• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is the skill system patented or something?

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC: Even if it were, you could make a game with a skill system, claiming prior art from, say, Wizardry Bane of the Cosmic Forge of 1990 which is more than 20 years ago.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Skill point systems are too hard. Leveling and character classes are much easier. /end sarcasm

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Skill point systems are too hard. Leveling and character classes are much easier. /end sarcasm
It's definitely harder, it's much harder to balance individual skills vs class-based skill-sets.

The character creation/customization in UO is like no other, Level-based games are more like paper-rock-scissors.
UO you could make pretty much just about any template and if you play it right, you can win against anything.

Level-based games also tend to become item-based at the end of the leveling process. Some would argue UO is item-based (to an extent it really is), but it's not item based in the way the best gear automatically wins, like what you'd typically experience in most other level-based games.
UO, you can use low-end gear and still beat someone that's decked out in high end legendaries. it could be tough, but it's far from impossible.

/start sarcasm :D

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some would argue UO is item-based (to an extent it really is), but it's not item based in the way the best gear automatically wins, like what you'd typically experience in most other level-based games.
Compared to pre-AoS, UO went from zero to 100% item based in under 2 seconds...
Having two players with the exact same (RL) skill, experience & char template and one is just wearing GM armor & weapon whilethe other has a maxed out leg suit, I would know on whom I'd put my money.

Also in a good and balanced level-system based game you can archieve quite a lot even with undergeard chars, if you know how to manage your abilites & cooldowns you have at your disposal. End content is usually raiding or challenge dungeons. In both cases you have to deal with mob groups and bosses with complex mechanics, like movement heavy bosses, dps checks, hps checks, heavy CC, role calls etc... That's exactly where high end gear is required, especially for dps & hps checks or tank avoidance/damage mitigation.
In UO bosses are quite stupid and thus are usually just huge bullet sponges. Plus you can resurrect as often as you want during an encounter.
Bottom line, that's just comparing apples to oranges.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You could outfit me in a multi billion gold pvp suit and I would still have my butt handed to me no matter what the other guy has. That fact alone seems to prove uo is not 100% item based.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems like a genius idea that not many MMOs have tried to run with well. Warcraft's skills are the pits.
Like was said I imagine it's just far simpler to balance a class based game in both terms of power and flow of experience, and simper for people to drop into having to make fewer choices.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, guys, but you don't get it: UO 2016 is neither skill nor item based. It's 100% cheating-based. Regardless of skill, that person wins, that cheats most and uses hacks...

/end of sarcasm

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only works in UO since there is no real End game content, in UO it was all about Role play and making it yourself.
New games are not designed to work with this system of skill increase as everyone would be moaning about being max level and bored with end game content within the 1st month of a new game being released..............oh wait, they do. ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, guys, but you don't get it: UO 2016 is neither skill nor item based. It's 100% cheating-based. Regardless of skill, that person wins, that cheats most and uses hacks...

/end of sarcasm
Gotta agree the level of obvious cheating I have saw over this winter season back eclipses any I have seen in the past. It appears anything goes now days and the powers that be could care less. And I am not being sarcastic ;)

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Compared to pre-AoS, UO went from zero to 100% item based in under 2 seconds...
That is entirely accurate since very powerful vanquishing weapons and later good runic-crafted weapons did have their heyday at various points prior to AoS. Still, the game's focus was a lot more item based afterwards, though template can still be very important. A sampire armor set doesn't just work on any random character for example. So it would be more accurate to say that after AoS, UO went from ~10% item based to ~75%. Part of this was insurance. Before insurance, there were powerful weapons, but people risked losing them, so often they only used what they could afford to lose. After insurance, it made sense to use the best gear for the task at hand always. I would also argue it is still possible to use an inexpensive set and be mostly competent in most aspects of game, except PvP.

As for the original question, I believe some game system mechanics themselves can't be patented or copyrighted, but the arrangement can be. While it can be a complicated issue (example: Scrabble/Scrabulous lawsuit), there are a lot of percentage-based skill systems (RuneQuest was probably one of the first to use the percentile die), so another game could have a similar skill system, though the exact list of skills and how they work would vary.