• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Spellcasting

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any Pet or NPC that has spell casting abilities, these mobs/npcs que up a series of spells (normally 2 spells but some do 3) based on what's allowed in their spell-set. the limited range of a spell-casting mob is 10 tiles* (if you're close enough to shoot it with a composite bow, it's close enough to cast spells on you).

#1) If a mob or pet casts one spell on you while you're within range, the 2nd spell will hit you even if you're out of range. Intended?

*Note: Firebreath from Dreads, nightmares, dragons/equivalent is 8 tiles you need to be within range of this when the pet begins to perform the breath attack.

#2) Pets or even NPC's are able to cast spells while they're paralyzed (IF they are actively trying to attack something), normally a pet will magic arrow itself which breaks paralyze. Intended?

I think this change is relatively new (say maybe within the last 2 years) I'm also sure it was an undocumented change.

Last edited:

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you be more specific about which pets and which spells you are referring?
Any spell caster can cast off screen. Pixies and dreadmares are the worst offenders. Pixies mainly cast small spells. A dreadmare can get off a firebreath/fs while off screen. And they will also cast while paralyzed.

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
Can you be more specific about which pets and which spells you are referring?
Thanks for continuing to answer our posts!

Of the 5-6 pets used in all of UO (dreads, greater dragons, cu's,beetles,kitsunes, and summons ( pixies and vollems)), all the ones that cast spells can hit you offscreen.

In my experience, dreads and dragons will only hit you offscreen with their fireball/firebreath and explosions (but this makes sense as both spells are delayed in dealing damage and so you have time to run off screen before being hit).

However, all the other pets will hit you with a variety of spells (as I recall it's usually a combination of explosion, curse, lightning, energy bolt, and magic arrow/fireball/firebreath). I don't think ive ever been hit with a poison or paralyze offscreen but that could be because i put 120 resist on just about all of my chars.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As ConvenantX said, monsters cast two spells at the same time. If you get hit with one spell you will always be hit by the second.

Fire breathing lands even before the animation starts. If you are in range and get targeted with fire breath it doesn't matter how far you run.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As ConvenantX said, monsters cast two spells at the same time. If you get hit with one spell you will always be hit by the second.

Fire breathing lands even before the animation starts. If you are in range and get targeted with fire breath it doesn't matter how far you run.
Ok, that seems broken to me?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's awesome. Only shows how outdated and not thought out it is.
You can argue that it could be changed. But there is obviously a reason they decided to have it so monsters target you with 2 spells at the same time. Likely to increase the difficulty of fighting them. They can't chase you down like a player can.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can argue that it could be changed. But there is obviously a reason they decided to have it so monsters target you with 2 spells at the same time. Likely to increase the difficulty of fighting them. They can't chase you down like a player can.
Well then maybe the fix is for controlled pets and summons. I don't care about how many spells mobs cast.