• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Options for screen res?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over time the issue with the screen res keeps getting worse. I upgraded my system to an X99 with a 4k monitor. Running it at 1440/2160 makes the UO screen around 10% of the monitor so I am literally leaning in close to try and even figure out what's going on in the game. If I scale my monitor down to 1080, UO is bigger, but it becomes a blurry mess, it looks like someone who needs coke-bottle glasses trying to read a book without them on.

I know *EDIT: don't want to mention illegal 3rd party programs* isn't allowed (right?) That program allows you to scale UO to whatever res you want and it works flawlessly on free shards.

Long story short, how can I correct this?!

thanks!

(By the way, this screen shot is set on the lower 1440p)

Last edited:

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If its a 4k monitor you have, you should notice no distortion in 1080p or 1920x1080, due to that conversation being exact 2x2 -> 1 pixel.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only way I have found is to really lower my resolution. Needs to be really addressed, near 20 year old technology with 4k monitors not good :) 1280x720 is what I currently run and here is what I see

Screenshot - 3_31_2016 , 10_27_29 PM.png

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If its a 4k monitor you have, you should notice no distortion in 1080p or 1920x1080, due to that conversation being exact 2x2 -> 1 pixel.
I just took a screenshot of how it's distorted, but when I go back into 1440p, the screenshot is crisp. WTF. It's not as bad as I said in the first post, but it's for sure fuzzy =/

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only way I have found is to really lower my resolution. Needs to be really addressed, near 20 year old technology with 4k monitors not good :) 1280x720 is what I currently run and here is what I see

View attachment 45706
720 works to make it pretty big, just gotta figure out why it's so fuzzy, thanks though! Og Hell, I'll go to a junk yard and scoop up a sweet 1995 50 pound 800x600 monitor ;)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have DPI zooming enabled in your windows? (Make text or elements appear larger on your screen) or is it 100% ? You find this mostly by rigthtclicking your desktop and selection "screen settings" or similar then depending on which windows you have might be 1-2 clicks more needed to get there.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have DPI zooming enabled in your windows? (Make text or elements appear larger on your screen) or is it 100% ? You find this mostly by rigthtclicking your desktop and selection "screen settings" or similar then depending on which windows you have might be 1-2 clicks more needed to get there.
Ohhhh, that could be it! Thank you!!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks why I always keep some old computer-equipment somewhere in my house. I still got 2 x 15 + 17 Inch Monitors - and I am playing UO on both ;-)

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not looking forward to dealing with this because my old 19 inch CRT monitor just crapped the bed.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're in Win 10 try this. Go to Settings - System - Display. There's a slider there for "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" Set this slider to 175% and see what that 4k looks like then. This should change the size of the game without sacrificing detail or changing the native resolution to a lower, less desirable setting.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... changing the native resolution to a lower, less desirable setting.
Must be nice being young and able to read tiny text that makes phone book text look large.

I run 1600 x 900 just to keep things readable. :D

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Must be nice being young and able to read tiny text that makes phone book text look large.

I run 1600 x 900 just to keep things readable. :D
What do you mean tiny text, that's exactly what this does, makes all things more readable in larger size and somehow it works to make the UO window bigger without changing the native resolution, that's exactly how I found out that it worked on the game, changed it one day because I couldn't see the type and walla, UO was BIG. ...........and don't start with the "old and blind" stuff, if you weren't young enough to be my child or probably even grandchild, I'd let that go ........... :facepalm:

This is what my sceen looks like at 1920 x 1080.
Parnoc Screenshot for Stratics for CC resize with Win10 Settings.jpg

Last edited:

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If only there was a way for DPI setting to only affect certain programs (like uo) and leave everything else, including windows it self alone.. But there isn't that I've found anyway.