• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

which is the most dead shard in the game

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am looking for the most dead shard, with as little people as possible, and basically zero pvp guilds and no people who engage in pvp / camp fel spawns. anyone have any idea which one fits the bill?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Balhae would be my guess. Shard has less folk than anything I've seen.

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting.. I hadn't considered the non-us shards. What would be the most empty us shard tho? Thanks

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am not sure maybe Napa... I'd ask @THP he does a shard tour every now and again... He might know the answer to that better than me.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not sure maybe Napa... I'd ask @THP he does a shard tour every now and again... He might know the answer to that better than me.
As someone who's been the beneficiary of plenty of nice grey robes thanks to raids at Napa champ spawns I'd say it's DEFINITELY not empty. ;)

-P.E.

keyvan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oceania shard is pretty dead you can let your char afk in the staroom without being killed for week lol

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am looking for the most dead shard, with as little people as possible, and basically zero pvp guilds and no people who engage in pvp / camp fel spawns. anyone have any idea which one fits the bill?
I'd encourage you to do a little scouting first.

There are many shards and I'm guessing very few play them all to be able to tell you which one has the fewest.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Baja...check it out due to rumors the major PvP/spawning guilds have disbanded or now are on other servers. Baja also recently had trouble selling two side by side castles, which should give you an idea of about how big the population is now. There are people who play, good folks too, but they mostly stock the Zoo in Moonglow and run girl scout troops in Trammel. So I am thinking, it might be a perfect fit, if you don't want big Fel guilds bothering you but do occasionally need stuff or people you can team up with for bosses or if you fancy going to the Zoo. ;)

I also found Origin so quiet it's like having your own personal server.

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Baja...check it out due to rumors the major PvP/spawning guilds have disbanded or now are on other servers. Baja also recently had trouble selling two side by side castles, which should give you an idea of about how big the population is now. There are people who play, good folks too, but they mostly stock the Zoo in Moonglow and sell girl scout cookies in Trammel. So I am thinking, it might be a perfect fit, if you don't want big Fel guilds bothering you but do occasionally need stuff or people you can team up with for bosses or if you fancy going to the Zoo. ;)

I also found Origin so quiet it's like having your own personal server.
I play on baja just got ganked. Hence da thread. Actually ive been waiting a long time for all da big guilds on baja to die out so that i could play in peace but i came back too early. Prolly still needs another 2-3 years

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I play on baja just got ganked. Hence da thread. Actually ive been waiting a long time for all da big guilds on baja to die out but i came back too early. Prolly still needs another 2-3 years
Ahh glad to see good ol' Baja still has some action on it. So which guilds are still Fel based there? I heard about SI and Cartel folding up on the forums. All lies?

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh glad to see good ol' Baja still has some action on it. So which guilds are still Fel based there? I heard about SI and Cartel folding up on the forums. All lies?
if by action you mean reds who cant find real pvp cause "the big guilds quit" so they camp the spawns to one shot the solo guy who has outdated gear and has no one else to play with cause they all quit then sure.

I dont know just came back after 2-3 years. But si prolly gone i dont see them anymore. All this means tho is that the next big guild and cartel gets the run of everything and i am tired of it. Same old same old just different guild tags or differnt guild politics i don't want to deal with these things now.

Like i said i just want to play on a dead server so i can do what i want in peace.

Last edited:

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Ack! Well I too recently came back to UO and had similar issues. I know you want a deserted shard for Felucca, but I've found Pacific to be a Goldilocks zone. It has just the right amount of people for me, nice community, plenty of good guilds, etc. without being a crowded and laggy like Atlantic. Also, if you need updated gear, guilds, and teams, a shard like Pac might be the best place. I've gotten all kinds of help with bosses, spawns, etc. There's always something to do on Pac, decent shopping, rares festivals, and fun stuff. I've found playing on a totally deserted shard isn't much fun at all and gets boring fast. Plus if you are west coast based, you might find that Balhae, etc. lag alot.

It really comes down to what you enjoy most. Good luck with your search!

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Napa is hit or miss on getting raided. There are only about 3 or 4 guilds that do any pvp there. One day you could spawn all day without seeing anyone and the next you could end up fighting all day over spawns. I personally think it gets boring if no one ever raids.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would say the most empty shard is Balhae. My guildies and I played there for about a month, and I saw two other people that entire time. Yes, in a month I saw a grand total of 2 people lol. There are also about 4 open in town luna houses there all the time, and castles are incredibly easy to find open spots for.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Clearly you've never logged in on Lake Austin. Siege has 3 times as many people.
Wait, wait....I can do the math on this.

Lake Austin....Siege...times three....carry the one...

So there's 24 people on Siege?

Well It's more than I thought.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If your looking for a dead shard with an economy that doesnt have anything for sale in the billions Siege could be for you. There are literally like 3 reds that I can think of that play actively, and I couldnt even say how often they are looking for people. When I find time to play I run spawns I have found 2 people in the past week with very limited play time, but I did kill them/ dry loot.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mugden pvp japaense shard is dead

balhae and airang and oceania are very very quiet asaian/eastern shards- castles all over in tram and felucca..even luna spots free

lake austin are quiet usa shards...many castles free all over

drachs is a quiet european shard with castle spots free all over

Balrog

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Had a guildmate go over to Lake Austin after I told him (weeks ago) that there were castle spots there. He was really excited to completely packed up and leave Atlantic. I believe he now has 4 castles over there.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*spidey senses are tingling*
WHY........................................?
I am thinking this is very usefull to not just this op.... think about it....
You all point out to shards low and all that, but think what your really pointing out. Shards open to pillage... exploits...
Don't think about it jr......

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If your looking for a dead shard with an economy that doesnt have anything for sale in the billions Siege could be for you. There are literally like 3 reds that I can think of that play actively, and I couldnt even say how often they are looking for people. When I find time to play I run spawns I have found 2 people in the past week with very limited play time, but I did kill them/ dry loot.
Make it 4 reds, one more returned :)

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
mugden pvp japaense shard is dead

balhae and airang and oceania are very very quiet asaian/eastern shards- castles all over in tram and felucca..even luna spots free

lake austin are quiet usa shards...many castles free all over

drachs is a quiet european shard with castle spots free all over
I'd have to disagree. Mugen is actually quite active; there's a lot more crossover from the non-SP Japanese shards than happens in the west.

Balhae and Arirang, yes, both are quiet. Balhae Fel is camped pretty hard though; most of the players there are in a couple of red guilds, so it's likely not what the OP is looking for.

Oceania is decently active, but it depends on timezone - it'd be sleeping when you're on THP, but for the OP, the closer you are the Hawaii, the better your chances of finding people on at the same time as you.

LA aye, very quiet. I'd add Legends and Origin to that list.

Drach, quiet, but again, depending on timezone. The closer you are to Germany, the better your chances of running into people there.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like quiet shards but there is such a thing as too dead. If you want Really dead I would suggest Origin, I just finished up abandoning Origin as it is too dead for even me. Legends is not dead but is low population, but enough population that you don't feel like you are playing a single player game. For prodo shards I play Legends for the small but friendly community and Great Lakes for access to things that are next to impossible to aquire on legends. A lot of people I see in my travels on GL have a shard shield for Lake Austin so I assume there is a alot of farming done there and shielding the loot back to GL to sell.

Siege is not dead neither is it huge population. In 12 years of playing fairly regular on Siege I have been Pkd exactly 4 times. I am not a house hider and have stealth on very few of my characters. In fact about the only time I use hiding and stealth, is when buying expensive things from vendors, stealth in buy and stealth out. What you won't find on Siege are large gatherings of people in high end gear with packs full of elite items........ Because there are no thieves on Siege :) Most of us that are regulars on Siege could care less about killing you and taking your stuff. Most reds just want to murder you and neither want or need your stuff. Siege does tend to go in cycles of a lot of PvP to no PvP but even when there is a lot of PvP going on it is easy enough to avoid. Like legends Siege has a tight knit core Community and if you require people interaction on a regular basis join one of the bigger guilds. Sieges biggest assets are Community, Healthy Economy, and Dark Wisp, they will kill you more than PKs ;)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Picking shard shields for a little farming? :)

Did this a little while back. Picked Lake Austin because folks said it was dead. Problem with it was nobody told Vamp it was dead lol. They showed up at 8-9 out of 10 spawns. This was also after the "Ghost Cam" fix that everyone had issues with. Wishing you luck on finding a shard that fits your needs... but I would be willing to bet those who already make a lucrative UO living by farming on other shards have ways to defend them on almost all shards. *shrugs* Just my .02 :)

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You had to bring it up didn't you. :gee:
we really need something. It's down right bad on some shards but is there an answer, probably not because of housing. Remember when owning a house was an achievement? Little 7x7 and you were proud as hell. I would love to see that again. Now I can own 500 castles if I wanted :(

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Goodman I guess your not on when I see the guilds going to hunt in the evening.
As for merger of the shards give it up kiddo. That issue was put to bed by the dev many times. To merge 2 shards someone will get hurt as you can't have two houses occupy the same spot.... and History... who will be absorbed into who??
East coast shards, west coast shards... I am so sorry you brought up this albatross again. :bdh:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Password123$
Well Goodman I guess your not on when I see the guilds going to hunt in the evening.
As for merger of the shards give it up kiddo. That issue was put to bed by the dev many times. To merge 2 shards someone will get hurt as you can't have two houses occupy the same spot.... and History... who will be absorbed into who??
East coast shards, west coast shards... I am so sorry you brought up this albatross again. :bdh:
What good is history when there is no one to see it. You either adapt or die and origin is DEAD. Imagine a new player coming into UO and choosing origin shard..... I have a simple solution. Turn off xfers to the shards such as origin and give players like 6 month window to do a free xfer if they want to stay that's fine but know xfers are permanetly disabled after this window. I guarantee there would be a mass exodus well in origin's case 20 people. If you wanted to stay then hey you still have your house. Furthermore I don't think nothing has been put to bed on this topic :) Embrace change!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Password123$

What good is history when there is no one to see it. You either adapt or die and origin is DEAD. Imagine a new player coming into UO and choosing origin shard..... I have a simple solution. Turn off xfers to the shards such as origin and give players like 6 month window to do a free xfer if they want to stay that's fine but know xfers are permanetly disabled after this window. I guarantee there would be a mass exodus well in origin's case 20 people. If you wanted to stay then hey you still have your house. Furthermore I don't think nothing has been put to bed on this topic :) Embrace change!
Depends on what you feel is important in-game. What you don't think is important is history and memories in the game. It's not the stuff, it's not the house (though sometimes it can be)... it is memories. Friends that have come and gone... I wouldn't leave my shard till they turn the lights off on UO. That's just how it is.

Many others feel the same way. I don't need a crowd of people to make the shard home. Why others think that we all want to be on a shard like Atl I don't know.

As for turning off transfers... well you know we lived without them for years. Turning them off and all would just make me happy since then the x-sharders wouldn't be all there to snatch and grab the EM drops and be obnoxious to the people trying to enjoy the event for the RP.

Now maybe if they created new shards that were "themed" where if you were into say PvM or PvP or RP and themed the shard to the playstyles.... you might see people wanting to leave their home for something like that....

I could see folk leaving shards and going to something more suited to their playstyle. But we all know that's not going to happen. They have enough trouble with playstyles.

But this subject is moot since they have said time and again "since you can move if you wanted to by getting transfer tokens they will NOT close any shards... they will NOT be merging any shards.... these things they have said time and again.

Now one think I think that one thing they could do would be to add a gate that say connects 3 or 4 shards... so you'd live on a "cluster" basically. Though this would be a lot of land to be going between and then you have to wonder do you then have 21 or 28 char or do you lose 14 to 21 characters? anyway those are some serious questions. Now if they could cluster the shards somehow and make it so most dungeons would be "shared" with each of the shards.. but this would require coding and such I just don't think they are capable of.