• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I've been pronouncing it wrong for over 20 years....

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How did I not know about these :( thank you so much for sharing. :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm willing to bet that you are not alone and that there are a great many other things from Ultima we all pronounce wrong.

I just love it when some of the people I've known in vent talk about learning Madjury..... and I say What? It's Mayjury are you a Madge or a Mayge? If you are a mage I expect you are training in mayjury..... if you are a madge I expect you are soaking your hands in palmolive.

And people mark Ruins all the time though I prefer to carry runes.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
if you have any toons on Atl who can pick it up i have a couple of full music boxes if youd like one. i have the Zento track looped on my phone so i can listen to that one when im not on uo lol
Oh, I would love to have a full music box! But I don't play any shard other than Chesapeake... and so don't have the shields for shard transferring. :(

Thank you, though... you are a sweetheart for offering. :hug:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If you want I can bring this to you from atl to ches next time I make a xfer.
Thank you! That would be wonderful! And I would be delighted to pay for it. Just PM me and we can make arrangements the next time you decide to come to Chessie. :)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Not a problem. I'll have it there in a day or two @old gypsy.
Thank you! I will check into stratics before noon each day to check the PMs (and later in the evening, too) so we can arrange to meet up with each other.:)

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, thou art taking lessons in pronunciation from a group who have NEVER been able to spell "dastard" correctly?

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And people mark Ruins all the time though I prefer to carry runes.
That one cracks me up!! Some other funny UO words that no one knows how to say: cu sidhe, gorget, skara brae, bokuto, and minoc!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
That one cracks me up!! Some other funny UO words that no one knows how to say: cu sidhe, gorget, skara brae, bokuto, and minoc!
Oh I wouldn't say that. Cu Sidhe, and Skara Brae are derived from Scottish Gaelic. Gorget is French, Bokuto is Japanese, and Minoc from what I can tell is derived from Bulgarian of all things. Considering these are all languages that are still very much alive, and we have community members who speak these languages I'm pretty sure saying "No One" is a bit of an exaggeration.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh I wouldn't say that. Cu Sidhe, and Skara Brae are derived from Scottish Gaelic. Gorget is French, Bokuto is Japanese, and Minoc from what I can tell is derived from Bulgarian of all things. Considering these are all languages that are still very much alive, and we have community members who speak these languages I'm pretty sure saying "No One" is a bit of an exaggeration.
I think there was a detailed thing at one time on how to pronounce a lot of the Tokuno stuff when it was added like Cu Sidhe and things... if my memory serves which I believe it still does... I know I'm getting older now so sometimes things are a bit fuzzy... but I'm fairly sure that I recall reading about it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
o-cell-o
ok-lo

maj-IN-seeya
majin-seeya

reg-ants
re-agents

it's been a pleasure contributing to this thread
I've heard all those pronunciations.

I think I pronounce the first one Ah-Klo Rather like A-glow.... only Ah.

It is always fun to have a new person in vent and see how they pronounce things...

Rather like guessing where someone is from by the way they talk about soft drinks...

Where I come from I want Pop... Some drink Soda's... Just depends on where you're from.

I always enjoy hearing people try to pronounce the Capital of the State I live in ... most folk get it VERY wrong. You can then always tell the "Outta Staters" that way...

DesMoines... Its pronounced Da-Moyn... Not Dez Monez...

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This thread is cracking me up!

Many many years ago there was a UO GTG just south of Seattle and it was funny to hear all of the different pronunciations of names/words from the game! The word that cracked me up the most at the GTG was how people said "ig-not" instead of "ingot!"

I also won a bunch of CDs that had UO music on them. I should try to locate those one of these days and spin them again!