• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOA/Tugsoft.com down..

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOA has been a blessing for UO, limiting repetative work and increasing functionality.
A blessing during those early years for sure. Crafting was an absolute *Pancakes* without it before they updated those tool windows.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe back in 2000 yeah UOA was good to use but in 2016 it stinks.... Tug should be down right ashamed on UOA's functionality. I guess this is my spoiled opinion from using other third party free programs that are light years ahead of UOA. I will have a special party the day UOA goes down forever and UO approves a different third party program.
Or perhaps no other programs would be approved and the "Cheater"-label would still apply...

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We were comparing it to $10, not $1200.(excluding Aran)
I think your missing the point it's not the $10 it's whats you get in return for the $10 which is a big heaping pile of garbage. How many copies of UOA have been sold, love to see that number. Tugsoft has made millions and millions of dollars on a sub par program that half way works while FREE programs exist that insanely better. I will not discuss this topic further but just let's agree that I am right and you are wrong :)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is a perfect example of a third party program that made the game better for everyone. There are many other third party programs out there that can do the same as well.
They leashed him it could of been wayyy better. They could of let the current one in circulation connect to the server and monitor its functions like so many free shards do..but hey incompetence is vital amongst upper management. Instead it's a cheat machine for the evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think your missing the point it's not the $10 it's whats you get in return for the $10 which is a big heaping pile of garbage. How many copies of UOA have been sold, love to see that number. Tugsoft has made millions and millions of dollars on a sub par program that half way works while FREE programs exist that insanely better. I will not discuss this topic further but just let's agree that I am right and you are wrong :)
You could argue the value since it's subjective to use, and in your case, comparatively against other "Unapproved" programs.

Although, this is going back to $10 and your response being "we're not all rich" wasn't it?

So I didn't really miss the point, I was simply discussing your response.

Also since you do have 10 accounts and if you're not keeping them open monthly have probably spent 13.99 for something you aren't using all the time.

It's hard to go along with your opinion when you're judgement of value differs.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... on a sub par program that half way works while FREE programs exist that insanely better.
The FREE programs are likely illegal to use with the game because they allow illegal functions, which means anyone who uses them is a lowlife cheater.

You want to cheat in the game you play, go play another game.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is a perfect example of a third party program that made the game better for everyone. There are many other third party programs out there that can do the same as well.
I don't entirely agree. I believe one of the reasons the CC has never received a proper UI/Functionality overhaul is because the Devs could just go "why bother implementing that - they can just use UOA!"

I also don't think players should have to pay extra to a third party for in-game functionality either especially when there is already a subscription fee. But that's my opinion.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ive always wondered why uo didn't have their own uoa type program. I never thought I would see a business where way more of the players wanted the cc over than ec but they make ec with pincos, so much better that makes certain activities extremely unfair. when people think things are unfair, some will quit, others will cheat and some will try to get devs to change things.
I think about a new player, they pay for account, then have to pay all this extra money for upgrades. then they find out another $10 for uoa. how many of us just starting with uo would really pay all this money. I know I wouldn't. in general people want things to be fair. just my opinion.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want the real client to ever change from its classic glory, and I want all the "new" graphics removed to go back to the old "placeholder" style where imps were green mongbats, etc.
100% Agree.

Also +1 Love my UOAssist, i remember the day I got it for the first time. Completed UO for me as a game, especially for PvP.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The FREE programs are likely illegal to use with the game because they allow illegal functions, which means anyone who uses them is a lowlife cheater.

You want to cheat in the game you play, go play another game.
you just insulted 75%+ percent of the Uo population, How dare ye!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you just insulted 75%+ percent of the Uo population, How dare ye!
I'm a man with a strong sense of honor, what more really needs to be said. You've laid claim to the behavior & let the world know you do it, so you are what you are.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a man with a strong sense of honor, what more really needs to be said. You've laid claim to the behavior & let the world know you do it, so you are what you are.
I guess I could lie about it, whats more honorable? :lol:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ive always wondered why uo didn't have their own uoa type program.
Other games call it user interface and deliver it right along with the game code. Developers get paid for it from the money the players pay for the game. Its silly on how many levels they let the money float to third parties. And BS isn't going to do a single thing about it.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only gripe with UOAssist is that we still can't open more than one instance of it in 2016. I have two accounts with Uoassist but only 1pc. I managed to get it to open twice once having a right play with things i'd read on the net but it was hassle and i can't remember exactly how i did it, what id like is to be able to open two instances of it so i don't feel like im wasting my money on the second account.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My only gripe with UOAssist is that we still can't open more than one instance of it in 2016. I have two accounts with Uoassist but only 1pc. I managed to get it to open twice once having a right play with things i'd read on the net but it was hassle and i can't remember exactly how i did it, what id like is to be able to open two instances of it so i don't feel like im wasting my money on the second account.
This is another case where the EC rules.... I can have as many accounts as I want open and all of them can use Pinco's equally.... since it's sort of built into the client.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I haven't tried this but what about installing UOA a 2nd time but change the directory name. That way you would have two separate installs... Idk I'd try that

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to download this today on a new computer. The website is up, but the link to download the UOAssist file is coming up with a page not found error.

Also, where is everyone getting the $10 pricetag? It's $15 for each account, although there is a supposed discount for registering multiple accounts.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me, at least, one thing is very different this time vs. the other times something similar has occurred: It's not just "lose functionality if I can't eventually update." Rather it's just flat out not working. After ONE update failure.

If it's down, it's down. None of us are not aware of the fact that it may not last for forever. Sort of useless to point that out. And it's as useless to use this as an excuse to advertise the EC.

Rather we're asking two related and quite-reasonable questions. Is it down for all? (Seems so.) Is this just another hiccup or is this the 'big one,' and a program we've all come to depend on is down for good now? (As yet unknown.)

-John's player
Not all! I am not depending on Assist, nor on other tools. Playing UO in CC with my bare hands. Never used anything else than CC. Even sailing only with my mouse, no carto or whatever. But I respect the efforts those people invested for developing their tools.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I know a lot can be done in CC now without UO Assist, it's not a must as it was in the past. Just take crafting, now you can craft x numbers or max of something. In the past, I used UOA for that but not now.
A lot other stuff are added to the CC client now.
I do still use it for PvP/PvM but even here some may be added to the client. I do still use it to make bolt of clothes from wool and to craft potions and scrolls, making maybe 10 potions, 2 scroll, getting mana up while making scrolls.
I got my first UO Assist key, when it still was considered an illegale tools. I know it was wrong but it was a great help both to mining, crafting and to PvP/PvM.
There was years, where i would not play if UO Assist was down, now I do play, but I do not go out killing stuff (monsters)

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I tried to download this today on a new computer. The website is up, but the link to download the UOAssist file is coming up with a page not found error.

Also, where is everyone getting the $10 pricetag? It's $15 for each account, although there is a supposed discount for registering multiple accounts.
I contact the owner and see about an update to the download and as far as the $15, maybe the price has gone up. As far as a discount for registering multiple accounts, I read it as if you register multiple first time accounts and I will come back with any information I hear if one can get a discount for ordering a 2nd key after already having one.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
$15 is not much, even when I may had paid for 10+ accounts over the years. I doubt Tug expected to have to support UO Assist for 20 years, when he first made the tools. I don't know how many new keys he sell a year now, but I doubt he make much money from it.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I also doubt there is much to be made either. Maybe at first, if was a nice little source of income but now days, I'm sure it's nothing.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know a lot can be done in CC now without UO Assist, it's not a must as it was in the past. Just take crafting, now you can craft x numbers or max of something. In the past, I used UOA for that but not now.
A lot other stuff are added to the CC client now.
I do still use it for PvP/PvM but even here some may be added to the client. I do still use it to make bolt of clothes from wool and to craft potions and scrolls, making maybe 10 potions, 2 scroll, getting mana up while making scrolls.
I got my first UO Assist key, when it still was considered an illegale tools. I know it was wrong but it was a great help both to mining, crafting and to PvP/PvM.
There was years, where i would not play if UO Assist was down, now I do play, but I do not go out killing stuff (monsters)
I guess, I have simply been to stupid to program UOA. But I must admit: I am a bit proud of having achieved everything with my own, arthritic claws

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been well worth the investment for myself.

It would be nice if Broadsword would let Tug upgrade UOA to allow it to do the same things that Pincos does. I'm not sure if Tug would be interested in doing so in the first place, but would be nice.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I guess, I have simply been to stupid to program UOA. But I must admit: I am a bit proud of having achieved everything with my own, arthritic claws
But now, I believe the EC client allow way more "cheating/easy way" than UOA ever did so I don't feel bad about using it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UOA is hardly cheating. The only thing it really has that I like is the "view yourself as" option. The EC does so many over the top things, especially in Pincos.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
But now, I believe the EC client allow way more "cheating/easy way" than UOA ever did so I don't feel bad about using it.
What you may consider the easy way, Freja, I might regard as simply a contemporary user interface, common to most games. I'll grant you that you can set up skill building macros in the EC...and you can do it in the CC but it's only considered cheating if it's unattended.

We in the EC cannot set up auto-heal programs. We cannot create complex behavior scripts that can run for hours or days unattended. Nor can we create coordinated multibox behavior scripts allowing you to solo tough encounters, such as the roof, with multiple automated characters. These are just a few things I know CC users with add-ons are doing as I type this.

This is not rumor or misapprehension on my part. I'm hearing people do it and telling me how they're doing it in voice servers as they're doing it.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I know, but I never did and it was not done with UO Assist :p
Nor would I EVER suggest you'd do that sort of thing, Freja, or anybody on Siege for that matter. When a scripter is detected there you have an almost shard-wide posse assembled instantly to find and kill the scripter.

My point is that these sort of sophisticated automation efforts can't happen on the EC. They can on the CC due to its age and the inexperience of its creators.

The founder of Kesmai, Kelton Flinn, whose online games first appeared on commercial online networks in '84, said "The client is in the hands of the enemy." There is no way the developers of Ultima Online could have imagined or conceived the tactics and capabilities of that enemy. But 18+ years on and the CC remains nearly indefensible against myriad enemies, alas.

I'm sorry I have stretched the parameters of this topic so. It's just I strongly feel this game needs a fresh client above all things. It should display UO in the manner you prefer of course. As I've said before, original UO will one day be regarded as a genuine work of art. But you should be able to just load and play an online game without having that act be just the first of multiple steps needed to play it.

Last edited: