• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

High. Seas pirate quests..

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ok....been scuttling merchant ships.....lots of liquor smugglers caches...cool....did a pirate quest...killed the crew, scuttled the ship....the dread pirate took an unreal amount of time to kill....reward...10kgold....major and greater magic pieces.....a death certificate.....for the amount of time that was taken for the quest.....was it worth it? The 10k I could have gotten pvm. Am I being too picky????

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
.... try an Allosaurus with 19,000 hit points for 45 minutes for about 5k gold :)

Yeah, I think a lot of us are picky when it comes to time versus gold amount, and yeah, I am pointing the finger at myself there as well. If we looked at it solely along those lines everyone would just be in game merchants ... I mean that is where the nice gold to time ratio is :)

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Capture the pirate rather than killing him/her. Gives you a shot at 1 of 8 'pieces' needed for an Orc ship. Completed ship sells for 9 to 12 mill and pieces go for 500K to 1 MILL.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you also loot the onboard containers ? When you also add in 350 barbed leather and sometimes 150 valorite and verite ingots to that 5 minute endeavor, it makes for a profitable 5 minutes. I say 5 minutes because that's roughly how long it takes me to scuttle a dread ship, kill the orcs, then jump aboard and whip the captain.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This is a little of topic but I always thought they'd incorporate a new cutlass or pirate hat drop like captain johns after implementing the high seas.

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
.... try an Allosaurus with 19,000 hit points for 45 minutes for about 5k gold :)

Yeah, I think a lot of us are picky when it comes to time versus gold amount, and yeah, I am pointing the finger at myself there as well. If we looked at it solely along those lines everyone would just be in game merchants ... I mean that is where the nice gold to time ratio is :)
Lol..you are so right!!!!

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Capture the pirate rather than killing him/her. Gives you a shot at 1 of 8 'pieces' needed for an Orc ship. Completed ship sells for 9 to 12 mill and pieces go for 500K to 1 MILL.
Thks for the feedback....I have an orc ship...however...selling the pieces makes sense...

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Did you also loot the onboard containers ? When you also add in 350 barbed leather and sometimes 150 valorite and verite ingots to that 5 minute endeavor, it makes for a profitable 5 minutes. I say 5 minutes because that's roughly how long it takes me to scuttle a dread ship, kill the orcs, then jump aboard and whip the captain.
I guess I'm being jaded....

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The pirate-hunting crap was never worth doing. There were threads and threads about it when High Seas came out, a bunch of cheerleaders tried to pretend people would screw with it "for the fun of it", and in the end it went on the same turdpile of wasted content that most new stuff does.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I do it..just for fun :) It's not always about how much gold you get or how many shinies you can get :/

The waters in Sosaria are VERY glitchy though and if they could ever find a way to fix that I would be SO HAPPY!

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok....been scuttling merchant ships.....lots of liquor smugglers caches...cool....did a pirate quest...killed the crew, scuttled the ship....the dread pirate took an unreal amount of time to kill....reward...10kgold....major and greater magic pieces.....a death certificate.....for the amount of time that was taken for the quest.....was it worth it? The 10k I could have gotten pvm. Am I being too picky????
I don't really view my play time in the world as a maximum gold per minute calculation. There is lots of content I enjoy simply for the fun of it.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't really view my play time in the world as a maximum gold per minute calculation. There is lots of content I enjoy simply for the fun of it.
True. All those hours many of you spend decorating and redecorating your houses or updating your wardrobe doesn't pay anything, does it? ;)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Every time the developers add some chunk of ill-incentivized content that isn't worth doing more than once or twice out of curiosity, the cheerleaders pop up to tell us all how THEY don't NEED any mere filthy pixel crack in order to enjoy spamming Armor Ignore for two hours or whatever. Like whoop-dee-doo, congratulations on being so enlightened. Meanwhile back in the world, game content needs to spit out some kind of reward or you'll never get enough people doing it to justify developing it in the first place.

Thankfully the developers seem to know this now. When we laughed at how lame the original set of Shadowguard artifacts were, they actually buffed them into being desirable.

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My point exactly, standing there for 45minutes spamming and wacking away at a pirate seems way too time consuming.....boring....all that for no payback or real fun/challenge..

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I find merchant ships more worth it - until you get tired of getting saltpeter for the gunpowder

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My point exactly, standing there for 45minutes spamming and wacking away at a pirate seems way too time consuming.....boring....all that for no payback or real fun/challenge..
If it took you 45 minutes to kill a dread pirate...yeah you should probably find something else to earn gold from :)

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True. All those hours many of you spend decorating and redecorating your houses or updating your wardrobe doesn't pay anything, does it? ;)
Not sure I understand what you are implying or asking? Are you asking whether people enjoy the housing/tailoring content because it doesn't earn them gold?

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only reason I see to attack the Pirate ships with Red Cpts is when questing for Orc Ship plans. Otherwise stick to the merchant ships and Pirate ships that do not spawn with a Red Cpt. The plunder from merchant ships will make it unnecessary to mine for ore, lumberjack, or hunt for leather. Salt peter can be purchased as well as mined for and player vendors sell all the supplies ready made. The often complained about cannon operation mechanic is a breeze if you take a moment to make the proper macro. Works wonderful with EC. I don't know enough about CC to say one way or the other.

To each his own obviously but I wouldn't dismiss the High Seas ship encounters. They are an excellent and very efficient way to farm resources.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I love high seas and the adventure as well as the reward. I am a equal opportunity privateer on the seas if I see merchants I scuttle them and dry loot them. Best haul from a single merch ship was 550 val, 350 ver, 400 ag 700 barbed and a couple hundred blood and heartwood logs. average is 150-200 each ignot 400barbed and the rest and miss. I can't mine ignots even close to what I can privateer them. Also get the occasional heavy cannon, armor buff stuff and white cloth dye tubs. Killing the pirates is a error, get the quest bind the pirate and I atleast tend to get less cannon ballz and more ship parts. Like Garth said if you are taking 45 minutes to kill a DP you need practice or a new career :) Longest it has taken me to bring one down was 20 minutes. If you are a tamer put a rune beetle mare combo on them. If you are a tamer with archery use a high ssi, hld, 50 DI bow with hit lightning or fireball on it. GDs while good meat shields and not needing healing.... do take forever to kill the pirates. A mystic mage can wipe them out pretty fast dropping RCs and Flame strikes, add in necro and corpse skin and strangle and they drop even faster. 10-15 minutes. What annoys me is the damn pirate ships keep firing after the crew is dead, best way to stop taking damage is to manuever behind the ship and board from the back. But a few pirate ships when scuttled will still flip to keep their forward cannon on you. Having a GM carpenter on call helps a lot in the cost of repairs. Learning to hit and run and your ship only get slightly damaged helps a lot as well. Soloing just get between two cannons and you can work them both pretty fast from the context swoop in fire both cannons and zip out of range while reloading the cannons and repeat until its scuttled. Having 5-10 ship paintings helps a lot in the gun powder department, so all you are wasting your salt peter on is fuse cords. What sucks is when you are fighting on dread pirate and another pirate ship comes along and blocks your ship against the scuttled ship. Had it happen twice where I got wedged in and could not move my ship because to scuttle pirate ships had me blocked. Only solution there is wait and wait and wait some more until the pirate ships are gone. Not saying high seas is for everyone but I have a lot of fun scouring the seas for treasure, and even more fun when I can get a crew or two to man the cannons.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only reason I see to attack the Pirate ships with Red Cpts is when questing for Orc Ship plans. Otherwise stick to the merchant ships and Pirate ships that do not spawn with a Red Cpt. The plunder from merchant ships will make it unnecessary to mine for ore, lumberjack, or hunt for leather. Salt peter can be purchased as well as mined for and player vendors sell all the supplies ready made. The often complained about cannon operation mechanic is a breeze if you take a moment to make the proper macro. Works wonderful with EC. I don't know enough about CC to say one way or the other.

To each his own obviously but I wouldn't dismiss the High Seas ship encounters. They are an excellent and very efficient way to farm resources.
The only thing I mine for now is iron and niter deposits :)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure I understand what you are implying or asking? Are you asking whether people enjoy the housing/tailoring content because it doesn't earn them gold?
Not really asking anything; the question was rhetorical. Just agreeing that we do a lot of things that have nothing to do with making gold. But I can see the OP's point that if you're doing something with the intent of making some gold or resources that you need, you want the effort to be worth the time.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The often complained about cannon operation mechanic is a breeze if you take a moment to make the proper macro. Works wonderful with EC. I don't know enough about CC to say one way or the other.
I record each cannons loading and firing process using UOA with the CC and it works well.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I would like to see the newer EM/dev team member names added to the mix.

I'd also like to get a title reward of "Captain" for killing so many pirates/merchants, and "the Pirate" for just merchants.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I asked for frostwood to be added to the ships, as it only makes sense that the hardest to obtain materials would be aboard ships. It went ignored like a lot of my emails to them have.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I love high seas and the adventure as well as the reward. I am a equal opportunity privateer on the seas if I see merchants I scuttle them and dry loot them. Best haul from a single merch ship was 550 val, 350 ver, 400 ag 700 barbed and a couple hundred blood and heartwood logs. average is 150-200 each ignot 400barbed and the rest and miss. I can't mine ignots even close to what I can privateer them. Also get the occasional heavy cannon, armor buff stuff and white cloth dye tubs. Killing the pirates is a error, get the quest bind the pirate and I atleast tend to get less cannon ballz and more ship parts. Like Garth said if you are taking 45 minutes to kill a DP you need practice or a new career :) Longest it has taken me to bring one down was 20 minutes. If you are a tamer put a rune beetle mare combo on them. If you are a tamer with archery use a high ssi, hld, 50 DI bow with hit lightning or fireball on it. GDs while good meat shields and not needing healing.... do take forever to kill the pirates. A mystic mage can wipe them out pretty fast dropping RCs and Flame strikes, add in necro and corpse skin and strangle and they drop even faster. 10-15 minutes. What annoys me is the damn pirate ships keep firing after the crew is dead, best way to stop taking damage is to manuever behind the ship and board from the back. But a few pirate ships when scuttled will still flip to keep their forward cannon on you. Having a GM carpenter on call helps a lot in the cost of repairs. Learning to hit and run and your ship only get slightly damaged helps a lot as well. Soloing just get between two cannons and you can work them both pretty fast from the context swoop in fire both cannons and zip out of range while reloading the cannons and repeat until its scuttled. Having 5-10 ship paintings helps a lot in the gun powder department, so all you are wasting your salt peter on is fuse cords. What sucks is when you are fighting on dread pirate and another pirate ship comes along and blocks your ship against the scuttled ship. Had it happen twice where I got wedged in and could not move my ship because to scuttle pirate ships had me blocked. Only solution there is wait and wait and wait some more until the pirate ships are gone. Not saying high seas is for everyone but I have a lot of fun scouring the seas for treasure, and even more fun when I can get a crew or two to man the cannons.
Please tell me that best haul was on a production shard and not Siege ?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please tell me that best haul was on a production shard and not Siege ?
Err nope that was Siege only one time did I pull one that good. Usually a lot less than that. Although it does seem to me the Jhelom area merchants have more and better loot than the Tokuno there are a lot less of them than in tokuno. Or maybe I have just gotten spoiled usually having 4-5 merch ships in the waters north of the wolf house.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked for frostwood to be added to the ships, as it only makes sense that the hardest to obtain materials would be aboard ships. It went ignored like a lot of my emails to them have.
I gave up on trying to find blood wood and frostwood, once ina blue moon and then only if you mumble the incantation to perfection, will FW or BW spawn on the LJ route I make. Just like with metal I have endless annoyment at the hours and hours I spent locating and marking runes for deposits and trees. These years later I am no less annoyed with that change and dribble Wilki telling us how great the change was. Yeah so great on a script has the time and patience to mine or chop any signifigant amount. Stops self from going into full blow miner LJ rant............

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I gave up on trying to find blood wood and frostwood, once ina blue moon and then only if you mumble the incantation to perfection, will FW or BW spawn on the LJ route I make. Just like with metal I have endless annoyment at the hours and hours I spent locating and marking runes for deposits and trees. These years later I am no less annoyed with that change and dribble Wilki telling us how great the change was. Yeah so great on a script has the time and patience to mine or chop any signifigant amount. Stops self from going into full blow miner LJ rant............
I gave up got me 5 of the tree stumps I get more frostwood from those than I could lumberjacking non-stop all day.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have a UOAssist cannonload macro that works wonderful, so it sure can be done.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gave up got me 5 of the tree stumps I get more frostwood from those than I could lumberjacking non-stop all day.
Yeah I have started claiming those for that very reason. Kind of speaks to how messed up resource gathering is when you can mine more of the top 3 ores from merch ships than by mining and more heartwood and bloodwood than my lumber jacking. Seems 100 skill points invested in skills specific to collecting those resources should provide more than ships and tree stumps. But hey Mining is good for T maps and LJ for collecting bark fragments , parasitic plants, fungus and the occasional amber. And yes on Siege for those that don't know making blank scrolls is far more appealing than buying them ;) Atleast for us poor folk.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see those 48 pounder cannons that were mentioned implemented....... Of course I would also like surface to surface missile platforms available for my big brit ship ;)

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd settle for some new rare and legendary fish that could be caught in Eodon. I mean come on. All that fishing area in the new land and no one thought to add a couple of new fish....grrr! :arr:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They didnt think to add the new towns to the fishing quests when they added, you know, the new docks ?:shots:

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. I guess the residents of Minoc, Yew, and New Mag are allergic to seafood....