• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

**** move Broadsword

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm a little upset - as the title indicates. On Atlantic I was watching an IDOC all morning/afternoon when the server went down for unannounced maintenance. When the server came back online the house was gone.

Sure, it's possible that I just missed it, but 3 other people logged in right when I did confused as to where the house had gone. This leads me to believe they kicked everyone from the shard and left the housing warehouse online and the house decayed while no one could log in. If that is the case that is just downright amateur hour.

Sigh.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
*inserts random conspiracy theory here*

Sounds like to me someone knew there was uber loot, tons of rares and TONS of old gold checks in the house so the "took the server offline" so they could get it all....

;)

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The shard going down has always been an issue ever since they moved to a central housing server. This isn't Broadsword's or even EA Mythic's fault, it is Origin's way back in 2002.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
WOW.

So many bleeding heart fan boy's in here. At least you guys have your blind sense of loyalty!

It's amazing how most of you can mistake pointing out a flaw in coding/process for whining. I mean really, that koolaid must be delicious!

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So many bleeding heart fan boy's in here. At least you guys have your blind sense of loyalty!
Loyalty? More like amusement over an insane system. Sure I get freeing up house spots, but also having all the items become lootable? You are profiting on people quitting the game. Huzzah? Now those people have even less reason to ever come back! Yay! I do admittedly love getting free stuff at an IDOC. I'm not so holy as to pass up free profit, but it doesn't make the whole idea of IDOCs in themselves any less completely stupid.

Sorry I don't feel sympathetic when an IDOC doesn't go someones way.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Loyalty? More like amusement over an insane system. Sure I get freeing up house spots, but also having all the items become lootable? You are profiting on people quitting the game. Huzzah? Now those people have even less reason to ever come back! Yay! I do admittedly love getting free stuff at an IDOC. I'm not so holy as to pass up free profit, but it doesn't make the whole idea of IDOCs in themselves any less completely stupid.

Sorry I don't feel sympathetic when an IDOC doesn't go someones way.
I understand your point, and I can see where you are coming from. I rarely do IDOCs, but they are a part of what makes UO unique IMO.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I understand your point, and I can see where you are coming from. I rarely do IDOCs, but they are a part of what makes UO unique IMO.
While it is Unique to UO and everyone loves a good IDOC we do have to remember what it really means... someone has left UO... and like others have said... losing all their stuff generally means they probably aren't going to be that inclined to return. :(

Worse it means less income for EA/BS meaning less chance of getting more staff on the DEV team and more chance of the doors closing...

Now there are several who argue that it's all just pixels..... and while technically it is just pixels stored electronic data... not a physical object... the truth of that though is that some of those items can represent memories... ties to friends from long past... gifts from past loves... memories and such that we tend to treasure. Losing those can be heartbreaking... and that heartbreak can really make it difficult to return. It's a loss just like any other that can produce profound feelings of grief and such...

And as we all know the game is very much about stuff anymore.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How many of us have lost everything and yet we came back.
How many have never? Would you know?

Willing to bet that number is 10x how many have returned... just by the um.... vacancy of UO.

Last edited:

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How many have never? Would you know?
You are absolutely correct, we can never know that, thus my questions which can be answered by people in this post. For the record here are a few other things we will never know thus do not contribute to the conversation

1. How many people have fed birds Ex-lax?
2. How many people have coughed, sneezed and farted at the same time?
3. How many people worship cats?
4. How many people are not playing UO right now?

The end.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'd just like to thank everyone for turning this thread into a joke. I had a legitimate concern and wanted to have a discussion about it. Despite my tone when criticizing a company I pay money to... there was no cause for many of the posts in this thread to be as mean spirited as they were.

JC - thank you for the one valuable post in this thread.

Next time, if you don't have anything of value to add maybe just let the thread sink to the bottom?

Please lock this thread now since it has been completely derailed and has no value.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a legitimate concern and wanted to have a discussion about it
A legitimate concern? Ha!

We know that this can happen and the only thing that transpired (as others have pointed out) is that you didnt get the billions in free loot that you so desperately craved, probably to store alongside your other billions. Its hardly a legitimate concern in the grand scheme of things.

Please lock this thread now since it has been completely derailed and has no value.
It had very little value to start with

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A legitimate concern? Ha!

We know that this can happen and the only thing that transpired (as others have pointed out) is that you didnt get the billions in free loot that you so desperately craved, probably to store alongside your other billions. Its hardly a legitimate concern in the grand scheme of things.

It had very little value to start with
You're saying everyone knows that during an unannounced outage the housing decay keeps going when it shouldn't. That's a load of ********, but nice try.

Thank you for proving my point though. You are a prime example of the infestation that is wrong with this community. A bunch of negative nancy's just looking to start **** because they have nothing better to do.

And FFS, stop complaining about me playing the game the way it was designed. That's just an ignorant argument.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're saying everyone knows that during an unannounced outage the housing decay keeps going when it shouldn't. That's a load of ********, but nice try.
Dont dress this up like you came on here to let everyone know this can happen. You came on to bi-atch as you didnt get something that you perceived that you were owed.

Thank you for proving my point though. You are a prime example of the infestation that is wrong with this community. A bunch of negative nancy's just looking to start **** because they have nothing better to do.
No, thank you for coming on here and proving what a parasitic community we have when you delight in every idoc to feed your pixel addiction despite every dropped house being a lost account.

And FFS, stop complaining about me playing the game the way it was designed. That's just an ignorant argument.
I wasnt complaining. You were the one who was complaining. I just pointed out that you didnt have any room for complaint.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont dress this up like you came on here to let everyone know this can happen. You came on to bi-atch as you didnt get something that you perceived that you were owed.

No, thank you for coming on here and proving what a parasitic community we have when you delight in every idoc to feed your pixel addiction despite every dropped house being a lost account.

I wasnt complaining. You were the one who was complaining. I just pointed out that you didnt have any room for complaint.

Parasitic? The houses are going to drop, better the junk inside go to players than just go poof IMO. Also can't fault someone for being upset that has spend hours camping an IDOC when they could have been doing other things. Actually quite a bit of UO history has been preserved due to people taking the time to camp IDOCs and some epic PVP Battles fought at IDOCs So what if someone pockets a few coins or a few billion coins from their time investment. Hardly makes them a parasite anymore than raiding a spawn or spending hours PvM ing hoping for a good drop.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm not going to bother responding to your last post line by line. You obviously have reading comprehension problems - among other psychological issues apparently.

You appear to be a little too disturbed to have a rational conversation with, so... congrats, you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.