• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Contest - Why do you like this EM item?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was alot of discussion here on how horrible this art is. Personally, i tend to agree. Bunnys and rainbows have no place in UO, nor do pastel colors. I could give all the reasons why as a rare collector, and UO house deco enthusiast that i cringe at this item, but i wont. Instead, if you like this item id like to know why. Maybe my opinion of the painting, and colors and bunnies and rainbows, the modern style art etc in UO will change overall (but probably not)

So i'm running a short contest. tell me in 300 words or less why you like this UO item. (VIA PM - DONT POST)
In 3 days ill choose a winner and post the winning short essay. it can be funny, truthful, thought provoking, poetic, or even a lie. its just a contest thats supposed to be fun.

Reward is the painting, must be picked up on Origin.

SpringFever.png

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thankyou to everyone who submitted. There were 16 entries, each one providing insight into benefits of having this item in UO. I wish i could reward all of you, and was not looking forward to having to make a selection (the main reason i was hesitant to running this little contest at all) But glad i did. I feel like ive gotten to know the game that is UO a little better.

The entries seemed to move in 3 main directions:
Those who personally and genuinely liked the actual item.
Those who applied the items content in a symbolic sense to give it personal value and meaning.
And those who liked the item for its representation of UO as a whole, as a game with no set definitions. Something for everyone, where the value is not in the immediate content at hand, but rather in the journey, the unknowns, the fun in enjoying the vast variations of UOs content. The appeal is in the disregard for limitations or expectations.

Because of the generosity of an anonymous donor i was able to reward 2 entries with the painting as a prize, but hope that you all had a good time.

Here are the two selections:

@Lord_Rotin
We would like to get a Hand on that item, because it fits directly in our new house design: “the kindergarten” we are building for new (younger) players in Luna. I got a daughter of 8 years myself. She recently started playing attended Ultima Online. (She is only allowed to play at weekend together with me). So when I showed her this new art in the other thread, where it was found in the code. She was so excited about it. She really loves it. And I told her that we will hunt together for this, when it comes up on Easter. Unfortunately it was not an Easter gift and she was so disappointed about that. L - I promised her that I will hunt for one, if it ever shows up. Unfortunately i can´t afford to buy those on the rares board. But if you would give this painting to us, we would really appreciate it and it will get a special spot in our new Player house. – Sorry I think it I will not be able to make longer stories and arguments for it, as my English isn´t the best. - My daughter would be so happy if i can get this painting for her....

I chose this one because it showed genuine appreciation of the painting's content as being perfect for youth, or those with a lighthearted, youthful spirit.

@Landicine
I will admit that in isolation, it is an imperfect image. Its colors are bright primaries that remind me of the childhood posters that used to decorate the walls of school and church. It is cutsie in a way that is almost saccharine.

Many have claimed that it doesn't fit UO, but I think they are wrong. UO has always been a strange mish-mash of art, objects, mechanics, and stories. Is this picture out of place considering things like giant holiday gifts, blessed bacon, and punk hair colors? Does this picture fit a world with Exodian robots, orc pirates, and dinosaurs? Yes, yes, it does.

I would like this picture because it is part of the weird and unpredictable legacy that is Ultima Online.

The last line on this one sums up an overall sentiment of many of the entries, and why many love and continue to play UO after all these years.

Thankyou all for participating. If anyone else would like to publicly post their entry, feel free. Or not. I just wanted the entries to be as individual and uneffected before the contest was over. All were very good and thankyou again for the insight provided into this particular UO item and on a larger scale, what makes UO a very special game.

I've pmed the 2 players to arrange for pickup of the paintings.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Figured you'd get one :( I lagged and crashed 6 times I had to leave!! :(

I REALLY like the painting and wanted one so bad....hopefully you get lots of submissions for this! It's just so CUTE! :heart:

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not know what to say... nice of you to do this. I hope someone from Origin wins.

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think the art is bad, and I'm not sure it is supposed to be a rainbow, looks like the handle of an easter basket, which is the brown part between them, and colorful eggs in the front. It is very Easter-y and that was the point. I say good job on it.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Good luck to those, someone will like it and thanks to smoot for giving it away. I dropped mine on the ground at the event, someone got a freebie :D

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
now i have sort of broken down in recent years and indulged in a rather colorful and sparkly garden type house, a long way from jet black roots, but this ones just a little over the top for me. but to each their own! maybe next holiday we can get some daemons and blood?

anyway, interested to see who likes it and why. can be anything.

Lord Trollo

Adventurer
There was alot of discussion here on how horrible this art is. Personally, i tend to agree. Bunnys and rainbows have no place in UO, nor do pastel colors. I could give all the reasons why as a rare collector, and UO house deco enthusiast that i cringe at this item, but i wont. Instead, if you like this item id like to know why. Maybe my opinion of the painting, and colors and bunnies and rainbows, the modern style art etc in UO will change overall (but probably not)

So i'm running a short contest. tell me in 300 words or less why you like this UO item. (VIA PM - DONT POST)
In 3 days ill choose a winner and post the winning short essay. it can be funny, truthful, thought provoking, poetic, or even a lie. its just a contest thats supposed to be fun.

View attachment 45582
this item obviously bothers you a great deal, and rightfully so! how dare them give away an easter portrait with bunnies and an easter basket. it's disgusting. almost as bad as those colored eggs that came out years back. this is an outrage. im closing my accounts.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Does it turn?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
smoot I love this item, this will teach all the multi account users, that make people crash, to bring only one char lol

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Smoot .. as always a man of principles, standards and stays true to those. Gotta hand it to ya man, that is sadly lacking in our world these days (in game and in RL).

Good luck to those who like the drop and who enter the contest.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think it's a unique piece of portrait artwork in UO that has more detail than most of the old portraits and landscapes we have. It's different and cute. I think it could be used as decoration in a "children's room" in someone's house or for anyone who decorates their home for Easter. I like it, ultimately, because it's different.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

View attachment 45582
I like this item because its so damn ugly that it looks nice...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's a unique piece of portrait artwork in UO that has more detail than most of the old portraits and landscapes we have. It's different and cute. I think it could be used as decoration in a "children's room" in someone's house or for anyone who decorates their home for Easter. I like it, ultimately, because it's different.

Children? Which Children? Ah you mean the goblins which are biting in my feet... Away with thee...

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The art is fine, but not something I'd have in my home with the date and the cheerfulness.

I want to see UO make (if needed) and celebrate UO lore holidays. We can have events have similar themes as traditional RL... like have a "love" one etc.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like it because it gives me a sense of although it may not be the best painting ever put in the game, you could roleplay it that it was a painting that your child gave you for the Vernal Equinox holiday, and you put it up on the wall of your home to show your love for that child.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"I like it because you cant spend development time better than creating an item exclusive to 1% of UO population." (things Mesanna says)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thankyou all for the posts :)

Today is the last day to submit an entry, have a decent amount of submissions to go thru. i read them all so far and great job everyone, ill be going thru them more thoroughly and making a final decision in the next few days.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
After much consideration ive made 2 selections, shown in the second post of this thread. Thankyou all! I hope this was as great an experience for everyone as it was for me, and ill be running similar contests in the future after the success of this one.
This is more of why I love UO. People who do things for others. Generosity even if sometimes it is for "selfish" reasons. It is community building. I have very fond memories of the kindness of strangers in this game and I am sure many others do as well.

It is that which keeps me playing UO. Thank you for reminding me.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Good submissions that you selected Smoot! You turned you're dislike of something into something fun and lighthearted.

Thanks again, sometimes you're pretty awesome ;)