• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Luck Revamp?

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might be a good discussion for future publish's. It is a very outdated system and could use some clarification and some love :) Pvm is something I think about everyone likes to do whether your killing for arties or armor it's a necessity for everyone in the game
With the one button suit swap there is no reason to really have luck on your main suit (Kill monster swap suit on when he is redlined get luck benefit)
So let's allow luck to be added to suits not counting towards the intensity cap whether it's a reward or a tool such as the forged metal tools to allow us to add max luck to pieces of armor. Could even be a good revenue like the forged metal tools =+190 luck forged tool or something like that. I am sure some people have some great ideas so let's hear them
@Kyronix @Bleak

I love the @ sign and the devs prob hate it logging in and seeing @ lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might be a good discussion for future publish's. It is a very outdated system and could use some clarification and some love :) Pvm is something I think about everyone likes to do whether your killing for arties or armor it's a necessity for everyone in the game
With the one button suit swap there is no reason to really have luck on your main suit (Kill monster swap suit on when he is redlined get luck benefit)
So let's allow luck to be added to suits not counting towards the intensity cap whether it's a reward or a tool such as the forged metal tools to allow us to add max luck to pieces of armor. Could even be a good revenue like the forged metal tools =+190 luck forged tool or something like that. I am sure some people have some great ideas so let's hear them
@Kyronix @Bleak

I love the @ sign and the devs prob hate it logging in and seeing @ lol
Ignoring that this is just about wanting EC function in the CC...

I just think they should change how it works (so that you get feedback when it takes effect), or get rid of it. I don't care about suit swapping.

I would say I don't like the idea of allowing luck as a free stat. It just makes luck pointless, as there would be no reason to not have max luck on a suit (other than potential cost) thus defeating the purpose of the stat.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree it needs to be... tweaked (general overhaul isn't a bad idea). As it stands with max luck many don't notice much of a difference in quality loot. With max of anything the results should at least be unquestionably effected.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to see luck have a fixed bonus to loot property weight (within some reasonable caps based on the mob being killed). No more RNG on maybe luck helps maybe it doesn't, and if it helps you may or may not be able to tell the difference.

For example:
A mongbat might have a loot weight range of 100-200 with a cap of 250.
Virtuebane might have a loot weight range of 400-900 with a cap of 1500.

Say every point of luck adds .25 weight to the range up to the cap.

3600 luck = 900 fixed bonus.

Killing a mongbat would have all the loot generated at 250 because that is the cap.
Killing Virtuebane would have a range of 1300-1500 loot.

Certainly I don't claim to know the actual weight ranges for loot so the point values would be subject to adjustments, but you get the general idea.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree it needs to be... tweaked (general overhaul isn't a bad idea). As it stands with max luck many don't notice much of a difference in quality loot. With max of anything the results should at least be unquestionably effected.
I'm one of the many you speak of. Every so often I do notice an increase of items on a corpse but it's loot equal to that of low level monsters I used to use in skill training.

Luck is fully broken and only a handful of hand picked places drop high end loot. I've killed hundreds of mobs that were prime farming spots years ago in a max luck suit with no loot worth keeping.

I gladly sign your petition for a luck revamp.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't get an answer from dev team as to any effect luck has on fishing. [Fishing] - The Lucky Fisherman? I think fishing would be a great example of a place where luck should have an effect. Some fishermen swear that it does. I have started testing fishing with and without a luck suit to try and establish a comparison. I want a larger sample before I post anything but thus far I am catching more Rare fish without luck....

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't get an answer from dev team as to any effect luck has on fishing. [Fishing] - The Lucky Fisherman? I think fishing would be a great example of a place where luck should have an effect. Some fishermen swear that it does. I have started testing fishing with and without a luck suit to try and establish a comparison. I want a larger sample before I post anything but thus far I am catching more Rare fish without luck....
Luck should absolutely effect rare fish catch odds if it doesn't already.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It doesn't appear luck has much influence on anything really. Just how much falls on the corpse.

The problem is the devs have said they control the legendary drops according to where they want people to play.

And most of those aren't worth using.

If it has no influence on drops or rate of drops its pretty much worthless.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there is bait and bait suit to catch more rare fish. luck on suit has no effect. please dont give the devs any ideas of needing luck also.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see luck go away as it is an unnecessary system that adds complexity to the game with little "fun" in return.
I think I probably agree with this. It would be great if they just overhauled the system to make it seem like it's a worthwhile part of playing that would be good too, but that would probably take a lot of time and effort.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there is bait and bait suit to catch more rare fish. luck on suit has no effect. please dont give the devs any ideas of needing luck also.
Well, you wouldn't need it. It would just make it easier than it is right now, on top of those other bonuses, which I for one wouldn't be against.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You guys make a big mistake.
You all shouldn't use in-game luck.
You have to use the RL luck! Then evenything gets better. Trust me!

See? No revamp needed!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Luck is a crutch for development and an otherwise pointless stat for players to worry about. Luck should be removed and loot should decrease the number of items with a slight overall boost to quality. When 90% of items remain on a corpse, the loot system is obviously flawed. Prime example is an EM mob having 125+ items on the corpse and they're almost all crap.

The fisherman's suit gives you a 50% bonus to bait. However, when you realize that bait only gives you a 1-3% (instead of a less than 1%) chance at catching special fish, you'll soon realize that a 1.5-4.5% increase (out of 100) is only marginally better. Most people burn through bait without catching what they're after. Bait is a bad joke implemented by a fairly inept dev, Mark Steelman I believe.

Last edited:

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hear you Dot. In addition to the question of luck factoring into the chance to catch rare fish I was curious if it had any impact on the size of said rare fish. Thus far in my testing the answer appears to be a HUGE no.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hear you Dot. In addition to the question of luck factoring into the chance to catch rare fish I was curious if it had any impact on the size of said rare fish. Thus far in my testing the answer appears to be a HUGE no.
Rare Fish hunting with the suit, with the bait, with as much luck as you can is still bogus and crap.... 3k in bait spent to get a Zombie fish... got one on the 3rd cast and never once caught another it disgusted me to the point that it took most of my joy of fishing away.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dunno. I like that the Legendary fish are VERY hard to catch. Makes the fishing contests a lot more interesting and you def have to put in the time. I find that when it comes to UO fishing people either love it or hate it, not a lot of middle ground. I'll just pencil you in for the hate it group. lol

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I dunno. I like that the Legendary fish are VERY hard to catch. Makes the fishing contests a lot more interesting and you def have to put in the time. I find that when it comes to UO fishing people either love it or hate it, not a lot of middle ground. I'll just pencil you in for the hate it group. lol
What is the point of working your fingers to the bone gaining to 120 skill, working hard to get the suit and all the bait.... if you still CAN'T catch the fish?!?! and still wind up with a deck and dock full of boots, shoes and sandals? There isn't one... there is "rare" and then there is stupid rare.... most of it is stupid rare and that takes all the "fun" out of it for me..... and the closer I"m getting to having carpal tunnel and the older I am and the more my arthritis acts up the less fun I have clicking the bait, clicking the pole, and clicking the water and rinse and repeat 3k times to NOT catch the fish I'm after. Thats over 9k in clicks.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come on Mal...You, like me are an EC user. Make a macro for god's sake. I bait, cast, and catch dozens of times with 1 key stroke. I love ya but you're not trying very hard here.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Malag actually loves fishing. Which scares me deeply.

I pretty much only do it to get the magical fish. I can't stand the fishing quests or lobster fishing. /wrists

Edit: Elder fishermen and above should never pull regular footware...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Malag actually loves fishing. Which scares me deeply.

I pretty much only do it to get the magical fish. I can't stand the fishing quests or lobster fishing. /wrists
I do love fishing which I find funny because IRL I HATE fishing.... love fish... hate fishing.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One HUGE problem with getting rid of luck is all the players that made maxed out luck suits using the Forged Metal Tool. Do you all plan to ask EA/UO to refund us our real money that we spent making these or do you really think the player base should just bend over and take it for the few that think it should just be removed.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Luck is a crutch for development and an otherwise pointless stat for players to worry about. Luck should be removed and loot should decrease the number of items with a slight overall boost to quality. When 90% of items remain on a corpse, the loot system is obviously flawed. Prime example is an EM mob having 125+ items on the corpse and they're almost all crap.

The fisherman's suit gives you a 50% bonus to bait. However, when you realize that bait only gives you a 1-3% (instead of a less than 1%) chance at catching special fish, you'll soon realize that a 1.5-4.5% increase (out of 100) is only marginally better. Most people burn through bait without catching what they're after. Bait is a bad joke implemented by a fairly inept dev, Mark Steelman I believe.
That may be so, but have never bothered going out for a legendary with less than 1000 bait and have always caught at least one legendaries in a session and usually two or three. Now rares I have gone out with only 100-200 baits and always get at minimum one, usually more.

Am all for bait getting a boost, but it does work.

However, if they make luck count towards fishing up rares/legendaries then sure hope they replace the bait rewards from fishmonger quests with something else or I certainly won't bother doing them anymore.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Luck is basically a result of EA copying Diablo 2's itemization system with AoS. Luck in UO = +Magic Find % in Diablo 2.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
at one time long ago, the devs realized luck was not working well because of the script looting/farming. Now for me, the loot is so good, luck is really not necessary to get great pieces, but some want more and more. now we have one of the clients that can switch suits fast for luck while the other client users are left feeling this is unfair. I use both clients but this is just another issue for cc users and not good for the game. shouldn't people have to really use the luck suits?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there any way that luck can just be tossed...and let us put useful things on our armor...