• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newsletter #3

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
4. Why can't you increase the window size in the classic client?

When we first investigated this it was discovered by increasing the classic client window size it become a performance issue and visually unacceptable. Since it has been several years we are willing to look at this issue again to see if anything can be done.
Would love this! Thank you Devs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
lol a few people will be eating crow after this newsletter.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First we are putting an in game store for in game items. You will be able to go to the Origin store to buy a currency used only in gameSovereign. You will no longer be sent a code to put in game, you will be able to purchase in game only items from a gump on your paperdoll and have it placed into your backpack. You will be able to purchase more than one item at a time now and as many as you want. Woot!

So now we have to go to Origin Store and buy special currency to use in UO In-Game Store, EA still controls the purse strings. Hope we can still buy UO stuff at Origin Store also.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
First we are putting an in game store for in game items. You will be able to go to the Origin store to buy a currency used only in gameSovereign. You will no longer be sent a code to put in game, you will be able to purchase in game only items from a gump on your paperdoll and have it placed into your backpack. You will be able to purchase more than one item at a time now and as many as you want. Woot!

So now we have to go to Origin Store and buy special currency to use in UO In-Game Store, EA still controls the purse strings. Hope we can still buy UO stuff at Origin Store also.
They're not the first game to use indirect currency to buy stuff in game. It's not a bad system, really.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They're not the first game to use indirect currency to buy stuff in game. It's not a bad system, really.
Didn't say if it was good or bad, just stated the facts that you still have to deal with Origin/EA and as I have never had the problems with the store as others do I just hope that we can still get UO stuff at the store. For me this just adds other steps in getting stuff. Hopefully Origin will still do sales once in awhile because I dought UO In-Game Store ever will.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Didn't say if it was good or bad, just stated the facts that you still have to deal with Origin/EA and as I have never had the problems with the store as others do I just hope that we can still get UO stuff at the store. For me this just adds other steps in getting stuff.
I apologize then for jumping to conclusions. I do think not having to deal with codes is a good thing. I think I've read that the codes don't always work. Maybe this will stop that. It also allows a person to buy the sovereigns when they do have money and use them later when they might be more strapped for cash. It has potential at least.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't say if it was good or bad, just stated the facts that you still have to deal with Origin/EA and as I have never had the problems with the store as others do I just hope that we can still get UO stuff at the store. For me this just adds other steps in getting stuff. Hopefully Origin will still do sales once in awhile because I dought UO In-Game Store ever will.
As long as the "Sovereign" price isn't exorbitant, the extra step should allow BS to set the prices for items/expansions/etc at more reasonable prices...at least theoretically.

Who wants to bet we'll still get screwed when it comes to Origin sales? :sad3:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't get why they are talking about a spring contest, since spring is a long way away and autumn is just around the corner. :p

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sovereigns in-game? .....hmm I really don't think UO's security is strong enough for this.
Say you buy 1000 from Origin, they are sent in-game and stored till used.
Now what's to stop somebody hacking an account (like they did ALOT when UO items made real cash) and sending said items on to others accounts.
Drop the item in a wooden box onto the floor....axe the box and the item drops out, no longer tracked from original purchase account.

Oh yes I see UO becoming real popular again........with Hackers not new players ;)

As for the larger play screen.....yeah after several years of being told it's not possible, i'll believe it when I see it.
And still no mention of the Account management system.......

Ariel Hardy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This make me afraid, REALLY AFRAID.

I will tell why:

In my country the price of items in store are lower then the us stores, we are a poor country, so pay less make sense, but if they make this change, will the price increase for me?

actually i pay 29USD for a 180 days gametime, if the price go to 60USD i will need find another game

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how long before sovereigns are duped like million dollar checks are.....????
So the guy in customer service wasnt really wrong....they are moving to F2P...
First they create the store to generate income....
then if successful....they extend the 14 day trail to indefinite trail....
you then buy an upgrade code with Sovs :)

No complaints here...at least they are getting off their collective arses to do SOMETHING!

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
4. Why can't you increase the window size in the classic client?

When we first investigated this it was discovered by increasing the classic client window size it become a performance issue and visually unacceptable. Since it has been several years we are willing to look at this issue again to see if anything can be done.
seriously? there's a third party program that can do this perfectly fine right now as we speak - what the hell are they talking about - this has worked just fine for years - lol

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I apologize then for jumping to conclusions. I do think not having to deal with codes is a good thing. I think I've read that the codes don't always work. Maybe this will stop that. It also allows a person to buy the sovereigns when they do have money and use them later when they might be more strapped for cash. It has potential at least.
I can see the advantages to both and I hope like hell they keep both.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Are sovereigns going to be in game items?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as the "Sovereign" price isn't exorbitant, the extra step should allow BS to set the prices for items/expansions/etc at more reasonable prices...at least theoretically.

Who wants to bet we'll still get screwed when it comes to Origin sales? :sad3:
The Sovereign will be a set price that EA will collect not UO and the prices will be the same as on the Origin, EA not BS controls all real money.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The chance of these being "physical" items, thus dupable, is less than zero.

The Sovereign will be a set price that EA will collect not UO and the prices will be the same as on the Origin, EA not BS controls all real money.
Right... Origin will set the sovereign price, but BS will probably be the ones setting the prices on the in game store.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would assume Sovs will only be available through EA and will be directly added to currency accounts in your bank...as in you have 500 million gold,,2 platinum and 4 Sovereigns

that would make duping much harder

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
seriously? there's a third party program that can do this perfectly fine right now as we speak - what the hell are they talking about - this has worked just fine for years - lol
I just change my screen resolution, I know peps will whine because of an extra step to play.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
They will likely be codes that will credit your account an amount of sovereigns. Much akin to how gold works now once it is in the bank.
It is an interesting system and all, but I do worry about the availability of the sovereign codes across Origin stores around the world. After all, King's collection is still limited to a very few select stores, Brazil still doesn't have Stygian Abyss, Oceania still lacks High Seas and so on.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but anyone that doesnt see this as the first steps toward F2P is a bloody fool.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to inform everyone of a change the Origin store has made. Depending on how many items you have purchased it could take up to 72 hours before Origin sends you your codes. This is due increased fraud protection. If you do not get your code within that time period please contact myself or [email protected]. You can also contact Origin and talk to their help line for assistance.
I hope a certain third party site is ramping up for increased sales...cause a lot of us want to receive stuff when we pay for it. Just sayin..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right... Origin will set the sovereign price, but BS will probably be the ones setting the prices on the in game store.
BS will charge the same price for an item as Origin you just may not have to pay taxes. Lets hope that this is account bound and not shard bound like our gold is.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
gold isnt shard bound...I transfer gold all the time

BS will be able to adjust prices and sales to stimulate sales of SOVs for EA....this is text book move away from monthly subs :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope a certain third party site is ramping up for increased sales...cause a lot of us want to receive stuff when we pay for it. Just sayin..
Stop using different CCs when buying stuff and have your accounts set up on a 6 mo auto renew like some of us do and have NEVER had this problem.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If BS is smart the could almost destroy most third party sites.....unless the mods are right, and BS does take kickbacks from them

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
gold isnt shard bound...I transfer gold all the time

BS will be able to adjust prices and sales to stimulate sales of SOVs for EA....this is text book move away from monthly subs :)
Your gold is shard bound as you can not get to your gold on Atl if all your gold is setting on your Pac Account. They need to set this up so no matter which shard you log on to it is always there with no need to xfer it like your gold to different shards.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't get why they are talking about a spring contest, since spring is a long way away and autumn is just around the corner. :p
That depends on what side of the world you are on. April showers bring May flowers in the US

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read this as being:
Items which are currently purchased via Origin, where Origin emails you a code which then must be input in-game to redeem the item, will be changed.

You will now be able to purchase Sovereigns through Origin, which are tied directly to your account - no email needed-, and then use the Sovereigns to purchase items in game through an interface on your paper doll.

This would indicate to me that any item which currently uses the code redemption system, as opposed to being applied directly to your account, will be moved to the in-game store accessible from your paper doll.

So now we have to go to Origin Store and buy special currency to use in UO In-Game Store
The same basic purchase system we are used to is still there. Right now we have to go to Origin and buy a special code. The new way we will have to go to Origin and buy a special currency. New way just does away with codes and item purchase limits.

Current system:
Go to Origin, choose an item, buy code, have it emailed, and input said code in game to receive the item.

New system:
Go to Origin, buy a Sovereign, have it automatically applied to our account, and choose in game the item we want.

EA still controls the purse strings. Hope we can still buy UO stuff at Origin Store also.
Are you complaining that EA still controls the purse strings, or do you want EA to control the purse strings so you can still buy stuff through Origin?

Drop the item in a wooden box onto the floor....axe the box and the item drops out, no longer tracked from original purchase account.
It sounds like these Sovereigns will be bound to your paperdoll gump in-game store. Not actual items in the game.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this is text book move away from monthly subs [BCOLOR=rgb(204, 205, 205)]:)[/BCOLOR]
Move away from monthly subs, man are you reading a lot into all of this. What is EA/BS/UO going to do with all the current accounts, make us pay for stuff that we already have or just us keep what we have and access it for free.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Move away from monthly subs, man are you reading a lot into all of this. What is EA/BS/UO going to do with all the current accounts, make us pay for stuff that we already have or just us keep what we have and access it for free.
Pretty sure you're dead on with this.

They will give us the option to pay for stuff we can already get.

But maybe theyll throw a few extra items in that arent obtainable I guess.

I am curious to see how this plays out.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was kinda thinking when the mentioned the "in game store" before that it would mean we no longer would have to deal with the horrible origin store!

What about new account management?! I can't believe this is not top priority to them! Is it coming this May?

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The newsletter was the best I've seen.

I hope that the conversion of money to sovereigns doesn't increase the price of items slightly.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I read this as being:
Are you complaining that EA still controls the purse strings, or do you want EA to control the purse strings so you can still buy stuff through Origin?
No I am stating a simple fact that EA will NEVER allow BS to control the purse strings no matter what some people on here is trying to say. There will be items that will not be purchased in game such as anything that the code has to be applied to your master account like game time or expansions.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BS will charge the same price for an item as Origin you just may not have to pay taxes. Lets hope that this is account bound and not shard bound like our gold is.
I doubt it, since Mesanna has said several times how she doesn't like the prices on Origin. I'm thinking she's not going to charge the equivalent in sovereigns.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which text book, TimberWolf? These guys have been writing the "books" for almost 20 years. There is not a game made these days expecting more than 5 years. See? I can just say stuff too.
oh really cause my university text book on video game theory had a couple chapters on the business plan behind moving to F2P and monetizing game items.
UO wrote the original text book and changed the game industry but then got lost in the dust about 10 years ago. And now are all but forgotten.
potentially this is the most exciting thing to hit this game in 10 years easily

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt it, since Mesanna has said several times how she doesn't like the prices on Origin. I'm thinking she's not going to charge the equivalent in sovereigns.
She may or may not like it but EA owns UO not BS and as she may be the producer who is in charge of maintaining UO for BS/EA I dought EA would give BS's CEO or Mesanna to set any prices when it comes to UO or DAoC.