• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pulling Bars EC vs CC

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Paste CC art over the EC client and I think we're all good. Call the CC the CCEC and the other butt ugly ;)
Like I have posted before this would be a good compromise. I play the EC. I don't play it for the graphics, I play because of the features. To be honest the graphics in the CC and EC are both way out of date.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC users gotta accept the CC is the popular client and they only hurt UO by ignoring this blatant fact.
Blatant fact?
Why don't you enlighten us with some hard numbers, since you got all the facts? I'm not talking of some made up percentage numbers, which don't even come from official side. Some real numbers, because, well, you have the facts, obviously.

TBH, it is like this:
EC is the new trammel. Everyone goes there, just nobody wants to admit it.
The only big difference is, that with trammel everyone can see who's there, but it is not plain obvious who is using the EC and who not.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Blatant fact?
Why don't you enlighten us with some hard numbers, since you got all the facts? I'm not talking of some made up percentage numbers, which don't even come from official side. Some real numbers, because, well, you have the facts, obviously.

TBH, it is like this:
EC is the new trammel. Everyone goes there, just nobody wants to admit it.
The only big difference is, that with trammel everyone can see who's there, but it is not plain obvious who is using the EC and who not.
It's about 60% CC and 40 EC with a lot of the EC users just sucking up the fact the EC looks horrid for a few features like IDing colors, lol. Every Stratics poll shows it. I'm not sure how many refuse to admit they play Trammel lol. I can't say I never go to Fel but it's pretty damn rare. A poll is a poll. It's a sampling, that's exactly what we get here on Stratics. I don't see why anyone wouldn't admit to using the EC. I doubt anyone would think less of someone because they use the EC lol. Anything else ya need to know just let me know! The EC is helping to kill Fel anyway, if CC users feel they are at a disadvantage, if they actually are or not, simply won't go to Fel for PvP. EC marches on turning the lights in UO off. The proof is if the EC was kicking butt BS would be all over it cause working on the CC seems difficult for that crew. They would love to be justified in ignoring it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Paste CC art over the EC client and I think we're all good. Call the CC the CCEC and the other butt ugly ;) EC users gotta accept the CC is the popular client and they only hurt UO by ignoring this blatant fact. As you leave the CC behind you leave UO behind.
That certainly seems like a much more reasonable request than take all the EC stuff and program it into the CC, that's for sure.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's about 60% CC and 40 EC with a lot of the EC users just sucking up the fact the EC looks horrid for a few features like IDing colors, lol. Every Stratics poll shows it. I'm not sure how many refuse to admit they play Trammel lol. I can't say I never go to Fel but it's pretty damn rare. A poll is a poll. It's a sampling, that's exactly what we get here on Stratics. I don't see why anyone wouldn't admit to using the EC. I doubt anyone would think less of someone because they use the EC lol. Anything else ya need to know just let me know! The EC is helping to kill Fel anyway, if CC users feel they are at a disadvantage, if they actually are or not, simply won't go to Fel for PvP. EC marches on turning the lights in UO off. The proof is if the EC was kicking butt BS would be all over it cause working on the CC seems difficult for that crew. They would love to be justified in ignoring it.
Yeah, a poll is a poll, that much is correct. And the sampling part as well. But it is a way too small sample to draw any conclusions. Stratics doesn't represent the whole playerbase. It is just a forum, where the devs also happen to post. And even less people are actively voting in such a poll. At least your speculation of 60/40 goes into the direction of the official statement. And that is the only thing we have and know for sure: 50/50.
Of course you can impute lying to the devs, but I'm not doing that.

You got my tram/fel statement a bit wrong. Back in the days OSI was facing a ****storm in the forums for creating trammel, truth is that trammel saved UO from closing the service for good. (Btw, another good (or bad ;)) example for sampling in a forum.)
While EC might not be on par with trammel in that regard, it did its share to keep UO running as well.

Not shutting down CC isn't proof of anything. It is just proof, that BS doesn't dare to loose ANY customer, regardless of which client that customer is favouring.

IMHO they need to have the guts to shut down one of the clients for better or worse. Even if it would mean, that in the worst case they're going to pull the plug for good.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm a cc user only. Can't stand EC. Sure there are options on EC that I'd like in CC but trying to insert features from one to another seems to me like asking for problems. Besides this is UO. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Wait a minnit ....

EC folks are telling us CC users to use that client when - if I am not mistaken - there are CC options in that client. If the EC can use CC stuff why can't CC use EC stuff?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait a minnit ....

EC folks are telling us CC users to use that client when - if I am not mistaken - there are CC options in that client. If the EC can use CC stuff why can't CC use EC stuff?
It can... but someone (or multiple someones) would have to put in the work to make it happen.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Oddly enough, I play EC exclusively and have that "feature" turned off because it is very annoying.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is highly unlikely that the EC will ever receive the CC's mobs. They would look like steaming pile of chocolate pankakes at the EC's increased size. Animation doesn't upscale well.

It can... but someone (or multiple someones) would have to put in the work to make it happen.
No, the EC is a COMPLETELY separate engine than the CC. The CC doesn't use lua, nor is it ever likely receive such a retrofit. Could the devs replicate Pinco's mobile bars in the CC? Maybe...eventually... But don't hold your breath.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is highly unlikely that the EC will ever receive the CC's mobs. They would look like steaming pile of chocolate pankakes at the EC's increased size. Animation doesn't upscale well.

No, the EC is a COMPLETELY separate engine than the CC. The CC doesn't use lua, nor is it ever likely receive such a retrofit. Could the devs replicate Pinco's mobile bars in the CC? Maybe...eventually... But don't hold your breath.
What I meant was that the same (or similar) systems could potentially be implemented from scratch, not that you could plug one into the other. Of course just because it's probably possible doesn't mean its practical.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC users gotta accept the CC is the popular client and they only hurt UO by ignoring this blatant fact.
Odd, given over 2 years ago the DEVS (Mesanna) clearly stated that it was 50/50 usage CC/EC with the swing heading towards the EC. I run a shop and pretty much 80-85% of the new/returning players buying off my vendors say they are running the EC. Most of these customers don't read stratics or just use it for info as they do UO Guide etc. Certainly most say they never post so any poll here is really just the old die hards.

I seriously believe that the EC is probably in front on usage now given the feedback I hear in game.

I just find it really hard to see how anyone can 'justify' any comments to say the CC is more popular especially when they claim it is a "blatant fact" lol. Show me where you get your 'facts' from given they are at odds with what the devs said yrs ago.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Does whom ever says it more and louder win?

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well truth of the matter is like you said @Miss Echo most the people on Stratics have been here since the dawn... and many of us keep coming here but a BUNCH of the newer younger players don't post or read Stratics. They go elsewhere including getting help in-game.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Odd, given over 2 years ago the DEVS (Mesanna) clearly stated that it was 50/50 usage CC/EC with the swing heading towards the EC. I run a shop and pretty much 80-85% of the new/returning players buying off my vendors say they are running the EC. Most of these customers don't read stratics or just use it for info as they do UO Guide etc. Certainly most say they never post so any poll here is really just the old die hards.

I seriously believe that the EC is probably in front on usage now given the feedback I hear in game.

I just find it really hard to see how anyone can 'justify' any comments to say the CC is more popular especially when they claim it is a "blatant fact" lol. Show me where you get your 'facts' from given they are at odds with what the devs said yrs ago.
Blatant fact. Deal with it.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Blatant fact. Deal with it.
LOL sorry you can say that as much as you want but unless you can put up an official source it is just hot air and supposition on your part. Frankly I don't give a rats what client anyone plays, I have played ALL clients and prefer the EC, Deal with It. Most people who say they hate the EC would be lucky to of played it for more than a day, or tried it for a few hrs every so often before scurrying back to the CC. That is fine, I don't care, just quit coming to the boards making claims you cannot substantiate is my only point.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@MissEcho there's an option when you right click on your mobile arrow to turn off the distance sort so they don't jump around.
I already have distance sort turned off, however if you are doing a spawn etc where there are a lot of mobiles and a player runs in and out of your screen, while the mobiles are in and out as well it is much easier in the cc to just grab their (the persons) bar than try and shift it out of the mobile bar in the EC. I could say it is unfair that it is so much easier to grab bars in the CC. However if the OP thinks it is so much better or 'unfair' I guess they can always use the flipping EC like anyone can stead of screaming unfair.

I guess i am just fed up with cc users screaming 'unfair' all the time when all players have the same options to use either client. If you wan't something put in your client just ask for it, but don't claim it is unfair when it is by choice that you don't want to use the EC. There is stuff I would like in the EC that is only in the CC but I don't continually scream 'unfair' because I choose to play the EC. Just ask for something to be considered but just quit continuously claiming it is unfair. So over it.

It has been explained by the devs on more occassions I can count that sometimes it is just not worth the dev time and resources trying to work stuff into the old client and it's spaghetti code. That is what is unfair, asking them to continually work on it and strip resources out of bug fixes, new content, new expansions etc just to do something you can ALREADY DO if you wish to use the appropriate client for that functionality.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
LOL sorry you can say that as much as you want but unless you can put up an official source it is just hot air and supposition on your part. Frankly I don't give a rats what client anyone plays, I have played ALL clients and prefer the EC, Deal with It. Most people who say they hate the EC would be lucky to of played it for more than a day, or tried it for a few hrs every so often before scurrying back to the CC. That is fine, I don't care, just quit coming to the boards making claims you cannot substantiate is my only point.
You don't own me! I do what I want!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC is already using the CC world tiles. So the CC mobs should fit in without problems.
I'm not exactly sure, what you mean with "increased size". Zoom can be changed and most people I know have set it to the default zoom, where no up- and downscaling happens, so 1 pixel of the bitmap is exactly 1 pixel on the screen.
Because let's be honest and agree that the scaling algorithm of the EC is crap, since it looks either blurry or jagged (or both :p) when scaled in any direction. Or maybe the algorithm wouldn't be that bad and is just not working well with row-res & non-mip-mapped bitmaps. No idea...
Maybe it would be a good idea to add an option to the EC with which we could turn off scaling as a whole (which of course would effectively disable zooming as well). I'd defintely appreaciate such a thing.

Could the devs replicate Pinco's mobile bars in the CC? Maybe...eventually... But don't hold your breath.
It's software. Everything can be done. It is just a matter of time, money and manpower. ;)
So the real question is: Is it feasible?
By looking at the BS dev team size, the answer is pretty easy: No.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
EC is already using the CC world tiles. So the CC mobs should fit in without problems.
I'm not exactly sure, what you mean with "increased size". Zoom can be changed and most people I know have set it to the default zoom, where no up- and downscaling happens, so 1 pixel of the bitmap is exactly 1 pixel on the screen.
Because let's be honest and agree that the scaling algorithm of the EC is crap, since it looks either blurry or jagged (or both :p) when scaled in any direction. Or maybe the algorithm wouldn't be that bad and is just not working well with row-res & non-mip-mapped bitmaps. No idea...
Maybe it would be a good idea to add an option to the EC with which we could turn off scaling as a whole (which of course would effectively disable zooming as well). I'd defintely appreaciate such a thing.

It's software. Everything can be done. It is just a matter of time, money and manpower. ;)
So the real question is: Is it feasible?
By looking at the BS dev team size, the answer is pretty easy: No.
What is meant is that mobs and the actual player are increased in size in the EC... people are taller, mobs are larger.... so the base mobs from the CC would be enlarged in the EC making them blurred and hideous.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is meant is that mobs and the actual player are increased in size in the EC... people are taller, mobs are larger.... so the base mobs from the CC would be enlarged in the EC making them blurred and hideous.
Ooookay... Seriously? I never ever noticed that.
But the EC uses unaltered world tiles of the CC, doesn't it? If yes, why would I want to upscale the CC mobs then? Something doesn't add up here...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, every art asset from the CC is atleast 1.5x larger in the EC, hence the blur and pixelation of said assets and why people whine.

Animations would be blurry as hell and errant pixels would be glaringly obvious.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, every art asset from the CC is atleast 1.5x larger in the EC, hence the blur and pixelation of said assets and why people whine.

Animations would be blurry as hell and errant pixels would be glaringly obvious.
Exactly that is what makes it look muddy and yucky and why everyone keeps whining about wanting the High Rez update we aren't getting.

We don't "pull" Bars in the EC... They are provided for us...

When we want a particular bar we "pull" it just like you do in the CC.

As for what you want if you want the functionality of the EC then use it.... if you don't want that.... then don't. The DEVs have said again and again that they are NOT going to do improvements like that on the CC.
You don't have to pull anything it is on your mobile list, if they aren't going to bring this feature to CC i guess they will have to take it away from EC to make it fair.

Actually it is NOT an advantage, if you play EC yes the 'mobiles' bar pops the bars into your mobile list, what it also does it shuffles them around continuously as stuff moves closer or further away from you, if you click it and drag it off (which generally means putting your cursor onto the small cross to 'move' it off the mobiles list) it will stop on your sreen and not jitterbug around. No way I would be using the 'mobiles' bar as a targetting option, I drag it off just as you have to do in cc. It is actually 'harder' to drag off due to having to get it OUT of the mobiles list than just clicking on a player and dragging their bar off and positioning it where you want it. But as for the 'unfair' business, well all I can say is everyone in this game has the ability to use and play whatever client they wish. If you choose not to use the EC all good, that is YOUR choice. Nothing 'unfair' about it. I want to be able to 'follow' people by alt left clicking on them like in the cc, can't do it in the EC, is that unfair???

Nope, you know why? I CHOOSE to play the EC, MY CHOICE so I don't get that ability.

So tired of all this 'unfair' crap, everyone can play the client they want and take what each client can and can't do along with the type of graphics each client offers up. Get over it ppl.
Yes it is an advantage anyone saying it isn't is lying. Someone already told you that you can make it so it doesn't shuffle around. So you don't drag off anything like i have to do in CC

greenwolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it is an advantage anyone saying it isn't is lying. Someone already told you that you can make it so it doesn't shuffle around. So you don't drag off anything like i have to do in CC
Actually it's really not because as stated before in this thread you still have to drag off your bar from the mobiles list for the bar to STAY. Otherwise when /if the mob or you goes off screen the bars IN the mobile list disappears. Which defeats the purpose of just relying on the mobiles list. So in either client I'm still required to pull bars (with ctrl shift) so that my bar stays up whether I'm on screen or not.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You don't have to pull anything it is on your mobile list, if they aren't going to bring this feature to CC i guess they will have to take it away from EC to make it fair.
When they start doing crap like that... I'm out the door. The reason I use the EC is because of it's convenience.... when it starts to be a crapfest like the CC I'll be done playing.

Actually it's really not because as stated before in this thread you still have to drag off your bar from the mobiles list for the bar to STAY. Otherwise when /if the mob or you goes off screen the bars IN the mobile list disappears. Which defeats the purpose of just relying on the mobiles list. So in either client I'm still required to pull bars (with ctrl shift) so that my bar stays up whether I'm on screen or not.
Why would I care if the bar goes away when I am off screen, I need the bar when i am on their screen, don't you get it?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really hope you don't always use this type of reasoning because if so you are in for a world of dissapointment.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good, we need players who can accept balance and fair play.
Listen you all chose to stay behind the times and use the CC don't go pushing your crap on the EC users... why do you think we left that client behind?!?!

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Iam suprised that no one of those EC Users complain to get more Features of this superior CC.

Oh well.. Maybe because they are happy

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The whole point of the EC is, that they don't have to work on almost 20 year old legacy code. If you're no software developer you might not understand why, but this can raise so many issues, that in the end you're burning more time, than the whole effort might be worth. With UO's current dev team size it is perfectly understandable, why they're afraid to touch that code base.

Bottom line: don't expect any new features for the CC...

I get what your saying... i really do... However what ive seen free shards do while working with the same code .. well lets just say they are better. :) What ive seen "illegals" do with their fancy programs... well lets just say they are better. overall im pretty amazed what people can do with that old legacy code...

I would go so far to say that its not that CC cant be made better... its that our current staff cant make it better.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And to the OP.... There are ways to get CC to pull bars for you like EC does... there are ways...

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And to the OP.... There are ways to get CC to pull bars for you like EC does... there are ways...
haha, no there isn't.

I have had an account and played on CC since 98. People saying that I should not have the same abilities as people using the EC is not an argument. EC is the biggest cheat in game. I could do so much if I had the functionality of EC users. I will never use it as I do not like the look what-so-ever.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get what your saying... i really do... However what ive seen free shards do while working with the same code .. well lets just say they are better. :) What ive seen "illegals" do with their fancy programs... well lets just say they are better. overall im pretty amazed what people can do with that old legacy code...

I would go so far to say that its not that CC cant be made better... its that our current staff cant make it better.
I wouldn't say, they're better.
I have no idea, how many people work for such freeshards or on such "illegals", but the BS dev team is how big? 5 People? With just 1 or 2 devs?
Do those freesharders also have to work on new expansions and major publishes? And do they also have to work with two different clients? (Which i.e effectively doubles testing effort).
Besides, BS has a business to run. With a paying customer base, things also look a bit different than just serving players who play for free.

I don't wanna give the freesharders a bad name, they surely accomplished a lot. But BS is definitely on par with them, if you recall, of how much they've got on their plate and manage to accomplish. (Some might disagree, but people knowing the software business also know, that things take their time. Usually more than a non-insider can imagine).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Free shards don't really worry about cheaters, hackers or bots either.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't say, they're better.
I have no idea, how many people work for such freeshards or on such "illegals", but the BS dev team is how big? 5 People? With just 1 or 2 devs?
Do those freesharders also have to work on new expansions and major publishes? And do they also have to work with two different clients? (Which i.e effectively doubles testing effort).
Besides, BS has a business to run. With a paying customer base, things also look a bit different than just serving players who play for free.

I don't wanna give the freesharders a bad name, they surely accomplished a lot. But BS is definitely on par with them, if you recall, of how much they've got on their plate and manage to accomplish. (Some might disagree, but people knowing the software business also know, that things take their time. Usually more than a non-insider can imagine).

absolutely get where you are coming from and i agree.

However my point was that it is possible. SO when the UO staff or anyone here says that its not possible i laugh. It is absolutely possible I just dont think its an option for our current staff.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However my point was that it is possible.
I wholeheartly agree.
With software almost everything is possible. It just boils down to three basic things:
  • Time
  • Money
  • Manpower
SO when the UO staff or anyone here says that its not possible i laugh.
In software business "not possible" is commonly used for not feasible/takes too much time/waste of resources/niche-feature only a minor customer base would use/etc...
I can't recall ever have used or heard using it for "not possible from a technical point of view".
I'm pretty sure, if BS uses it, they also mean the former instead of the latter.

It is absolutely possible I just dont think its an option for our current staff.
Sad, but true...

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I assume the same logic applies to UOA? ;)

*ducks*

-P.E.