• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Virtuebane now unbeatable

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We get him down to about 600 hp, then he regenerates up to 1000 or so, repeatedly, without end.
This is not fun.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just solo'd Shadowguard like 6 times, I didn't have any problems with it.

you must be using a tamer (pets do horrible damage), It's not worth dealing with very little or no spawn because of the time it takes for pets to kill that boss & Anon (IMO).

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isnt that a timer thing?
There's no timer on "The Roof" at least if there is, it's longer than 2 hours which is how long it took me to solo it the first time I did it... before I knew most/all the mechanics of the encounter.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We get him down to about 600 hp, then he regenerates up to 1000 or so, repeatedly, without end.
This is not fun.
I've had this a few times when he spawns with high physical resist it can be a pretty much endless fight (if using a tamer).

You need to use WoD or try a bettle + mare with a GD combo.

What template were you using?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you must be using a tamer (pets do horrible damage), It's not worth dealing with very little or no spawn because of the time it takes for pets to kill that boss & Anon (IMO).
No way man! I love taking a tamer down there. 8 minutes is our best so far on Virtuebane. Thats a total clean run with zero spawn. If you don't mind some spawn it can be done faster!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've had this a few times when he spawns with high physical resist it can be a pretty much endless fight (if using a tamer).

You need to use WoD or try a bettle + mare with a GD combo.

What template were you using?
Beetle is dead in 10 seconds.... not worth taking them anywhere anymore unless you have a level 3 primer and a bunch of tricks up your sleeve a beetle while a wonderful pet 10 years ago is crap anymore.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Beetle is dead in 10 seconds.... not worth taking them anywhere anymore unless you have a level 3 primer and a bunch of tricks up your sleeve a beetle while a wonderful pet 10 years ago is crap anymore.
Let someone else get their pet(s) on first before you sic the rune on. I take mine all the time and he dies very seldom. Yes, I have level 3 tamer primer but never use it, don't like to not be able to invis so i don't use the pet buffs there but I do feed 'em tasty treats.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No way man! I love taking a tamer down there. 8 minutes is our best so far on Virtuebane. Thats a total clean run with zero spawn. If you don't mind some spawn it can be done faster!
How do you intentionally avoid spawn?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
o Back in November, we could get Virtuebane with two greater dragons.
o Virtuebane was then changed to cheat on two dragons so that when he got down to 4%, he would regenerate to 8% repeatedly. Eventually we figured out that two dragons + death ray could take him.
Three dragons could easily take him.
o Yesterday, we tried two dragons + death ray. No love. So we tried three dragons, and three dragons + death ray. Nope, did not work at all, he was regenerating.

@Bleak @Kyronix
This super magical hp regeneration but only when hp is very low thing is so much fiction-breaking boo-schwa. There's a fine line between "magical world has magical creatures" and "dev is clearly f---ing with us." You've crossed it. Also note that if a non-tamer is soloing this, it wasn't a team of three tamers that needed nerfing. I suggest you get rid of that regen thing, and just let our dragons slowly but steadily kill Virtuebane. Or, alternatively, let Humble Pie be his undoing again.

Sincerely,
L.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
o Virtuebane was then changed to cheat on two dragons so that when he got down to 4%, he would regenerate to 8% repeatedly. Eventually we figured out that two dragons + death ray could take him.
o Yesterday, we tried two dragons + death ray. No love. So we tried three dragons, and three dragons + death ray. Nope, did not work at all, he was regenerating.

@Bleak @Kyronix
This super magical hp regeneration but only when hp is very low thing is so much fiction-breaking boo-schwa. There's a fine line between "magical world has magical creatures" and "dev is clearly f---ing with us." You've crossed it. Also note that if a non-tamer is soloing this, it wasn't a team of three tamers that needed nerfing. I suggest you get rid of that regen thing, and just let our dragons slowly but steadily kill Virtuebane. Or, alternatively, let Humble Pie be his undoing again.

Sincerely,
L.
I doubt this was a targeted tamer nerf, because as you say... why.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have literally just finished doing the roof with my guild mate. You can take virtuebane with 2x GD's in under 10 minutes.

Now don't get me wrong before I had had the exact same problem. He can spawn with very physical resist and when he is almost dead it seems impossible to kill because he regens too much. We had to leave also because it was just stupid.

My guild mate said to me "F**k this. I'm not coming back here until you get spellweaving".

I went off and trained up SW in a couple of days and we went back. Not been a problem since. As soon as its possible I just drop WoD on him (and all the other bosses) and it makes it a whole lot easier.

I run mage/med/SW and my friend has a disco tamer.

The roof encounter is fine as it is in my opinion. You just need a good team mate / group and be willing to swap some skills around to make it work for you.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why are pets no good?
If you solo it on a tamer you're looking at about a 30+ minute fight with only VirtueBane, assuming there is very little/no spawn & no deaths.

Pets don't Armor ignore, they don't get enemy of one/honor, no slayer bonuses, the damage type is often 100% physical a pet that could actually tank Virtue-Bane (a Greater Dragon) is 100% physical damage, where as Virtuebane has 80+ physical resist and cannot be discorded. tamers take upwards of 30mins (solo) just to kill that boss... and Anon could take just as long. Not worth (IMO).

Right, I don't mind the spawn because of how much faster it "Could" be. personally I use: 1 wammie, 2 SW-necro-mages (for spawn/ ~30% hp boss) 2 bards, peacing/provo songs. most of the bosses aren't too bad with this setup.

on Side notes: I'm still waiting on a reply/response w/e on the status of Shadowguard artifacts being PoF-able. Make it happen already why is this even something that needs to be brought up...? I lost a lot of interest in SG when I found out those talismans were not powderable.

Also.. the two most annoying things with the whole process of doing shadowguard.... The Belfry + UOAssist: the amount of client-crashes that occur while the dragon pushes you around are unf***ing believable, after experiencing several of these *Freezes* I started to switch my wammie from UOAssist to just the default client.exe (CC) so I don't have to close my other 6 clients JUST for the belfry. It's kind of a pain to invis all these characters to kill the drakes just to client crash and log back in on the bottom level and needing to kill the drakes again for the wing to fight the greater dragon again.... (this is a UOAssist problem).

Secondly, The Fountain... I need to run the fountain 3 times because the amount of spawn you deal with in a group of 4 or more people is absolutely ridiculous. even 3 can get out of hand, but I'm used to doing it with (3) 1 character doing everything while the other 2 are invised or dead.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
by the way guys, it's not his HP regen... when all magic-user mobs get low in hp. they actually attempt to go defensive... it's greater heal.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on Side notes: I'm still waiting on a reply/response w/e on the status of Shadowguard artifacts being PoF-able. Make it happen already why is this even something that needs to be brought up...? I lost a lot of interest in SG when I found out those talismans were not powderable.
+1

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
by the way guys, it's not his HP regen... when all magic-user mobs get low in hp. they actually attempt to go defensive... it's greater heal.
Then he heals for a ****load with each cast. Kinda annoying on tamers unless you have extra DPS (beetle/mare or WW/Mare) or WoD.

Beetle doesn't die in 10 seconds unless you send it first. Which is just stupid against something like Virtuebane. Back in October (a few weeks after the expansion hit), I told a guy in ICQ I was gonna try a White Wyrm; he was dual clienting a tamer & bard, and we had tried Greater/Rune Beetle/Mare setup, which wasn't killing Virtuebane due to the resists it spawned with.

While waiting to do a Shadowguard run on Atl (which is when I decided to put spellweaving on my Tamer), I brought WW/Mare or Beetle/Mare (forget which), and the guy told me to get my greater. I wanted to go off on him, but I just said it'd be fine.

A White Wyrm does well, although I've done multiple runs since the early days of the expansion and think the Rune Beetle is a better option. Armor Corruption OP, espcially on the discord-immune Virtuebane. WoD is highly recommended to speedrun it.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Also.. the two most annoying things with the whole process of doing shadowguard.... The Belfry + UOAssist: the amount of client-crashes that occur while the dragon pushes you around are unf***ing believable, after experiencing several of these *Freezes* I started to switch my wammie from UOAssist to just the default client.exe (CC) so I don't have to close my other 6 clients JUST for the belfry. It's kind of a pain to invis all these characters to kill the drakes just to client crash and log back in on the bottom level and needing to kill the drakes again for the wing to fight the greater dragon again.... (this is a UOAssist problem).
i dont think many of us consider running 6-7 clients 'soloing' something.
i know its just semantics but soloing to me means im in there with 1 account.

ive been in the shadowguard last month or so with 2 guild mates, we run 2 tamers and a SW mage.
no problems.
we can shoot through the rooms and the roof in under 2 hours total as long as we dont hit one of the pumped up bosses on the roof.
like a lot of people are saying above ya really need the WOD to finish most of the bosses effectively. its almost to the point where mandatory to bring a SW WOD bomb dropper now-a-days.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I never liked the idea of this entire encounter being soloable with just one or two tamers who would sit back and let their pet do all of the work while minimal amount of spawn is produced. Same goes for the rooms needed to be completed on the way to the Roof encounter. These shouldn't be continually nerfed down and given an 'easy button'.

This encounter generally has the best loot table in game and the artifact drops are still mostly going for high prices. It should be difficult and require more than one type of template to defeat.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right, I don't mind the spawn because of how much faster it "Could" be. personally I use: 1 wammie, 2 SW-necro-mages (for spawn/ ~30% hp boss) 2 bards, peacing/provo songs. most of the bosses aren't too bad with this setup.
I would hope most of the bosses aren't bad with 5 clients.

Here I thought running 3 was overkill.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never liked the idea of this entire encounter being soloable with just one or two tamers who would sit back and let their pet do all of the work while minimal amount of spawn is produced. Same goes for the rooms needed to be completed on the way to the Roof encounter. These shouldn't be continually nerfed down and given an 'easy button'.

This encounter generally has the best loot table in game and the artifact drops are still mostly going for high prices. It should be difficult and require more than one type of template to defeat.
Thing is, how many of us would have even known about the easy button when ToL first launched? When I first went in to the roof, it was with another tamer and sampire. We had Anon first & couldn't figure out how his earth ele form worked, so we couldn't kill him, although we were able to get him to about 400 health. We figured out the spawn summoning thing completely by accident, but even if we had managed to kill Anon, I'm not entirely sure we could have finished the other 3 bosses.

I could solo the roof on my tamer with a jewelry swap, but what would be the point? It would come down to an extreme amount of luck when facing Virtuebane and Juo'nar. Solo Ozymandias and Anon are boring.

I think the largest group I did the roof with was with a full party (or close to), and to be perfectly honest, I hated that it was a giant cluster**** with all of the spawn. For me, if there's a more efficient way to do a boss encounter (or mini-gauntlet) that involves minimal chaos, I will opt for that 100% of the time.

But you're right, it should require a group effort. However, gaming is rarely that way - once someone figures out the most efficient way to do something, other people will catch on eventually if the same character class(es) do it on a regular basis. Look at the new Eodon Tribe quests - the T-Rex I killed when running the quests had me on my tamer, 3 dexers, and 1-2 necro mages. Two of the dexers weren't on the quest to start, but once we were all damaging it (Except for my greater, who did a FANTASTIC job as a meatshield. Consume Damage OP!), it didn't take too long to kill it...although it would have been faster with a bard.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would hope most of the bosses aren't bad with 5 clients.

Here I thought running 3 was overkill.
I actually run 7 clients (could do 9... I just don't feel like doing the fountain an additional time... not worth), because a ~30% drop-rate is absolutely stupid for an approximate 2 hour encounter from start-finish Especially with there being so many different artifact drops from this place, getting any specific item is very hard.

i dont think many of us consider running 6-7 clients 'soloing' something.
i know its just semantics but soloing to me means im in there with 1 account.
Right, I consider it soloing since I'm the only person there (most of the time). but you're right...
It's much easier to solo other things (with one character) more profitable things, which would allow me to buy shadowguard drops from people who don't mind farming it.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is not fun.
Corpse skin/evil omen do help somewhat with pet damage, but seeing as how it has been made clear that necro mages aren't wanted for roof encounter I don't really bother with roof anymore. I could play other templates, but I'm stubborn as hell. :twak:

I would like to see some kind of template balance tho

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I actually run 7 clients (could do 9... I just don't feel like doing the fountain an additional time... not worth), because a ~30% drop-rate is absolutely stupid for an approximate 2 hour encounter from start-finish Especially with there being so many different artifact drops from this place, getting any specific item is very hard.

Right, I consider it soloing since I'm the only person there (most of the time). but you're right...
It's much easier to solo other things (with one character) more profitable things, which would allow me to buy shadowguard drops from people who don't mind farming it.
that said i do salute you on your multitasking skills!
jebus, i have hard enough time running 3 accounts on 3 computers on 3 monitors side by side.
your multitasking skills are prestige level 7.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Corpse skin/evil omen do help somewhat with pet damage, but seeing as how it has been made clear that necro mages aren't wanted for roof encounter I don't really bother with roof anymore. I could play other templates, but I'm stubborn as hell. :twak:

I would like to see some kind of template balance tho
Necro-mages are amazing in Shadowguard, the people you're talking about are probably tamers though... I could see why tamers wouldn't want someone that needs to actually do damage to go with them.

Tamers just do it because it's almost afk-able due to no spawn triggers from "tamed" pet damage.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It seems several people here are offering their two cents about tamers without ever having tried it.
o A rune beetle is going to get crushed. Virtuebane switches targets frequently. Put your beetle on him after someone else's pet is on him? Virtuebane will switch targets and crush the rune beetle.
o Almost afk-able? No. Someone's greater dragon is going to need healing pretty much constantly.
o Almost afk-able? No. Area effect attack. Take a few steps back when that's about to be triggered. If you don't step back, then you take damage, you're paralyzed, and you're on Virtuebane's hit list, which means he comes after you and hits you to finish you off... or he does the area affect AGAIN and then you die.
o Almost afk-able? No. Virtuebane switches targets. He will come after a tamer. He has a paralyze attack. You get punched, and paralyzed, and then his second hit kills you.
o You will die. More than once. Same for your greater dragon. And your friend's greater dragon. And your friend. Got Sacrifice resurrections? You will need them so that you can be alive before your friend gets killed too.

I'm not looking for an "easy" button. I just want a FAIR encounter, not this super-regen-at-4%-health mode. If we can get him down to 4% we should be able to take him the rest of the way.

o Changing template to add spellweaving? Would not help, because on this depopulated shard the only time there's more than one spellweaver around is on Saturday night when the EM is having an item-drop event, so -- no focus, and Word of Death doesn't work well at this health range without one.

So hey.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
btw, roof loot intensity definitely has been nerfed (if not again) within the last 4 weeks or so.
I do roof once a day, same melee team/ high luck configuration, and nowadays I see more lesser junks than ever.
I'd be lucky if I find one or two keepers at all now. (my role in the team is looting, so I know the difference from the past 3 months)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It seems several people here are offering their two cents about tamers without ever having tried it.
o A rune beetle is going to get crushed. Virtuebane switches targets frequently. Put your beetle on him after someone else's pet is on him? Virtuebane will switch targets and crush the rune beetle.
o Almost afk-able? No. Someone's greater dragon is going to need healing pretty much constantly.
o Almost afk-able? No. Area effect attack. Take a few steps back when that's about to be triggered. If you don't step back, then you take damage, you're paralyzed, and you're on Virtuebane's hit list, which means he comes after you and hits you to finish you off... or he does the area affect AGAIN and then you die.
o Almost afk-able? No. Virtuebane switches targets. He will come after a tamer. He has a paralyze attack. You get punched, and paralyzed, and then his second hit kills you.
o You will die. More than once. Same for your greater dragon. And your friend's greater dragon. And your friend. Got Sacrifice resurrections? You will need them so that you can be alive before your friend gets killed too.

I'm not looking for an "easy" button. I just want a FAIR encounter, not this super-regen-at-4%-health mode. If we can get him down to 4% we should be able to take him the rest of the way.

o Changing template to add spellweaving? Would not help, because on this depopulated shard the only time there's more than one spellweaver around is on Saturday night when the EM is having an item-drop event, so -- no focus, and Word of Death doesn't work well at this health range without one.

So hey.
I bring a 3.8 Dragon Turtle Hatchling with Consume Damage (120 Taming/Lore real) to tank Virtuebane, while a few of my guildies use Cu Sidhes to bring him down. I just stand there vetting the pets, and running out of range when i see his "burn to ash" message. Pretty easy. Even a Rune Beetle under Consume Damage while being vetted could stay alive.

The Rune Beetle still does 2 things that no other pet does. Their Armor Corruption will halve their victim's resists for about 5 secs, allowing everyone attacking that target to do double damage. Plus, their constant Poisoning makes it damn near impossible for most enemies to heal themselves. While they may not have the tankiness of a GD/DTH, they do provide more utility than them, and the extra damage they allow a group to do, can provide alot more damage than just a single GD would add.

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So hey.
Obviously I do not solo the roof, although it is possible & I have the items needed to do so. That said (ignoring the afk'ing statements):

1) No, it does not, as long as a greater dragon/dragon turtle is present. I have done it REPEATEDLY. With no pet deaths. For you to say otherwise means one of two things: You haven't actually tried it...or perhaps you have, and haven't been able to keep your Rune Beetle alive even with a Greater doing the tanking.

2) I die and need sacrifice self-res'ing? Huh. That's weird. I don't die AT ALL while doing the roof. There's a very easy way to prevent Virtuebane from re-targeting. Hint: X-Box.

3) Do you have multiple accounts? If so, do spawns until you get two Level 3 spellweaving primers. If your shard is dead as you claim it is, it should be fairly easy to chain Despise until you get them. Once that's done, take both chars to WBB & get your 6 focus.

Couple questions for you: 1) Have you character copied to TC1 recently? 2) Do you have a tamer with a 4.0+ greater? I will be more than happy to show you how I do the roof with my Rune Beetle/Nightmare. Or White Wyrm/Nightmare. Take your pick - I'll be using Spellweaving either way.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
btw, roof loot intensity definitely has been nerfed (if not again) within the last 4 weeks or so.
I do roof once a day, same melee team/ high luck configuration, and nowadays I see more lesser junks than ever.
I'd be lucky if I find one or two keepers at all now. (my role in the team is looting, so I know the difference from the past 3 months)
Its all about which boss you get last. We have found Virtuebane to drop the "better" loot. If you get him last the loot is usually much higher intensity. Then I would say Juo'nar comes in 2nd place. Anon and Ozymandias would be the worst loot.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its all about which boss you get last. We have found Virtuebane to drop the "better" loot. If you get him last the loot is usually much higher intensity. Then I would say Juo'nar comes in 2nd place. Anon and Ozymandias would be the worst loot.
Pretty much. I did a run last night where Virtuebane was last, wearing 960 luck, and got multiple legendary artifacts. I'm not sure how good they are, but I have 6 in my tamer's pack right now. When I wear my luck suit? I get maybe one legendary, regardless of who the boss is. Would've been better if I got a drop (3 person run, none of us got one), but I'm used to that happening.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are the tactics for roof? My tamer gets eaten by Virtuebane and Juo'nar every time - disco tamer.

Pets don't trigger spawns? Any other spawn triggers?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
1 disco tamer
1 SW tamer
1 SW mage

we shoot through it fast.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I solo with 3 accounts. Pets attack, I stand a max rage for spells.

1 Mage tamer with a GD running taming mastery (consume damage).
1 Disco tamer with a beetle/tiger combo casting extra heals as needed.
1 Spellweaving tamer with a Cu casting GoR and WOD.

Virtuebane is typically weakest in cold resist, but with the armor corruption and the physical resist reduction from the tiger, the others deal good damage too.

Between all the pet damage types there is always at least 1 attacking Anon.

Ju is a little tricky with his ability to pull you in, but usually dies pretty quick.

Oz, well he is a push over

Entire roof takes @30 minutes.