know squat about adding music or editing them.
Shoot, that's the easy part. If a computer idiot like me can figure that out with Windows Movie Maker, then someone with your mental capacity can handle it. Let us folks around here know if/when you do it though :thumbsup:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't use YouTube that kind of defeats the purpose. Also I see no need in adding music to instructional or gameplay videos.

Check out jacksepticeye on YouTube. That's the kind of personality (minus the cursing) that would draw an audience, subscriptions and new\returning players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you don't use YouTube that kind of defeats the purpose. Also I see no need in adding music to instructional or gameplay videos.

Check out jacksepticeye on YouTube. That's the kind of personality (minus the cursing) that would draw an audience, subscriptions and new\returning players.
The point was to post them here. Where people could easily access them.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The point was to post them here. Where people could easily access them.
YouTube is designed to host videos though...Stratics isn't. Stratics even has its own channel on YouTube. You LINK to them here.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't think UO can afford to lose the subscriptions by dealing out archaic punishments like wiping whole accounts. It would also create a negative vibe that would ripple across whole guilds (and the whole game). I could see maybe putting accounts in one-two day jail, but not a complete wipe or ban.

Except in the circumstances where this is being egregiously abused in public spaces by repeat offenders, I also think the limited developer resources would be better used elsewhere rather than spending time and effort looking for, investigating, and policing this AFK-skill macroing activity.

Last edited:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think UO can afford to lose the subscriptions by dealing out archaic punishments like wiping whole accounts. It would also create a negative vibe that would ripple across whole guilds (and the whole game). I could see maybe putting accounts in one-two day jail, but not a complete wipe or ban.

Except in the circumstances where this is being egregiously abused in public spaces by repeat offenders, I also think the limited developer resources would be better used than looking for, investigating, and policing this activity at all.
or a Player with multi-accounts

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, but then it was never implemented and without a reason for not doing so.
Yes a reason was given and it was something along the lines that punkbuster had to many false hits and that they had something better in the works.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OR you could allow for some of these programs that take the monotony out of the game.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If the people that ran this game actually understood the mechanics of it they could easily get rid of majority of the hacks. I've been on free servers where everyone runs the same speed people from different countries no speeder programs help at all. Yet OSI has never been able to do the same it's pretty pathetic really.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the people that ran this game actually understood the mechanics of it they could easily get rid of majority of the hacks. I've been on free servers where everyone runs the same speed people from different countries no speeder programs help at all. Yet OSI has never been able to do the same it's pretty pathetic really.
Rotating the data stream encryption every 3 days via a mini patch would kill most script programs...and UOA.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Rotating the data stream encryption every 3 days via a mini patch would kill most script programs...and UOA.
I don''t see uoa an issue at all if they aren't going to do anything to CC something like that is needed some people aren''t interested in playing EC. But everyone should run the same speed by now a game this old shouldn't have so many speed problems.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A new player has to buy a mythic token or rmt.
No. They dont HAVE to. (see my reply below).

I would imagine folks who stumble onto the game are quickly discouraged in having to train up a character to get going.
Whilst I dont disagree with you, this is an indictment on the modern day mmo gamer, not just in UO but the wider mmo scene. They want it all and they want it now. No patience, no sense of learning or achievement, no enjoyment of the game experience. Its just a mentality of they want to be at the 'end game' as quickly as possible. Lots of the newer games cater to this. UO doesnt as much (but has gone down that route somewhat with mythic tokens SOTs etc). Its a sad state of affairs.

As for wiping accounts I have to agree with Merlin on this one. A wipe would in most cases mean the player just walking away and UO cannot afford to lose the subscriptions. Ive been saying this for a number of years now ... UO is a game that almost condones cheating due to its weak stance on duping, hacking and scripting. It says the right things every now and then but the reality is that these things go on largely unchecked and unpunished and have done for years. Sure every now and again they will make an example of a couple of high profile cheaters but its a drop in the ocean. If they were to enforce the rules and ban all of the scripters, dupers and hackers then its game over. No more UO. The ban ship has sailed ... UO is what it is.

So should they allow afk training/macroing? I dont think it really matters at this point ...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I´m willing to gamble. I say ban the cheaters.
Absolutely terrible idea and waste of developer resources that are already stretched thin. The few employees that Broadsword still has should be focused on developing the game, fixing bugs and trying to increase the subscriber base, not policing AFK scripting activities that aren't causing harm.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The few employees that Broadsword still has should be focused on developing the game, fixing bugs and trying to increase the subscriber base
That brought up a question I have often wondered about... just for kicks and giggles.. how much do you folks figure UO could be purchased for outright? With the current player base it would have to be a far sight from what it was years ago...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That brought up a question I have often wondered about... just for kicks and giggles.. how much do you folks figure UO could be purchased for outright? With the current player base it would have to be a far sight from what it was years ago...
EA isn't in the habit of casually selling off IP. Even if it were, it is unlikely to break up a franchise. The Ultima Franchise spans 18+ games, not including console ports, and nearly 4o(!) years of history, so it would probably be a fairly large figure.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
EA isn't in the habit of casually selling off IP. Even if it were, it is unlikely to break up a franchise. The Ultima Franchise spans 18+ games, not including console ports, and nearly 4o(!) years of history, so it would probably be a fairly large figure.
Beyond that, I don't know if anyone would be willing to pay near what it would be appraised for. You've got a series of single player and online games which had it's last online release close in just over year, and hasn't had a single player release in over a decade. The game is rife with blatant cheating, something any buyer would have to take control of, and it's been admitted that the code base for the game lost a portion of it's documentation during one of the team moves in the past.

It's not a simple matter of how much EA would want for the game, but the evaluation of risk and financial investment that would need to be made after the purchase that makes me think the idea someone would buy it is extremely unlikely.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
All true statements.. at least, I agree with them at any rate. But I once had a friend who was way smarter than I will ever be when it comes to programming who said, "There is no programing situation that can not be resolved. The only question is how much it is going to cost and if anyone wants to throw that much money at it."... That being said.. surely EA could not value the UO franchise at more than the 25-30m range could they? Been trying to google to find what they paid for it years ago and keep drawing blanks.. *shrugs*

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No. They dont HAVE to. (see my reply below).

Whilst I dont disagree with you, this is an indictment on the modern day mmo gamer, not just in UO but the wider mmo scene. They want it all and they want it now. No patience, no sense of learning or achievement, no enjoyment of the game experience. Its just a mentality of they want to be at the 'end game' as quickly as possible. Lots of the newer games cater to this. UO doesnt as much (but has gone down that route somewhat with mythic tokens SOTs etc). Its a sad state of affairs.

As for wiping accounts I have to agree with Merlin on this one. A wipe would in most cases mean the player just walking away and UO cannot afford to lose the subscriptions. Ive been saying this for a number of years now ... UO is a game that almost condones cheating due to its weak stance on duping, hacking and scripting. It says the right things every now and then but the reality is that these things go on largely unchecked and unpunished and have done for years. Sure every now and again they will make an example of a couple of high profile cheaters but its a drop in the ocean. If they were to enforce the rules and ban all of the scripters, dupers and hackers then its game over. No more UO. The ban ship has sailed ... UO is what it is.

So should they allow afk training/macroing? I dont think it really matters at this point ...

i agree that the lack of enforcement, weak stances on duping, hacking scripting ect.. people say they would lose many people from bans if they truly enforced, but everyone I know that quit/leave game is because of cheating and will continue to lose players. in the last 2 months, friends have quit, 32 accounts closed/closing. in my opinion many, many more have left because of cheating than people getting banned for cheating. if truly cheating was truly dealt with, many i know would probably came back. is it that the cheaters out number the non cheaters now? do u think i would want this game to go on steam at this time? i wonder what kind of reviews/posts would be put on steam about the cheating. just my opinions

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Lord Arm On this I totally agree with you... FAR more have left because of Cheating, duping, hacking and scripting than would be gone if they banned those doing it.

The problem is that since NOTHING has been done for so long or next to nothing... And really the scripting, afk macroing, and such is a drop in the bucket compared to how many have left broken hearted who will NEVER return because they were scammed or hacked and then instead of being treated like a true victim where a lot of other games will actually go and see who took what and such and give it back victims in UO are treated like they somehow either deserved to be hacked because they had to have somehow done something to attempt to cheat or they are just told they are stupid and not fall for a scam.... where as if you were playing a game like FFIV or something and were scammed they would actually return what was taken and ban the scammer. They take that stuff seriously... but in UO with EA it's your own frelling fault and you shouldn't be so dumb... and all the blame for everything is placed on the VICTIM further harming the victim IMO..... and those people... they will NEVER return.

The saddest fact of all is that this practice is actually praised as a great thing and laughed about. But what about the victims of hacks? They more often than not get nothing back... infact sometimes the hackers go so far as to completely destroy the account deleting all the precious characters... and nothing is done.... and when an account is returned they won't even change it's name for you so that the hacker still has your account name all they need is to rediscover your password... Sometimes they already know the safeguards you put in... or changed them to suit themselves. In many other games if you get hacked they give your stuff back.... they track the hacker and ban them. Many of us no mater what EA says have hundred of dollars invested in our accounts, between houses, items, time, armor, weapons and everything.... and to have that all taken ..... IMO is like having someone walk into your RL home and take everything down to the last outlet cover and you feel just as violated.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Lord Arm
how many have left broken hearted who will NEVER return because they were scammed or hacked and then instead of being treated like a true victim where a lot of other games will actually go and see who took what and such and give it back victims in UO are treated like they somehow either deserved to be hacked

It really should be allowed....

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Absolutely terrible idea and waste of developer resources that are already stretched thin. The few employees that Broadsword still has should be focused on developing the game, fixing bugs and trying to increase the subscriber base, not policing AFK scripting activities that aren't causing harm.
Skill training I can agree they are not causing harm, resource and gold farming they cause a lot of harm.