• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which client use?

Which client use?

• Total voters

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why do CC folks have such a hate for EC?
bad graphics.

personally, i dont like it because of its many automated features. take automatically running around trees. thats a huge advantage in pvp. and the 10plus other game-breaking features that the EC has that the CC does not. i dont mind automation of somethings, like menial tasks, but using this to change things that used to require player skill is something id rather not compete against. i tried playing EC to pvp, but just hate the look. i might as well just play another game rather than look at that.

Last edited:

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Old converted EC player here. Several old players in our guild also have converted to the EC for various reasons. In my case it simply makes UO easier to play. I was one of those "you'll pry the CC out of my cold dead hands" types until a RL friend of mine started playing and was using the EC (against my advice, I might add). Since he had lots of questions as a new player I started using the EC to be able to help him. After that the lightbulb went on and now I won't use CC anymore. It's not even installed on my machine. It's a little bit of a joke in our guild that some of us old fuddy duddies have traded in our horse and carts and moved into the combustion engine era, but it's all in good fun. ;)

-P.E.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a little bit of a joke in our guild that some of us old fuddy duddies have traded in our horse and carts and moved into the combustion engine era, but it's all in good fun. ;)

-P.E.
more like traded in your horse and cart and moved to a steam engine powered on coal.

i wouldnt compare EC to anything close to modern. ;) it was dated even when it was released in 2008. its set-up and style is more like 2002, which was a terribly awkard time for gaming in general.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was a CC user and EC hater for a long time, but the functionality and macro system of the EC made me force myself into using it. it took a few months but now i am at the point i hardly ever throw up anymore . . .

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I just can't stand the look of graphics in EC and I don't have the times or patience to relearn how to play a game I'm already happy with it's CC interface. There are actor plenty of new games coming out with the old school look as far as diablo 2 / UO graphics. I was playing Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds which is based off the Age of Empires 2 platform and I swear, if UO had those crisp graphics, it would really rock not to mention the graphic in that game really look like they could easily be UO graphics.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you knew my RL age you wouldn'ta said that. I never knock the CC Client, played with it for years, still play with it in certain instances, why do CC folks have such a hate for EC? I don't understand, you just have your choice that's all there is to it, no feelings, no pain, I just think it makes playing the game easier for me.
We do not have a hate for the EC as much as some EC users have for us by accusing us of holding UO back in the dark ages and calling us jurastics. I would gladly switch to the EC's better UI if it had better graphics and didn't give me headaches all the time. Please before calling all CC haters maybe you EC users should clean your own house first. I personally could care less which client you use because killing either client will kill UO.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still prefer the look of a lot of things in the CC, but the functionality is lacking so much, and also just moving around looks/feels so terrible. So I play EC.

It also helps that I can use my whole monitor and not 30% of it.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
We do not have a hate for the EC as much as some EC users have for us by accusing us of holding UO back in the dark ages and calling us jurastics. I would gladly switch to the EC's better UI if it had better graphics and didn't give me headaches all the time. Please before calling all CC haters maybe you EC users should clean your own house first. I personally could care less which client you use because killing either client will kill UO.
Jurassics...not jurastics.

And I'd love for someone to take over UO and do away with the crap client for good. Yes it's holding the game back.

The reason the EC is in the sorry shape it's in is because support of the CC.

The classic client is UO's mortal wound.

I welcome the day they drop the crap client, all the Jurassics quit, and then something finally be done to get this game looking better and attract some new blood into the game.

Lucky for you, the game is under the influence on another Jurassic 2D Messana (worst thing thing ever to happen to UO is Mesanna), so that's never going to happen unless UO changes ownership.

Meanwhile, the game will continue to go down the tubes.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

And I'd love for someone to take over UO and do away with the crap client for good. Yes it's holding the game back.

I welcome the day they drop the crap client, all the Jurassics quit, and then something finally be done to get this game looking better and attract some new blood into the game.

Lucky for you, the game is under the influence on another Jurassic 2D Messana (worst thing thing ever to happen to UO is Mesanna), so that's never going to happen unless UO changes ownership.

Well excuse the F out of me, well said from a CC Hater, just proved my point didn't you. They day you get your wish is the day they close the door on UO.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well excuse the F out of me, well said from a CC Hater, just proved my point didn't you. They day you get your wish is the day they close the door on UO.
Hey, watch that language. they only allow waffles and pancakes around here!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

:troll:

Becca

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't play it because my majestic dragon looks like a big low crawling lizard

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
bad graphics.

personally, i dont like it because of its many automated features. take automatically running around trees. thats a huge advantage in pvp. and the 10plus other game-breaking features that the EC has that the CC does not. i dont mind automation of somethings, like menial tasks, but using this to change things that used to require player skill is something id rather not compete against. i tried playing EC to pvp, but just hate the look. i might as well just play another game rather than look at that.
Hahahahahaha.... Haha..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

*ahem*

I mean.... really, the #1 reason *most* people are using CC whether they admit it or not is so they can use programs that automate tasks - ala UO Assist or even <Hack Program Here>

Stop lying to yourselves!

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*ahem*

I mean.... really, the #1 reason *most* people are using CC whether they admit it or not is so they can use programs that automate tasks - ala UO Assist or <Hack Program Here>

its really not. yes for pvp maybe because EC has so many more features, but out of most the rares collectors i know use it for how things look, the graphic, and stocking vendors. some rares dont even have correct hue or sound in EC.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
its really not. yes for pvp maybe because EC has so many more features, but out of most the rares collectors i know use it for how things look, the graphic, and stocking vendors. some rares dont even have correct hue or sound in EC.
That's why I said *most* Smoot, I know some people love that nostalgic feeling but for the vast majority they are just cheats. Are you also saying you do NOT use UOA and its automated features.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Pull your head back out into the sunshine and check out reality, you've lost touch with it oh EC fan. ;)
Hahaha, right back at you. You must be blind not to see why *most* people are using CC still. Maybe you are one of few leftovers of a dying age... maybe.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

*ahem*

I mean.... really, the #1 reason *most* people are using CC whether they admit it or not is so they can use programs that automate tasks - ala UO Assist or <Hack Program Here>

I'd be interested what this is based on. How did the numbers stack up? How many people did you poll? What is the error of margin in your study? How long did it take you?.... or perhaps your basing your opinion on a limited experiance? Surely you don't know every person in uo personally do you? What about the japanese shards? Do they also only use the cc only to cheat?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's why I said *most* Smoot, I know some people love that nostalgic feeling but for the vast majority they are just cheats. Are you also saying you do NOT use UOA and its automated features.
yeah i actually dont even use that anymore. i used to but dont even have it on my computer. theres really no need for it for deco and pvm, which is why the majority of players play UO nowadays.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
A friendly reminder here that it is against Stratics rules to name illegal cheat programs, as we do not wish to give any publicity or advertisement (inadvertent though it may be) to such programs. A few posts in this thread have had the cheat program names removed. It's okay to discuss the existence and impact of such programs, but please don't name specific ones. Thanks!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The curiosity comes over me.
Which client use? :)
Only time I have used the EC was in house placement. I really don't care for all the extra movement in the game.

One thing I really hate about the EC is when someone stocks a vendor using it, someone using CC looks at that vendor and all they see is everything stacked on top of everything. When I hit vendor like this I just walk away. If you are going to play EC, fine, at least stock your dang Vendors in CC so we can buy stuff off it, or just put a few items on it and be careful to not place to close,

Last edited:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*ahem*

I mean.... really, the #1 reason *most* people are using CC whether they admit it or not is so they can use programs that automate tasks - ala UO Assist or even <Hack Program Here>

Your just to naive to not think people cant use programs in the EC. You can run any script in the EC as you can the CC you just need to know what program to use. I can give you a cloth to wipe the egg off your face if needed:pie:

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Your just to naive to not think people cant use programs in the EC. You can run any script in the EC as you can the CC you just need to know what program to use. I can give you a cloth to wipe the egg off your face if needed:pie:
You have no idea what I know about EC - I'm only stating the reason most people still use CC. So keep that cloth for yourself :)

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Funny how people complain about the bad graphics of the EC when there taken right out of the CC.

Straight out of the CC and into the EC.

The EC looks terrible!

Yeah NS..it's the $%%^^^ CC graphics...that's why....same ugly art going back to Ultima 8: Pagan circa 1994.

And people wonder why this game can't attract new players.:coco:

Crap Client is the one with the bad graphics, and support of the CC is why game looks emptier, and emptier each passing year.

Bravo Mesanna!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let me be the first to welcome you to the internet. Facts have no place here!
Guess I'm not one to change how I think based on where I am... It's foolish to generalize a large portion of the player base (which btw is currently up by 17 votes) on any subject let alone cheating.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Guess I'm not one to change how I think based on where I am... It's foolish to generalize a large portion of the player base (which btw is currently up by 17 votes) on any subject let alone cheating.
Buddy, you're on an internet forum about a video game... everything posted here is someone's opinion. Maybe you should go back to editing Wikipedia articles or whatever it is that is you do on the internet.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyone who knows me knows I play on the EC only. Why? I enjoy the advanced functions of it. Equipping entire suits instantly with one button, faster speed, more interface user friendly, making macros is easy, the list really goes on.
The graphics is something I am not too fond of, but I have gotten use to it. I don't play UO for the nostalgia, I play it to spend time with some friends and get my pvp fix.

From a business perspective, its important to invest time into the client which will appeal to new players. I doubt anyone 100% new will be able to understand, or even want to fuss with the complication of the Classic Client. The in game map is awful, macros? icons? I mean honestly, if you never played UO before, there is no way in hell you would start now in the classic client without someone helping you. CC is on life support to appease the people who value the nostalgia over all else. I think its unreasonable for our skeleton team to invest big time and resources into making two completely different game engines more modern.

So that's why I made the choice to begin playing the client that was more user friendly and more modern. But yes, its not exactly pretty to look at.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I doubt anyone 100% new will be able to understand, or even want to fuss with the complication of the Classic Client. The in game map is awful, macros? icons? I mean honestly, if you never played UO before, there is no way in hell you would start now in the classic client without someone helping you.
It's an absolute Travesty that a first time player might to accidentally download the CC client via the Client Download – Ultima Online page. Short sighted doesn't even come close to describing those in charge of the game. No vision for UO whatsoever, and nothing, not a damn thing to try and pump some life in the game under the current leadership ( For 5+ years), propel UO into the future, and extend it's life as an MMORPG by attracting new players.

It's one terrible decision after another...

Messana is UOs Grim Reaper.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny how people complain about the bad graphics of the EC when there taken right out of the CC.

Straight out of the CC and into the EC.

The EC looks terrible!
The reason the CC graphics look bad in the EC is because the EC code screws them up a bit, it's video setup doesn't work well. Needs to be redone by a UI programmer with a clue.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's an absolute Travesty that a first time player might to accidentally download the CC client via the Client Download – Ultima Online page.
Yeah, right, it's a real travesty if a new player downloads the CC client that works well, they should be guided right to the EC and see how messed up it is so they write off UO as a badly made game. Great idea ... :rolleyes:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The reason the CC graphics look bad in the EC is because the EC code screws them up a bit, it's video setup doesn't work well. Needs to be redone by a UI programmer with a clue.
It's because it's the same art attempting to be displayed at a resolution from this millennium.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Let's take a look at how bad the CC looks. It's abysmal...
Then we can compare with the EC, and a few KR shots for fun. KR may not have been the be all end all, but it was a step in the right direction. A step towards higher resolution.

EC - looks like hell because it's CC all over again. Yet the CCers still aren't happy. Neither are the ECers. I hate the EC..I play it, but I hate it because it CC with a better UI.

KR- Ah my good old KR! How I miss it!

One more Kingdom Reborn for fun. Them fireplaces are lookin' pretty nice. Love me some high resolution.

I mean c'mon folks. Look at that CC client, and you wonder why the game can't attract new players. It's Fugly. Also, notice the EC client....the graphics from the EC are right out of the CC, but "they hurt my eyes".Really!? :rolleyes:

The CC client hurts my eyes.:next:...look at that first screenshot...yuck. You jurassics are stuck in a time warp man..to each his own I get that, but I find it sad...very sad.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean c'mon folks. Look at that CC client, and you wonder why the game can't attract new players. It's Fugly. Also, notice the EC client....the graphics from the EC are right out of the CC, but "they hurt my eyes".Really!? :rolleyes:
Yeah, that nice clean uncluttered CC game screen without all the crap cluttering it like the EC has, piled on top of the shoddy graphics. No wonder so many checked out the EC and went back to the CC.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Nice & Clean!? CC is a blurry mess! An absolute joke that it's still being supported.

"The CC client is UO's mortal wound".:(

Don't you guys just love theses threads...there entertaining if nothing else.

We can repeat this conversation in next months thread.:D

What I get a kick out of...is the CCers bagging on the EC client. It's like their complaining about their own client.

The irony is certainly not lost on me.

People use the EC because they want something else, anything else, than that garbage posted in the first screenshot.

CC client is a giant noose around the neck of UO.

Last edited:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, that nice clean uncluttered CC game screen without all the crap cluttering it like the EC has, piled on top of the shoddy graphics. No wonder so many checked out the EC and went back to the CC.
You do realize that almost all that "clutter" is optional to have on screen just like the CC? It only covers the screen because the EC isn't required to be 70% blank space on modern monitors at native resolution. And you can also have icons out without covering the screen because the window is resizable.

The ONLY valid complaint against the EC visually is mobile models. Everything static is identical to the CC.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It only covers the screen because the EC isn't required to be 70% blank space on modern monitors at native resolution.
I run my desktop at 1600x900 to get at least phone book sized text. Youngsters may not mind minuscule text, we older folks like something a bit larger. The CC covers a good 3/4 of the screen.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You do realize that almost all that "clutter" is optional to have on screen just like the CC?
Even with my clutter I have twice the real estate the jurassics do.:D

Let's take a comparison look. Tell me how I did folks...I think it's pretty close...

Jurassics are playing in a box. It's like playing in a phonebooth. :lol::coco:

http://i64.***********/29lk6iv.png

Last edited:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run my desktop at 1600x900 to get at least phone book sized text. Youngsters may not mind minuscule text, we older folks like something a bit larger. The CC covers a good 3/4 of the screen.
At 1920x1080 (standard for today) it takes up MAYBE 1/4 of the screen.

Do the math if you'd like.