• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lets see some numbers (runebook poll)

Runebooks

• Total voters

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You forgot I don't mind either way.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You forgot I don't mind either way.
everyone leans one way or another. its not a life changing decision, i think someone can pick without too much thought

i thought about adding it, but for simplicity and more accurate overall results i decided not too. if you absolutely cant decide which one you prefer, dont vote.

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I liked the ones that were a middle term between old and new, that got "fixed" in the publish much better than both old and new.
The new border and ankh highlights are just plain ugly and clash too much with whatever colour you dye them.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted Original Look, not so much because i "hate" or "dislike" the new look, but more because I find it a waste to make new graphics for runebooks after the principle of "If it ain't broke - don't fix it"

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As someone who likes the new look, here is why:

1. The art is sharper to me. A step in the right direction to more high res graphics, even if it's only a small step.
2. I have always hated the "dipped in paint" look of things when you dye them. Why on earth did we have to dye the anhk and the pages of the runebooks in the first place? Embellishments should always retain thier original hue when an item is dyed. The new runebooks are a step in the right direction for art that applies that methodology.

A couple things I will say about the comments of those who dislike them.

1. Change is hard. Yes after 17 years we had gotten used to the runebook art, but I still think it was sloppy art.
2. IMO, it was not the symbol, and to a lesser degree the gold edge, that made the colors harder to distinguish in the rune library... It is that the pages between the covers no longer change color.
3. I will say that the hue does seem to be a little darker. This is a change I am not so much in favor of. We have seen this issue crop up with other new art as well... Where the base hue of the item skews the color of the dye. Hawkwinds robe is an example going the other way... All the colors come out lighter than they should. I want a dark red robe, but no matter what color I use, it looks more pink. This is something that should be addressed across the board.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As someone who likes the new look, here is why:

1. The art is sharper to me. A step in the right direction to more high res graphics, even if it's only a small step.
2. I have always hated the "dipped in paint" look of things when you dye them. Why on earth did we have to dye the anhk and the pages of the runebooks in the first place? Embellishments should always retain thier original hue when an item is dyed. The new runebooks are a step in the right direction for art that applies that methodology.

A couple things I will say about the comments of those who dislike them.

1. Change is hard. Yes after 17 years we had gotten used to the runebook art, but I still think it was sloppy art.
2. IMO, it was not the symbol, and to a lesser degree the gold edge, that made the colors harder to distinguish in the rune library... It is that the pages between the covers no longer change color.
3. I will say that the hue does seem to be a little darker. This is a change I am not so much in favor of. We have seen this issue crop up with other new art as well... Where the base hue of the item skews the color of the dye. Hawkwinds robe is an example going the other way... All the colors come out lighter than they should. I want a dark red robe, but no matter what color I use, it looks more pink. This is something that should be addressed across the board.
i think its the bright yellow that bothers people. having the same icon on all the books, in the brightest color makes them hard to differentiate. if the color of the ahnk was not the first thing that catches the eye (a dimmer hue) or was the same color as main book, it would be eaiser to find a book at a glance.

the corners all being the same, bright color also make it extremely difficult to tell them apart when arranged in pack efficiently, or when stacked in a rune library.

agree with the pages issue, this also contributes to the scattered look.

i like the "look" of a single new one too, if its one runebook by itself and i dont have to use them daily. but when trying to use them efficiently the different look is inferior in visual functionality.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i voted original. the bright yellow ankh & edging are garish and overpower the dyed books.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still maintain they didn't make 'new' art, they simply corrected the partial hueing (which is what the publish notes said had been done). On the old books the gold overlaid the whole book, thus lightening the base colour. Fixing the partial hue so that it only affected the parts it was meant to, ie the corner and ankh symbol, revealed the true base colour. This was somewhat darker than we had been used to.

I'm rather hoping that this means 'partial hueing' is now more possible than it used to be and we can perhaps get coloured plants with green leaves instead of leaves the same colour as the flowers. (fingers crossed!!)

I haven't voted on the poll, because to be honest, I don't have a problem with the runebooks, either way.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This poll will not be representative of the population, as stratics itself is made up of mainly aggressively trammel players who dislike any type of change at all.
And if people didn't care, they wouldn't vote.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I prefer the original color, if you remove a rune to remark it, sometimes it appears on top of the another runebook in your pack and it blends in perfectly with the rune on the cover of the book.

I do think the newer books look better slightly, but in all honesty, They should be improving the look of what everyone can see, not something that may or may not be hidden in someones backpack.

Either way, it's not game-changing for me, I'll be transitioning to the Runic Atlas anyway, just to condense space in my pack 3x runebooks in one slightly larger book? it's worth.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This poll will not be representative of the population, as stratics itself is made up of mainly aggressively trammel players who dislike any type of change at all.
And if people didn't care, they wouldn't vote.
of course it wont. stratics is a very small percentage of UOs population. (i dont see what that has to do with pvp/tram/fel tho, id say stratics actually has a higher percentage of pvpers represented than non-pvp players. Pvers seem to be about 10 to 15 percent of the games overall pop, just recognizing the names here id say stratics is pretty representive of that number.

also the japanese / korean / taiwanese populations are mostly not represented, and they comprose about 35% of UOs overall population.

as for the not caring / not voting, in any business where a change is made that people "dont care" about, it can be equated with loss of revenue, because resources were invested in something with no effect.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't I read in another thread where Mesanna was quoted saying they was not going to change the art and the case was closed?

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Didn't I read in another thread where Mesanna was quoted saying they was not going to change the art and the case was closed?
yes and the quote came from the Sakura meet and greet. apparently the asian UO population isn't happy with the change either.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Easier to differentiate from Spell books.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
3. I will say that the hue does seem to be a little darker. This is a change I am not so much in favor of. We have seen this issue crop up with other new art as well... Where the base hue of the item skews the color of the dye. Hawkwinds robe is an example going the other way... All the colors come out lighter than they should. I want a dark red robe, but no matter what color I use, it looks more pink. This is something that should be addressed across the board

I think the darker color is the biggest issue. In the right side, of the image below, I've taken the old books and added the gold corners and ankh + the uncolored pages*.

The colors there, are still fairly easy to distinguish. I think that would be a great compromise. :smile2:

RuneLibrary3.png

* I've corrected the tiny error they've made; the pixel at the far right is not a part of the pages.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still gotta wonder what was the point of the change? Why fix something that was not broken and NO ONE had a problem with? More so when there are broken things and things that need attention.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
of course it wont. stratics is a very small percentage of UOs population. (i dont see what that has to do with pvp/tram/fel tho, id say stratics actually has a higher percentage of pvpers represented than non-pvp players. Pvers seem to be about 10 to 15 percent of the games overall pop, just recognizing the names here id say stratics is pretty representive of that number.

also the japanese / korean / taiwanese populations are mostly not represented, and they comprose about 35% of UOs overall population.

as for the not caring / not voting, in any business where a change is made that people "dont care" about, it can be equated with loss of revenue, because resources were invested in something with no effect.
I'm really not sure what it is about the Stratics Forums that attracts so many unsavoury characters, I don't remember having to tick a box to confirm i'm a dbag when joining stratics, perhaps it's from a long history of poor admins who would ban anyone who argues with their carebear playstyle and so over time the normal people have dropped off these forums.

It being good Friday, Stratics forums users would vote for Barabbas.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Case in point: Coca-Cola changes its flavor in the early 80's. They lost market share to Pepsi.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The problem with polling Stratics players is that it only represents the smallest portion of the player base... very few Asian players come here... and less and less of the newer players come here.... fact is most the people who still come to Stratics are old schoolers... and when you poll them most of them don't want the game to change in the slightest from how it was in 1997...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with polling Stratics players is that it only represents the smallest portion of the player base... very few Asian players come here... and less and less of the newer players come here.... fact is most the people who still come to Stratics are old schoolers... and when you poll them most of them don't want the game to change in the slightest from how it was in 1997...

I am fine with positive change, change just for the sake of change that improves nothing or all too often makes things worse.......... that is not progress.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am fine with positive change, change just for the sake of change that improves nothing or all too often makes things worse.......... that is not progress.
But it improved the look of the thing and it doesn't look muddy anymore.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Poll isn't gonna change anything, and I'm with Petra on this as the rune book don't matter much to me - just gotta go re-dye the library I was working on to more contrasting colors.

What matters is that since they are doing partial-hues on items, makes me wonder what else will change....

Plants I probably won't mind, but there are so many things that will change and that kinda concerns me.

My thinking is that there are so many other things within the game that need overhauling. I know we've been screaming for "better art" for years (keep in mind, art is VERY SUBJECTIVE, the hullaballoo over the runebooks is proof) - but I'd rather some core things be overhauled first....
1 - pets, taming and vet
2 - VvV
3 - All Virtue Systems
4 - How about some Anti-Virtue Systems? (seeking a balance here)