• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

casting focus question

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much casting focus do you need to run on a suit so you wont need protection?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe the casting focus cap is 12%. So I don't believe you could ever completely replace it.
True, Although I'm pretty sure Scribe exceeds the "item cap" bringing you to 17%, I know for a fact the Peacemaking Mastery Song exceed the cap.
at most I believe you could have 22% maybe 24% casting focus (with bard running songs) I don't have a bard with all 4 barding skills at 120.

IMO Casting Focus still needs to be Removed from UO!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True, Although I'm pretty sure Scribe exceeds the "item cap" bringing you to 17%, I know for a fact the Peacemaking Mastery Song exceed the cap.
at most I believe you could have 22% maybe 24% casting focus (with bard running songs) I don't have a bard with all 4 barding skills at 120.

IMO Casting Focus still needs to be Removed from UO!
Why,,,is it really that overpowering?

at what point are you reasonably uninterruptible in PVM and PVP???

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am playing all my chars with protection 24/7, wouldn't like to rely on CF

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
12 is the cap from items then you get an extra 5 from scribe = 17%

I have no idea from the bard buffs and what they add.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am playing all my chars with protection 24/7, wouldn't like to rely on CF
with that opinion I would guess you are probably never going to be a high end player. but frankly wouldnt it be more helpful for you to just say...I dont know the answer to your question????
I am not sure why you felt that was an essential post to make???

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
12 is the cap from items then you get an extra 5 from scribe = 17%

I have no idea from the bard buffs and what they add.
Ok that is the cap.....does that make you uninterruptible with 2/4 casting... or 4/6 casting??

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with that opinion I would guess you are probably never going to be a high end player. but frankly wouldnt it be more helpful for you to just say...I dont know the answer to your question????
I am not sure why you felt that was an essential post to make???
You are the king of non-essential posts on this board, sir. But didn't intend to troll you thread, so: "Sorry and out..."

Signed
A non-high end player

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It would be super-overpowering if you could run around and cast spells uninterrupted. The whole game is balanced around being able to interrupt spells.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be super-overpowering if you could run around and cast spells uninterrupted. The whole game is balanced around being able to interrupt spells.
ROFLMAO.....perhaps...but from what I am seeing here...either most of the regulars really dont have a clue as to the answer to my question...or my dementia is kicking in and effecting my comprehension level.
From what I am seeing it is not possible to be uninterrupted using casting focus regardless of casting speed.

but I dont believe the whole game is balanced around this simple ability when running protection makes you 100% uninterruptable???

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

OK if that is the case why does it need to be removed from the game?

I get a sense that I am missing some significant information here.??

Sounds to me like it is zero benefit to PVM and minimal benefit to PVP as it is now designed

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sounds to me like it is zero benefit to PVM and minimal benefit to PVP as it is now designed
It's actually a huge benefit to pvp. Examples: Guy is casting spell plague, which is easy to interrupt. CF procs and he successfully casts it. Another example: you poison someone & successfully cycle them, preventing them from casting. CF kicks in and they get cure off.

At the same time, it also has its drawbacks. Its ability to prevent interruptions can result in overcasting, since you might not notice that the spell you were casting wasn't interrupted. Protection does prevent all interruptions, which is better than a random CF proc, but has its own drawbacks: lowered resist making you a MUCH easier target for poison, paralyze, mana vamp, and the FC penalty. If you get used to it, no FC isn't TERRIBLE, but there's a world of difference between 0 FC and 2 FC. I've fought people using protection who did nothing but flamestrike spam (which is one of the few spells the person casts, and refuses to take advice on improving), and I was able to mini-heal between each one.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's actually a huge benefit to pvp. Examples: Guy is casting spell plague, which is easy to interrupt. CF procs and he successfully casts it. Another example: you poison someone & successfully cycle them, preventing them from casting. CF kicks in and they get cure off.

At the same time, it also has its drawbacks. Its ability to prevent interruptions can result in overcasting, since you might not notice that the spell you were casting wasn't interrupted. Protection does prevent all interruptions, which is better than a random CF proc, but has its own drawbacks: lowered resist making you a MUCH easier target for poison, paralyze, mana vamp, and the FC penalty. If you get used to it, no FC isn't TERRIBLE, but there's a world of difference between 0 FC and 2 FC. I've fought people using protection who did nothing but flamestrike spam (which is one of the few spells the person casts, and refuses to take advice on improving), and I was able to mini-heal between each one.
Thank you that was very informative

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

No, it's okay and will allow some of your spells in that 12 or 17% chance range to be cast without being interrupted.

But you will never be able to get enough to have all your spells be uninterrupted.

I use 12 on my pvp char and it does make a noticeable difference, especially when curing poison or casting something with a similar debuff.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You're not completely Uninterruptible, BUT there is no cooldown on CF procs, at 17% (scribe mages would be at 17% most of the time), it's roughly 1/6 spells go off without interruption which can be a big deal.

It should be Changed or Removed because of how it effected mage dueling. Mage dueling was pretty popular among a lot of pvpers here in UO, many of them quit, some still play, others now play free shards. Adding randomness to something where competition is a thing is completely stupid, which is why dueling is pretty much dead now. There was very little RNG in mage dueling before (the way it should be) Casting focus was added to the game. now a Mage duel has almost as much RNG as a dexer duel now a days. Dueling is dead because of the randomness added to it. I still cannot believe it was added to the game.

Now that we have it though, I think they should change Casting Focus to Only work vs NPC's (player pets would be included), and allow it to spawn in increments of 5-10-15-20% on items so you could get 100% because there's a pretty big gap between Dexers & Mages when it comes to Pvm balancing Very highly in favor of dexers.

Pros to both.
Mage = Can't miss, no cap on SDI*, teleport, field spells & Summons.
Mages are interruptible unless they Slow their casting speed with use of the Protection Spell. Which also lowers resistance skill and physical resistances.
*SDI gear is severely limited. especially if you're going for Max SDI (currently obtainable unbuffed is 125% SDI (not including the +5% town bonus)

Dexer = More/easier access to slayers, a flat rate attack speed (depending on weapon), mana leech, stamina leech, life leech (property/vamp form/curse weapon) slayer talismans. Armor Ignore, Whirlwind, & Double Strike.

Changes to the Poisoning Skill (poison immunity) also contributed to this "randomness as well", as it Clearly does not work as intended.

From patch notes:

Poisoning
A few tweaks to Poison and Poisoning Skill. Poisoning skill now grants a small measure of resistance to being poisoned. When poison is cured by any means except potions, the target receives a temporary resistance which is similar to, but less effective than the natural resistance granted by the poisoning skill.

Spells:

• Poison (Magery): Players with greater than GM Poisoning and GM Magery will have a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles. Poison strength now reduces with range instead of dropping to 1 at ranges 3 or greater.
    • Poison Strike (Necromancy): Necromancers with greater than 60 poisoning skill will have a 3% to 9% chance (Scales with poison skill) to poison their target.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
How much casting focus do you need to run on a suit so you wont need protection?
100% CF to not need protection.

Don't listen to anyone else, this is a very well kept secret that many do not want out. But I feel it's time for it to come out.