• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

different flavors or Greater Dragons

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
was chatting with some people tonight.
how great would it be if they did a couple tweaks to taming pets?

make White Wyrms the same as Greater Dragons but with cold damage instead of physical.
Greater White Wyrm.

make a Greater Drake that does Fire damage.
make a Greater Wyvern that does Poison damage.
make a Greater Crystal Dragon or Elemental something so we can have Energy Damage in a Greater Form.

thus allowing us to tailor our pet to what we are hunting.

that would be cool.

a nice big green greater wyvern.
a greater drake with orange flames on his side or something.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like the idea but I still think it would be nice to be able to tame and use a Shadow Dragon as well.

There are nice little ice drakes already in-game for T-Maps so it wouldn't be hard to spawn them somewhere that you could tame them. Though then you run into the problem you have with many other wonderful wild creatures..... they would take away the area cold damage it does.... which would pretty much kill its usefulness.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Miss using my WW it was my primary pet for years. If they made a Greater WW I would be all over that and dump the greater dragons in a heart beat.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I truly wish that there were more pets to tame that would be useful. I think Shadow Wyrms should become tamable since Greaters are tougher, I wish they would put Frost Dragons and Drakes into the game other than just treasure chest guardians.

The older pets could use some love to make them usable again. I have Fire Steeds, Nightmares, White Wyrms that I pull out for nostalgia but not much else. Rune Beetles, Bake Kitsunes, Hiryus, Unicorns, Kirins, Cus should all be beefed up and have their abilities adjusted to make them usable and desirable again.

For those that play the EC, I would love to see them adjust the hues like in the CC so you can get the different color Dragons, White Wyrms and Night Mares.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hiryus are one of the pets I actually still use on a regular basis for farming things like arrows, daemons, and a few other things in the mid range levels. They tear through them and don't have the big foot print that a GD has, which gets very much in the way trying to loot stacked up corpses. They could use a beefing up though maybe throw a couple hundred hp on them and change the dismount to a bleed attack or a parylyze.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I totally agree with you but am thinking it is ironic that people kept complaining about big ol' dragons getting in the way and they made those turtles that now people are saying look silly and here we are back to asking for even more dragons. But, yea, colored dragons.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will NEVER own one of those Turdle things. Looks more like a snail than a Turtle. The more I think about this I would much rather see the old pets brought up to speed and made useful again. WW used to be the top of the line pet I can't see where making a greater version of it equal to a GD would be that hard or unbalancing, just work the attack and resist on the WW side rather than the dragon. Really all pets across the board need beefed up, so more than GDs are useful.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I totally agree with you but am thinking it is ironic that people kept complaining about big ol' dragons getting in the way and they made those turtles that now people are saying look silly and here we are back to asking for even more dragons. But, yea, colored dragons.
I would use a turtle if I could get one that didn't suck... the chances or likelyhood of getting a turtle that is anywhere NEAR what I can get for a GD is slim to none.

When it first started I got 3 or 4 eggs incubated them and hatched them.... most of the turtles were the equivalent of a 2.1 or less GD... One was a 3.3.... which still I wouldn't use even on a bad day. Most my tamers have a dragon that is at LEAST a 3.8 or higher. Now I don't have a 4.5.... but if I did you can dang sure bet that I would be using that over any stinking turtle. The chance of actually getting and hatching an equivalent turtle are so slim it's a joke and the worst part is you won't find out for 3 or more days.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked for a way to make my existing WW into something comparable to the GD's.
A potion, food, something!
If the Dev did add in different dragon types I would hope they would make the spawning like the original nightmare was... you had to find it!
Also 1 per spawn not a ton...
Have you been in Destard of late??
The place is wall to wall GD's.
If it was me.. I'd reduce the spawn number and make a demand for tamers..
Oh, and while they are at it give me back my anchient wyvern...... I miss him eating reds like candy....

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe talking about that brief time when ancient wyrms were bugged and could tamed. Don't know if there are any still hiding in some dark corner of someones stable ............

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Destard is crazy I started taming them in wind lead the daemons and drakes down one tunnel and lead tame the GDs down the other tunnel or into the GZ and get the crappy ones guard whacked.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Maybe talking about that brief time when ancient wyrms were bugged and could tamed. Don't know if there are any still hiding in some dark corner of someones stable ............
there is one, not sure if the person still plays but they use to let him/her bring it out for special events like Town Fairs and such.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
White Wyrms the same as Greater Dragons but with cold damage instead of physical.
Greater Drake that does Fire damage.
Greater Wyvern that does Poison damage.
The unseen implicative splash of this in PvP would be absurd. Not saying it's a bad idea on a PvM level, because tamers are pretty much stuck to high hp physical damage greater dragons in the vain attempt of maintaining relevance in any worthwhile "high end" content. But just that a scribe mage with a cusidhe who understands how element damage works can destroy people off of a curse. Imagine that same output with a greater dragon using cold damage hitting players with 60 cold resist.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had him on Cats.... and yes for a very short time they were tameable. The patch that stopped that went in but the GM's let us keep what we tamed for a few months... before it was frowned on to own one. He looked like a bigger version of a Grey Dragon.
Nothing like todays look mind you... although he would look great! He was one of my top 4 Dragon pets. (considering I was a tamer on 4 shards 1 each shard)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had one and took him out one day to show to some disbelievers and a bolt of lightning came from nowhere that turned him to dust, followed by some guy in Red Robes saying Sorry but they are no longer allowed. Being a bit angry I said some beyond rude things and another bolt of lightning whacked me. The end.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had one and took him out one day to show to some disbelievers and a bolt of lightning came from nowhere that turned him to dust, followed by some guy in Red Robes saying Sorry but they are no longer allowed. Being a bit angry I said some beyond rude things and another bolt of lightning whacked me. The end.
Never take em out. Never.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something that has always annoyed me are event tamable like dreads and banes really anything that is functional. Seems to me something like that should be available to everyone, rather than just a 1 time thing. Nothing turns new players off more than seeing something cool and trying to figure out how to get it only to find out the only way is to come up with a lot of millions or hundreds of millions because it does not spawn anymore or was a give away in 2003 or whatever year. Why not just replace Nightmares with dreadmares and put banes under those Juka Elites. Yeah yeah I know the "I got mine and screw everyone else crowd won't like this." and the "It will devalue my Dreads won't either." And if we are going to have blessed event spell books on Siege then everyones spell book with properties should be blessed or none at all :)

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I use my Dragon Turtle called Nishtook, he is only a 3.5 but he does pretty well and it beats that huge ugly GD getting in the way all the time. I am still hatching eggs in the hope that one day I will get a better one, but for now Nishy is fine :) But yes, I agree with the OP, some more variety in 'useful' pets would be great, the art is already in game, just need the stats boosted a bit.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am kind of liking the wild tigers. Finally tamed a black one early this morning. Now I need to tame a black one and white one with decent hits and resist. The tigers do actually look good IMO.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would use a turtle if I could get one that didn't suck... the chances or likelyhood of getting a turtle that is anywhere NEAR what I can get for a GD is slim to none.

When it first started I got 3 or 4 eggs incubated them and hatched them.... most of the turtles were the equivalent of a 2.1 or less GD... One was a 3.3.... which still I wouldn't use even on a bad day. Most my tamers have a dragon that is at LEAST a 3.8 or higher. Now I don't have a 4.5.... but if I did you can dang sure bet that I would be using that over any stinking turtle. The chance of actually getting and hatching an equivalent turtle are so slim it's a joke and the worst part is you won't find out for 3 or more days.
I wish there were a place in Eodon that spawned the turtles, so they could be tamed. It would be nice to have a decent shot at getting a really good one.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
turtles should have been the cold based equivalent to a GD. But ya a Grt WW or better just create a quest or a drop for a potion to feed your WW and give it a HP boost. That is all it needs to compete with Grt Drags.

But before we add another freaking huge flying pet....give us the ability to shrink them in UOA to a turtle sized pet. (Could be a side effect of the HP boost potion idea )

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's one of those simple changes that really would have added to the game, but they never seem to understand why they need to do it.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If you guys read the article, you would know the Dev's are already looking into making other tamables useful again.

[Mesanna]: Hi Shaggy

[Shaggy]: any chance of getting legacy tamables? like silver steeds?

[Mesanna]: not silver steed thats on siege only

[Shaggy]: that was a quick no....

[Mesanna]: sorry

[Shaggy]: why? we have nightmares, dark steeds, dreadmares

[Mesanna]: we are talking about redoing pets making the old ones valuable again

[Shaggy]: how are you looking at fixing taming? it once was the best char to play

[Mesanna]: we do not have it finalized but it is something we have talked about and are going to do. When we do we will let you know. But I agree the old nightmares, the old WW's I am sure some of you still have. I know I do, that just sit in the stables. I would love to be able to use them again

[Shaggy]: yeah we just use whatever the newest powerful tamable

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember the debacle that occurred when the team tried to poll the community with color options for pets.... All I can say is its way over due for a pet revamp, powers/color options/ upgrades to weaker non used pets and so forth..

Should be a good project, way to go team UO! I knew you would finally make a good choice.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you guys read the article, you would know the Dev's are already looking into making other tamables useful again.

[Mesanna]: Hi Shaggy

[Shaggy]: any chance of getting legacy tamables? like silver steeds?

[Mesanna]: not silver steed thats on siege only

[Shaggy]: that was a quick no....

[Mesanna]: sorry

[Shaggy]: why? we have nightmares, dark steeds, dreadmares

[Mesanna]: we are talking about redoing pets making the old ones valuable again

[Shaggy]: how are you looking at fixing taming? it once was the best char to play

[Mesanna]: we do not have it finalized but it is something we have talked about and are going to do. When we do we will let you know. But I agree the old nightmares, the old WW's I am sure some of you still have. I know I do, that just sit in the stables. I would love to be able to use them again

[Shaggy]: yeah we just use whatever the newest powerful tamable
Personally, all I want is pets comparable to a greater (that don't take 5 control slots - I'd be fine with 4 so we could use an ethy mount) capable of doing different elemental damage.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I remember the debacle that occurred when the team tried to poll the community with color options for pets.... All I can say is its way over due for a pet revamp, powers/color options/ upgrades to weaker non used pets and so forth..

Should be a good project, way to go team UO! I knew you would finally make a good choice.
Because they used the "dipped in paint" method of coloring. It looked like poop. And honestly I'd love to see colored dragons again... and I agree with what someone said earlier they DAMN well better make them colored in the EC too! I'm tired of not seeing the true colors of my (&(*)&( pets.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, all I want is pets comparable to a greater (that don't take 5 control slots - I'd be fine with 4 so we could use an ethy mount) capable of doing different elemental damage.
Garg is about the only tamer I run a GD since flying = Mounted speed. Otherwise only when I am using my stealth tamer. Seems to me removing Ehtys from taking up a control slot would make the most sense. Never understood why they take a control slot in the first place. Outside of a greater WW, I don't want to see individual critters like a mare or rune beetle pumped up to GD strength but cranked up so they are effective in different pet combinations on the overall higher end things now days. While a mare running GD stats would be neat, it would not be balanced.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want Pack damage pets to be a bit more durable (you can only have a single pet affected by the mastery at a time, making it difficult when the targetted mob switches to a different pet), different elemental damage for all pets would be great as well...
I want to say about 80% of all tame-able mobs in UO are 100% physical damage.
How many mobs in UO are weak to physical? I only know of two, I'm sure there are more, but not many.

One problem with adding so many different elemental damage pets/pet types, is the limited amount of stable slots, especially when using pack damage pets (2-5) different pets... it's not hard to fill the stables up quick.

They should probably release some pets with the colors of like Ore & Leather types. I don't think the colors of wood would be acceptable tbh.

I remember suggesting this at one point, (if there aren't any plans to Greatly increase the amount of stable slots a tamer is allowed to have) There should be some form of "consumable" item that you're able to apply to your pet(s) to allow them to gain Elemental damage types And/Or Slayer bonus damage.

The reason this should be a "consumable" is so that your pet wouldn't be permanently a "Repond Slayer" and always be vulnerable to Undead mob types etc etc. You'd be able to change/remove these depending on which types of mobs you're fighting.
I'd imagine it should be applied similar to how Dragon Barding Deeds work, Better yet, If they were craftable with some sort of recipe, it would be a good addition for crafters as well.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a difference between making old pets useful again (ie- reptalon that was nerfed useless and never fixed) and taking a current pet and making it spawn in different colors.

If you cannot tell the difference, I cannot help you.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I want Pack damage pets to be a bit more durable (you can only have a single pet affected by the mastery at a time, making it difficult when the targetted mob switches to a different pet), different elemental damage for all pets would be great as well...
I want to say about 80% of all tame-able mobs in UO are 100% physical damage.
How many mobs in UO are weak to physical? I only know of two, I'm sure there are more, but not many.

One problem with adding so many different elemental damage pets/pet types, is the limited amount of stable slots, especially when using pack damage pets (2-5) different pets... it's not hard to fill the stables up quick.

They should probably release some pets with the colors of like Ore & Leather types. I don't think the colors of wood would be acceptable tbh.

I remember suggesting this at one point, (if there aren't any plans to Greatly increase the amount of stable slots a tamer is allowed to have) There should be some form of "consumable" item that you're able to apply to your pet(s) to allow them to gain Elemental damage types And/Or Slayer bonus damage.

The reason this should be a "consumable" is so that your pet wouldn't be permanently a "Repond Slayer" and always be vulnerable to Undead mob types etc etc. You'd be able to change/remove these depending on which types of mobs you're fighting.
I'd imagine it should be applied similar to how Dragon Barding Deeds work, Better yet, If they were craftable with some sort of recipe, it would be a good addition for crafters as well.
Your right one of the BIGGEST Hurdles facing tamers now is stable slots. I have one tamer with a a pack of fully trained frienzied ostards... she has almost no room for anything new and I hate to just let them go.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally prefer the term "Great Wyrm" to "Greater White Wyrm". Afterall, if you look at D&D, the "Great Wyrm" is a age/size category for Dragons, with Great Wyrm being the oldest/largest dragon category, at over 2,400 years old. Originally in UO, WWs were basically a more magic adept version of the Dragon. Dragons started with low/weak Magic skills, while White Wyrms not only had higher/stronger magic skills, but were also capable of casting an AoE spell, Mass Curse (although there were flagging issues with that).
I wouldn't mind seeing the WW be revamped into the Great Wyrm, with much stronger casting capabilities (including AoE spells, assuming they ever fix the flagging issues with them), to compensate for their Fire Resist being weaker than a GD's (which Fire Resist is the most important elemental resist).

Reptalons could definitely use a revamp as well. In CC, they look a lot like Bats, so i say they should be given an innate Life Leech ability similar to that which Vampiric Bats (and controlled Undead) have. This would allow them to compete with the self healing of Cu Sidhes, which Reptalons were supposed to be the Human counterpart of.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Skree get a revamp as well. They certainly are NOT worth 4 Control Slots or 95.1+ Taming right now. As it is right now, Skrees are much weaker than the 2 slot Vollems that anyone can control. The only thing unique about the Skree, is that it's the only pet that can cast Mysticism spells, but once it runs out of Mana it's completely useless.

Last edited:

Lord Trollo

Adventurer
I personally prefer the term "Great Wyrm" to "Greater White Wyrm". Afterall, if you look at D&D, the "Great Wyrm" is a age/size category for Dragons, with Great Wyrm being the oldest/largest dragon category, at over 2,400 years old. Originally in UO, WWs were basically a more magic adept version of the Dragon. Dragons started with low/weak Magic skills, while White Wyrms not only had higher/stronger magic skills, but were also capable of casting an AoE spell, Mass Curse (although there were flagging issues with that).
I wouldn't mind seeing the WW be revamped into the Great Wyrm, with much stronger casting capabilities (including AoE spells, assuming they ever fix the flagging issues with them), to compensate for their Fire Resist being weaker than a GD's (which Fire Resist is the most important elemental resist).

Reptalons could definitely use a revamp as well. In CC, they look a lot like Bats, so i say they should be given an innate Life Leech ability similar to that which Vampiric Bats (and controlled Undead) have. This would allow them to compete with the self healing of Cu Sidhes, which Reptalons were supposed to be the Human counterpart of.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Skree get a revamp as well. They certainly are NOT worth 4 Control Slots or 95.1+ Taming right now. As it is right now, Skrees are much weaker than the 2 slot Vollems that anyone can control. The only thing unique about the Skree, is that it's the only pet that can cast Mysticism spells, but once it runs out of Mana it's completely useless.
if we did everything like they did in dnd, we would all still be sitting in our mother's basement or out in the wood's behind your friend jimmy's house with 4 other nerds praying to god that there is more to life than this.

please see the attached example below: