• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs... Prohibited Guild Titles

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Can we please have the restriction on guild titles that mirror NPC positions lifted?

I added someone to the City of Yew guild and couldn't give them the title of "Healer" because it isn't allowed. I don't think anyone is going to mistake a player with guild title for an NPC. If they are that 'new' or 'naive', not allowing these titles isn't going to save them.

Please please please!

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason I was given when I brought this up at a dev meet & greet was that it is an anti-scamming measure, and they had no intention of changing it. I can't say I agree with the official reason, but there you have it. For many roleplayers, removing these restrictions would be a welcome change and I hope the devs change their mind on this.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understood the usefulness of these restrictions during the pre-Trammel era, but now? Not so much.

Important NPC names are yellow, player names aren't...ever. Make that abundantly clear to new players and these restrictions serve NO purpose.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The reason I was given when I brought this up at a dev meet & greet was that it is an anti-scamming measure, and they had no intention of changing it.
I was there for that, and it was possibly the single most outrageously out-of-touch thing I've ever heard any of them say.

Hey @Mesanna and @Kyronix and @Bleak and whoever else, can any of you elucidate even one potential scam that would be enabled by lifting these restrictions on guild titles? I'm betting no. It's blatantly silly.

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't believe that guild tags no longer can be used to realistically scam or deceive new players. Giving players the ability, especially rpers, to title their guildmembers with common town positions would be really useful.

Pleeeeeeease.... rethink your position on it and allow this for the community.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yet we can set titles like...Vesper Prostitute,,,, go figure

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I added someone to the City of Yew guild and couldn't give them the title of "Healer" because it isn't allowed.
Doesn't make sense when a person with healing can go to the title menu in overhead and skills and pick "the healer". You'd think someone would be more inclined to fall for a scam from a title like that than a guild title.

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Doesn't make sense when a person with healing can go to the title menu in overhead and skills and pick "the healer". You'd think someone would be more inclined to fall for a scam from a title like that than a guild title.
I agree

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This should be a quick easy change that should have been done years ago. For some reason this game just loves to stay in the dark ages.

I dont suppose any Dev has read this????

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate to say this but if someone can be scammed with a guild title or name in UO now days they deserve what they get..... or rather lose.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Originally I wanted to have my name be JC the Carpenter. I am glad now that the game forced me to pick another name.

You can pick a synonym for healer like I had too: curer, doctor, medicine man, mender, physician, shaman, therapist, cleric, which doctor, chiropractor

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes you
Originally I wanted to have my name be JC the Carpenter. I am glad now that the game forced me to pick another name.

You can pick a synonym for healer like I had too: curer, doctor, medicine man, mender, physician, shaman, therapist, cleric, which doctor, chiropractor

Yes, and we do.... and have done for years. Sometimes it would be nice to have something simple... like healer or blacksmith... especially when there doesn't seem to be a need to have it still banned.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The reason I was given when I brought this up at a dev meet & greet was that it is an anti-scamming measure, and they had no intention of changing it. I can't say I agree with the official reason, but there you have it. For many roleplayers, removing these restrictions would be a welcome change and I hope the devs change their mind on this.
Just curious, But how do you get scammed by pretending to be an NPC?

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious, But how do you get scammed by pretending to be an NPC?
I think it was the other way around - a player pretending to be an NPC and then tricking new players that couldn't tell the difference between a PC and NPC. At this point, I don't think there is a strong case that can be made for this reason anymore.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We recently had a guild mate get denied the title "She Pirate"...should have just called her ***** I guess.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Considering the medieval feel of UO, perhaps "Naturopath" would be a good substitute for "Healer"?