• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any Tips for T-map problem?

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tryin to find the location for a map, its somewhere under trees, i turn the foilage off so i can see the ground, but then everywhere i click on the ground it says its to far away, even if im clicking in front of my own feet, this is trammel of course, any tip on how to fix this issue?

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Only place I've encountered this is Kitsume Woods. Alas, I have but one suggestion that I imagine you've tried: treat it like the treasure chest looting bug and keep re-positioning yourself. This has always worked for me.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe that even though you turned off the foliage, the game thinks it's still there and won't let you click through it. If you have GM Mining (highly recommended for your sanity in finding the chests quickly) you can reach further so just click at the base of the trees or where you know there's no foliage and it should find the spot. Also you might try moving your character to behind the tree and as said above, make sure circle of transparency is on and click close to you.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you use the classic client and have UOA, you can make a macro to target a relative location. Record the macro in an open area, then play the macro when you are under the trees... UOA can see the ground even if you can't...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep I agree. And I go out in concentric circles from where I know it is.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for solo T-Map
I put on cart and mining and lockpicking - go find the chest - mark it with rune - unlock the chest
then go back to house and replace out those skills with needed skills.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lorddog you poor thing.........
that's no way to do a t map....heheheeeheheheheheeee

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for solo T-Map
I put on cart and mining and lockpicking - go find the chest - mark it with rune - unlock the chest
For every map you do this? Holy moley Batman!! I'd hate the time it takes to do that and the chance I'd have to make a mistake and wipe out a whole skill.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get one of those lockers, it makes 50 mining all one needs, GM is better but 0 can work. The locker narrows the space down to one 7*7 tile and 50 mining will cover that fairly quick

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought that only in Fel were other players allowed to loot a dug up unattended treasure chest. I think in Tram players get some message basically stating they may not loot a chest they did not dig up.

I just decode 10-15 maps at once, soul stone off carto and put on mining. Write the coordinates down in a noobied book (or insured book) as u decode them and place them in order in your pack (left to right/right to left - whatever works for you). You never have to leave your chest and its always easy to find. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I just roll 2 clients ..... t-hunter on one, Tamer on the other.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've only ever had one client. I swore back in 2000 I wouldn't spend another dime on this game (account-wise) if they wouldn't spend a dime
trying to stop cheating. As usual, I've kept my word.

Best single account template for t-hunters I've found is the mystic discording gargoyle :

120mystic 120focus 120music 120discord GMmining GMlockpicking
and 40magery (use a +15book and at least +15magery on jewls) and carry inviso scrolls.

Soulstone off mining when decoding maps. Soulstone off carto for mining when your done decoding.
Use slayer specific instruments to discord spawn (F5 exceptional, F6 undead, F7 demon, F8 elemental, F9 dragon is my set up).
Have a suit high in mana bonus and MR so u can spam endless RCs. Always use an inviso scroll when the chest pops up
so you never fizzle or your dead(timing is key). Otherwise, at +70 magery (not using a scroll) you will fizzle some but its sufficient to get the job done.

I can wipe out six level 6 t-maps per hour solo easily, spending most of my time digging through the loots (since I don't use scripts).
One KEY tactic is using a max luck suit & you'll pull 2-3 GOOD legendaries every 2-3 chests on average.

Keep in mind the luck determines the loot when digging is initiated not when the chest surfaces.

Hope it helps those solo t-hunters :)

*EDIT thanks to @Dizzy for the correction !

Last edited:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just use EC and Tamer: Tame, Vet, Lore, Magery, Hide, Stealth and then stone on cartography (decode maps) stone off, stone on lockpicking (go dig em up). Don't use any mining. Solo all level maps including diabolical. Never have any trouble finding chests. I generally decode about 20 maps at a time and do them over the week.

As for others looting your chest, well possibly in fel they can but in all other facets they can't. Actually NOT sure when they changed it (anyone know when and why?) as years ago t-hunting with a group was fun. My old three person guild used to do t-maps in multiples of three, first map, one person looted the chest, another looted the monster corpses the other healed. Next map and the one after we would swap, was all nice and fair and everyone got a turn at the chest/corpses etc. Now, if you were to 'take' someone with you they can't loot the chest so basically just stand around looking at you while you loot the chest and assist with popping any monsters that spawned (generally hardly any). I tried doing some the other night with another person, but they got bored to death as couldn't touch the chest, talk about screwing up a 'fun' activity for a group.

I can understand that perhaps it was a problem with people 'butting' in and looting a chest out from under others, but surely they could of made it that ANYONE in a party with the t-hunter could access the chest. Perhaps they need to change it @Kyronix or whoever does this stuff.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just use EC and Tamer: Tame, Vet, Lore, Magery, Hide, Stealth and then stone on cartography (decode maps) stone off, stone on lockpicking (go dig em up). Don't use any mining. Solo all level maps including diabolical. Never have any trouble finding chests. I generally decode about 20 maps at a time and do them over the week.

As for others looting your chest, well possibly in fel they can but in all other facets they can't. Actually NOT sure when they changed it (anyone know when and why?) as years ago t-hunting with a group was fun. My old three person guild used to do t-maps in multiples of three, first map, one person looted the chest, another looted the monster corpses the other healed. Next map and the one after we would swap, was all nice and fair and everyone got a turn at the chest/corpses etc. Now, if you were to 'take' someone with you they can't loot the chest so basically just stand around looking at you while you loot the chest and assist with popping any monsters that spawned (generally hardly any). I tried doing some the other night with another person, but they got bored to death as couldn't touch the chest, talk about screwing up a 'fun' activity for a group.

I can understand that perhaps it was a problem with people 'butting' in and looting a chest out from under others, but surely they could of made it that ANYONE in a party with the t-hunter could access the chest. Perhaps they need to change it @Kyronix or whoever does this stuff.
I believe that if you are in party they can loot the chest. I'm fairly sure they can.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@MissEcho If you'd like friends to be able to access the chest with you, just party them. All party members will have access to treasure chests. :)

*EDIT* You beat me by 1o seconds MalagAste :p.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Great comments all

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe that if you are in party they can loot the chest. I'm fairly sure they can.
My partner was IN PARTY and could not access the chest. This isnt the first time I have tested this.

The maps were in both
Ter Mur and in Malas. He couldn't access any chest once I had dug it up.

Ok this is the weirdest thing, just tested it again and the one i was in party with could access the chest. Beats me, yesterday they couldn't, today they can. No idea.

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
for solo T-Map
One suggestion to make this at least one step easier - decode all your maps and then stone carto - you don't need carto to dig up the chest
Edit: As has been said, the maps will last 30 days after you decode them, and then they reset

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Never had this issue and it sucks to hear it exists. :( But thought I'd describe how I do maps.

My template is:

Taming 120
Lore 120
Picking 100
Magery 80
Veterinary 100
Mining and Cartography 100 (Once you decipher the map, you don't have to have cartography on your template.)
Spellweaving 100

1)I decipher all maps, put them in a Davie's Locker, and then take the ones that are near each other in groups. After deciphering I swap out Cartography for Mining.
2)I go pick up a HORSE or use Ethereal and I pick up empty bags from the Provisioner.
3)I eyeball the map for general location, sometimes looking at UO Guide for map comparisons. Takes very little time.
4)Visit a good rune library for islands if applicable and needed.
5)Begun digging and move after I've found the spot so it stops popping.
6)Move VERY far away and mark a rune. I'm talking at least 5 full screens. I also try to find a healer if I'm doing a 6 or 7 map and not using EC where it's obvious on the mini. Just in case...
7)Go back to pop the chest, as it's popping I precast invis.
8) Immediately as stuff starts to pop I invis myself. This timing is obvious to most and also obvious is that you get revealed quickly. I run as far I can AWAY from my marked spot if possible and invis as soon as I can.
9) I go get my dragon and stable the horse/mount. (Ethereal Mounts are obvious.)
10)I recall to my safe spot and depending on spawn I will lead them to the dragon as I can. Word of Death helps drop Balrons and Ancient Dragons easy. Highly recommend it.
DO NOT MOVE WHILE FIGHTING PARAGON SPAWN AND KILL ANYTHING THAT AOES FIRST. Liche's Wither and Frost Drakes Aura AOE.
11)Hit chest with Telekinesis a few times.
12) Loot the chest one item at a time and semi-slowly. I toss 50 stone items on corpses and I loot corpses. Put all items in a bag. As the bag reaches the weight limit I know my Imbuer can handle I go and drop them off like goodie bags on my front porch and grab another empty bag.

I also recommend capping Faster Casting.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just roll one character....he is my tamer Thunter...
120 lore,
120 taming
120 vet
100 magery
100 mining
100 cart/lockpicking

you decode a months worth of maps....with cartography...stone cart off and stone lockpicking on
go dig your maps...it stays decoded, pop it ,... invis and let the pets go nuts.. pick it ..step... back cast telekinisis ...
open chest and grab your loot.
pretty easy

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'm no t-hunter expert, i basically run with 2 templates.
for level 3 malas maps (the ones u get in guardian room) (i do thise for the alacrity scrolls)
i grab around 100 maps. decode them for an area i have marked in my runebook, if they are outside my marked area, they either goto trash-bin, or my davis locker.
Then i use this template
120 magery (u can open lvl 3 maps with 120 magery)
100 carto (i use this to decode the extra maps i get)
100 mining
120 disco
120 music
.. rest of skills dosent matter. (usually i have meditation,or imbuing to unralv loot)

find chest pop a few EVs.
precast teleport.
when spawn pops, teleport away invis.
kill spawn
open chest with magery, telekenise etc etc.
discord the ogra lords.

for level 3+ maps.
120 mystic
120 focus
100 lock
100 mining
100 carto (i decode the extra maps i get)
100++ magery
rest in medi.

find chest.
pop RC.
precast teleport
when spawn pops teleport away, invis.
cast as many RCs as needed to kill spawn.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Keep in mind the luck determines the loot at the exact moment the chest pops up, which you should be inviso at the time. You can set macros to put your spell book back in your hands or even switch out entire suits (in the EC) so you get the max luck bonus. Point being that you should be hidden at this time so you can quickly change stuff around as needed.
My reading of the dev notes was that the luck was determined on the first dig, not when the chest popped up. In other words, wear your luck suit when you start the dig, but you can change to your monster-hunting costume long before the chest pops up.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My reading of the dev notes was that the luck was determined on the first dig, not when the chest popped up. In other words, wear your luck suit when you start the dig, but you can change to your monster-hunting costume long before the chest pops up.
I'll have to re-read that cause I thought I'd read it the other way. Hmmm... food for thought. TY !

With my luck suit it doesn't matter as I never change but I sure don't want to spread misinformation. :)

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The luck of whomever digs up the chest, at the moment they dig it up is used to calculate loot intensity. At the core, loot from mobs and in treasure chests is generated the same, the numbers that factor into those calculations for intensity however, are generated differently.
My take on this was that when digging, your seeing an animation graphic of the chest surfacing. Once the animation stops & the chest pops up from the ground, it becomes static.
My assumption is that the chest isn't static and filled until the animation is complete, thus loot isn't determined until the chest surfaces.
I could be wrong but I believe this is how game mechanics work. I'm not sure if there's a more definitive explanation but I'll keep looking. :)