• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Would this be like the last day of UO - Blizzard shuts down priv WOW server

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well, if it ever has to happen, and let's face it... the ride ain't and can't last forever.. hopefully they do it with a final global arc to where we all fail miserably and the Void takes everything over slowly leaving nothing but WBB being the last to go.

Reactions: THP

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow that game looks terrible..on a side note...Go to the uo store and type in Ultima Online..you get a 404 error.or at least I did.however you can type in exactly what you want and it will show up...just kinda weird.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not really sure what you're getting at here.

I would imagine if UO could close freeshards (for UO) the official shards would see more people joining.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

I would imagine if UO could close freeshards (for UO) the official shards would see more people joining.
What's really scary about Blizzard closing that emulated server.... I doubt all the UO Freeshards have that many people on them combined. I read an article about this a few days ago and that server was logging 850,000 active players.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's really scary about Blizzard closing that emulated server.... I doubt all the UO Freeshards have that many people on them combined. I read an article about this a few days ago and that server was logging 850,000 active players.
Right, but it doesn't change the fact those people aren't contributing to UO, they might be playing it... but they're not supporting the real thing.
Same goes for those WoW players in the OP, those people now have wasted their time playing what seems to be an extremely popular free server, for nothing.
Now those people are either going to quit, find another free server, or they're going to play the official servers. (this is where Blizzard wins)

Either way. It's a good thing that they're able to do this.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hold the bloody Phone......

It took years to get the courts to get down to the final point to close that "Wana be Wow free" shard.
I would hate to see the amount of money it took Blizzard to do so....

Now had EA gone after all the "free" shards that popped up over the years for UO the company would have gone broke..

WoW made 15$ per account per month for how many years? Remember they gave us the number of accounts open...
Let's say the last 10 years.... 10 to 15 million players... That's a lot of chump change!

Now compare the number of UO players in that amount of years.... * I have a rather good guess that we were only once close to 3/4s of a million players..* I do have a rough number we were all given once at 250k player base, and for up to half our years we paid 9.99 then to 12.99.

EA might be a big shot in the stand alone game .. but as far as online.... your comparing apples to grapefruit!

Those people knew they were in the wrong... and it took big bucks to stop it and a whole hell of a lot of time in court.

So please stop the aw and too bad for them... routine.... They were all guilty of theft. Get real.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It took years to get the courts to get down to the final point to close that "Wana be Wow free" shard.

Now had EA gone after all the "free" shards that popped up over the years for UO the company would have gone broke..

WoW made 15$ per account per month for how many years? Remember they gave us the number of accounts open...
Let's say the last 10 years.... 10 to 15 million players... That's a lot of chump change!

Now compare the number of UO players in that amount of years.... * I have a rather good guess that we were only once close to 3/4s of a million players..* I do have a rough number we were all given once at 250k player base, and for up to half our years we paid 9.99 then to 12.99.

EA might be a big shot in the stand alone game .. but as far as online.... your comparing apples to grapefruit!

Those people knew they were in the wrong... and it took big bucks to stop it and a whole hell of a lot of time in court.

So please stop the aw and too bad for them... routine.... They were all guilty of theft. Get real.

Um can I just say WoW since this so fitting. You should read the article before you posted. Below is a link for one they did in 2010.

Blizzard Wins $88M Judgment Against WoW Private Server Owner

Here is some tidbits from the article....

The total award includes over $3 million in disgorged profits, $85.4 million in statutory damages and $64,000 in attorney's fees. Reeves had not responded to the suit, resulting in the default judgment in favor of Blizzard.

It cost Blizzard 64k in attorney fees. That's is nothing to them. It be nothing to EA either.

The judge's order said Blizzard "submitted satisfactory evidence from third-party PayPal Inc. showing that Defendant’s PayPal account received $3,052,339 in gross revenues."
The guy was charging for things calling them donations and PayPal was the death blow that showed he was making money.

Here is the one below the OP posted about.

Blizzard shuts down popular fan-run “pirate” server for classic WoW

Tidbit from the article....

But the team behind Nostalrius says its French hosting provider has been issued a formal letter asking it to shut down the servers or face a potential copyright infringement lawsuit. As such, the servers will be shut down on April 10.

This one was basically warned before any legal action was taken. It's pretty obvious that the first article I posted they were making money so they were sued and lost in court. The second article link there is no mention of profits being made so they were warned or legal course would be taken and the game was taken down on April 10th.

So really 64k for one court case and they basically won 88 million in court. They most likely didn't collect that much but still covered their costs at least. Now they can threaten any free server of the game and basically shut them down.

Now EA can do this if they wanted. The key word is wanted. They don't and most likely won't. Why? UO is not their priority. WoW makes more in a month than UO has in its 20 years in existence. Nobody was doing the awe and to bad for them routine in this thread. Yes they were guilty of theft. Blizzard has proved that in court. EA has done nothing to stop free shards so they haven't proved any theft in a court of law. Its the posters on forums say it but EA really doesn't do anything about it. EA owns UO. They can only prove theft. Not you, or the other guy or me. Unless EA does and accuse it of theft and prove it in court then its theft :)

I like to know how you come up with 750k players in UO. Its never been stated that high. Never ever. Accounts and players are comparing apples and oranges.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol, well if that was UO then there's only one server that would come close too that many players online.

On a side note, yo can tell WOW is in trouble now with subs as it's finally closing private servers that it didn't use to bother about when it claimed it had over 10 mill subs.......lol they wish they ever had that many....lol

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Blizzard certainly isn't hurting for cash that's for sure but they know how to treat their customers and they put out good looking products.

They aren't doing just WoW.... look at Diablo.... it still has thousands of players... they have a bunch of other games as well that do just fine... But they also spend a whole lot on advertising as well... how many WoW commercials have you seen on TV? With Stars even like Ozzy Osborn promoting the game... not like I think the man could even figure out how to kill anything or even walk around in the game but... meh...

Anyway apples and oranges for sure.... EA loses out on millions of dollars every year simply because they don't know how to run their own store... they lack good customer service and they treat their customers like thieves and liars.

"If" EA were to fund a new client and all (if we are dreaming about it).... I'd want them to get the artists and all that do the Sims to come up with the art and such for the game.... they know how to make a character and they know how to do house designs and deco... Anyway I think it would be amazing.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think you misunderstood that statistic. Some of the old developers have said that the highest amount of active subscriptions UO has ever had at one time was 250k and that was in 2003 right after Age of Shadows came out. They also said the amount of subscriptions dropped like a rock after that and was about 100k in 2005.

So, if it was 100k In 2005 I would be very surprised if there is even 15k active subscriptions left right now.

keyvan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's funny because the same things apply for uo.
EA runnied the game after AOS in 2005

Last edited:

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How did the phone get bloody??

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I think the days of the MMO played on-screen are numbered now.
The clever companies are already well into developing the next gen MMO that will be played VR.
Who-ever brings out the best new VR MMO will quite easily become the next WOW.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

No I think uo peaked at 250k

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I think you misunderstood that statistic. Some of the old developers have said that the highest amount of active subscriptions UO has ever had at one time was 250k and that was in 2003 right after Age of Shadows came out. They also said the amount of subscriptions dropped like a rock after that and was about 100k in 2005.

So, if it was 100k In 2005 I would be very surprised if there is even 15k active subscriptions left right now.
I don't know about the UO numbers but I do remember connecting at 28.8k baud to open 'the chest' only to find that the server was full........

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I bet you are really close on that number. And considering we are all vets mostly with multiple accounts, I imagine the actual number of payers/players is 5k or less...borderline

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well.... kinda easy to figure out. Hit all the shards counting houses that are not in decay. Time consuming? Sure, but easy ;)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blizzard certainly isn't hurting for cash that's for sure but they know how to treat their customers and they put out good looking products.

They aren't doing just WoW.... look at Diablo.... it still has thousands of players... they have a bunch of other games as well that do just fine... But they also spend a whole lot on advertising as well... how many WoW commercials have you seen on TV? With Stars even like Ozzy Osborn promoting the game... not like I think the man could even figure out how to kill anything or even walk around in the game but... meh...

Anyway apples and oranges for sure.... EA loses out on millions of dollars every year simply because they don't know how to run their own store... they lack good customer service and they treat their customers like thieves and liars.

"If" EA were to fund a new client and all (if we are dreaming about it).... I'd want them to get the artists and all that do the Sims to come up with the art and such for the game.... they know how to make a character and they know how to do house designs and deco... Anyway I think it would be amazing.
I'm sure that when the "Warcraft" movie is released on June 10th, that may also help Blizzard out quite a bit. My husband saw the preview for it last time we went to the theater and said it looked good. He isn't into video games at all, so he was a little bit disappointed to find out it has some ties to a game, and a mighty popular one at that.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So really 64k for one court case and they basically won 88 million in court. They most likely didn't collect that much but still covered their costs at least. Now they can threaten any free server of the game and basically shut them down.
Impressive numbers so you can see why Blizzard would pursue this. As you also said, UOs revenue doesn't even come close. EA would probably spend 64k on court costs and be awarded 30k in lost revenue.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Don't bet on that. These exist many times because UO went in a direction the FS players didn't like and they walked. Also many have items or abilities that UO just does not have ... because the owners are willing to invest in the game.

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blizzard has a right to their property, so I get it. However, I do feel bad for people who never got to, and now maybe will not be able to, experience "vanilla" WoW with such a bustling community. The release of WoW and those first couple years were really something.

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Why is this the end for the server?
They release the server code, so a few dozen of those servers will pop up. :p
Today is also the day where Nostalrius will start being community-driven in the truest sense of the word, as we will be releasing the source code, and anonymized players data (encrypting personal account data), so the community as a whole will decide the form of the future of Nostalrius. We will still be there in the background if you want us to, but will no longer take the lead.
Same with UO - It will live for quite some time - as long as there are fans out there.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Blizzard has a right to their property, so I get it. However, I do feel bad for people who never got to, and now maybe will not be able to, experience "vanilla" WoW with such a bustling community. The release of WoW and those first couple years were really something.
I played on Nostalrius. When the shutdown notice came, the guild I had just joined was re-formed on a different well-populated Vanilla server the same day. Sucks that everyone lost their progress, but whatever, that's what can happen with freeshards. I didn't stick around though. Decided I'd rather find a nice populated WotLK server with sped-up leveling.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
At the end of the video, did I see "April Fool"..... :confused: I'm pretty sure those words were there briefly at the end.

Edit: Never mind. I watched it a second time and couldn't find it. Maybe my new glasses were playing tricks on me. *sigh*

Last edited:

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For sure UO's last day would have to include The Return Of The King!!! He said he would be back... still waiting... and waiting... years... lol :p

So something like this and we all ride out in our uber gear/mount to a final crusade story arc where there is no return and everyone dies, the END. Would be pretty epic! :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For sure UO's last day would have to include The Return Of The King!!! He said he would be back... still waiting... and waiting... years... lol :p

So something like this and we all ride out in our uber gear/mount to a final crusade story arc where there is no return and everyone dies, the END. Would be pretty epic! :)

He already came back actually, about a year and a half ago he logged into his Lord British account and hosted an event on Test Shard with Starr Long playing his real Lord Blackthorn account too. It was pretty fun. Was nice to see them back in the realm of Sosaria. Even Rainz came to the event, (the guy who killed Lord British in the UO beta).

Here is the link to the thread about it: !!! Richard Garriott and Starr Long paid a visit to UO in 9/25/2014 !!!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I look at life in general is the same way I do my hobbies. When the enjoyment is gone its time to find new things.

This being said all things come to an end. Even the fun stuff. Never dwell on what ifs. Live each day as you would want and play each day as it was your last. Enjoy what you like in UO. Play it your way.

When it does come to an end one thing that EA can't take away from you. Is the memories UO has given each and everyone of us. The good and bad but they are ours to remember.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The server did not have 850,000 active players. It did have 18,000. Maybe 850,000 registered accounts. And lets face it, if WoD wasn't so bad after the initial content it wouldn't be as popular by far.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am gonna list a bunch of games on steam right now.. Bare with me..

Dragon's Dogma
Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Cities Skylines
Torchlight II
Fallout 3 & 4
Fallout New Vegas
Dark Souls 1, 2 & 3
The Witcher 1, 2 & 3
Ark: Survival Evolved
Call of Duty (all of them)
Left 4 Dead 2
Just Cause 2
The Sims 3
Mount & Blade Warband
Farming Simulator
Flight Simulator
Train Simulator
Grand Theft Auto IV
Almost every Star Wars game
Half-Life

Phew.. Now that I got that our of the way..

What do they ALL have in common?

Mods.. And if anyone has played Ark, you know you can open up your own server with easily up to 64 players and mod the hell out of it.. This is the future of gaming and MMO developers need to get in on it and allow players to make changes to their game by allowing them to open up their own servers just like you can in Ark and if you can open up an unofficial server in Ark, in UO it should be no problem.. And I have been on freeshards, I know this from experience, the main reason people play them is so they can make the changes in the game that they want to see but wouldn't get on an official server.. Skyrim is the most heavily modded game in existence and it made it one of the best.. And it didn't hurt the game, all it did was make more people buy the game and it became one of the most popular PC games.. Anyways, I hope people see where I am getting at..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The other thing to note is that some of those listed are indeed EA games...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The other thing to note is that some of those listed are indeed EA games...
But when you look at titles on Steam they are all titles that were placed on Steam before EA's announcement they wouldn't be placing titles on Valve's distribution system anymore. It's one thing for them to continue to support titles that already has significant sales on Steam, another to add new titles there.