• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

internet connection

Tectop

Journeyman
Was just curious how many players play with satellite or dial-up internet connection and if any how does it affect your game at then speeds

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Just do not place yerself in danger. Get some gold and insurance set up and you will be fine. Never expect to win a PvP fight with out top class connection, the rest of the game is manageable.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a 12 meg fiber connection and still have slow periods where my character does a step step pause routine using the CC which sends data to the game every three steps I've heard. I see it most commonly right after log in and it usually goes away fairly quickly. The ping is most important for PvP which needs to be under 50 mSec. The EC client is said to work faster and lets your character move faster which is popular playing PvP for that reason.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cable or DSL both good, or even fiber. For UO alone speed isn't that important, ping is more important and they all provide decent ping. For patching, browsing, streaming and pretty much any other activity than gaming, speed helps to improve your internet experience :)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tether my phone to my laptop and use the 4g service sometimes. you would be surprised on how fast it can be. :)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4g is pretty fast, IF you can get a steady connection from it, sadly though, the reliability overall of it is not that great, but if your home is close enough to a transmitter (or however they called in english) it can be very fast and reliable :)

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
4G/LTE indeed can be surprisingly fast. I use it now and then for small game parties with friends in a remote house out in the woods. Setup is 6-10 computers on a local 1Gb wired LAN and a 4G/LTE Router with an external directional MIMO antenna attached. The connection is very reliable (tested up to 72h without interruption) if you have a properly aligned antenna. I usually block the worst "phone home" applications locally (esp. Windows 10, this is a real plague - I simply refuse to set up a 4G/any network infrastructure to serve Micros%&*'s damned marketing and update insanity!) to keep the connection from choking and getting latency spikes. Worked out perfectly for UO with a latency average of 45ms (this is from Switzerland to Ireland / Drachenfels, 1300km) over 4G/LTE. At my home/office, I usually have ~35ms over cable for the same distance.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not contesting that it can be very fine, just that superb 4g coverage is limited mostly to big cities and affected by things like thick walls, armoured concrete, landscape and more. So results may wary. My granddad for example had a very poor 4g connection despite living in the city. Reason? living in a house from 1918 with foot think walls.

Lord Trollo

Adventurer
4G/LTE indeed can be surprisingly fast. I use it now and then for small game parties with friends in a remote house out in the woods. Setup is 6-10 computers on a local 1Gb wired LAN and a 4G/LTE Router with an external directional MIMO antenna attached. The connection is very reliable (tested up to 72h without interruption) if you have a properly aligned antenna. I usually block the worst "phone home" applications locally (esp. Windows 10, this is a real plague - I simply refuse to set up a 4G/any network infrastructure to serve Micros%&*'s damned marketing and update insanity!) to keep the connection from choking and getting latency spikes. Worked out perfectly for UO with a latency average of 45ms (this is from Switzerland to Ireland / Drachenfels, 1300km) over 4G/LTE. At my home/office, I usually have ~35ms over cable for the same distance.
i too and sick of microsoft holding a gun to my head and forcing me to upgrade to windows 10. came home one night and it had already begun the update process... on it's own. really sticking it to their customers.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
i too and sick of microsoft holding a gun to my head and forcing me to upgrade to windows 10. came home one night and it had already begun the update process... on it's own. really sticking it to their customers.
You will end up loving it. I was scared as hell too, when I at last allowed it to upgrade, but was very surpriced, when my desktop looked almost as it use to do, all my settings was saved and when I found Internet Explore again, insted of that dread thing called Edge, I was all fine.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You'll stop loving it once you realize the intrusive, completely unannounced updates regardless of the time of day or however many apps you had running. Windows will update right in the middle of playing UO !!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hmm, must be a way to force it to ask first, had not happen to me yet, I'm going to chech setting, when I get home.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It may be a simple automatic updates setting that needs to turned off, but I dont recall ever setting anything after upgrading. So windows must have set it itself, or its a setting that is NOT changeable by the user :-( Either way, I've had windows updates start at noon on a Monday before.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have forever had win xp. Finally upgraded to 10. I must agree for microsoft it really is not bad at all.... surprisingly.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh and they still have dial up??? *begins shaking and sweating uncontrolably as he remembers the days of a single photo taking 5 minutes to load.*

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hmm, must be a way to force it to ask first, had not happen to me yet, I'm going to chech setting, when I get home.
It may be a simple automatic updates setting that needs to turned off, but I dont recall ever setting anything after upgrading. So windows must have set it itself, or its a setting that is NOT changeable by the user :-( Either way, I've had windows updates start at noon on a Monday before.
Windows 10 Home version does not have a toggle for automatic updates, they are on, and you can't change it by default. Windows 10 Professional, on the other hand you can adjust when Updates are installed just like in previous versions.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I never used a windows home version :p

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I had Win7 Pro and got the free upgrade, so I doubt I have the home edition...but i'll check when I get home.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Then you should have got Win 10 Pro and you can changes it in setting -> upgrade and secure. You find setting in the start menu.
I sure would get angry if my computer decided to reboot, when I'm playing

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on 3 different connections a 56 Dial up ping is terrible as I am 29 miles from the server but it is playable as long as you don't go to Luna on atlantic or other high lag areas. Not even sure why I keep that service other than its all that will work with the win 95 computer in the South Barn. Use satelite and it sucks and is very hinky here just like the TV. Newest is the Verison highspeed 4G tower I leased some land to them for the next 30 years which includes unlimited data and 4 phones with regular upgrades as part of the lease in addition to the Monthly check. Gotta say for living 30 miles north of the middle of nowhere I have a FAST connection and very low pings. Not particularly thrilled with the jet pack or the giant tower that pokes heaven in the hindquarters but highspeed, free phones, jet pack and unlimited data plus a nice check every month for the next 30 years I can just not look at the 120'x120' foot print caged in for the tower. I can say the wireless loses its mojo inside metal barns, which is where I am right now and its only doing 65MBPS but still no lag. Satelite on the other hand sometimes faster, usually slower and often no signal despite their tech monkies spending hours upon hours trying to figure out why the sat signal gets lost here for 4-6 hours every day. And of course it blows the 56k dial up modem away in every aspect. I think the only reason I keep the landline and connection is the spending $90,000 to get the phone line ran to my place still stings after 10 years.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I want a jet pack!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 200 meg at home. I have 1gig at my office. Both are cable. The thing is it depends on your rig when it comes to speed for gaming. You can have the fastest internet and a crappy computer and you still be slow.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 200 meg at home. I have 1gig at my office. Both are cable. The thing is it depends on your rig when it comes to speed for gaming. You can have the fastest internet and a crappy computer and you still be slow.
And you can have the fastest connections and best rig on the market and still be exceptionally slow...... We see this everyday in Atl GC.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And you can have the fastest connections and best rig on the market and still be exceptionally slow...... We see this everyday in Atl GC.
That's your cable company issue. Could be the modem they offer. I had to upgrade my modem to a 24 channel to get the speeds I was paying for. My home speeds was only averaging around 100 mbs then after they gave me the 24 channel modem my average speed now is 203 mbs

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understood what he meant. Im not going down that road with him.