• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thanks Devs! Thank you soooo much

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh you did it again LOL

When where you Devs planning to tell us???? That there is a logout bug doing the roof quest? Well i did the last room with a friend of mine (Belfry) when my wife hollered as she is sick atm..so i logged out with two of my GD's
Logged back in...i was outside of the room of course but both GDs gone..didnt show on my char or at stables

and one was a wopping 4.3 star GD...THANKS ALOT DEVS AND THANKS ALOT EA FOR ANOTHER WONDERFUL BUG

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not to stir the pot, But the same bug sometimes happens if you log out with a pet in a champ spawn area. When you log in, you get ported, and your pet poofs. I lost a few pets do to this.
So it seems whatever mechanic effects pets at champ spawns, also effects them on the roof. I know I have reported it, but maybe they need more information to fix it.

Though they are very active here, I would also submit a bug report by emailing them at [email protected]

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please do send in that bug report.
I have a good friend who lost their GD to this bug, they need more info and you might help this along. Thank you and I am so sorry you lost your pets.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to stir the pot, But the same bug sometimes happens if you log out with a pet in a champ spawn area. When you log in, you get ported, and your pet poofs. I lost a few pets do to this.
So it seems whatever mechanic effects pets at champ spawns, also effects them on the roof. I know I have reported it, but maybe they need more information to fix it.

Though they are very active here, I would also submit a bug report by emailing them at [email protected]
Had this happen to me in Destard a few months back after a Harrower....was in the water eles area though, not up by Rikky.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Did you have your pets linked to a pet summoning ball? sometimes they will just run as far as they can in one direction?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
interesting, myself and the people i play with - we always log out up there with our GD's.
until now.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would just allow us to use pet summon balls or just add shadowguard to the crystal portal.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lost a 4.5 when Mesanna poped into Chat about 2 yrs ago mid-day to tell everyone "Find a Safe Location Please. The Servers Need to Come Down. You Have 10min."

Immediately recalled to a stable and never logged back on that day b/c I know how buggy things can get.
Logged back on the next day to find they reverted to about 5mins BEFORE she had made that announcement.

Welcome to the Lost Pets Club bro. :sad3:
Sorry ta see it happen to anyone.:(

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Losing pets sucks but we have stables for a reason. Anything else is just gambling.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lost a 4.5 when Mesanna poped into Chat about 2 yrs ago mid-day to tell everyone "Find a Safe Location Please. The Servers Need to Come Down. You Have 10min."

Immediately recalled to a stable and never logged back on that day b/c I know how buggy things can get.
Logged back on the next day to find they reverted to about 5mins BEFORE she had made that announcement.

Welcome to the Lost Pets Club bro. :sad3:
Sorry ta see it happen to anyone.:(
I lost another good pet before shard down to some years ago...Shadowguard ist a pain *g* you leave your pet at the gate run to the cyrstal logout to retreive your pet and do the quest or roof..insane!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what surprises me is we dont hear more of this.... come on folks these devs cant be depended on to create a rune book with a 100 charges and have it work! And yet people insist on doing a glitchy log out trick to auto stable a pet that they spent a 100 hrs farming, taming and training?????

at least it was only a nice Grt dragon. That can be replaced....it wont be easy but you can still farm them.
Picture this...

You know how many times I have been raided at a spawn by someone using a tweaked out tamer template on a dread mare with a baked in tow. With out fail as soon as I/we kill them ( which happens about half the time) they log out to save their pets from being killed and losing a couple skill points. I am waiting for the day when someone comes in here and loses their $hite because they just lost a 4.0 Dread war horse that likely cant ever be replaced. ( until they start selling them in game at the store for 5 Sovereigns ) ! :)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
....so....I don't think there needs to be a stable there.....I am actually against putting in on the crystal portal too.....I know I am probably the only one BUT....Shadowguard is supposed to be where you get really cool uber artifacts.....and getting there from the moongate is really not that hard....so you have to work a little bit to get where you're going.....and I'm HUMAN on a tamer with a GD.....

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not really a bug though is it? Just stable a pet if you are going to be afk for some time.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Does that include if your wife is a trained martial artist ? LOL
You have to weigh the risks man. No way would have I married someone who could kick my butt.

With this being said, I hear hiding helps.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I notice that the method they use lately to teleport you out of areas they don't want you to be in (shadowguard, exodus, champion spawns, etc) is the very old telestorming system.

This system was heavily modified back in 2000 when they had a hell of a time releasing house placement in Trammel. They simply couldn't keep the servers up with all the players logged in.

I remember one of the special rules is you could not have any pets. It is possible the system was designed to delete rather then stable pets.

This is all just a hypothesis.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Why would one log out in an area that would not be considered a safe log out zone? An I missing something? My first thought is that if you log out without being on a safe log out area and you lose your pets, well... I'm sure one can see the logic here. If I'm missing something, someone let me know.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh you did it again LOL

When where you Devs planning to tell us???? That there is a logout bug doing the roof quest? Well i did the last room with a friend of mine (Belfry) when my wife hollered as she is sick atm..so i logged out with two of my GD's
Logged back in...i was outside of the room of course but both GDs gone..didnt show on my char or at stables

and one was a wopping 4.3 star GD...THANKS ALOT DEVS AND THANKS ALOT EA FOR ANOTHER WONDERFUL BUG
Pets & Shadowguard - WARNING

I posted this warning back in November. Sorry for your loss.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If I was to lose my GD I have on Siege it would be my breaking point as Ive never seen one better on Siege or any server for that matter. Having my chest with over 35 Full Soulstones just plain disapear in my castle right in front of me, and waiting hours for a GM that never came almost made me quit the game for good.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh you did it again LOL

When where you Devs planning to tell us???? That there is a logout bug doing the roof quest?
LMMFAO I am so glad that you think the DEVs did this on purpose just to get players to lose their pets and piss them off. You must think the DEVs are a bunch of morons for doing this.

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are still many bugs with shadowguard, logging out in the one of the rooms can cause your pet to never log out with you(it will just slowly go wild), using a necro summons in armory that will stay spawned then port the necromancer to orchard that you must use help stuck to exit, dieing if you used a silver sapling seed or exiting and trying to reenter the roof too fast can bug your char(you can't reenter the roof till the next day after server up). The dead body of a hurricane elemental(or anything) can block you from putting a canal piece down.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought this was going to be a positive post for the devs but it is a sarcastic post.

Kind of like doing a "rage quit" but instead it's a "rage post."

*fixed spelling*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I can understand being upset over the loss of a beloved pet especially your main source of power... you can't honestly believe the DEVs would do that on purpose.

Now... knowing that this has been an ONGOING issue that has NOT been resolved you could safely be angry about the lack of a stablemaster in Shadowguard to at least allow folk some sort of "safety" net to keep from losing a pet.

However I kinda think that you should have at least taken the time to run out down the stairs and recall home if you were leaving.

Now I can understand an emergent situation where you can't always log where you want... but it would be like asking the DEVs to put a stablemaster at every champ spawn in Fel. Probably NOT going to happen. I would suppose the reason there is one in Blackthorns castle is because you can't actually walk through Blackthorns WITH your pet.

Guess we are all getting a tad spoiled.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK, so I am going to revive this thread with a new issue.

@Kyronix

Went into the fountain today with a tamer... killed eles for a bit, but it got a little crazy so I exited via the context menu... I was alive. My pet was alive. I did not log out. My bonded pet went poof. Unacceptable.

I am done with shadowguard rooms until this crap gets fixed.

Let this be a warning to all tamers doing shadowguard.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let me get this strait...
You came out of shadowguard with pet in tow both of you in full health..... didn't hit your log out... then poof the pet disappeared.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok now....
Did your stat bar show your pet still as yours?
ie: 5/5 pets
also did you return to shadowguard to see if it rubberbanded back there?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm very sorry this happened. ty for posting. ive lost all my prox dragons to bugs like this. it would happen when u died.I will never own one again. I always stable pets before logging if I can.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you gotta make sure the last command was "all follow me" or else it'll stay behind like if you switch subservers ... only in this case, it stays in the fountain but it's still there

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I will start using a worse GD at shadowguard from now on. Not my best one just in case.

Once I have finished I never logout with my pet there. Always run out, recall, stable.

After seeing Merus post though it sounds like a different issue. That sucks

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok now....
Did your stat bar show your pet still as yours?
ie: 5/5 pets
also did you return to shadowguard to see if it rubberbanded back there?
As soon as I popped out of the fountain my pet count went to 0/5. I tried going back into the fountain several times, but no pet. I logged out and back in, no pet. I ran down the steps and recalled to change servers and logged in and out, no pet.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'll never quite understand this shift in sentiment after a few days from sympathy for a player's loss to a campaign - often concerted - blaming the player for the loss.

Did the developers, with deliberation and cackling with glee, mean for this to happen? No.

Are they responsible for it? Yes, but just you try to work with a code base this old. I have no doubt they'd fix it if they could. It should certainly go into a Known Issues list in the release notes until it's fixed.

Where did this notion of a safe logout zone being required to hold onto your pets come from? Unless memory fails me - always a possibility - the logout save was added because tamers were losing their pets when folks would kill the tamer, aggro the pet, lead it away and keep it away until it was no longer bonded with its owner. These were never safe zones. Rather they were situations more like the one Timberwolf described.

And now that we know, we can take precautions. Nonetheless a warning GUMP is called for like the one you have when going into fight Lady Mel or Medusa or similar situations where you're being handed off to a separate server process and can lose things for good. Players don't read release notes usually, nor does every player read Statics.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was not accusing him of nothing.
I simply was asking a chain of questions as to what he did.... many times we have no idea of another players actions in this situation.
Also if by any chance a Dev reads this ...which by the way is possible. It will give them information to track the offending bug!
He is not the only one who has lost pets, mounts, and items due to dungeon/champ glich in the system.
Your quite right on the log out, the only safe place is the stable for pet an home for the player.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guess is that you didn't all follow me at the time and it's possible the pet was engaged on some of the Elementals from the fountain (IMO this is the fault of the DEVs as once the thing is complete the ****ing elementals should STOP spawning.).... and so when you were tossed to the curb the dragon being still engaged and not actively following you got deleted with the room. Since the rooms are actually EMPTY and are loaded to what is needed when you click to enter and then everything is deleted when you leave. Including your dragon... that's my "guess" as to what is happening.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My guess is that you didn't all follow me at the time and it's possible the pet was engaged on some of the Elementals from the fountain (IMO this is the fault of the DEVs as once the thing is complete the ****ing elementals should STOP spawning.).... and so when you were tossed to the curb the dragon being still engaged and not actively following you got deleted with the room. Since the rooms are actually EMPTY and are loaded to what is needed when you click to enter and then everything is deleted when you leave. Including your dragon... that's my "guess" as to what is happening.
Clearly the pet got deleted with the room. Regardless of the why, it is wholly and completely unacceptable.

Tamers should not have to wonder every time they exit a shadowguard room if that is going to be the time the game deletes their pet.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Clearly the pet got deleted with the room. Regardless of the why, it is wholly and completely unacceptable.

Tamers should not have to wonder every time they exit a shadowguard room if that is going to be the time the game deletes their pet.
I agree and it makes me almost glad that my friends WON'T do the roof with me.