• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Three expansions (SA, HS, ToL) are way too much to ask of someone to get up to speed.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Seriously, someone comes back to the game and wants to know what they need to be up to date, and I have to stand there feeling like an idiot listing $50+ worth of expansion after expansion they'd need to pay for. It's ridiculous.

There needs to be a package deal people can buy.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seriously, someone comes back to the game and wants to know what they need to be up to date, and I have to stand there feeling like an idiot listing $50+ worth of expansion after expansion they'd need to pay for. It's ridiculous.

I agree. We need to have something done about that. Though I'll say this it would be better if the uo.com website could offer the best package with the creation of a new account as a one click operation. Get the game pay and set up your account all in one... Most new folk I talk to get annoyed very quickly trying to deal with Origin/EA and then set up account and then buy expansions and then and then and then... if it was one operation from the uo.com website simple easy buy and set up and download all in one.... that would be a HUGE improvement.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Isn't that the way it typically is with games? I have only played WoW like three days before I called that junk quits but thought you still had to buy expansion packs there as well. Ain't trying to troll ya or anything just assumed almost all MMORPG's are that way.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I wouldn't worry to much about that.
If they have been gone that long then they probably wouldn't even make it past reactivating their original account.

Saying nothing else as I'm constantly getting told off now for saying what everyone is thinking......

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like the way some other games do it. For example every time a new Swtor expansion comes out the developers make the old expansion free. That way no matter how long a player has been gone they only ever need to buy one expansion to get up to speed.

A package deal for UO expansions would be a great idea.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went back and played wow a couple times over the years . When you download the game you only have to pay for the current expansion. That's how most games are except this one.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'd say make SA free

Then set up TOL like SA is now new account with 30 days game time or just the upgrade

HS can still be optional

I second Nabin's idea. ^^^ Make SA free at this point and set up TOL like SA. While I concur that three separate expansions at a cost of $50+ dollars is one too many, but I don't think it would be totally unreasonable to ask people to buy atleast two of them, which is in-line with other games..

I also wouldn't mind seeing a package deal for the three (although, I would caution anyone who expects more than an overall $10 net savings here from getting their hopes up).

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Actually it might not be a bad welcome back promotion.

SA Free

Return to Britain - Re up your account and get the HS upgrade for free!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn't that the way it typically is with games? I have only played WoW like three days before I called that junk quits but thought you still had to buy expansion packs there as well. Ain't trying to troll ya or anything just assumed almost all MMORPG's are that way.
generally you just buy the most recent expansion. the previous ones come with it.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ArenaNet came up with the best way. If somebody buys HoT ( the new expansion) then you got the core game for free. So when they do the next expansion and a new person that hasn't bought the game buys that they would get the core game and HoT for free.

It's time for UO to follow that example

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO is easily one of the most expensive MMOs on the market to get into. Getting completely up to date with UO content (all expansions, boosters and themepacks) presently costs $74.95. Keep in mind that doesn't include even a single month of game time, or the optional storage upgrades and 7th char slot. You also probably won't have access to the 9th Anniversary tilesets (shadow and crystal) which might be a good thing...

When you consider that many countries can't even buy some expansions due to Origin's complete inadequacy... o_O

Here's to hoping that the in-game store lets everyone buy expansions and pixelcrack with sovereigns regardless of where they live.

Though giving SA and maybe HS with a ToL purchase would be a good idea. Or a $35 bundle at the very least.

Last edited:

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A new account should come with the latest expansion. "Boosters" arguably could remain not included.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you buy the latest expansion, the rest should come with it. Then upgrade each expansion like everyone else. Having to pay for all of them is ridiculous and I know I would not start a game that was like that. Trying to nickel and dime you before you even enter Britania.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New players shouldn't get things I had to pay for for free.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
At some point they upgraded all accounts to ML. I would assume the same thing will happen with SA.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In today's mmo market 50 bones should be suffice for all expansions and core game.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must admit I hadn't really thought about it as I have bought my expansions along the way but now it has been brought up it would seem sensible for a very old game with multiple expansions to be available with them included. A complete package must surely seem more attractive to prospective players than the present system. I wonder if the current cost actually deters some people from bothering when there are cheaper better options, at least with regard to expense, available.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you have to factor the costs of all expansions of the game and the subscription on top of it. Both can be a factor when it deters a person. They need to combine all expansions into one low price

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it is quite blatantly obvious sir, that there is no market for 10 year old expansions. now, take yourself a time out, get yourself a glass of water, think of a good reply and come back to me with a decent troll attempt. your work has been incredibly lacking recently and i believe in your ability to do better.
I am sincere, whether or not you agree with me.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all seriousness, the high cost of UO is one of the major reasons new players wouldnt give UO a second glance. EA has decided that just milking vets for dwindling sub fees, with a skeleton staff is "worth it" but its a real shame the games true potential cant be seen, and worked towards with a modern pricing model.

with so many choices out there, the game should either be free and just pay the sub, or maybe get everying for around 30bucks. no one in their right mind would choose UO over the plethora of other games out there just because of the price barriers.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I started originally with T2A in late '98 and left in '04. Back in '05 to '10 (SA) and just recently returned. So add about $120/year + 8% sales tax on top of all the expansion costs and UO is the most expensive game out there. I passed on HS.

I think Lord Nabin has the right idea. Newcomers - or returnees - only need up to the most recent expansion. If they want full boat then it costs them. Keep HS optional. +1 for this setup.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it is quite blatantly obvious sir, that there is no market for 10 year old expansions. now, take yourself a time out, get yourself a glass of water, think of a good reply and come back to me with a decent troll attempt. your work has been incredibly lacking recently and i believe in your ability to do better.
So if it is blatantly obvious there is no market for 10 year expansions. Then why would you offer a package of them no one wants?
When you can simply choose not to buy them? Just saying....

If a new player doesn't have an expansion, then clearly its new content to them whenever they do choose to buy and experience it. And thus worth the money.

It's the veterans who don't find value in old content because they have already experienced it and thus think it has no value and should be given away free.

Lord Trollo

Adventurer
So if it is blatantly obvious there is no market for 10 year expansions. Then why would you offer a package of them no one wants?
When you can simply choose not to buy them? Just saying....

If a new player doesn't have an expansion, then clearly its new content to them whenever they do choose to buy and experience it. And thus worth the money.

It's the veterans who don't find value in old content because they have already experienced it and thus think it has no value and should be given away free.
they would sell more of them if they were bundles and discounted from their current pricing. they have unlimited amounts of them and it's in their best interest to have players in the game. the more players there are, the more promoters of Ultima Online there are. a new player considering joining might be more willing to subscribe to UO without a $60 investment to be able to do what is considered now "basic content." trim that down to $20-30 and it will be a lot easier for someone to attempt to play. they may find that instead of 100 people spending $60, 400 people are willing to spend $30 and more players and activity are brought to the game. in addition to this, they also make more money. in addition to all of that, i like cake.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They shouldn't get it free if I had to pay.
So I'm guessing you don't want to continue to play? Without an influx of new players UO will die.

And as for that statement 100's of players have already gotten things for free.... and this includes the new ToL.

Back when ML came out I'm pretty sure that if you bought ML you got all the prior expansions free... I'm pretty sure they did it again when SA came out.... ML and all was included.

So yes we do need a new bundle..... they ought to be able to just buy ToL(Which should include SA and High Seas) and be done.... though adding extra character slots and storage should be something they pay for ..... and the Kings Collection, Rustic and Gothic are not included either.... but honestly the Rustic and Gothic need to be combined again as a set.... and sold at a discount like before.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'd say make SA free

Then set up TOL like SA is now new account with 30 days game time or just the upgrade

HS can still be optional
I agree, let returning players get SA when they reactivate, that will alow them to use Imbuing, reforging and new loot and go to Abyss = much better chance, that they will stay.
Make a Return to Britain offer = 30 days gametime, SA upgrade, ToL and HS to same price as a new SA account cost now.
For new players, if they start to pay for their trial account, it will be upgraded to SA and they can play most of the game.
If they choose to but the game, give them a start pack, 30 days, SA, ToL and SH = price of that they pay for SA today.
Maybe make it so it is the same code, you can use to start a new account with 30 days and uptodate packs or restart an old account with 30 days and uptodate packs.

Make it easier for new and returning players.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I rather see them get a start/return pack, that will make them play than see them give up because it is to expensive to get started.

I had to pay for all the expansions and personally as a vet from 1998-2003, I am enjoying it so much, that I didn't care. However, it's definitely a very unnecessary deterrent. Ultima Online has changed so much since 2003, it's overwhelming enough to get through. The required subscription + all expansions for that much money is a tough pill to swallow. Also, the account management and over accessibility of the account and game could be improved so much. Games with graphics like UO or "worse", are thriving now. It's not a graphics market anymore. With the right investment to UI and user flow, UO could start thriving again.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bit of a 'dog in the manger' attitude don.t you think?. At the time we paid for them the expansions were new and we have had all the time since to play and enjoy them. I certainly would have no problem with all of them being offered as one package now. Anything that might bring more new players into the fold must be worth trying. I think the present set up is chaotic and unprofessional and could surely benefit from some changes.

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bit of a 'dog in the manger' attitude don.t you think?. At the time we paid for them the expansions were new and we have had all the time since to play and enjoy them. I certainly would have no problem with all of them being offered as one package now. Anything that might bring more new players into the fold must be worth trying. I think the present set up is chaotic and unprofessional and could surely benefit from some changes.

Also, folks who buy the old expansions now, are not getting things like soulstones, advanced character tokens, transfer tokens and charger of the fallen or other promotional items we got when they were new, so technically they are not paying for the same things we did. Plus, you probably didn't pay for ToL....

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they would sell more of them if they were bundles and discounted from their current pricing. they have unlimited amounts of them and it's in their best interest to have players in the game. the more players there are, the more promoters of Ultima Online there are. a new player considering joining might be more willing to subscribe to UO without a $60 investment to be able to do what is considered now "basic content." trim that down to $20-30 and it will be a lot easier for someone to attempt to play. they may find that instead of 100 people spending $60, 400 people are willing to spend $30 and more players and activity are brought to the game. in addition to this, they also make more money. in addition to all of that, i like cake.
Your original premise was that there was obviously no market for 10 year old expansions. And if that is true, then they may also find that instead of 100 people spending $60, 100 people may now be spending $30. You are making the assumption that the price decrease will more than be offset by an increase in the amount of subscribers. While you are willing to make that bet for them, there is probably a reason they are not. And personally with the amount of advertising UO does, I wouldn't take that bet either.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

i don't think SA will be given free as part of core game package (as ML is today) because the demand for SA is at least equal to if not greater than that of ToL.....

what they should do is bundle SA w/ ToL and make the cost reasonable; in this way, SA is not given away... HS should remain as optional.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just give all returnees everything at once, for 19.95... What would you rather have, a bunch of codes at their old value stored in a database somewhere? Or players playing with them in the game and paying a monthly sub?

Being selfish and greedy and holding out stuff for more money is stuff you can get away with when you are in demand and really booming. Not so much when you are slowly marching to your deathbed.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
i don't think SA will be given free as part of core game package (as ML is today) because the demand for SA is at least equal to if not greater than that of TOL
Cracks me up when people make statements that they obviously can't document, refer to, or prove in anyway as fact.

Please stop

I am fine with a stated opinion or maybe how you feel about a given topic.

If you can't back it up its better left unsaid.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm curious what people think is a reasonable price to pay for a full game.

Most console games cost around $65-$70 bucks these days. If you want to purchase various DLC and other add-ons, then you're going to have to spend more. Take a look at games like Star Wars Battlefront, WWE 2k16, Grand Theft Auto and so on... if you want every part of the game including all unlocked DLC... you're paying $100 bucks easily. And with EA's lock out on certain used games being able to be re-sold without having to purchase some key to unlock full game for any secondary buyers (see pretty much every EA sports game as an example), video gaming is no longer the cheap hobby it used to be.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Most console games cost around $65-$70 bucks these days. If you want to purchase various DLC and other add-ons, then you're going to have to spend more. Take a look at games like Star Wars Battlefront, WWE 2k16, Grand Theft Auto and so on... if you want every part of the game including all unlocked DLC... you're paying $100 bucks easily. And with EA's lock out on certain used games being able to be re-sold without having to purchase some key to unlock full game for any secondary buyers (see pretty much every EA sports game as an example), video gaming is no longer the cheap hobby it used to be.
But those games look and play very modern... asking people to pay for a game that is so ancient and looks just a tad worse even than old SNES is insane. No one is going to pay that much money for UO... Your talking about modern games... UO is far from modern. And when you consider how many games are sold on Steam and 100 other sites for less than the price of a soda... I really think that a bundle is necessary.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Cracks me up when people make statements that they obviously can't document, refer to, or prove in anyway as fact.

Please stop

I am fine with a stated opinion or maybe how you feel about a given topic.

If you can't back it up its better left unsaid.
its just an opinion... its a free forum.... with all due respect, get over it...

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
its just an opinion... its a free forum.... with all due respect, get over it...
With all do respect stick to the provable facts when making your "opinion" in stead of making a Statement as if it were a fact.

Otherwise you're just creating stupid drama

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

Those more often than not don't have a monthly payment to keep playing them, though, like UO does.
I'd be in favour of either packing SA and TOL in a cheaper offer, or make SA free for new accounts.
But then again, SA brings way more important stuff than TOL did, so maybe TOL should be the free expansion and SA the paid one. Imbuing is way too much of a game changer, whereas nothing TOL brought up is anywhere as powerful or important for new players as imbuing.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
With all do respect stick to the provable facts when making your "opinion" in stead of making a Statement as if it were a fact.

Otherwise you're just creating stupid drama
aha... evidently, my opinion moved you that much.... hmmm lol

i think i will use my own judgment and say whatever i see fit, however i see fit...

the world isn't perfect. adults can consider, weigh and contribute.. this forum doesn't need your nanny service.... but i am sure you will be back, for love of the job

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I paid $100 for beta access to Albion Online but then again this gives me lifetime access and no subscription. Also shelled out $50 for Black Desert online (which is excellent by the way) but again its F2P. Its the monthly subscription that makes it hard to justify stumping up cash up front for a old, niche game like UO. If the monthly subscription continues (and Im not getting into that debate here before the ban hammer swings again), then the least EA should be doing is offering the full up to date version as a free download.