• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The more I think about this idea.........

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted this in another thread and the idea has kind of stuck with me. This has nothing to do with EM Events, CC VS EC, or Free to play, would appreciate if folks would not invoke those endless debates that go nowhere ;) It does seem this would provide global events on a regular basis that are also random, and last long enough that every one could participate at some level. I would think in the grand scheme of things it would not be to hard to implement and the invasions themselves could be random one time Ophidians raiding Vesper and the next time reponds raiding brit and another time the crypt gates burst open and a army of undead invade Yew. Maybe toss in a champ level boss now and then with some spec drop. With it being random and automated the devs could focus on other things, once the system was in place and tweaked. It also would not be happening so often as to be common and get boring but often enough........... I don't know 8-12 random invasions a year more or less depending on the random timer going off and triggering the invasion. I can also see where a END timer would have to be incorporated of 5-7 days for the low pop shards as the hordes would never get beat back on some shards. LOL toss a random invasion in with VV and things would get real interesting in the VV town hehe. Seem like something like this would make a lot of people happy and sure a few people complain and would not interfere with the EMs or other content and put a static global event in game that pretty much every who wanted to could participate in or not.

""I have often wondered if something like the Ophidian invasion and Despise brit invasion etc could just be coded to randomly go off and run for a week or until beaten back and then go back dormant until a random timer triggers it to occur again. If I understand right the coding for those invasions is still there and attaching a Random timer might take some work but once done it would offer regular and random events everyone has an opportunity to participate and and profit from. Story line pretty simple ogres, orcs, ettins, terathans, ophidians and whatever else hates human, elf and gargoyles and pull random raids/invasions. Since invasions seem to be the more popular past events brought up for wanting returned.................""

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would go for that, with the proviso that they turn off guard zones in invaded towns so mages can use their full spell array and not just ebolt lol
Agreed mages were pretty much useless in all of the town invasions.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I would not mind that happening as long as they kept it to towns that are not finally being revitalized. On Atlantic WBB is FINALLY once again becoming a place to kind of hang out and actually see folks. I would hate to see that fall by the wayside once again and we all be relegated back to freaking Luna yet again...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe the invasions don't have to be in towns... Maybe they could be in some of the "lesser" dungeons... You know Orc Dungeon, the Yew Crypts, Ice Dungeon, Fire Dungeon, the Demon Temple etc... the mobs there could "bloom" and start massing and we could get an in-game message or warning that the Crypts have become overrun.... and then when we beat them back their "boss" appears and we defeat it... if we don't maybe it runs it's course for a full day and if undefeated then the next time it spawns it's larger and harder or they target the nearest town...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would just like an explanation of why some things can never be "turned back on"....Treasures of Tokuno....did the code for this get tossed in the trash ? Town invasions should be going on, on some type of constant basis. As long as there are any overland spawn, anywhere in the Sosarian world, there should be a risk of some type of town invasion at any time. This is simple "keep the players happy" type coding, instead of 6 months of unhappyness followed by some weird expansion no one asked for, followed by rinse/repeat....I don't know....maybe that's why I'm not a game developer.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would not mind that happening as long as they kept it to towns that are not finally being revitalized. On Atlantic WBB is FINALLY once again becoming a place to kind of hang out and actually see folks. I would hate to see that fall by the wayside once again and we all be relegated back to freaking Luna yet again...
why not have luna invaded? hehe

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can see your point there and that was the one thing I hated about the Despise Brit invasion. Maybe cut the invasion border back to the other side of the sewer? or limit to the outskirts and the farms. If it is just dungeons I just can't see it generating a lot of interest.......

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why not have luna invaded? hehe
A legion of necromancers and undead storming luna! Throw every city in UO into the hat and a random timer and once a City has been raided it is taken out of the cycle for that year. With the invasion lasting no longer than 5-7 days out of 365 it should not be to disruptive to anyone.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would just like an explanation of why some things can never be "turned back on"....Treasures of Tokuno....did the code for this get tossed in the trash ? Town invasions should be going on, on some type of constant basis. As long as there are any overland spawn, anywhere in the Sosarian world, there should be a risk of some type of town invasion at any time. This is simple "keep the players happy" type coding, instead of 6 months of unhappyness followed by some weird expansion no one asked for, followed by rinse/repeat....I don't know....maybe that's why I'm not a game developer.
Believe I read something from one of the Devs that the TOT code has been used several times for different things. I was then and am now of the opinion that TOT 1 should have never been turned off in the first place. Nothing over powered and it would have been ongoing fun.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing I have noticed over the years of playing UO the simplest things and least complex tend to be the most fun and get the most player participation. The more complex and drawn out something is, it seems to peter out pretty fast.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Brit was invaded before. Repeatedly, by Lizardmen led by a gazer, iirc. Don't laugh, at the time lizardmen en mass were a force to be recckoned with, especially if they got you surrounded (push thru code and all that). Of course we would need something a little stronger now.

But point being, we didn't run to Luna or any other town, we killed em all each time and went about our business :p One lesson that might be learned there is: Lots of spawn, of decent strength, but NOT NEVERENDING! Might not invade again for quite some time, but the event? did keep us on our toes.

And it helped that instead of spawning on top of everyone in town, they actually spawned near the bridge south of town and marched on the town...even added a bit of roleplay in it because several of our guilds would make patrols around looking for them to warn the townspeople.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brit was invaded before. Repeatedly, by Lizardmen led by a gazer, iirc. Don't laugh, at the time lizardmen en mass were a force to be recckoned with, especially if they got you surrounded (push thru code and all that). Of course we would need something a little stronger now.

But point being, we didn't run to Luna or any other town, we killed em all each time and went about our business :p One lesson that might be learned there is: Lots of spawn, of decent strength, but NOT NEVERENDING! Might not invade again for quite some time, but the event? did keep us on our toes.

And it helped that instead of spawning on top of everyone in town, they actually spawned near the bridge south of town and marched on the town...even added a bit of roleplay in it because several of our guilds would make patrols around looking for them to warn the townspeople.
Those Ogre Lord Generals were tough :) New players and some old don't even know what those fortifications in the passes are for or what they represent. Just something annoying to run around when going to despise or to the Bandit Camp.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like this idea, but I'd prefer if it weren't the towns themselves that got invaded but rather an area close to the town. For instance, Britain and Skara would have their farm fields invaded and occupied. Moonglow you could invade the Lycaeum. Jhelom could be the jungle/farm island. And so on and so forth. I'd also like to see the quieter towns get more of a boost in these events like Papua, Delucia, and Serpent's Hold. Give players a reason to visit these otherwise empty places.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The code is already in place, in the form of The Void Pool. I wouldn't want to detract from that, as it has its purpose I suppose, but using that same code for town invasions would be nice. Link them to trade deals, or trade deal activity. This isn't rocket science..that's coming in another expansion.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like this idea, but I'd prefer if it weren't the towns themselves that got invaded but rather an area close to the town. For instance, Britain and Skara would have their farm fields invaded and occupied. Moonglow you could invade the Lycaeum. Jhelom could be the jungle/farm island. And so on and so forth. I'd also like to see the quieter towns get more of a boost in these events like Papua, Delucia, and Serpent's Hold. Give players a reason to visit these otherwise empty places.
Still can't see where full town invasions would hurt anything given no guarantee that any given town would be selected and if it was selected it would only be once per yearly cycle for at most 7 days. Plus changing the dynamics of what is already there means more coding and removes a system like this relative simple to complex and time consuming. Something as simple as possible that will appeal to a large portion of the player base........ Seems more likely to happen than complex and time consuming. The idea is to give people something repeating but never the same thing twice in any yearly cycle....... This frees up Dev time and resources to work on other bigger things without constant pressure to do something new constantly. Since something new is going down on a regular basis that players can participate in at their own pace and schedule. EMs still do their thing, we still get publishes, the system is automated or at worst flip of a switch. Devs get some breathing room and everyone is happy. Well not everyone you will still have the person that only has a hour per day to play complaining the that the person who can play 23 hours and 40 minutes a day can get more than them but never going to get around the power gamer vs the casual player debate.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The code is already in place, in the form of The Void Pool. I wouldn't want to detract from that, as it has its purpose I suppose, but using that same code for town invasions would be nice. Link them to trade deals, or trade deal activity. This isn't rocket science..that's coming in another expansion.
Give the Mayors something to do like form militias to defend Moonglow or be allies with Nujelm and send forces to help with NJs invasion somehow fitting together with the trade deals as you suggest. In the rocket science expansion I want my tokuno ship to be equiped with surface to surface missiles that can hit a tracked ship 150 tiles away........ Yeah UO missile Frigates LOL

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You know there's an interesting idea in here. What if.... Things were set on conditionals to encourage people to engage in other content in the game?

Say for example there are the 8 virtue dungeons, and 8 virtue cities. What if it was so that when players didn't kill enough monsters in each of these dungeons the monsters could use the relative safety raise an army and invade the corresponding virtue city?

ToT could could toggle on an off the same way, if people didn't regularly farm the Fan Dancer Dojo, the Yamatsu Mines etc. it would kick off ToT under the idea that they've stolen the treasures of the Empire.

In Malas, not having regular activity in Doom, would lead to an invasion of Luna, and the Labyrinth would lead to an invasion of Umbra.

These type of things would encourage people to spread out and give them some direct effect on their servers.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know there's an interesting idea in here. What if.... Things were set on conditionals to encourage people to engage in other content in the game?

Say for example there are the 8 virtue dungeons, and 8 virtue cities. What if it was so that when players didn't kill enough monsters in each of these dungeons the monsters could use the relative safety raise an army and invade the corresponding virtue city?

ToT could could toggle on an off the same way, if people didn't regularly farm the Fan Dancer Dojo, the Yamatsu Mines etc. it would kick off ToT under the idea that they've stolen the treasures of the Empire.

In Malas, not having regular activity in Doom, would lead to an invasion of Luna, and the Labyrinth would lead to an invasion of Umbra.

These type of things would encourage people to spread out and give them some direct effect on their servers.
Only problem I see there is the very low pop shards would be overran with Mobs in every city :)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Only problem I see there is the very low pop shards would be overran with Mobs in every city :)
True but there could always be a toggle the other way as well. I mean, beat back the invasion forces and they have to slink way to recoup, recover enough treasures and ToT toggles off, and have a set period before it can trigger again.

If there were reward drops for the fighting, I could see people going to lower pop shards to farm the events, and that would also help keep things in check.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want a full blown destructive luna invasion.....image the rubble!!!!! :) imagine how creative all the house owners could be remaking their vendor houses to appear partially destroyed...it would be so cool!

But seriously turn it on in a town for a week and that week the EM can add a special rescue mission ( or something like that) as part of the invasion defense. let there be doom type drops...remove guard zones.

On Cats we have a govenor that works with PEC every month or so to run Vesper invasions. Takes us about 2 hrs to clean them out.... no drops but good fun. Would love one that lasted a week so small groups could work it when it was convenient to them..... not everone is available 7-9 pm

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be leery about attaching EMs to this, with as many claims of rigging and favortism the EMs generate not to mention all the EM Event drop drama. Would rather see it run clean and not open to allegations real or imagined.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True but there could always be a toggle the other way as well. I mean, beat back the invasion forces and they have to slink way to recoup, recover enough treasures and ToT toggles off, and have a set period before it can trigger again.

If there were reward drops for the fighting, I could see people going to lower pop shards to farm the events, and that would also help keep things in check.
Personally I like a pure random timer that way it just happens and we don't have just another system that can be gamed.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be leery about attaching EMs to this, with as many claims of rigging and favortism the EMs generate not to mention all the EM Event drop drama. Would rather see it run clean and not open to allegations real or imagined.
that was part of the reason I suggested the doom style drops where it is totally random and based on how much you grind over the week :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted this in another thread and the idea has kind of stuck with me. This has nothing to do with EM Events, CC VS EC, or Free to play, would appreciate if folks would not invoke those endless debates that go nowhere ;) It does seem this would provide global events on a regular basis that are also random, and last long enough that every one could participate at some level. I would think in the grand scheme of things it would not be to hard to implement and the invasions themselves could be random one time Ophidians raiding Vesper and the next time reponds raiding brit and another time the crypt gates burst open and a army of undead invade Yew. Maybe toss in a champ level boss now and then with some spec drop. With it being random and automated the devs could focus on other things, once the system was in place and tweaked. It also would not be happening so often as to be common and get boring but often enough........... I don't know 8-12 random invasions a year more or less depending on the random timer going off and triggering the invasion. I can also see where a END timer would have to be incorporated of 5-7 days for the low pop shards as the hordes would never get beat back on some shards. LOL toss a random invasion in with VV and things would get real interesting in the VV town hehe. Seem like something like this would make a lot of people happy and sure a few people complain and would not interfere with the EMs or other content and put a static global event in game that pretty much every who wanted to could participate in or not.

""I have often wondered if something like the Ophidian invasion and Despise brit invasion etc could just be coded to randomly go off and run for a week or until beaten back and then go back dormant until a random timer triggers it to occur again. If I understand right the coding for those invasions is still there and attaching a Random timer might take some work but once done it would offer regular and random events everyone has an opportunity to participate and and profit from. Story line pretty simple ogres, orcs, ettins, terathans, ophidians and whatever else hates human, elf and gargoyles and pull random raids/invasions. Since invasions seem to be the more popular past events brought up for wanting returned.................""
That would be lovely. If they could spawn their own unique random rewards... then even better.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I like the idea of having different levels of spawn from various slayer groups invade different cities. Maybe have 2 or 3 given cities with active invasions at any given time... have an easy level of difficulty for one, medium for another and then a level that is truly challenging. Make it so the amount of spawn is dependent somewhat on number of people in the area. Incorporate some type of point system. Maybe instead of doing the Doom event again for an entire month... have a month long invasion.

There's got to be a way to be able to bring back a successful invasion angle to the game.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I know is that when the topic of content comes up Invasions and TOT seem to be at the top of the list. The funny thing is that it is not new content that seems to be in high demand but a return to the content that a whole lot of people really enjoyed and should have been made a static part of the game. Even rehashing old content with a different twist like my suggestion would get peoples attention and participation. TBH I will never attend another EM event but I would be there on the front lines fighting back an invasion as often as RL allowed :) And I would love to see the Tokuno Islands have more than the Dojo thieves and occasional person taming a beetle.