• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning vet: enjoying the crap out of it!

I have been playing for a few days now and I love it. I wish I would have returned earlier. I started in 1998 and quit in 2003, having played virtually all of the big MMOs since then. Amazingly, despite being obviously dated (I play on the 2d client), the game still holds up so well. The magic and feel are still there. I actually like many of the changes, such as higher fame/karma/loot in Felucca. What I especially like is how much player generated content there is. It's stunning no mmo out there has matched Ultima's magic in this sense.

Two days ago I was looking for filled runebooks on Atlantic, and came across a store which linked to other stores. There was the magical rune: it took me to Goodman's Rune Library. I was told this was run by someone who died irl and is maintained by others. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw this. Three flores of runebooks and guides. It's a glorious and awesome guide for a vet to explore new lands.

Thanks, Goodman. RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great post! Thank you. Reminds us all that UO isnt about glacial hair, 25 platinum in bank, über-stam-suits and easter bunnies - it´s about community and fun. It´s what you want to make out of it.

This morning I woke up and decided I would post an "I love UO"-post. You know, haters gonna hate. They will always find a hair in the soup. I don´t care. It´s time for a "THANK YOU UO, that you are still out there for us". Thanks to all Vets who keep paying their suscriptions! Thanks for the BS-team, who still work on it and listen to us (sometimes ;-). Thanks to the GMs, who come and help.

I know, Account Management is bad. I know, there is crappy content. I know all of the problems of this game. But after I tried out so many other MMORPGs, I always came back to UO. It has its unique magic, which hasnt been reached by any other game out there. Who cares for 3D-clients? I come from a time, when games were ALL about gameplay and fun and graphics were absolutely no issue. Remember Hercules-, CGA-, EGA-graphics? We did play nevertheless - and many of those games were ALOT better than the shiny mass-crap of today. I am playing computer games for almost 25 years now. And if there is ONE thing I really regret, then it is the fact that I had an UO-break for serveral years. My oldest account is now 10 years old. I whish I had kept it running - as you say, mate!

So, thanks again for your post - you made my day. I love UO, I would even keep playing it, if we were told that it will be kept in maintenance mode only and there will be no new stuff at all for the next years. There is still so much to do, there are still so many places to visit, so many people to meet.

If only more people would learn the magic of UO. Only thing we really need is more PR, more advertising! There are plenty of mature players out there who live in the spirit of this golden age of computer gaming. If I tell them: UO is still around, they ask: "Really? Why does nobody talk about it?" I guess ALOT of people would give it a try, if they knew that there is still a place for the good old 1990s-feeling. And if there was some kind of Free-to-play-option.

Others may program stuff for the 14+yo-generation. Let them go an play the fresh stuff. But our generation consists of MILLIONS! WE are the many, from 30-60+. We have filled the lands of Sosaria before and we can do it again. We dont need 4k resolution and 3D-glasses. All we need is a computer, a monitor, an Internet connection and a mouse. And time, of course. Ah... time...

Time to get back to work ;-)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I too love UO. It have had it's up and down times but it's stíll my second life, a world I live in.
It did lose some of the magic over the years, but think the biggest problem is we are to few to fill the shards.

I miss when I could login. visite the houses around me and find someone home and find players busy lumbering, mining, killing monsters and animals around the player towns.

I agree there are lots of people out there, in all age who would love playing UO if they know what we have here. If BS can make it easier and cheaper for new and returning players to get started, I'm sure we would see alot more players.

I also would like to see some kind of upgrade of the trial account system, so people could choose to pay maybe $5 a month but only get access to own place one little 7x7 house, maybe only first 2 char slot active and only access to Trammel, Felucca, Ilshenar Tokuno lands and Malas unless they had payed for SA, HS, ToL, they can't use new ships or access Abyss, Ter Mur, Underworld, Eodon. <they can't be co-owner to a house or co-own to their house.