• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lower Mana Cost Bugged Chars

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It came to my attention a while ago that there are certain people that are lower mana cost bugged. When they are wearing nothing at all it still shows up as having lmc on their status bar. When adding armor, it stacks on top of this lmc. I have talked to multiple people that have this going on. Everyone that has a bugged character has a different amount of lmc. I know this is a fact because I myself found a bugged character on my account.

Are devs aware of this? It gives obvious advantages when building suits.

@Mesanna @Kyronix

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. I know a guy with 24 LMC while naked. Had to do with copying a character to that arena test server, if I recall.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The same bug exists with defense/hit chance increase. It is possible any kind of item property could be affected.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want things fixed, take pics of your naked character and bugged skills/stats and send them to the bugs email. Realistically, while posting on a forum "may" spring some interest, that way is WAY quicker and more reliable. It just looks like complaining or seeking attention if you post on here instead of going through the proper channels.

On a side note, the spellsongs do all kinds of wonky stuff when you use them and die or log out and such. U can permanently drop your HPs and go in to negative DCI&HCI soooo be careful when testing or "trying" to abuse the system. Just saying lol.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want things fixed, take pics of your naked character and bugged skills/stats and send them to the bugs email. Realistically, while posting on a forum "may" spring some interest, that way is WAY quicker and more reliable. It just looks like complaining or seeking attention if you post on here instead of going through the proper channels.

On a side note, the spellsongs do all kinds of wonky stuff when you use them and die or log out and such. U can permanently drop your HPs and go in to negative DCI&HCI soooo be careful when testing or "trying" to abuse the system. Just saying lol.
I prefer a channel to make everyone aware and get answers. They supposedly should be responding to these posts. Apparently they pick and choose which to respond to though, even if something is directed at them.

I have sent stuff into the bugs email and they don't let me so much as know that they received it and reviewed it. I do not want to waste my time in that case.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

I completely disagree with this. For starters all that would do is fix the current player, not ALL players with this bug. Why should we expect everyone to be on the Honor system when everyone seeks for an advantage over the rest?

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
I prefer a channel to make everyone aware and get answers. They supposedly should be responding to these posts. Apparently they pick and choose which to respond to though, even if something is directed at them.

I have sent stuff into the bugs email and they don't let me so much as know that they received it and reviewed it. I do not want to waste my time in that case.
This again and again. There's currently no method to the madness that is getting the Dev's to respond to help requests/bugs.

Some folks that like to role play and do events say that Mesanna responds to their emails directly, she's never done it for me.

In some threads a Dev will come in and say "we're aware", "we're working on it", hell sometimes they have an exchange with folks...the majority of the time they're silent and you only know they've seen your thread because they'll release a fix that is either related or semi-related to what you posted about (sometimes they're fixes introduce more problems and are half baked, specifically because they clearly didn't engage with players (ie. most attempts to fix factions)).

I too used to submit stuff through the bugs email address, never heard anything back, and many of the bugs I reported are still around today...

This one just so happens to be one of them!

@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna , please look into this and fix this!

I think Lox could be on to something with the bard songs and buffs, as I recall the bug started popping up around the time those were getting introduced...

Also @Captn Norrington & other Stratics mods, to help with organizing pvp-related posts/bugs, could we get our own sub-forum???

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Old Vet Back Again if you explained to them how it was done, or how you even -think- it was done, it gives them some sort of idea where to go about fixing.

On top of that, it doesn't feed the public trolls or expansive thinking of the minds of 'smarter' players to go and figure out what happened and abuse the things themselves. All the while, the DEVs are still clueless as to how this happened, and all you did was start a wildfire of either bad criticism on them or made an even bigger "pathway" in to others wanting to bug their character for their own usage.

Through your thinking (and several others apparently), your mindset is to make the bugs/problems/etc more widely used in hope of them fixing it sooner. Don't you see something wrong with this scenario? You are creating a bigger problem, not fixing the original one.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just needs a reset like they did for the speed cu's years back :) Shouldn't be to hard to get everyone back to equal lmc

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Old Vet Back Again if you explained to them how it was done, or how you even -think- it was done, it gives them some sort of idea where to go about fixing.

On top of that, it doesn't feed the public trolls or expansive thinking of the minds of 'smarter' players to go and figure out what happened and abuse the things themselves. All the while, the DEVs are still clueless as to how this happened, and all you did was start a wildfire of either bad criticism on them or made an even bigger "pathway" in to others wanting to bug their character for their own usage.

Through your thinking (and several others apparently), your mindset is to make the bugs/problems/etc more widely used in hope of them fixing it sooner. Don't you see something wrong with this scenario? You are creating a bigger problem, not fixing the original one.
I have no clue as to how it was done. Hell, I don't have a clue as to when it was done. After I heard about it, I looked on every character I had on every shard and found one. It was on a character I barely played on a different server (great lakes).

Me sending it directly to them would probably result in that specific character getting fixed and not help the actual issue at hand. I am not going to speculate as to how it happened. From what I have gathered it seems very random. And I have not done anything bard related or anything related like that that could have given that character a bug with buffs.

There should be some fix to just start everybody back at 0 when naked for lmc, lrc, hci, dci, etc, etc.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If you want things fixed, take pics of your naked character and bugged skills/stats and send them to the bugs email.
lol... Yeah... because all those folks running around with a highly positive bugged character will report themselves :gee:

I would prefer some coding in the system that automatically wipes EVERY character to zero on everything while naked. But would imagine that would be a huge pita do accomplish. Realizing there are folks out there with a huge advantage is probably just something we are all going to have to live with sadly.

Oscar the Grouch

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
This again and again. There's currently no method to the madness that is getting the Dev's to respond to help requests/bugs.

Some folks that like to role play and do events say that Mesanna responds to their emails directly, she's never done it for me.

In some threads a Dev will come in and say "we're aware", "we're working on it", hell sometimes they have an exchange with folks...the majority of the time they're silent and you only know they've seen your thread because they'll release a fix that is either related or semi-related to what you posted about (sometimes they're fixes introduce more problems and are half baked, specifically because they clearly didn't engage with players (ie. most attempts to fix factions)).

I too used to submit stuff through the bugs email address, never heard anything back, and many of the bugs I reported are still around today...

I think Lox could be on to something with the bard songs and buffs, as I recall the bug started popping up around the time those were getting introduced...

Also @Captn Norrington & other Stratics mods, to help with organizing pvp-related posts/bugs, could we get our own sub-forum???
What would the expectations be of a PVP related forum? Normally I hear "Devs only read UHALL so why would I post elsewhere" do you think that would be the case with this? I am open to the discussion.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No attack on you @PaithanTheElf just stating things for general knowledge. Also, if you have checked things out in test center (which 99% of people who read this probably haven't bc when I was on there, there wasn't a soul) you would see how buggy a lot of stuff is when it "displays" way more than a normal shard/character does overhead. So a lot of wonky stuff happens, but I always attributed it more to the ability to swap skills and stats in just a few seconds and less in actual "game coding/mechanics". But perhaps some things are just " random" and happen for no reason. But if people spot it right away, or can reproduce the bug, they should PROPERLY address it to the correct channels, not told on the forums "Everyone is doing it, so it's okay, don't bother with it, it will fix itself eventually." You know?

PS: Coming back after years off, a TON has changed, so test center is actually a huge help getting caught up on mechanics and caps and such that UO Stratics && UOGuide doesn't have full information on. So let's not assume things about people being on test center for 'nefarious' reasonings.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
43 lmc no properties naked.jpg

So, I've posted this pic before, the character is Still bugged while naked and has 40 lmc. It's a nice little bug, I wish I knew how it happened, but regardless, the suit I use still has 40/55 lmc on the character anyway, but there are a few people out there that have characters with 40 lmc and use it as an advantage.

I also have a character that's bugged and is unable to be "webbed" by Navrey, which is pvm only, but it still should be fixed.
(I'm not sure how to reproduce either of these bugs, otherwise I would have reported them myself)

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That could potentially be a great idea @Oscar the Grouch but it would certainly need to be policed well. A lot of people either assume others are (in)directly attacking them about things they've posted, or someone with another side of things/opinions is *WRONG WRONG WRONG*.

As long as people can keep it civil, I am sure the Devs would have a much easier time sifting through that sort of page (and perhaps even being able to contact said person in a more private manner) to fix and compute random problems and bugs that maybe other player types (Casuals, PVMers, RPers, etc) may seldom ly encounter.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 46133

So, I've posted this pic before, the character is Still bugged while naked and has 40 lmc. It's a nice little bug, I wish I knew how it happened, but regardless, the suit I use still has 40/55 lmc on the character anyway, but there are a few people out there that have characters with 40 lmc and use it as an advantage.

I also have a character that's bugged and is unable to be "webbed" by Navrey, which is pvm only, but it still should be fixed.
(I'm not sure how to reproduce either of these bugs, otherwise I would have reported them myself)

See that's excellent. Now you have visable proof that a Dev can see. Have you tested out things on it? The very first thing I would suggest is copying it to test center and seeing if it duplicates with the bugged LMC. After that, I would try some of the following...

Have you died? Gotten spell songed to see if you can fix it/break it more? Have you tried actual special moves/spells to make sure it isnt just a display bug? All kinds of methods to test things out. And obviously, have you bothers to tell a Dev or GM about this? These are all things that a Dev could take down as information in to fixing a problem like this.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
See that's excellent. Now you have visable proof that a Dev can see. Have you tested out things on it? The very first thing I would suggest is copying it to test center and seeing if it duplicates with the bugged LMC. After that, I would try some of the following...

Have you died? Gotten spell songed to see if you can fix it/break it more? Have you tried actual special moves/spells to make sure it isnt just a display bug? All kinds of methods to test things out. And obviously, have you bothers to tell a Dev it GM about this? All things that a Dev could take down as information in to fixing a problem like this.
I've tried most of those things.

The bard songs debuff you if you logout/in or lose connection while under the song affects, you'll lose DI,HCI,DCI,Casting Focus, you'll take a % more damage (reverse effect of swamp dragon armor) but all the bard song effects always seem to get fixed by logging out/in again while NOT under the effect of the song(s).

Character copy = still LMC bugged on TC & on LS

This is where I had originally posted the pic If someone is walking around a guard zone asking for Night Sight...

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
What would the expectations be of a PVP related forum? Normally I hear "Devs only read UHALL so why would I post elsewhere" do you think that would be the case with this? I am open to the discussion.
Thanks for the response! This is the exact type of interaction I would hope a pvp-subforum would encourage.

It would be a place to consolidate pvp-related bugs, ideas/enhancements, and dialogue (it's pvp related, so this will ultimately have to include some trash talk probably), and make it easier for the Dev's to sort through topics and interact with the pvp community.

Of course, this is all predicated on the idea that the Dev's will be willing to chime in, but I think it's still worth a shot!

Personally, I'd nominate @JC the Builder to be the mod since he already oversees a pvp forum and has been able to strike a balance between allowing pvp-related banter while also maintaining some level of dialogue and sense of community. Whether or not he wants to do it is another topic entirely.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

You just explained a possibility on how to permanently buff/debuff stats...

How is what I stated asking to make bugs more public?? I didn't ask for a way to replicate it. All I did was say I disagreed with your opinion and told you why.

This issue along with any other unfair advantages need to be fixed and bringing it to their attention via stratics brings about more results than emailing them. Countless things have been fixed in the past 12 months posting here on stratics instead of emailing them.

Perfect example was the help stuck to tram haven regardless of being red/blue. I think Arnold reported it and it got a hot fix.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
When talking about characters who can only be fixed by being deleted... Let's not forget focus bugged mystics... Aka characters who don't need any Focus to support Mysticism. Also having Focus doesn't further increase their damage. Old guildmate from my PvM days used to have one on Baja.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've had a character like that for a years now. My suits have the lmc stat on them anyway, but I could see how this could be a bit unbalancing lol. Good thing I couldn't pvp to save my life! No Idea how he became bugged though.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is, people report the bugs, then they get ignored....

Here's another old thread on the topic, dating back to 2012,
I have base LMC of 26...naked!!!!
however there are links in even this old thread to a thread that predated this. (no longer in existence)

I keep asking Messana for some sort of accountability for the lack of bug fixing that the devs seem to be getting away with. It's disgusting.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It is true that Messana will generally only respond to role player requests, however we have a system in our guild where if we have a bug/exploit that needs to be addressed, we will disclose the information to the roleplayer and if the roleplayer deems it to also affect trammel players, they will then email Messana on our behalf (if we're lucky). Hope this helps.

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
It is true that Messana will generally only respond to role player requests, however we have a system in our guild where if we have a bug/exploit that needs to be addressed, we will disclose the information to the roleplayer and if the roleplayer deems it to also affect trammel players, they will then email Messana on our behalf (if we're lucky). Hope this helps.
No offense, but that doesn't help at all.

For one, I only pvp, I don't know any roleplayers.

Second, I hate to think that roleplayers are the gatekeepers for what bugs do/don't get addressed.

The main point: there's a problem with Dev interaction and support; this doesn't address the problem, it's just how to take advantage of the broken system...

@Mesanna has set a terrible precedent for how support and player interaction/feedback is administered and collected...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can guarantee we are NOT the gatekeepers for what does or doesn't get fixed.

I thought the last publish was supposed to be some big bug fix push... or the one before that...

My guess is that most folk who are bugged to have extra properties don't say a word... why would they? Hey I'm bugged I have 50 LMC naked... why would you say that..... no you'd just build yourself a new suit and add other properties to it and give yourself a massive advantage...

I'm fairly certain that none of my characters are bugged like that. Question is if it's actually working at the lower mana cost or if it isn't.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm fairly certain that none of my characters are bugged like that. Question is if it's actually working at the lower mana cost or if it isn't.
It does actively reduce the mana cost of all specials and spells. Also, the highest I've ever seen anyone have their LMC bug is 40.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It does actively reduce the mana cost of all specials and spells. Also, the highest I've ever seen anyone have their LMC bug is 40.
My guess is that most bugged people aren't going to report it unless it adversely affects their character..... so long as they are getting free LMC I highly doubt anyone has really reported it.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
My guess is that most bugged people aren't going to report it unless it adversely affects their character..... so long as they are getting free LMC I highly doubt anyone has really reported it.
Of course not. The only solution is for the devs to do a complete reset of all characters base values. The devs can either do that, claim they don't have the capability to do so, or continue to ignore the issue. I think we all know which of these is most likely.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Of course not. The only solution is for the devs to do a complete reset of all characters base values. The devs can either do that, claim they don't have the capability to do so, or continue to ignore the issue. I think we all know which of these is most likely.
Sadly yes but the other choice is to give everyone the bonus and then we are all even.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sadly yes but the other choice is to give everyone the bonus and then we are all even.
In other news major league baseball has issued a statement allowing steroid use. After all, others are obviously abusing them.

Kinda sounds silly doesn't it?

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't call effectively removing a core suit/item mechanic from the game a "choice" relative to the other options. Most notably because if the devs are able to adjust everyone's LMC value to 40 (while wearing nothing), they can do the same to adjust everyone's LMC value to the correct 0 (while wearing nothing).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wouldn't call effectively removing a core suit/item mechanic from the game a "choice" relative to the other options. Most notably because if the devs are able to adjust everyone's LMC value to 40 (while wearing nothing), they can do the same to adjust everyone's LMC value to the correct 0 (while wearing nothing).
Yes but do you honestly think they can go around and look to see who is and isn't bugged? I don't think they can and I seriously doubt they can globally fix it... and if someone had the advantage do you really think they would voluntarily come forward to have it fixed? Just like reporting it I'm willing to bet that a vast majority would not. Even if you said if you don't have it fixed in the next week then you risk being banned for it.. I'm pretty sure most wouldn't have it fixed.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yes but do you honestly think they can go around and look to see who is and isn't bugged? I don't think they can and I seriously doubt they can globally fix it... and if someone had the advantage do you really think they would voluntarily come forward to have it fixed? Just like reporting it I'm willing to bet that a vast majority would not. Even if you said if you don't have it fixed in the next week then you risk being banned for it.. I'm pretty sure most wouldn't have it fixed.
There has to be some mechanic for globally fixing values, as they did so when they made all cu-sidhes the same speed.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can guarantee we are NOT the gatekeepers for what does or doesn't get fixed.
The PVP community has figured it out that the only way to get things fixed is to post on UHall. As you can see there is a mountain of issues that have been lingering for years.