• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Archer/Tamer Template??

Aftershock

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats the best template for this or is there even a template? Let me know. Thanks.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Check out the warrior board. They have some great info on templte builds!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Played an archer tamer most of my time in UO. Last couple of years I gave it up for my Mage/SW/Tamer. Archer tamer is still around just not as effective in PvM as the mage/sw/tamer.

His temp:

Chiv - 64
Healing - 85
Vet - 110
Archery - 120
Tactics - 94
Taming - 111
Anatomy - 100
Lore - 115

Total of 810 skill points through items. However, these are mostly older items and you can easily get to 900 skill points these days with Legend Artifact drops, just gotta find the right ones. If I was updating him I would put the additional points on Anat/Heal/Tactics. This temp was effective for spawns, even during raids with a GD. Heavy comp bow for dismount and switch to 40 ssi comp bow for rapid fire once they were on foot.

First thing some folks are gonna holler about is "Why not 120 taming and Lore??"... because I do not tame critters on this character. I tame them on the other tamer :) .. all this temp needs is resurrecting a dead pet and control on the GD and the 110/115 does that.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats the best template for this or is there even a template? Let me know. Thanks.
Tame 110
Lore 110
Vet- 100
Arch- 100 + 20 hunters head dress
Tact -120
Anat- 100
Chiv- 80

Most simple/effective way I can think. Drop tactics to 100 if you don't have don't wanna use the head dress.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Tame 110
Lore 110
Vet- 100
Arch- 100 + 20 hunters head dress
Tact -120
Anat- 100
Chiv- 80

Most simple/effective way I can think. Drop tactics to 100 if you don't have don't wanna use the head dress.
Tried this one early on. Found it was ineffective in a lot of instances. Once mana was gone (from leeching spells, too many critters around at once etc) that only left pots to heal with. I personally had to find a way to add in healing to be good to go in a lot more situations.

Aftershock

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Played an archer tamer most of my time in UO. Last couple of years I gave it up for my Mage/SW/Tamer. Archer tamer is still around just not as effective in PvM as the mage/sw/tamer.

His temp:

Chiv - 64
Healing - 85
Vet - 110
Archery - 120
Tactics - 94
Taming - 111
Anatomy - 100
Lore - 115

Total of 810 skill points through items. However, these are mostly older items and you can easily get to 900 skill points these days with Legend Artifact drops, just gotta find the right ones. If I was updating him I would put the additional points on Anat/Heal/Tactics. This temp was effective for spawns, even during raids with a GD. Heavy comp bow for dismount and switch to 40 ssi comp bow for rapid fire once they were on foot.

First thing some folks are gonna holler about is "Why not 120 taming and Lore??"... because I do not tame critters on this character. I tame them on the other tamer :) .. all this temp needs is resurrecting a dead pet and control on the GD and the 110/115 does that.
Whats the sw?

Aftershock

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

His temp:

Chiv - 64
Healing - 85
Vet - 110
Archery - 120
Tactics - 94
Taming - 111
Anatomy - 100
Lore - 115

Whats template of your Mage/SW/Tamer then? Also stats as ell. With all this new stuff, trying to get a grasp on it...LOL. I miss the old UO!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Thats one skill I have no knowledge of. Is it difficult t learn?
It's a pain to train honestly but VERY worth it. No items with +sw on them so it is all natural only to 120. Word Of Death can hit for a ton on critters when they are low death. I have seen 700+ a lot of times but I run 92+ sdi. Along with WoD Spellweaving also has gift of renewal which gives your pet added health regen as well.. Then there is Gift of Life which lets allows you to insta rez on death. Then area effect spell called Essence of Wind. Not as kick butt as wither but is effective at spawns.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My mage/sw/tamer:

120 Eval - 95 real
120 Mage - 100 real
110 Meditation - 100 real
120 Spellweaving - all real
110 Taming - 95 real
110 Lore - 110 real

810 points total

116 Str
19 Dex
140 Int

Kind of an expensive build on the suit with plenty of mr. Crystalline Ring, Good three mod Scrappers, Chaos Shield, Wizards Glasses, Conj Garb (or Hawkinds Robe now so am tweaking the suit some as I type), Kelp Legs, Protector of Battle Mage chest, Lt. Guard Sash etc....

... yeah, that char is my arti tramp lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried this one early on. Found it was ineffective in a lot of instances. Once mana was gone (from leeching spells, too many critters around at once etc) that only left pots to heal with. I personally had to find a way to add in healing to be good to go in a lot more situations.
Ideally you should be positioning yourself so that you can always aggo monsters on your dragon. If you get in a situation where you are getting targeted by a lot of stuff, run off, pet ball, and reposition. Really it should operate just like any other tamer template, the main idea of which is the dragon takes the damage rather than you.

The problem I have with your template is it's just spread too thin without jewels. Your EEO is going to be sub par, you are missing out on a good chunk of damage with such low tactics, and heals at 65 healing aren't going to be that great.

*shrug*

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ideally you should be positioning yourself so that you can always aggo monsters on your dragon. If you get in a situation where you are getting targeted by a lot of stuff, run off, pet ball, and reposition
Fully agree with you there... but sadly when level pops at a Fel spawn you can find yourself in a very bad place with no way to run :) ... and with no invis available on the temp... Sure, like every template out there you have to learn how to play that exact one to the best of it's ability as well as realize that there are certain trade offs here and there when it comes to certain aspects.

The main problem for the Archer Tamer imho is no ranged heal at all. With the critters they have put out over the years ranged heal is dang near mandatory at times.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
archery 100 (+20 with HH)
tactics 110 (+10 with tally)
taming 115
animal lore 115
vet 100
chiv 70
med 110

usually ill scale the taming back and add the extra points to chiv.
so go 90 in chiv and then have 10 on each ring and bracelet in taming to get me back up to 115.

with that you have the med so you get back mana at a good rate even if you dont have a leech weapon or are killing a critter that isnt mana leechable.

i go with the 100 vet so the vets are good and you can res up your pet with little to know misses.
the 115 in taming and lore lets you control pretty much any pet in game with no problems.
taming might get a little touch and go with a GD but you can always buy one or use a different tamer to tame and then hand them off to the archer/tamer.

i use to use that same template in factions for years and years and years (and years)
beetle/mare combo for the win.
pack of 5 trained ozzies is always a crowd please'r too.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
invis pots are also nice.
balanced bows with a pack full'o pots helps.
being in a guild with mages is sweet cause they can invis you and your pets for the nice heavy bow ambush.

can anyone say Assassin Honed Heavy Bow Balance and max 60 SSI, HLD and overcap HCI?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Tame real
120 Lore Real
120 Fishing
120 Arch
120 tactics
80 vet
40 Chiv

720 base 780 with jewels cheap and effective and deals a good amount of damage unless you are a mana junky.
I jewel up vet and chiv, template works great in PvM and in particular pirate hunting and sea type activities 125 str, 125 dex and the elfs natural mana boost with only 10 in that slot. I just wear the knight turn in armor and use a imbued repond or reptile slayer bow with HLD, DI, and hit energy area and whatever SSI I can pound and enhance into it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the problem with this build is your doing low damage compared to an archer with max combat skill points towards mana reduction.

you cant have just 120 archery, youd be using way too much mana for ais. unless its a mainly a tamer with over 2second swing. template below is mostly archer with pet as bonus.

i would go with at minimum 200 combat skill points. that will will make your double ais still cost 24mana (18is with max mana reduction) 80 bushido might be useful so you can at least honor target, tho not as effective as 120 of course you will make up damage lost from the low tact and anat when perfection is reached if you can get honor in.

i have a setup for my current archer that could incorporate taming.
150hp
216stam
145mana
with 19 mr, damage eater and some hpr. overcapped mana leech bows 55ssi cameo suit with some casting.
bows are 30di, 40ssi, 48ml, 34st leech, balanced (slayer on cameo, or have slayer on bow and switch in and out when you pot)

template:
115archery (5from quiver)
80bushisdo
70healing
110tame
90lore (20 on jewel)
65chiv (15 on jewel)
90 tactics
100 anat

Another setup, which is more tamer than archer is just to use bow for base hit with little special moves used. bows would be setup with hld hla hitspell for a little extra damage and allowing your pet to do more damage while getting hit less.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see this combo being useful in pvp, but I think there are better pvm skills to add to taming than archery.

110 taming (5 from tali)
110 lore (5 from tali)
120 music
120 discord
120 spellweaving
100 magery (15 from spellbook)
65 med

Personally I think your damage output from the pet against discorded mobs plus WOD probably exceeds archery.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i find that i dont use many specials with my archer tamer.
once the pet is in and on the critter im killing i might put on EOO and a couple con/weapons but other then that im just plinking away over the pet while vetting the pet.
can definitely out damage my pure tamers with the archery output.
specially if your using a slayer bow.

now if your running 2 comps and comp one has a disco tamer on it and comp 2 has a archer tamer on it.......

if your ever wanting to see something neat get a big critter that has a mess of HP but no area damage.
put a greater on it and then bring in another tamer with a pack of trained ozzies....... we call that a pack of chainsaws.
used that during that General Invasion couple years back.
they didnt have any area effect nor did they switch targets once on a greater and they had a MESS of HP.

id grind up 2 or 3 in the time most people would do 1.

plus the sound of the pack of ozzies is fun.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Slight hijack here but I just have to vent some....

They seem to have killed the GD's damage while I was gone. I ran a Baracoon this morning and it took literally a dang hour and a half for the GD to chew him to where I could use WoD on him.. Think I will stable the tamer and join the rest of Sampires Online :/