• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bunny Picture Poll

Thoughts on the now famous bunny picture?

• It's fine. It's a gift, be thankful!

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I really don't care.

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • It's hideous and has no place in UO

Votes: 18 26.1%

• Total voters

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
EasterPainting.jpg

I'm just wondering if it's just me or what. So I'm interested in what people think about this. Thanks Dot for the pic.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I've seen other more hideous house decorations. You don't have to display it in your home.

No one is forcing you to look at this painting, unlike the recent runebook change.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah but I'm a rares/deco kinda guy. It's been a long time now since they've given a "gift" (Of course it's not a gift, we pay for it) I can actually display (other than the marble tables I love). They're either hideous or the perspective is all off or something. I pay like everyone else. When is my turn to see something cool? I've been waiting. Been waiting a looong time. I wanna trade, collect, have fun with the gifts. It seems the more we call them on it the worse they get lol. It's just insanely out of hand imho :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 44092

I'm just wondering if it's just me or what. So I'm interested in what people think about this. Thanks Dot for the pic.
I voted I don't care. I almost always trash or give away, or just toss in a box the gifts, as the graphics rarely appeal to me.

If someone wants to put a picture of some nutty bunnies in their house, that's their look out.

Speaking of... :D

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not loving and not hating it, in fact I could care less since it has no effect on my game. What I do notice in the pic is that like so much art over the last few years this appears to not sit right in the tiles and is sitting on half of two tiles.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I know, I know, HAHAHA Lucky is having a hissy fit over the bunny painting! Which is slightly true, but not my intent at all. My intent, especially with the excuses made in Newsletter #3 is this, THIS is the way our art is headed. Cartoon like, totally wrong perspective, lack of texture, or as in this case just really strange lol, etc If your fine with that, cool. But I feel if we don't make noise about it, it's just gonna keep on coming. A part of me kinda thinks this is just a screw you to the players because of all the stink we've been kicking up over the art for the last few years. "We're Broadsword, we do whatever we want". How do we go from a cute like tiger cub statue to that painting? lol I'm guessing after the expansion the "real" artist had to work on DAoC for awhile. They probably made Kyronix or someone who's never done art do it? I dunno. But keep churning it out Broadsword, I'll keep posting :p

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
we don't know for sure this is an Easter gift.

but i was thinking... it would be hilarious if the EM's held an 'Easter Event' and the painting was the drop. suddenly the value of the painting would go from worthless to millions.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looking at this makes me think that it would be cool if they could utilize the canvases/easels for us to actually be able to draw our own art (e.g. double clicking a easel with canvas would open up a simple MS paint like gump) and then being able to hang the finished paintings up in our own homes. They could make this feature as dynamic as they want such as offering rare colors/paints, various canvas size, etc...

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you get a painting as a gift? All I saw was a post that someone made of artwork found in the publish. I have yet to see this painting or receive any gift at all. So I selected I don't care. I can't understand how you can have a poll about something we haven't even gotten.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Art and graphics have never been my thing but I agree the picture is subpar.

However, since it really has no bearing on my gameplay I don't really care.

It would be similar to the potted trees for Christmas. If they're not worth turn in points, it'll go on the ground for someone who might want it to pick it up.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Every time I see posts like this I am astonished.

This
The difference being that was a gift. UO doesn't really have gifts, it's content we payed for. Now if someone at Broadsword tells me they stayed after work and did it for no pay. Then I'd say thank you and toss it in the trash. Hopefully this is an EM drop. Then I won't be seeing it around much ;) Even if I toss mine out I'm still gonna have to look at it sooner or later :( The kid is spoiled but I get it. Poor parents don't listen to their kids. They raised her that way. He bought whatever he could get a deal on. If she had her heart set on blue I highly doubt a blue one would cost that much more. If my daughter really wanted a blue car I think I could pull off a blue car. It is sort of relevant in that Broadsword doesn't listen to us either ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Looking at this makes me think that it would be cool if they could utilize the canvases/easels for us to actually be able to draw our own art (e.g. double clicking a easel with canvas would open up a simple MS paint like gump) and then being able to hang the finished paintings up in our own homes. They could make this feature as dynamic as they want such as offering rare colors/paints, various canvas size, etc...
That's one of those things that sounds great in an ideal world but not UO. I'm sure it would turn into a contest to paint the most obscene looking profane thing possible :p "I hate Broadsword" posters and such lol

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's one of those things that sounds great in an ideal world but not UO. I'm sure it would turn into a contest to paint the most obscene looking profane thing possible :p "I hate Broadsword" posters and such lol
True, it crossed my mind; but at this point you have people already customizing their home tops in a way so you can see drawings or words on the map where they'd have an opportunity to do that kind of thing, but rarely done.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is there ANOTHER thread about this?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Why is there ANOTHER thread about this?
Because people hashed it around but I wanted to see some real numbers about how people felt. Any further questions feel free to ask. :) Surprisingly to me most people just don't care and I think that attitude is spilling over into the game. Naturally if this were some tamer issue or whatever I probably wouldn't care either. lol

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
we don't even know what it's for or even IF they intend on using it for anything.....

I personally love it, it's super cute and I want one :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't really understand why people are obsessing on this. If you don't like the bunny painting, no one is forcing you to use it. I picked the "I really don't care" option. I probably won't be using them in my house, but I respect that some people do like them and will be using them. It's like a real life painting, some people like it and some don't. It doesn't mean it's a "bad" painting just because not everyone likes it.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
so your saying a gaming community isnt worthy of being called a society? i suppose maybe your right. but thats a bit depressing for those who make uo a part of theirs lives.
Well, no one makes UO "part of their lives". If every player played alone on their own shard, there wouldn't even be a game. People add UO in their lives for the people they meet in it. If that quote were to apply to anything, it would be the tolerance of poor behavior and griefing within the game that happens towards other REAL people.

This quote is not even closely comparable to not concerning yourself with virtual artwork in a 2d online game, one that is generally lacking in ALL artwork. I have more important things to spend my lack of tolerance on. This image of a bunny will not matter to anyone in 10 years.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love all the equivocation people use to gloss over the fact that this is apparently what the devs think we'd want for a "gift."

But let's break this down...

"It's a gift!" No, no it isn't. As has been pointed out, you don't (generally) pay for your own gifts. It's "content." Content that looks like it was plagiarized from the cover of a toddler's Easter coloring book. ToL was a gift, upgrading all accounts to AoS was a gift...

"They might not even use it!" :facepalm: So they're going to have Onifirk slave over that pastel monstrosity for literally tens of minutes...and then not use it? Since the community response have been somewhat backlashy, that is a possibility...but would make the devs look a bit childish. Plus its still in the art files.

UO's art is a hot-button topic. So hot that they put a perspective lesson in the newsletter (regardless of the fact that their argument is completely incongruous with over a decade of prior art, or the fact that only a sphere should look like a proper circle in UO, seeing as we aren't looking down at the apex of our avatar's heads...but that's a different rant...) Anyway, as the client wars have revealed, people have somewhat static views of what art is. That bunny painting so totally not UO.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
She kinda is I think.
There are currently somewhere between 90-100 cats on display in my castle. Most are Valentine kittens, but there are a fair number of Halloween cats, several Mesanna cats, and a few much rarer EM item cats. That's not counting the ones in my Zento house or my auction house...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are currently somewhere between 90-100 cats on display in my castle. Most are Valentine kittens, but there are a fair number of Halloween cats, several Mesanna cats, and a few much rarer EM item cats. That's not counting the ones in my Zento house or my auction house...
image.png

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
remind me not to quote someone who likes arguing for the sake of arguing. that reminds me, wheres Zog Historian been? i think he would probably agree with you.
tl;dr

giggles is right.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know man. I really don't know. Actually, I think the moment I saw somebody expressing a lot of excitement for this, my heart softened up about it. I'm only human, but I really try to avoid putting my own biases on a pedestal.

Then again, I know something about MMOs that Aristotle didn't. No, I don't think the first dev team or even the second or the third or the fourth would have put the asset in question into the game. Of course they wouldn't have. UO always had a certain aesthetic; like with most big MMOs, in its peak days it was a very recognizable aesthetic, undoubtedly important to the brand.

But if you want to get philosophical about it (as you do)--I've been fascinated by this industry for years, I've read lots of Nick Yee and Raph Koster for fun--my own personal observation has been that every franchise eventually falls into a parody of itself.

And once a little bit of self-aware content makes it out into the game world--indeed, often owing to one real-world holiday or another, that's a very common gateway drug--the cute just never stops. You can't kill it; there's no escaping it, no use quoting Aristotle, one bit of cute will always beget more, well, like bunnies. Maybe there's some scientific explanation for that, probably involving entropy or something. I don't know. But I've seen MMORPGs hit "Entropy Level Bunnies And Rainbows" in just A MERE FIVE YEARS, so, chin up, we did pretty good here.

:heart:

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was actually a feature that made it into some early planning stages (I think during Gordon Walton's reign), but they ultimately decided, well, basically not to give thousands of subscribers the ability to paint genitalia all over Britannia.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't vote because I'm still skeptical this isn't an urban myth or just somebody playing around

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Hey watch the crazy cat lady comments! Just kidding!

I love this place! So full of insanity and funny forum fights.
We've had Tram vs. Fel flame wars, CC vs. EC, Siege vs. Prodo shards, Pick your Peeve about the EM program, and now we have The Who Hates the Easter Bunny pic poll?

I say yeah, not my favorite art in the game but I love ya anyway :) I'll have to build a fridge in my keep to hang it on!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
So your interested in my hissing cat of mirza? I think it's mirza, something like that? You could breed a line of hissy cats!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't really understand why people are obsessing on this. If you don't like the bunny painting, no one is forcing you to use it. I picked the "I really don't care" option. I probably won't be using them in my house, but I respect that some people do like them and will be using them. It's like a real life painting, some people like it and some don't. It doesn't mean it's a "bad" painting just because not everyone likes it.
As Dot said so well. No one would choke on a lone bunny paining. It's just a prime example of what the hell... lol. It's the path art has been headed down for awhile now. The fact Mesanna thinks it's perfectly proper to change the art perspective 18 years into the game. Cause that's gonna work! It's another straw dropping on the camel's back. Among the straws this is a branch. I regret you don't care, but I really do care. Not because of the bunny as much as watching UO art heading down the toilet, the toilet we were promised and never got :p When I see art being aded to the game that *I* could do, trust me that's a problem. For 2 years I've been ignoring art and throwing things away. I honestly don't feel this should be the case. How about art where one says. "Hey that really looks good! It really fits into UO!". Would that end the game? Would it be that horrible for that to happen every now and then? At least put a crown on the rabbit or something UO like ;)

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like it. Now you have done it, no bunnies ever again for us. !!! Maybe...

The sundial was fixed. It looks very nice to me. He created that awesome lighthouse. I still have faith in him. I think scale issues are because after art is created it is outsourced to complete. Or not.

As far as Mesanna doing exactly what she wants to anytime, anyplace, right now she can.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I like it. Now you have done it, no bunnies ever again for us. !!! Maybe...

The sundial was fixed. It looks very nice to me. He created that awesome lighthouse. I still have faith in him. I think scale issues are because after art is created it is outsourced to complete. Or not.

As far as Mesanna doing exactly what she wants to anytime, anyplace, right now she can.
Oh no! No more bunny pictures ever!?

I'm closing my accounts!!!!......

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe I'm in a bad mood, which is never a good time for me to post.

Why is this even coming up? If this was part of a theme pack that we have to pay for, I could maybe see being upset about it. However, since this could very well magically appear in our packs around Easter, and we'd be paying the exact same amount whether or not it appeared, I can't fathom why this is an issue.

I also find it funny that so many people were upset that we didn't get anything for Valentine's Day. So, for Easter, we might get something, and people are still complaining.

From a game artwork standpoint, it looks like it sits well on the wall, so it's situated correctly. There is no 'isometric view' or 'oblique view' argument that can be made against it. The colors are vibrant, which is different than the normal dreary artwork usually displayed. The subject matter lends itself to only be displayed during the Easter season, so you probably will only see it hanging up during that season. And if someone has it hanging year round, so what?

Guess what? It's artwork, which almost never has a universal appreciation. Get over it and move on.

*takes fanboi cap off and walks away*