• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A suggestion To UO

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ive seen a lot of art/graphic debate recently. Ive observed one thing that that we might all be able to compromise with.

Ive noticed the people that are liking all the new art forms typically play in the EC.
Ive also noticed the people that are not like all the new art forms typically play CC.

Resolution?

All new art be patched into EC but not CC. Im not sure of how this would works however, I assume it would require for every new item to have two separate graphics. one for EC and one for CC.

Im not sure this is totally doable but it sure would be nice for the "classic" client to stay... well... "classic"

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It could work then the CC players would have to realize that they have to live with he current art work in the CC with no new updates.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It could work then the CC players would have to realize that they have to live with he current art work in the CC with no new updates.
well the idea would be two separate graphics. As in we both get updates but CC graphics have a more classic Feel. And EC graphics try there hardest to be "cutting Edge"

Though i dont know if thats even remotely possible given the current staffs situation.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I like the EC it looks a lot better than the CC and is easier to use. Had the only client been available the CC 2D 0ne then I would never had returned. Its ugly and frustrating to use. However I would use the 3D CC if that was returned.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like the EC it looks a lot better than the CC and is easier to use. Had the only client been available the CC 2D 0ne then I would never had returned. Its ugly and frustrating to use. However I would use the 3D CC if that was returned.
3rd Dawn? That thing was so LAGGY but I did like many of the features.... like being able to do a full rotation of my paperdoll so I can check my look from any angle...

Being able to dance, wave, and all those other fun moves in that client ...... falling down was always fun.... especially on stairs.

Being able to make all bags and chests and such as LARGE or small as you wanted them.... that was awesome.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's even easier than that... Admit the EC was a mistake and stop support for it.
Good idea. new people come to the game, download the :danceb::banana::party::cheerleader: Enhanced Client!!! :danceb::banana::party::cheerleader:, see how bad it looks, how poorly it works, and go on to another game, and we lose another new player because of the EC. New players should be guided to the Classic Client to start so they have a client that looks better and works well and keeps them long enough they may get hooked on the game so they stay. Drop the EC on them later so they have the CC to fall back on instead of leaving the game in disgust due to the EC.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Good idea. new people come to the game, download the :danceb::banana::party::cheerleader: Enhanced Client!!! :danceb::banana::party::cheerleader:, see how bad it looks, how poorly it works, and go on to another game, and we lose another new player because of the EC. New players should be guided to the Classic Client to start so they have a client that looks better and works well and keeps them long enough they may get hooked on the game so they stay. Drop the EC on them later so they have the CC to fall back on instead of leaving the game in disgust due to the EC.
You're joking right?? There is no way the CC looks better than the enhanced client. A lot of the negative comments you see regarding this game on various forums are to do with the CC. Comments like how old it looks and how their handheld is capable of better graphics

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're joking right?? There is no way the CC looks better than the enhanced client. A lot of the negative comments you see regarding this game on various forums are to do with the CC. Comments like how old it looks and how their handheld is capable of better graphics
Install the CC and play both of them, if need be read these Stratics forums and read about which gets bitched about more for problems and appearance, then accept the EC is the poorer client. Sheesh ...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This whole discussion leads to... pancake.

Nothing ain´t gonna happen. Concentrate on things you can influence. And besides: The moment UO changes to true 3D-Ego-Perspective will be the moment I leave. I would love to see a 2D-High-Res-Client in Baldur´s Gate-style. But as I said: Ain´t gonna happen.

End of the Story.

By the way: Why can´t I use Smileys and stuff? My Smiley-and-Stuff-Menu is gone!

Last edited:

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Haha. But the same 20 people like to argue about the same thing weekly. I would advise a new player away from stratics and just use uoguide. Honestly I figured out all but the advanced phases of crafting that way. Read these threads from the perspective of a new player and see the real reason we don't get new players. Not client. Not devs. Not paying to play. It's veteran players griping. Daily. About the same things that are never gonna change. They changed clients way back when to improve game play. Ended up w 2 clients. Why did they stop trying? Ummm... Look at what developed. Constant argument. Sure the devs read this... And realize they will never make anyone totally happy. So what would u do? Stop asking those people what they think. 50-50 60-40 why would u do anything with no reasonable chance to please the vast majority. There is no clear vast majority. So keep posting threads like these and keep holding our game back. We all still pay. Why would they change anything? Oh cuz it's the right thing to do? Please. Go to work tomorrow and do the right thing or the thing that gets you thru the day and paid? Guess what the vast majority does in that situation?

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, I dont understand your post - maybe because I am not a native English Speaker. Could you say that again in 1-2 sentences so that I can understand your point? No kidding, really interested!

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Haha. But the same 20 people like to argue about the same thing weekly. I would advise a new player away from stratics and just use uoguide. Honestly I figured out all but the advanced phases of crafting that way. Read these threads from the perspective of a new player and see the real reason we don't get new players. Not client. Not devs. Not paying to play. It's veteran players griping. Daily. About the same things that are never gonna change. They changed clients way back when to improve game play. Ended up w 2 clients. Why did they stop trying? Ummm... Look at what developed. Constant argument. Sure the devs read this... And realize they will never make anyone totally happy. So what would u do? Stop asking those people what they think. 50-50 60-40 why would u do anything with no reasonable chance to please the vast majority. There is no clear vast majority. So keep posting threads like these and keep holding our game back. We all still pay. Why would they change anything? Oh cuz it's the right thing to do? Please. Go to work tomorrow and do the right thing or the thing that gets you thru the day and paid? Guess what the vast majority does in that situation?

Here here well said

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive seen a lot of art/graphic debate recently. Ive observed one thing that that we might all be able to compromise with.

Ive noticed the people that are liking all the new art forms typically play in the EC.
Ive also noticed the people that are not like all the new art forms typically play CC.

Resolution?

All new art be patched into EC but not CC. Im not sure of how this would works however, I assume it would require for every new item to have two separate graphics. one for EC and one for CC.

Im not sure this is totally doable but it sure would be nice for the "classic" client to stay... well... "classic"
What would people see in the CC? Recolors? Of mobiles I mean.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Resolution?

Ummm no, it's more like

Ive noticed people liking the functionality of EC but hate the art form compared to the CC

Resolution?

Bring back KR and fix it the way it should have been :D

That would be a step in the right direction!

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ummm no, it's more like

Ive noticed people liking the functionality of EC but hate the art form compared to the CC

Resolution?

Bring back KR and fix it the way it should have been :D

That would be a step in the right direction!
I think this is most of it.

I haven't tried the functionality of EC since Pinco took a stab at it.

As far as the graphics, meh. You can't polish a turd.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The fact that an official client requires a 3rd party add on to be functional speaks volumes.
and that's either client :p
Altho the EC users all love the Pinco mods, and the Pinco built EC...the CC can stand alone. TBH since '98 CC hs been my client of choice, and I never had UOA...just ran automap.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which makes me wonder...why can't the official owners of UO code make a map for the CC that works well...why is it !always! lay people who have to do it, and can do it, even tho we are told by the powers that be it's too hard to do?

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which makes me wonder...why can't the official owners of UO code make a map for the CC that works well...why is it !always! lay people who have to do it, and can do it, even tho we are told by the powers that be it's too hard to do?
For them it is. Which should tell you something. :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Assist and UO Automap should have been integrated as part of the official client early on. I don't use them but do have one account with assist but since they changed the craft menu to include make number and make max, I don't use it since that was the main reason I got assist. Was getting a callous on my finger from clicking make last :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't use them but do have one account with assist but since they changed the craft menu to include make number and make max, I don't use it since that was the main reason I got assist.
I use UOA on my crafter Landreu for using his spinning wheel & loom. There are a few other things in his macro list as well. Tanivar uses UOA for mining, logging, loading & firing ship cannons and such. UOA makes my arthritis much less annoying. :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Always seemed to me like they should have guys like Tug and Cheffe on the payroll since they do the things that the Devs say can't be done :)
I use UOA on my crafter Landreu for using his spinning wheel & loom. There are a few other things in his macro list as well. Tanivar uses UOA for mining, logging, loading & firing ship cannons and such. UOA makes my arthritis much less annoying. :)
Mining, spinning wheel, loom, LJ I set my B key as the use object/last target and went out to the barn and found a short but heavy bolt put a couple of nuts on it, came back in started mining a huge niter deposit and set the bolt on the B key. Shovel breaks just double click another and it keeps going :) Spinning wheel is a bit slower as I can only use one wheel at a time that way. Ship cannons I just get between two cannons take the wheel and use the context menues for those two cannons and hit and run. Now if Pirate ships would quit firing after all the crew is dead and the ship is scuttled I would be happy!

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and that's either client :p
Altho the EC users all love the Pinco mods, and the Pinco built EC...the CC can stand alone. TBH since '98 CC hs been my client of choice, and I never had UOA...just ran automap.
If you use the CC as your main client, make the jump with UOAssist, you won't regret it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Those are things that should be in the clients both of them anyway.... yarn coming off a spinning wheel should AUTO STACK. Why it doesn't is beyond stupid.

But really if we are going to get right down to it ..... the spinning wheel ought to spin the whole frelling stack of wool in your pack...... the whole thing in ONE click... it's beyond me why the DEVs of old thought that clicking each and every pile of wool and then the wheel was a good idea..... like having carpal tunnel I guess... wanted to keep some doctors in business? who knows. It's dumb.

And still all these years later we don't have a lathe or saw table that will take a pile of logs and chop them into boards for you... no you can only do a tiny few at a time so you have to constantly move piles around adding to the carpal tunnel syndrome. Like I'm pretty sure that they are working for some group of surgeons...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those are things that should be in the clients both of them anyway.... yarn coming off a spinning wheel should AUTO STACK. Why it doesn't is beyond stupid.

But really if we are going to get right down to it ..... the spinning wheel ought to spin the whole frelling stack of wool in your pack...... the whole thing in ONE click... it's beyond me why the DEVs of old thought that clicking each and every pile of wool and then the wheel was a good idea..... like having carpal tunnel I guess... wanted to keep some doctors in business? who knows. It's dumb.

And still all these years later we don't have a lathe or saw table that will take a pile of logs and chop them into boards for you... no you can only do a tiny few at a time so you have to constantly move piles around adding to the carpal tunnel syndrome. Like I'm pretty sure that they are working for some group of surgeons...

In this we agree completely :) I wish that picking cotton from the raised beds stacked as well LOL, atleast thread goes into a stack but yeah yarn is just annyoing and I avoided wool like it was one of my neighbors until I started making fuse cords. And quickly remembered that I dislike sheep in game even more than I do IRL.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Resolution?

First and foremost, it starts with the fact, that the EC doesn't even have its own art. Player art and mob art yes, but the whole world tileset is from the CC. In order to make the two clients visually distinct, you'd have to add unique art to the EC in the first place. That is not going to happen, since BS doesn't have the team size or manpower.

Second, check the art which is added nowadays. With the exception of wearables (for obvious reason since the paperdoll/player looks different) the art added to both clients in the same. Why? We're back to the BS team size.

Third, the EC is called "enhanced" for a reason, but that is clearly not because of the graphics. If you come up with a new client, you have to come up with a fancy name as well. Besides it is supposed to be the superior client since it is the newer one. While it excels the classic client in a lot of aspects, it also fails to stay on par with the CC in enough other certain aspects as well. By no means the EC is the "better" client. Both have their pros and cons. But it manages to provide a viable alternative for players who appreciate mondern functionality (which I personally am happily taking and TBH I could never go back to the CC, despite of EC's flaws).

As much as I'd like to have "enhanced graphics" in the EC, TBH that's the least of ECs problems...

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As a returning player, I notice this a lot too. A ton of negativity particularly coming from some veteran players. Can't imagine the Dev's feeling super motivated to do amazing work when the majority of things they hear/read are negative.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As a returning player, I notice this a lot too. A ton of negativity particularly coming from some veteran players. Can't imagine the Dev's feeling super motivated to do amazing work when the majority of things they hear/read are negative.
On the other side of the coin, for the players defense, it's hard to be thrilled when you make so many requests for some game improvements, and some of them are what we would think of as simple things, they don;t get acknowledged, instead you get re-dyed runebooks.

It's hard to be thrilled when you look at a piece of new art, and it is out of whack, when you say something about it you get a long scientific pictoral about how the wrong is right, and all the old is actually wrong.

It's hard to be thrilled when you say something looked better the other way, and are told that the new way is the way it is and that regardless of what anyone wants, there will be no revert.

It's hard to get excited about playing test, origin, or anything else to do with testing, when time after time after time after time bugs get reported by testers but get released anyway...so why bother?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
On the other side of the coin, for the players defense, it's hard to be thrilled when you make so many requests for some game improvements, and some of them are what we would think of as simple things, they don;t get acknowledged, instead you get re-dyed runebooks.

It's hard to be thrilled when you look at a piece of new art, and it is out of whack, when you say something about it you get a long scientific pictoral about how the wrong is right, and all the old is actually wrong.

It's hard to be thrilled when you say something looked better the other way, and are told that the new way is the way it is and that regardless of what anyone wants, there will be no revert.

It's hard to get excited about playing test, origin, or anything else to do with testing, when time after time after time after time bugs get reported by testers but get released anyway...so why bother?
I reported that my swamp dragon was bugged and couldn't be put in a container. It got fixed the very next day.
Virtubane, Jounar, and Ozy....look amazing. Isn't that considered new artwork? ToL is only 6 months old now. What about the tiger cubs and T-rex, are those considered bad?
Regarding the runebooks, I do like the old look better. Not sure why they can't revert it. In the end, it's a runebook.

Any chance people are looking past all the positive new things and only seeing the few negatives?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I find it hard to be upbeat and excited when all I hear about is how small the DEV team is and how this and that aren't going to happen or get done...

When I walk around the land and see gaping holes all along the shore...

When I page a GM and may or may not ever get an answer...

When I come to these forums and hear over and over and over again about people NOT being able to get their accounts turned back on... how they have to jump through 100's of loops and hurdles to get it back and then decide F it too much effort.

When I keep dealing with the same issues and bugs months on end.

When I have to wait a full year for a bug fix.

When I want to buy a few codes from the store and I have to risk having my bank account shut down for Fraud and risk losing my UO account over it.

When my bank tells me that Origin is a known source of too many fraud charges so they won't allow any charges from them on my card.

When I listen to post after post of people quitting because they are sick of the harassment, scamming, bots, and other cheats that go unchecked...

When I listen to people be upset that they can't attend the EM events anymore because it's too hard to follow the RP of them with all the people spamming... to STFU and other disturbing things... or how they just can't because the folk using something there cause them to lag out and crash.. or they are sick and tired of attending for years and NEVER getting a drop... but the guy running the script to multibox 3 and 4 characters gets 2 or 3 drops almost every time... and they are SICK of it.

Really hard to keep a positive attitude... when you hear things about the Governor system and the EM's and the PEC and you think FINALLY they are going to put the RP back in MMO-RPG.... but then you realize that it's not happening.

Also hard to take a group of DEVs serious when they don't even proofread or spell check their posts....

Or it takes MONTHS to get any communication from them...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Nailed it