• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please shorten Another Character Is Online timer

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
Please shorten the timer for "Another character from this account is currently online in this world..."

I've escaped. I'm not in the same part of the world where the combat took place. I am in a safe place to log out, and I logged out.

I can see how this would be unbalanced in a PvP situation, so... have this timer come into play ONLY when the character has the PvP flag on.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do you actual think they could find that line of 20 year old code and tweak it???
it took them 6 months to fix the brand new code... to make the brand new atlas's usable.

Pipe dream!!! :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good luck, and get ready for the "that's what the camping skill is for" responses.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've complained about it for years... I don't know how many times I've come home to a mongbat at my house my character autofires at it and I have to wait to switch characters... very annoying. Another thing that sometimes causes this is logging in and having your trapped chest go off as the game opens everything in your pack and then counts that as you being hit and flags you so you can't instant log. Very annoying.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True dat. How many times have I recalled home to swap to my spell weaver to grab a focus. Smack some monster outside my house and then have to wait however long it is.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The two minute timer is fine. I could see asking for it to be changed if it was 5 or 10 minutes, but that's not the case.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's actually TWO timers being talked about here.

The timer from combat, even just autodefending, is two minutes.

The timer for characters not logged out in a safe area/campsite is 5 minutes.

These two timers don't play nice with each other either. Say you autodefend due to a pesky mongbat as you recall home and enter your plot: combat timer tripped. You then log that character out in the safety of your home. You now get to wait the full 5 minutes since the game ignores the safe logout part and focuses only on the recent combat timer. However, you can log back in and then back out which usually resolves the confused timer (as long as the 2 min combat timer has elapsed).

The combat timer made more sense pre-Trammel and continues to make sense when/where PvP is concerned. You don't want people instalogging to avoid death, or to immediately swap to another character on the same account.

Now though, PvM should never trip the combat timer.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but seriously here folks....walk in house...hide, log out....log in, move, hide again and relog ... and 95% of the time that resolves the issue as long as all you did was auto defend. Also always disarm before recalling home.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
OOC:
Please shorten the timer for "Another character from this account is currently online in this world..."
This brought to mind a couple of things related, after all these years I just kind of automatically accept it but since its been brought up, heres my 2 cents...

• Logging in/out constantly is a pain in the ass while trying to switch character with no visible timer. Solution - Just add a combat debuff that we can see so we know whether we can log out safely or not. This can sort of be done currently by bringing up your char contect menu, if the vendor search is greyed out it's a good indication you cant log out (unless of course the vendor search is offline/broken). But add a visual of some sort, can't be that hard?
  • Linked to the logging in/out why does it have to drop you to the password entry point everytime we want to switch char, ok it only takes a few seconds to tap in a password but when your character is flagged and your logging in/out of characters trying to get around the timers it gets annoying.

Clearly these are not bugs and have never reported them as such but if a lil change could be made for these instances, I'd be the first to welcome it.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here's a thought...

Much like the 'War/Peace' option on the paperdoll. War = Red, Peace = Blue.

Using the Same Logic for the 'Log Out' button. In Combat/Flagged = Red, Out of Combat = Blue

:thumbup:

And maybe shorten the timer a lil bit ;) 50% maybe

Last edited:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PVP: get attacked? just logout instantly
PVM: about to die? just logout instantly

The timers are reasonable. If they were reduced or removed it would hurt specific situations where they are meant to be there. Your party is getting raided at a champion spawn and you just got a 120 Magery. Just force quit UO and now your scroll is completely safe. Or stealth into the middle of a bunch of players and logout if you are worried about getting revealed.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The timers are reasonable. If they were reduced or removed it would hurt specific situations where they are meant to be there. Your party is getting raided at a champion spawn and you just got a 120 Magery. Just force quit UO and now your scroll is completely safe. Or stealth into the middle of a bunch of players and logout if you are worried about getting revealed.
Nobody is asking to be able to log out instantly anywhere in the world.

People are asking to not have to deal with a stupid PvM combat timer when logging out in a safe location (house, inn, etc) PvP combat would be the only thing to keep the timer active. If you logged out in an unsafe location, the current 5min timeout would remain.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I think that you still have to go to a safe log out location... you can't insta log anywhere... but we are saying that if I come home and hit a Mongbat or an ogre outside flags on me it shouldn't make me unable to log ....

We aren't talking about letting people log out safely anywere that would just be wrong... and since you can't just recall out of a champ that's not going to be a problem..

And if you were involved in actual PvP the time would still apply.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nobody is asking to be able to log out instantly anywhere in the world.

People are asking to not have to deal with a stupid PvM combat timer when logging out in a safe location (house, inn, etc) PvP combat would be the only thing to keep the timer active. If you logged out in an unsafe location, the current 5min timeout would remain.
So what if that PVP is happening at a campsite, in an inn, or in a house?

Lord Trollo

Adventurer
given that there are simple exploits around each of the timers, they need to either fix those exploits or just make it all instant.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This gets old for me, and yes it is my choice to place my houses in some of the heaviest overland spawn areas in the game, so I don't complain about it and am not complaining. But I would not complain either if once inside the house I could insta log without the timer. Not uncommon to come home to 3-4 reapers in range of the porch, 2-4 Tsuki wolves hung up on the porch and ninja or two being supported by a kazee kemono thinging all hitting me when I arrive home.. On the other hand it is only two minutes.... same amount of time to use a soul stone after combat, so I just hot the soul stone and when it works I know I can log out.

Balrog

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
A guild mate gave me a tip that I use to this day in dealing with this timer. She said to try to use a soulstone. As soon as you're able to do it, you're able to log out. This saves you from trying to log over and over, never knowing when the timer ends. Try to use a soulstone. That's what she said.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These timers are a crappy waste of time. Away with them, I say!