• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is the "Google Chrome" operating system U.O. compatible?

Norman Bates

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thinking of buying a new laptop that is wi-fi capable, it come with google chrome operating system [which I've never had & know nothing about]. U.O. site states Windows & Mac compatible. Any insights would be greatly appreciated:]

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is only officially compatible with windows afaik, but there is workarounds to make em work on other operation systems using windows emulators.

As for your specific question, I have no idea whatsoever.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thinking of buying a new laptop that is wi-fi capable, it come with google chrome operating system [which I've never had & know nothing about]. U.O. site states Windows & Mac compatible. Any insights would be greatly appreciated:]
"Chrome OS is an operating system designed by Google and based upon the Linux kernel. Google announced the project in July 2009, conceiving it as an operating system in which both applications and user data reside in the cloud: hence Chrome OS primarily runs web applications.
Chrome OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaChrome_OS"

Above is copy of just googling, check it out, should find your answer there. Have to have a lot more info on that laptop before we can help you I think. UO has to be downloaded and run from your hard drive and this sounds OS sounds like it works from the Cloud.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You won't be able to play UO on a Chromebook as it comes from the factory, it's basically running Android (A simplification here, don't try to correct me.) which won't run Windows programs.

Apparently you can enable developer mode, install a program called Crouton to get a Linux desktop, and then install Wine on that... but just buy a Windows laptop instead.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I am old fashioned, but i simply cannot see what an android based laptop can do a tablet cannot, other than more comfy keyboard. I always feel naked when I only have my tablet with me, all that I can do game related is ICQ and IRC, none of the games I play has an interaction mobile app or anything or the sorts :)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Maybe I am old fashioned, but i simply cannot see what an android based laptop can do a tablet cannot, other than more comfy keyboard. I always feel naked when I only have my tablet with me, all that I can do game related is ICQ and IRC, none of the games I play has an interaction mobile app or anything or the sorts :)
Write a research paper on a tablet and the importance of that comfy keyboard glaringly obviously. :p

Chromebooks are designed to be a low cost productivity solution for businesses or students, or as a low cost laptop for people who only browse online and write the occasional letter or email. They weren't intended to play games on.