• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Opening Chests with Telekineses is poor form

should we STOP allowing Telekineses to open Treasure Chests

• leave it - i dont want to have to change my template

• leave it - its been like this for 18 years why change it now

• lets change this - death to Telekineses!

• who cares...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i know this stance is not going to go over well with the community but i have to say it.
allowing people to remove traps from a treasure chest with telekinesis is poor form.
while i use it myself on my T-Hunter i have always felt that the continued allowing of this bug takes away from the game.

let me explain.
they put lockpicking into the game. you need to use lockpicking to pick open treasure chests.
they put detect hidden into the game. you need to use detect hidden to see the traps on chests.
they put remove trap skill into the game and we use a level 3 magic spell to circumvent using this skill.

what from the above is logical and follows the games flow?
definitely not allowing the use of telekinesis.

now i know a lot of you are gonna argue this and that is totally cool, but keep in mind we are missing a fundamental part of the game, we are bypassing a base skill.
we have a skill that you need 100 points into to use and no one other then RP people and old faction people have worked because it can be replaced with a spell that costs you 12gp to buy.
that is a tragedy to the game mechanics.

now, far be it for me to come in here waggling a finger at the masses and not having at least some sort of remedy, so lets move onto what could or should be done to fix this issue.
what i am going to suggest is this - and please by all means post fixes that you guys may have.
i think that telekinesis should be scaled back to only work on doors and low level chests (say level 1-2). my opinion is if you want to treasure hunt and get the loot you should have to invest the points to be able to do so.
there should be a reward for investing 100 points into this skill.

now, are they going to do the above, absolutely not.
the time to fix this bug came and went 18 years ago (hmm but they did randomize mining veins after how many years...... maybe there is hope for this bug?)
using telekinesis is so ingrained into our game play its never going to leave.
but i think they should scale it back.
if you use telekinesis they should make it so you loose 1/2 of the chests loot right off the top due to the use of 'explosive magics' or make it so Grubbers - say 5 of them - scatter with some loot when you use telekinesis.
make it so there is a benefit to having and using the remove trap skill.

we all complain that there are dead skills in the game, so i say they revamp remove trap so it is once again alive.

what about other old skills that are dead?
taste ID - why not have it so if you have this skill and cooking or alchemy the stuff you make is better or lasts longer ect ect.
item ID - why not have it so if you have this skill anything you sell you get more gold for. if you have it on a imbuer you get more relics back when you unravel. why not add a new weapon/armor attribute (like brittle/prizes/antique) that you can only decipher if you have item ID and arms lore thus adding another hidden item out on that item?

its time to bring the dead skills back i think.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Already have to have all that crap on my character on Siege... also on my character who gathers Exodus keys...

If you take away the use of Telekinesis as a crutch if you will for T-Hunters then you take away all use for the spell and we already have enough skills and spells with Zero use.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just NO. I do not want to have to put remove trap on my template when I already invest over 100 points in magery of which telekinensis is a spell. Sorry, no way. To use your logic why not make all cooks have to put taste id on their templates, and make all poisoners have to have it too. And if you wanna steal anything insist that you have snoop as well as surely you cant steal from a chest unless you can see whats in it first, and yeah, make it so you have to have camping if you have lumberjacking as your out in the woods that long surely you need to camp. Telekinensis is NOT a bug, it is a mage spell. You want it, train magery.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To use your logic why not make all cooks have to put taste id on their templates, and make all poisoners have to have it too.
Is there something that tottally negates cooking and poisoning that I am unaware of? Because remove trap has little to no utility because of telekinesis. I'm fine with keeping telekinesis with it's current function, but give more incentive to use remove trap, like a 25-50% chance to spawn an extra special item in the chest, or reduce the chance of guardian spawn appearing.

It's absurd that a spell you can cast with JOAT or simply putting on a +15 magery ring negates 100 skill points. I also think the traps should do 10x the damage so if you want just blow the traps by opening it, you die, rather than take 50 damage.

This is something that has annoyed me from day one of remove trap's existance. I would also like to note that RT requires you to have 50 in two other skills to even work on it, or anyway it used to? I haven't worked that skill in ages, because, well, its pointless isn't it?

RT should also not unhide you. Give those skill points SOME benefit.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to say, even on Siege where tele doesn't work most treasure hunters don't have detect and remove trap, they make sure they have plenty of fire resist and take the hit.
I guess forcing the addition of those two skills would also force treasure hunting to be a group event. There would be no room for any fighting skills to handle the spawn.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to say, even on Siege where tele doesn't work most treasure hunters don't have detect and remove trap, they make sure they have plenty of fire resist and take the hit.
I guess forcing the addition of those two skills would also force treasure hunting to be a group event. There would be no room for any fighting skills to handle the spawn.
I do a lot of T maps on Siege and you nailed it :) If it were the same rules on prodo I would simply take the hit there as well. 100 cart 100 LP 360 in combat/caster tamer, 100 mining. You have 660 points, does not leave enough room for 200 points of Detect and Remove. In some cases I will party with my detective and stealth that toon in to detect and remove but only on those maps in isolated areas with no healers. Honestly I can't see anyone working those skills up for T hunting. The only reason I did on 1 toon was to detect hidden scripters so I could kill them and since I was training tracking and detect up I figured may as well do remove trap on the 12 minute lROT cycle.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
you need to use detect hidden to see the traps on chests.
Detect is useful for more than simpleton things such as tmaps. It was useful to reveal world traps, and where it has been most useful is revealing players or even Faction traps (which is now pointless). tbh there is no point to even use Detect hiddin on tmaps at all, you already know that it's going to be trapped from the beginning so just pop it and have a blast! Also I don't know if this still works since I haven't done tmaps in years, but I used to just stand 2 tiles away from the chest and open it via double clicking, the explosion wouldn't even reach you.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just double click them to open and take the damage!
You and me both. I don't bother with stepping away and casting it just to avoid up to 90 fire damage. I just make sure I have enough HP to take the hit.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do a lot of T maps on Siege and you nailed it :) If it were the same rules on prodo I would simply take the hit there as well. 100 cart 100 LP 360 in combat/caster tamer, 100 mining. You have 660 points, does not leave enough room for 200 points of Detect and Remove. In some cases I will party with my detective and stealth that toon in to detect and remove but only on those maps in isolated areas with no healers. Honestly I can't see anyone working those skills up for T hunting. The only reason I did on 1 toon was to detect hidden scripters so I could kill them and since I was training tracking and detect up I figured may as well do remove trap on the 12 minute lROT cycle.
I think the real problem here is that there are too many skills that are either 100% useless (Item ID, Taste ID, Camping) or offer far too little utility for the skill point investment (Tracking, Detect, Forensic Eval, etc).

Some of these skills need a revamp, some just need to be combined.

Lock Picking + Remove Traps = "Burglary". From there add a trap removal tool, remove the ability for telekinesis to disarm traps as well as having triggered traps not disarm. Every person working a chest will have this skill, so there's no reason to allow any other means of trap disarming, because obviously... defeats the purpose of the skill. Synergy with Tinkering (improves disarm/unlock chance)

Tracking + Detect Hidden + Forensic Eval -> "Detection" Feel a little less wasteful point wise to roll these all up into one skill.

Camping -> Survival. Adds ability to "forage" targeting wilderness tiles to find different flora and objects relative to the tile type, effects loot when skinning corpses, allows erection of temporary tents. Synergy with Animal Lore (further improves skinning results) and Detection (Improves foraging results).

Item Id - Magic Lore: Allows for chance to remove skills off of items with imbuing. Works like material enhancement, gives you 20% chance to remove the property, if you fail the item is destroyed. 5% chance to remove curses. Add secret items with secret properties. Each player has a one time shot at revealing the secret property, if they fail, they can never unlock it. Adds in community interaction.

Taste Id - Some kind of buff to cooking and Alchemy? Dunno.

That would all take a lot of work of course so the simple solution would be to just remove the LP and DH requirements for training. I'm honestly shocked that this is still a requirement.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think the real problem here is that there are too many skills that are either 100% useless (Item ID, Taste ID, Camping) or offer far too little utility for the skill point investment (Tracking, Detect, Forensic Eval, etc).

Some of these skills need a revamp, some just need to be combined.

Lock Picking + Remove Traps = "Burglary". From there add a trap removal tool, remove the ability for telekinesis to disarm traps as well as having triggered traps not disarm. Every person working a chest will have this skill, so there's no reason to allow any other means of trap disarming, because obviously... defeats the purpose of the skill. Synergy with Tinkering (improves disarm/unlock chance)

Tracking + Detect Hidden + Forensic Eval -> "Detection" Feel a little less wasteful point wise to roll these all up into one skill.

Camping -> Survival. Adds ability to "forage" targeting wilderness tiles to find different flora and objects relative to the tile type, effects loot when skinning corpses, allows erection of temporary tents. Synergy with Animal Lore (further improves skinning results) and Detection (Improves foraging results).

Item Id - Magic Lore: Allows for chance to remove skills off of items with imbuing. Works like material enhancement, gives you 20% chance to remove the property, if you fail the item is destroyed. 5% chance to remove curses. Add secret items with secret properties. Each player has a one time shot at revealing the secret property, if they fail, they can never unlock it. Adds in community interaction.

Taste Id - Some kind of buff to cooking and Alchemy? Dunno.

That would all take a lot of work of course so the simple solution would be to just remove the LP and DH requirements for training. I'm honestly shocked that this is still a requirement.
ItemId should allow other ingredients to be had from unraveling items.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i like how the most venomous argument about killing telekinesis is that people dont want to mess up their templates.
you want to get people out with torches and pitchforks hint at the possibility that they may have to change a template they have, haha.
i know, i hate change too, but sometimes ya have to take the hit for the betterment of the game.

seriously thought, after 18+ years its not like this is ever gonna happen anyways.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think this is in the same catagory as breaking paralyze with a trap-box
i dont like either, but its been in this game for so many years, that you cant change it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think this is in the same catagory as breaking paralyze with a trap-box
i dont like either, but its been in this game for so many years, that you cant change it.
Or just change it in a non disruptive way, by buffing RT rather than nerfing telekinesis.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with the OP, it was an unintentional clooge that isn't within the spirit of the game, the same is true for where people can log out and back in to retrieve their pets in areas where you can't use a pet ball of summoning. It's a bug that everyone has gotten used to.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn't this similar to them changing the runebook colors? Why make a change with no tangible benefit to players or the game when it has worked this way for so long.

Yes, in a perfect world the Remove Trap skill should be used to open treasure chests. But changing it now would just make players unhappy.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I agree with the OP, it was an unintentional clooge that isn't within the spirit of the game, the same is true for where people can log out and back in to retrieve their pets in areas where you can't use a pet ball of summoning. It's a bug that everyone has gotten used to.
How is not having a mage in your group who can magically manipulate items at a range not within the spirit of the game?

Also, this spell was present in Ultima 7 and Ultima 9 I believe...

By your logic, it would be proper to say "Why is it fair that everyone who takes the time to train a skills that specifically allows them to bypass my magery utility for the group valid?" if using mages for telekinesis was more prevalent than remove trap etc.

In all honesty, it comes down to being a personal choice. You personally feel more accomplished using developed skills for a task, just as a mage who has mastered their arts feels the same way about utilizing trivial magic to accomplish the same goal. It doesn't affect you at all and by judging from your argument, it's nothing more than a gripe born of pettiness.

Last edited:

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree it may be poor form to use telekinesis to remove traps from chests but don't agree it should be removed, I think @Uvtha has it spot on about either revamping or offering some sort of bonus if you use the remove trap skill. Too many people have to already modify their T-Hunter template by stoning on/off skills (Carto/Mining/Etc) that adding an extra skill just to untrap makes no sense, it's been this way since the beginning and don't think it should be changed

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
This topic does make a lot of sense.. I would be down for making higher level chests, needing remove trap and causing way more damage to the near by crazies and chance losing items in the chest. That would be really how it should be done and I would not object.. all I would have to say is at least make the loot way better than it is now in those chests, if the rules were to be changed. Problem is though, there are too many cry babies that would just whine if this were to change, and that is sad. I love UO and I win UO all the time :p

NinjaSampire

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
telekinesis is a psychic ability used to influence a physical system without physical interaction. I do not think using the ability is a bug or an exploit, but it does set the trap off. If you were to use the other posted skills it would be cool to get some sort of bonus. Like if you used telekinesis you would have a chance to destroy an item much like when we fail a key. If you use the other mentioned skills up to say 80 skill points would be like using a skeloton key increasing your chance for success but not eliminating the chance for failure. If you gm the skills would be like when we use a master skeleton key 100 percent success. Don't get me wrong I like how it currently is, but if we wanted to make some other skills serve more of a purpose, that is how I think it could work.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I voted no - unless there are some drastic changes in treasure chest loot and spawn - and I mean major changes. In the old days, the loot from treasure chests was good enough that it could be a group hunt. One person had the skills to find and open the chests, while the group killed the spawn. Then everybody shared the loot. Now the loot is barely good enough for one person - even level 7. So thunting has mainly become a solo activity, because that's all the loot will support and whole spawn can be killed by person in a few minutes (except those renegade changelings in Ilsh, which take a bit longer). Make it to where one person can't solo chests, and you kill t hunting - unless they drastically upgrade the loot.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I think quite a few here are explaining a solution for this issue incorrectly, where as a few are correct... It's very simple.

For example, a proper change would be to keep telekinesis as it is, allowing it to open treasure chests just as it always has been able, the same as simply ignoring the traps and opening it right away with a double click. However change the function of treasure chests and traps so that the impact of the trap being triggered results in damaged or destroyed treasure as a consequence.

A person has a choice currently to ignore the traps and take the damage, use the spell telekinesis to engage and remove the trap safely, or use the skill remove trap to remove the trap without the need to engage the trap. All of which currently result in the same outcome, dat booty. :B

With such a change, a person retains that ability to make such a choice, however their result is altered. Yes, they receive dat booty :B still, however now if they decide to engage the traps, effectively resulting in damage to anything within the vicinity of the traps (now with damage to dat booty :B supported!) the resulting dat booty :B is now less, whereas they could preserve their precious dat booty :B by completely removing the traps.

tl;dr:
take box, car keys, explosives.
insert car keys and explosives into box.
engage explosives.
????
search for keys.
place ad for locksmith on craigslist.
include locksmith must travel, because you stupid and blew up car keys.
weep.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You and me both. I don't bother with stepping away and casting it just to avoid up to 90 fire damage. I just make sure I have enough HP to take the hit.
True. I'm surprised nobody suggested doubling the damage of the traps

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is not having a mage in your group who can magically manipulate items at a range not within the spirit of the game?
The whole problem I have with it is that 9 points of skill in an otherwise amazingly versitle skill > than 200 points of skill in skills with almost no other use than manipulating treasure chests. Granted it's a problem that a) should never have occurred in the first place or b) one that should have been addressed 13 years ago. :(

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
The whole problem I have with it is that 9 points of skill in an otherwise amazingly versitle skill > than 200 points of skill in skills with almost no other use than manipulating treasure chests. Granted it's a problem that a) should never have occurred in the first place or b) one that should have been addressed 13 years ago. :(
I'm restraining myself from pointing out the outweighing flawed logic behind this entire argument that can be applied towards just about any skills depending on the situation they are used in, which again ultimately goes right back to personal choice and preference.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm restraining myself from pointing out the outweighing flawed logic behind this entire argument that can be applied towards just about any skills depending on the situation they are used in, which again ultimately goes right back to personal choice and preference.
Name me other occasions where an ability requiring 9 skill (or even no skill if you are a human) trumps an ability requiring 200 skill, or something even close to that level of imbalance.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Name me other occasions where an ability requiring 9 skill (or even no skill if you are a human) trumps an ability requiring 200 skill, or something even close to that level of imbalance.
Easy, a dexxer utilizing 100 skill points that can curse, gheal, field, wall, tele, dispel field, magic arrow, lightning, fireball, harm, arch cure vs a mage utilizing 240 skill points. And in this current state of the game that is 90% of what most mages focus on doing.

Now currently I'm not going to derail this thread further. I actually want to see other people's thoughts.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easy, a dexxer utilizing 100 skill points that can curse, gheal, field, wall, tele, dispel field, magic arrow, lightning, fireball, harm, arch cure vs a mage utilizing 240 skill points. And in this current state of the game that is 90% of what most mages focus on doing.

Now currently I'm not going to derail this thread further. I actually want to see other people's thoughts.
That's not the same thing at all. Not only is is the skill useage more equitable, the one doesn't cover literally the entirety of the others abilities. There are many many many things that a mage/eval CAN do, and often do do, (such as have the function of 200 skill points worth of remove trap) and mages do it with much greater power. In no way does situation a make situation b pointless.

In the other case RT can ONLY remove traps. That is the ONLY thing it can do, and to do so with the same effectiveness as a 0 skill spell, they must invest 200 skill points. Nowhere ear the same thing.

Better example would have been invisibility, vs hiding. While thats along the same lines, hiding skill retains many useful unique properties and casting a 6th circle spell actually takes up some template space.

And you aren't derailing the thread, this imbalance is the entire point of the thread.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooo You find chest deal with the initial guardians, mark a rune, tele to the house wait 2 minutes drop two skills on stones and then add detect and remove tele back open the chest, change skills around again , repeat for the next map. Annoy 90% of the people who T hunt who say screw it and find something else to do. Here is a novel idea if it makes someone feel better train up those skills and use them or not, or party with your second accounts toon that you wasted a whole bunch of time training those two skills up and dual client every chest. Personally I think T chest are pretty well balanced atm a good piece of loot now and then and several templates that work very well and are fun. As far as making it a group event, good luck finding a group on most shards to split loot that is adequate for a solo, but start splitting 2-3-4 ways and it quickly becomes a total waste of time and effort to T hunt.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooo You find chest deal with the initial guardians, mark a rune, tele to the house wait 2 minutes drop two skills on stones and then add detect and remove tele back open the chest, change skills around again , repeat for the next map. Annoy 90% of the people who T hunt who say screw it and find something else to do. Here is a novel idea if it makes someone feel better train up those skills and use them or not, or party with your second accounts toon that you wasted a whole bunch of time training those two skills up and dual client every chest. Personally I think T chest are pretty well balanced atm a good piece of loot now and then and several templates that work very well and are fun. As far as making it a group event, good luck finding a group on most shards to split loot that is adequate for a solo, but start splitting 2-3-4 ways and it quickly becomes a total waste of time and effort to T hunt.
Or just make RT better while not altering the telekinesis method so there's incentive to use a currently 100% pointless skill, while not disrupting current gameplay. *shrug*

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or just make RT better while not altering the telekinesis method so there's incentive to use a currently 100% pointless skill, while not disrupting current gameplay. *shrug*

No problem with that at all adding incentive for the extra work makes a lot more sense than making it seem like a YOU WILL DO IT THIS WAY Punishment.

Xavier-Catskills

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I can deferentially understand everyone's concerns wanting it or not wanting it. How about it works lock a lockpicking fail, if you use telekinesis, a random item gets destroyed just like a lockpicking fail, and if you use remove trap skill or take damage from chest by physically opening, nothing is impaired and enjoy your goodies.

OR.

Make it a REAL trap, you use telekinesis and trap goes off - top tier mob from that lvl map spawns instantly, use remove trap, and the guaranteed big buy doesn't show..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can deferentially understand everyone's concerns wanting it or not wanting it. How about it works lock a lockpicking fail, if you use telekinesis, a random item gets destroyed just like a lockpicking fail, and if you use remove trap skill or take damage from chest by physically opening, nothing is impaired and enjoy your goodies.

OR.

Make it a REAL trap, you use telekinesis and trap goes off - top tier mob from that lvl map spawns instantly, use remove trap, and the guaranteed big buy doesn't show..
I like the guardian showing up.

Infact I think that's the best suggestion yet.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you know you can stand two tiles away from a casted gate and use telekensis to go through while flagged still. PvP bugs. Lol

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Did you know you can stand two tiles away from a casted gate and use telekensis to go through while flagged still. PvP bugs. Lol
This has literally nothing to do with telekinesis at all... You can simply stand two tiles away from a gate and double click it to accomplish this.

Telekinesis literally does nothing more than extend the range to interact with an object by means of double clicking it. In other words, Using telekinesis on something 10 tiles away, is no different than walking up to the object and double clicking it.

There is no need to make something seem fishier than it actually is.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Normally I'd be in favor or something like this but my problem with it is that remove trap is poorly implemented. I've watched my guildmate who has GM detect and remove trap try to disarm treasure chests, only for it to sometimes fail, give him a huge splash of damage, and then we open the chest anyways - and I have to wonder, what's the point? 200 skill points invested for this single function and it seems so very arbitrary, because once you trip the trap it goes away anyway. Given this, why even bother with having the chests trapped anyway? It seems so pointless, and it doesn't offer any kind of meaningful challenge other than being an arbitrary barrier to completing a task.

Why not get rid of traps for treasure chests altogether and save the trapped for containers for something else, perhaps a revamped dungeon chest system?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I think quite a few here are explaining a solution for this issue incorrectly, where as a few are correct... It's very simple.

For example, a proper change would be to keep telekinesis as it is, allowing it to open treasure chests just as it always has been able, the same as simply ignoring the traps and opening it right away with a double click. However change the function of treasure chests and traps so that the impact of the trap being triggered results in damaged or destroyed treasure as a consequence.

A person has a choice currently to ignore the traps and take the damage, use the spell telekinesis to engage and remove the trap safely, or use the skill remove trap to remove the trap without the need to engage the trap. All of which currently result in the same outcome, dat booty. :B

With such a change, a person retains that ability to make such a choice, however their result is altered. Yes, they receive dat booty :B still, however now if they decide to engage the traps, effectively resulting in damage to anything within the vicinity of the traps (now with damage to dat booty :B supported!) the resulting dat booty :B is now less, whereas they could preserve their precious dat booty :B by completely removing the traps.

tl;dr:
take box, car keys, explosives.
insert car keys and explosives into box.
engage explosives.
????
search for keys.
place ad for locksmith on craigslist.
include locksmith must travel, because you stupid and blew up car keys.
weep.
by your talking we should also have a spell that will let you tame a greater dragon, thus allowing us to not have to work up taming.
we could just buy the spell for 12gp and cast it and the GD is ours.

thats what we are talking about here, allowing a spell to let us bypass a skill that is in the game for a specific reason.

if we had a spell that would allow you to make alchemy pots would people complain?
if we had a spell that would let you imbue a weapon would people complain?

so why do we allow there to be a spell that lets people bypass the 100 skill points intended for removing a trap?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
lets muddy the waters a little shall we.
so you have 100 remove trap/detect hidden/lockpicking..... so shouldnt you be able to remove locks and traps with no effort?

say..... on the tiger cub cages?
or kaldun chests?

just a thought.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
by your talking we should also have a spell that will let you tame a greater dragon, thus allowing us to not have to work up taming.
we could just buy the spell for 12gp and cast it and the GD is ours.
uwot? Did you completely read the post you quoted, or just made an assumption on previous postings?

if we had a spell that would allow you to make alchemy pots would people complain?
some yes, some no. depends on if it would require mana, nobody likes inscription because it requires mana.

if we had a spell that would let you imbue a weapon would people complain?
1. Mysticism echant weapon.
2. Technically imbuing is a magical function of enchanting a weapon so I guess could technically be "casting" an enchantment on an item to imbue it?

Also...
by your talking we should also have a spell that will let you tame a greater dragon
You can cast a spell to train taming, the taming mastery spell ;x

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is this a bug? The whole point of telekinesis is to use an item from a distance, and it does its intended job. Are *you* calling it a bug because you don't like it? In 18 years a dev has never called or referred to it as a bug. It's a useful feature of a skill, magery, and it's the only use of an otherwise useless spell.

Now I want to throw Siege into the argument since it directly goes along with your post. Siege is considered a harder shard and one of Siege's rules is telekineses doesn't work on chests. Why would they fix a supposed "bug" on two shards and leave it intact on the rest of the shards if it was a bug?

I could go on, but this post is a waste of time because telekineses on Tmap chests has never been and will never be a bug. It is an intended feature.

I appreciate discussion to make a use for dead skills, but come up with a fresh idea instead of stealing from one skill to give to another.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
a skill that is in the game for a specific reason.
The skill was put in the game for a reason that no longer exists, when it comes to t hunting
I addressed this in Post #26 and don't see a response to it. So let's try again.
1. Loot has advanced to such a point, as well as character templates, that treasure hunting is justified only as a solo activity
1. Requiring detect hidden and remove trap to open the chest will either:
a. Make it impossible to solo high level chests, because there's no room left in the template to kill high-level spawn = thus killing off t hunting altogether
or
b. Require the t hunter to teleport back and forth to swap out skills to kill the spawn = major bother = thus killing off t hunting altogether
Conclusion: The only way your suggestion will not kill off treasure hunting altogether is to drastically upgrade the loot in the chest and on the spawn to justify it as a group activity.