• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bunny Picture Poll

Thoughts on the now famous bunny picture?

• It's fine. It's a gift, be thankful!

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I really don't care.

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • It's hideous and has no place in UO

Votes: 18 26.1%

• Total voters

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you get a painting as a gift? All I saw was a post that someone made of artwork found in the publish. I have yet to see this painting or receive any gift at all. So I selected I don't care. I can't understand how you can have a poll about something we haven't even gotten.
They are called advanced polls...and they are down well in advance of the event ( what ever the event is) to gauge possible reaction

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Maybe I'm in a bad mood, which is never a good time for me to post.

Why is this even coming up? If this was part of a theme pack that we have to pay for, I could maybe see being upset about it. However, since this could very well magically appear in our packs around Easter, and we'd be paying the exact same amount whether or not it appeared, I can't fathom why this is an issue.

I also find it funny that so many people were upset that we didn't get anything for Valentine's Day. So, for Easter, we might get something, and people are still complaining.

From a game artwork standpoint, it looks like it sits well on the wall, so it's situated correctly. There is no 'isometric view' or 'oblique view' argument that can be made against it. The colors are vibrant, which is different than the normal dreary artwork usually displayed. The subject matter lends itself to only be displayed during the Easter season, so you probably will only see it hanging up during that season. And if someone has it hanging year round, so what?

Guess what? It's artwork, which almost never has a universal appreciation. Get over it and move on.

*takes fanboi cap off and walks away*
Should have actually read the posts. If you aren't going to take the time to read the posts why try and comment on them? Your questions would have been answered. Anyway... As I said before (in a previous post....) it's NOT really the bunny painting so much, sure it is a poster boy for hideous and all. It's the way the art has been going the last few years that is becoming ridiculous. I did make a mistake picking on the bunny picture specifically and the poll should have included the art of recent years in general with a multitude of ready examples. Naturally anyone could probably deal with one insane bunny picture. Or overlook it. Trust me if I could stop this from going live and getting no holiday content I pay for (again), I'm completely ok with that. Because it's an embarrassment to the game, the players, and the "artist". But the point of this is that we've been complaining and complaining about the art and it actually gets even worse and more absurd. This horrid painting is not this "straw" breaking the camel's back. It's the straws that have been dropping for a couple years now. Fluffy trees, 5' coffee pots, and all the other crap art that has a cartoon appearance, no texture, doesn't fit the theme of UO at all, perspective completely off. That is the real point of this poll. I regret the way the poll is worded, AND I do pay for this junk I have to toss (and have been tossing for years now), 40 bucks each and every month not including transfer tokens and all the other junk I buy. Honestly I'm totally sick of it. Inexcusable. To make it worse Mesanna tried to defend this kind of lame and unprofessional art with an actual posting in a news letter to the players. Inconceivable! (Someone toss me a Princess Bride pic). When it comes to art now we have the "Can't do crew". The odd thing is sometimes one actually sees some high quality detailed art and then they turn around and toss out this which is a child like attempt. But in general for the last couple years it would be hard to find one holiday gift done right when they actually do one that's not a recycle or they ignore the holiday completely. You would think with the few holidays they still address on occasion it would be a spectacular looking gift. *drops mic* *Stomps fanboi cap into the mud* :p

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Should have actually read the posts. If you aren't going to take the time to read the posts why try and comment on them? Your questions would have been answered. Anyway... As I said before (in a previous post....) it's NOT really the bunny painting so much, sure it is a poster boy for hideous and all. It's the way the art has been going the last few years that is becoming ridiculous. I did make a mistake picking on the bunny picture specifically and the poll should have included the art of recent years in general with a multitude of ready examples. Naturally anyone could probably deal with one insane bunny picture. Or overlook it. Trust me if I could stop this from going live and getting no holiday content I pay for (again), I'm completely ok with that. Because it's an embarrassment to the game, the players, and the "artist". But the point of this is that we've been complaining and complaining about the art and it actually gets even worse and more absurd. This horrid painting is not this "straw" breaking the camel's back. It's the straws that have been dropping for a couple years now. Fluffy trees, 5' coffee pots, and all the other crap art that has a cartoon appearance, no texture, doesn't fit the theme of UO at all, perspective completely off. That is the real point of this poll. I regret the way the poll is worded, AND I do pay for this junk I have to toss (and have been tossing for years now), 40 bucks each and every month not including transfer tokens and all the other junk I buy. Honestly I'm totally sick of it. Inexcusable. To make it worse Mesanna tried to defend this kind of lame and unprofessional art with an actual posting in a news letter to the players. Inconceivable! (Someone toss me a Princess Bride pic). When it comes to art now we have the "Can't do crew". The odd thing is sometimes one actually sees some high quality detailed art and then they turn around and toss out this which is a child like attempt. But in general for the last couple years it would be hard to find one holiday gift done right when they actually do one that's not a recycle or they ignore the holiday completely. You would think with the few holidays they still address on occasion it would be a spectacular looking gift. *drops mic* *Stomps fanboi cap into the mud* :p
I've been looking at the artwork the same as everyone else, and while I agree that some of it is not exactly appealing (to me), some of the other artwork I've seen recently has been fine (to me). Again, the artwork is a subjective argument, which really shouldn't be an argument at all. You don't like the artwork in general, while others might like it just fine.

As far as the claim that we pay for holiday content, could you point me to where the guarantee of holiday items was stated? It's very possible it exists I suppose, but I've never seen it. We pay to play on their servers. That's it. I can tell you that I certainly don't pay my subscription fees for the holiday items or anniversary items. I think it would be foolish of me to pay a monthly subscription in the hopes that I get a jack o'lantern on Halloween, or a Christmas tree in December. I pay to play on the servers with other players. I expect little else.

Good thing my fanboi cap was mud resistant.

Edit: Almost forgot. Your comments about my not reading the posts was unnecessary. I read them. I disagree with them, both in context and tone. I posted about the damn Easter painting because that was the focus of the poll. Didn't like my reply... should have been more specific on your initial poll.

Also note that my first reply wasn't directed at anyone specific. It was a general statement regarding this odd sense of "I'd better get something for the holidays, and it better be something I like." If you took it personally, that's on you. It's not on me.

Lastly, apparently I am in a bad mood, and I'll most likely regret even posting tomorrow. For today though... well... here we are.

Last edited:

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a small correction, @Corwyn. Art, or at least its utility in conveying an attractive and recognizable ambiance, isn't actually subjective where brands are concerned. Publishers of sandbox MMORPGs have long since discovered that creative limitations are a necessary evil in order to retain control over the look and feel of the service they're selling, especially when building on the foundation of a preexisting franchise.

Which begs the question, why does internally consistent content fall by the wayside as time goes on? (Say, pictures of Ultima characters or castles or dragons or other Medieval fantasy scenery.) What I think happens in the case of long-running franchises is, eventually, the fans become the producers and the artists and the programmers. There's bound to be some insecurity inherent in taking over reigns which once belonged to people they were big fans of. Maybe that creates some psychological distance between them and the franchise. After which we start to see some dilution of the content's internal consistency, because producers or artists or other content developers are unable to connect to the look and feel of the game as genuinely as earlier devs did. Naturally they begin to inject more of themselves into the content or pay fan service to the audience, because development has to go on after all.

It can take a tremendous amount of sacrifice for a producer or content developer to come into work every day and sacrifice the things they like on the altar of a brand-recognizable look and feel. Because every franchise is run by human beings, eventually something gives as developers and fans and in-jokes and familiar real-life traditions begin to bleed into a universe that once stood on its own.

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
wheres Zog Historian been?
Ok, off topic of this thread, but I've often wondered the same thing. Taking a break? Tired of being attacked by the ignorant masses for his pronouncements on all things economic? Inquiring minds want to know. I don't even see him listed as a member anymore.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Scratches head* Well his last interaction on the forums is probably one of the oddest economic/political/crazy-talk back-and-forth arguments I've seen here, and the person he and Merlin were arguing with typed some downright creepy and cryptic stuff.

"I'm glad I found you, it wasn't too difficult, how much has this enterprise cost you and how little has it cost me?"

"For those people that aren't aware of what this is about, that is probably for the best, if you don't understand just be safe in the knowledge that you are better off not trying to and that other people are taking care of it."

Hope he's not locked away in some dude's mother's basement! *Nervous laugh*

Okay within the context of the whole argument it probably sounds less creepy. But seriously though, two things are certain about an eighteen-year MMO.

People are going to take breaks.

And just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Especially on Siege.

:tinhat:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I've been looking at the artwork the same as everyone else, and while I agree that some of it is not exactly appealing (to me), some of the other artwork I've seen recently has been fine (to me). Again, the artwork is a subjective argument, which really shouldn't be an argument at all. You don't like the artwork in general, while others might like it just fine.

As far as the claim that we pay for holiday content, could you point me to where the guarantee of holiday items was stated? It's very possible it exists I suppose, but I've never seen it. We pay to play on their servers. That's it. I can tell you that I certainly don't pay my subscription fees for the holiday items or anniversary items. I think it would be foolish of me to pay a monthly subscription in the hopes that I get a jack o'lantern on Halloween, or a Christmas tree in December. I pay to play on the servers with other players. I expect little else.

Good thing my fanboi cap was mud resistant.

Edit: Almost forgot. Your comments about my not reading the posts was unnecessary. I read them. I disagree with them, both in context and tone. I posted about the damn Easter painting because that was the focus of the poll. Didn't like my reply... should have been more specific on your initial poll.

Also note that my first reply wasn't directed at anyone specific. It was a general statement regarding this odd sense of "I'd better get something for the holidays, and it better be something I like." If you took it personally, that's on you. It's not on me.

Lastly, apparently I am in a bad mood, and I'll most likely regret even posting tomorrow. For today though... well... here we are.
I don't think you've said anything you should regret. Especially when spoken truthfully from the heart. I apologize for your hat, send me a bill for a new one :) Some art is debatable. Some art is actually very nice and fits the game. Some art anyone with a brain should think, hey I don't know what I was thinking when I made that :p I don't need to be an art history major to spot it when it appears in game. The bunny pic is just a glaring prime example of having jumped the shark. One could introduce a modern 7-11 store into the game and some would absolutely love it. But that doesn't mean it's justified to introduce it.

Holidays have been a long tradition is UO. Practically everyone has been represented. Major holidays have a tradition of being represented and the theme was usually deco. Another feature we paid for that has taken a hit since Broadsword has hit the scene. Some of the nicest and most interesting deco has come from the holiday gifts and I think it's a pity to see it end. Pretty much one quality deco item in a box and your done. Seems like it wouldn't be impossible to pull off in a couple hours on a Friday afternoon. The code is done for delivering gifts and been used a bunch of times in the past. Now when holiday content does happen it seems to be treated in such a unprofessional fashion. I do pay for holiday content as my favorite UO thing is rares and deco. I buy rares, sell rares, collect and use deco etc. Every time I hunt it's for money to get better rares and deco. Every time I vendor it's to make money for better rares and deco. Every piece of armor I find or buy is so I can hunt better to make more money for rares and deco. lol How about my game? Shouldn't I eventually expect a little something? And when the Ghods finally throw me a bone shouldn't it look like they put More than 10 minutes of thought and effort into it? Holidays have taken a big hit already. Rehashed or ignored (that's another topic on it's own), shouldn't they try and do it with a little effort when they actually get around to doing one?

You stated... "Edit: Almost forgot. Your comments about my not reading the posts was unnecessary. I read them. I disagree with them, both in context and tone. I posted about the damn Easter painting because that was the focus of the poll. Didn't like my reply... should have been more specific on your initial poll."

Ya know that's EXACTLY what I said before so that could be why I get confused thinking you don't read posts lol You ask things like "Why is this even coming up?" when I answered that specific question earlier. So forgive me if I get confused about you seeming to not pay attention. You seem to think if we paid for a theme pack my argument would be more justified. I can do that, the King's Collection has a lot of messed up art, lol. I can see no difference between buying a theme pack and paying for a monthly subscription. Lets see what happens when people pay for a monthly subscription "to log into the servers only" and never saw another publish? How well do you think that would work? lol Anyway... whenever you get into a bad mood feel free to come hammer on me :) I'm a big boy it doesn't bother me.

If it helps I've been playing Battlestar Galactica Online which is technically F2P. Nothing like jumping into a space ship and blasting people :p Seems Broadsword is failing to hold my attention. Seems they prefer to annoy me over pleasing me. UO continues to bleed people and players and wither. So hey, they can do anything they want. For as long as it lasts. They can either meet our expectations or learn to like to work on DAoC I imagine ;) So I try and point them in a certain direction from a player perspective. I'm not here to destroy UO. I here to point out what I see as glaring mistakes. I provide feedback. They are free to do whatever they want. But once they drop enough straws I'll be banking up all my junk and taking another 2 year break, and to be honest I kinda doubt UO will be here when I think about returning. But UO has been "dying" for 10 years lol. So who knows. Anyway... they should listen to me and everyone else about the players legitimate concerns whatever they may be. That's their job. We don't come here cause it's a slow day and we have nothing else to do than to invent some topic and raise hell about it. We raise hell over things we care about. I focus on rares and deco, others focus on say taming, or whatever they deeply care about in UO. If BS doesn't seriously listen to what we are saying they are making a mistake, they're not doing their jobs. I provide the feedback on what I care about, that's my job. So I'm doing my job and hopefully it falls on the ears of someone who agrees, cares, and will act on it. That's all. Cause if they don't care, games are lined up to take my money. NP

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, off topic of this thread, but I've often wondered the same thing. Taking a break? Tired of being attacked by the ignorant masses for his pronouncements on all things economic? Inquiring minds want to know. I don't even see him listed as a member anymore.
God bless the ignore function, that's all I can say. :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
That's the thing. Once you head down that road where does the roads end? lol But the stuff Riyana kicked out in a few minutes looks every bit as good as the BS (God I do get some glee outta their initials being BS haha) one, if not better. As far as silly painting go, Riyana's actually look better. In The Sims they would be incredible, UO not so much. I find it interesting the original team cut many corners. They took actual famous art, shrunk it down and blurred it a little. BAM! Awesome painting lol. Quick and easy and it looks awesome. *sigh* Somewhere online I saw where people had compared some of the old school paintings to the actual art and it's very clear they copied that. So it's possible to take the quick and easy road and still do something incredible. Actually a cat "hanging in there" is more appropriate. There were cats in the 1400's. Someone might have actually painted their cat. I kinda doubt there were Easter bunnies. Someone will probably call me on that since I didn't check it :)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Such a fuss. Is it possible this "painting" was a joke to see everybody jump around (mission accomplished)? Are we sure this piece of "art" was actually a serious offer in the first place?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Such a fuss. Is it possible this "painting" was a joke to see everybody jump around (mission accomplished)? Are we sure this piece of "art" was actually a serious offer in the first place?
Well, considering they didn't release it, but it's in the art files, you can at least assume, no, it wasn't some trick. Why they would want to waste time trying to make us upset I don't know. They make us upset no matter what they do, so why put in extra effort?

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't speak too soon, Easter is still three weeks away. :eyes:

Personally, yes, there seems to be a lot of diatribes and analyzation here (I pitched in too), but Lucky's right about one thing; it's specious to suggest that it's all just because of an Easter painting.

I've been a fan of Ultima since Ultima III when I was ten years old. I've been a fan of UO since the first teasers appeared in gaming magazines. I'm familiar with the art direction. Almost all my posts on these forums (and nearly 1,000 posts before the forum purge) are supportive toward UO's various teams over the years, including Broadsword. But a real fan isn't in it for the brownie points they might receive by helping to create an echo chamber. You don't need to be an artist to be able to recognize a fictional universe's look and feel, so the team always needs to be open to criticism.

But I also have criticism for some fans, especially Capt. Lucky because of many of his posts. It's hard for me to click "like" on almost any criticism around Stratics because it's so often acidic, laced with sarcastic remarks and lots of lols. I'm not here to make game developers feel bad. Yes it's a service, and we're customers, but be an adult about it. Constructive criticism can be a positive process. There's a whole Internet of guides out there, filled with tips and advice about critical thinking and constructive criticism. Google it.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
No matter how much you hate the bunny...at least my favorite spring masterpieces didn't make the list...aren't ya glad I am not a DEV?
Cause I think these go perfect with UO and should grace every castle wall :)

The Gamer/male avatar from EC upon his throne.

I also present, the NOOB in Bleu

And for the roleplayers - A Portrait of Mary Sue, Queen of All

And here's me! telling everyone how to fix everything wrong with the game :)

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Personally, yes, there seems to be a lot of diatribes and analyzation here (I pitched in too), but Lucky's right about one thing; it's specious to suggest that it's all just because of an Easter painting.

I've been a fan of Ultima since Ultima III when I was ten years old. I've been a fan of UO since the first teasers appeared in gaming magazines. I'm familiar with the art direction. Almost all my posts on these forums (and nearly 1,000 posts before the forum purge) are supportive toward UO's various teams over the years, including Broadsword. But a real fan isn't in it for the brownie points they might receive by helping to create an echo chamber. You don't need to be an artist to be able to recognize a fictional universe's look and feel, so the team always needs to be open to criticism.

But I also have criticism for some fans, especially Capt. Lucky because of many of his posts. It's hard for me to click "like" on almost any criticism around Stratics because it's so often acidic, laced with sarcastic remarks and lots of lols. I'm not here to make game developers feel bad. Yes it's a service, and we're customers, but be an adult about it. Constructive criticism can be a positive process. There's a whole Internet of guides out there, filled with tips and advice about critical thinking and constructive criticism. Google it.
I'd prefer they learned their job over me learning psychology. Because they seem to really not care how much sunshine we blow around. I've learned that the lol's and smileys are necessary. Not crazy about them either. But it seems here one is forced to. I've heard so many times, over and over, about how upset I was, how angry I was, and nothing could be farther from the truth. I see stupid and I'm like a dog on a bone with it. Because I'm persistent people think I'm angry. I'll repeat nothing could be farther from the truth. It is like telling a joke, then saying "Hey that's a joke". That does suck. Because the internet works that way and people read it anyway they want with any tone they want. I'm all about cheer leading. I'd love to praise Broadsword or whoever they can get next to get UO on track. Nothing would make me happier.

But it starts out, "Hey that art didn't really fit into the theme of UO". Nothing happens. Next publish perspective is totally off. "Hey we talked about the art last publish, we really need to keep it in the theme of UO". Next publish we get a five foot coffee pot, cartoon looking fluffy trees, the sundial they were badgered into fixing, or some other neon looking trees. This cycle continues for years with them totally ignoring the community until it becomes "Listen you idiots, fire the lead and artist! You clearly have no idea what your doing!". Okay maybe that's a little extreme, granted! But that's the way it flows. It's the perpetual repetition of the same mistakes and lack of commitment to the communities wishes that feedback gets escalated in tone. I've seen them do some awesome art of late. Then they turn around and release some cartoon looking thing with the wrong perspective. THEN defend it in a published newsletter to all subscribers. It's just completely insane. Is Friday martini lunch day and they do art Friday afternoon? I have no idea what the problem is, but they have a major problem. Is the "good artist" working DAoC right now and they have to get by the best they can? I just can't figure out how a team can draw something top notch awesome and right next to it release something that looks like 3rd grade work. Maybe we should be able to pick 2 as a compromise? Okay we'll accept cartoon looking art if the perspective is right and it fits into the theme of UO? Okay we'll accept the perspective being off if we get well drawn textured art that's fits into UO?

I'm retired. I'm old school. In my day you did your job or got out. We didn't have this thing where people rubbed your back, gave ya a certificate of appreciation to hang on the wall, and spent years with someone hoping they would catch on someday. I've noticed they've been advertising for job openings forever, so maybe they're stuck with what they got. I was basically a construction supervisor in a government setting. My people learned their job or they got fired. They did the exact same job over and over again till they got it right. Nothing slid by because we just wanted to say we kicked something out and it was done. Sure I was a *insert word here* (surprise!), but my crew got into the habit of doing high quality work, the first time. And they were proud of their work. I've been gone from there a few years now and the tradition continues. It's just old school work ethic. I think BS needs that. A firm no nonsense leader that gets it done. When your a leader sadly your not there to make friends. If your employees are all your buddies, you got a problem. That's just the way it is. It all rolls down from the top and there's no other way to look at it. One instance sure, even 2 or 3 really noticeable fails... but as it is now it's just spun to the point where someone has lost control or motivation and seems to be indifferent to do it right. I could deal with a dev post where they said "HAHA we made a funny!", but at this point I really don't think that's the case. Was that the positive supportive kinda thing you were looking for? Not sure.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think people in this thread have probably gone overboard with the sarcasm and vitriol, I absolutely think it's just fine to speak out about whether or not you like any aspect of the game, art included. How else will they know we do or don't want something?

Like I said before, I don't care if the add in the bunny picture... I would however prefer a plant or something a with a bit wider appeal.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm retired. I'm old school. In my day you did your job or got out. We didn't have this thing where people rubbed your back, gave ya a certificate of appreciation to hang on the wall, and spent years with someone hoping they would catch on someday. I've noticed they've been advertising for job openings forever, so maybe they're stuck with what they got. I was basically a construction supervisor in a government setting. My people learned their job or they got fired.
Well, I think the problem people here have with you view here (and the tone of the view you sometimes have on other topics as well) is that it's an objective one, not a subjective one. You are saying the are IS bad. The person doing it IS doing it incorrectly. That's really not the case. You may not like it, I may not like it, but others might, and do. You may see them as not doing their jobs, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.

As for the bunny poster... this isn't the first cartoony eastery thing they have given us, and many of the others went over very well.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well, I think the problem people here have with you view here (and the tone of the view you sometimes have on other topics as well) is that it's an objective one, not a subjective one. You are saying the are IS bad. The person doing it IS doing it incorrectly. That's really not the case. You may not like it, I may not like it, but others might, and do. You may see them as not doing their jobs, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.

As for the bunny poster... this isn't the first cartoony eastery thing they have given us, and many of the others went over very well.
I really don't think the cartoon art has gone over very well. From the posts and threads I've seen in the past. I follow this as closely as anyone. I'd like to hear about an acceptable example of cartoon art. They need to at the very least maintain the same perspective UO has had for 18 years. At the very minimum. That's what Mesanna actually addressed in her newsletter. That they have a hard time matching art that they were able to do 20 years ago. Absurd. There's no way that is professional and looks good to have the game one perspective and the new art another. The perspective on the bunny seems to look right, I'll give it that. Now if they centered it correctly or if it's able to be raised off the floor, etc, I don't know. It's really not a stretch for everyone to see the perspective issue. Some, not all, but a lot of the art of late the art is done poorly and incorrectly. It's true. If the art doesn't fit the game for several different reasons, it's wrong. I guess a person could possibly say Hitler did a great job of unifying Germany. My personal opinion is Hitler overall did some things that were really really bad. I suppose we could debate that from perspective. Not calling anyone Hitler or Nazis or anything, don't freak out on me. I'm just saying anything, no matter how insane, can be debated.

For some cartoon like facebook game, the bunny is dead on. For UO it's another trash bin filler. In my poorly done poll (I admit) half the game doesn't even care about the art, they should be excited, not apathetic. Another roughly 25% think it's wrong. Only 25% actually approve. When only 25% of the game thinks you nailed it or it's good enough that suggests a problem to me. I'm really way past the point of kissing butt and dancing around some of these issues tossing sunshine in the air. They don't care, so I don't care. I offer up what I see as a problem and the solution. I think I do that responsibly enough. I'm not banned yet so I must be walking that thin line ok. You want me to list a 1000 things they did right? I could probably do that. But the things they do right isn't the problem. They don't need to make a 1000 things wrong, just a few things better.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are saying the are IS bad. The person doing it IS doing it incorrectly. That's really not the case. You may not like it, I may not like it, but others might, and do. You may see them as not doing their jobs, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.
Art direction is one of the largest factors driving any fantasy MMORPG's ambiance. Initially we're attracted to these fantasy universes for their look and feel. Thus, a recognizable brand will have less to sell the more that it becomes diluted by content unrelated to its setting.

The curse of franchises like UO is human shortsightedness about this. Eventually, fans become creators and feel the urge, and can't seem to resist, injecting unrelated bits of things into that universe for very in-the-moment reasons. As a succession of creators dilute a brand, people begin to discern a parody or caricature that no longer has an allure and character all its own, and the brand's value begins to erode.

People will be lured by different aspects of the setting, but that's where subjectivity ends. There has to remain a known and defined direction, the more faithful, the more profitable. I think Capt. Lucky--in his own way of course--is showing some concern about this. People are driven by nature to put their own personal mark on things, especially when it's cute or adorable. So creators must remain aware of that situation, because it can be a very real challenge to abstain from doing it at the expense of the brand that it's their job to sell. Creators have to remember what attracted audiences to a setting in the first place, and that's not entirely up to interpretation. It's printed in black and white in design documents.

Last edited: