• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Patch broke all my runebooks Now with Poll

Do you prefer the new runebooks or the old?

• I prefer the old classic look

• I prefer the new look

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just saying. the consistency of art in a game is a very important thing. the new look of the runebooks doesnt have that feel that fits in with the rest of UO. I for one hate them and am cancelling all my accounts.

JDs

Adventurer
just saying. the consistency of art in a game is a very important thing. the new look of the runebooks doesnt have that feel that fits in with the rest of UO. I for one hate them and am cancelling all my accounts.
Consistency is important!, the lag is consistent so are the dupers, scripters and griefer's, the bugs are as well, the number of players leaving is, the number of complaints about the game, the lack of service, pretty consistent, number of reverts definitely consistent, Gold sellers running rampant on all shards, consistent. Please overlook this small oversight and stay with us until the music's over.

Otherwise, can I have your stuff?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would have much rather have seen less small pieces of blackrock in my back pack than prettied up rune books :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They still look the same on the inside, but on the outside they changed a bit. Just took this picture of mine.

Untitled.png

This is what they used to look like:

runebook.png

(Picture is from a thread made by @PwnySlaystation a while ago, it was the first good picture of one I could find)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
So the hues changed a bit? Size?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
rune books color isn't too bad but didn't know was an issue. has anyone check the old special dyed ones? exploit tubs or what ever

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Do the new runebooks provide on one side of the page the coordinates of each rune in the book? Can't remember if that's in the old books or not.. A thread about new runebooks in general seems well... Let's just say I wish I could get the last few minutes of my life back

Leprechaun

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Oh no! All of my books are runed I tell you.
Why, they are just riddled with runes, way more runes than they used to have.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh Merlin answered why. Look sorta raisin like in my CC. It is not an issue.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
certainly they didn't release a patch just to change the runebook graphics. any idea what else was included in the latest patch? OH! maybe we are getting belated valentines day gifts!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I (and I think everyone in our guild and alliance) LOVED the new look of the runebooks, geez such complainers, the new ones look great folks!!
Sarcasm isn't for everybody I guess.

OldUO

Adventurer
They look good! and I had a walk around a runebook library and the slight change didn't alter the ability to stack them or lock them down any different.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they look better. They have more clarity and less "fuzzy" washed out appearance.
sry Malag, we cant accept opinions of known EC users on Graphics! we all know your used to EC graphics which all look terrible. actually, my first thought when i saw these things was they look like the EC and have no place in my classy backpack :p So i had to throw all my runebooks on the ground and now have no way to travel since i cant use that atlas thing either cause its hideous.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I agree that they look better, but now they have to do the rest of the books because it looks funny now :( The new improved look is awesome, more clarity I love it! But just look at my mastery book and my fey slayer book! *cries* lol.

upload_2016-2-19_21-55-45.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree that they look better, but now they have to do the rest of the books because it looks funny now :( The new improved look is awesome, more clarity I love it! But just look at my mastery book and my fey slayer book! *cries* lol.

View attachment 43369
Perhaps those are on a later list.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lock it down in your house and turn it with deco tool. :smile2:
Lol, should've tried that before. The Runic Atlas has another bug, one that i haven't seen many people discuss. You can't recall from a Runic Atlas that is locked down, or in a secure container. Your char will appear to cast Recall, saying "Kal Ort Por", yet nothing happens. This is actually casting the spell too, not using a charge for it.

Leeda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not happy with the shade they made runebooks. I prefer bright so i can see it quickly. I heard we can't use plant dye on them anymore which really not much else I used them for. Another one bites the dust. Why did they feel the need to make the colors so dull harder to find in BP.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Original art equals awesome art. Thinking one can improve the original art, not a good idea. I've been trying to think of anything that came after the original art that looked better and I'm at a loss. At least things that are comparable. Certainly in the last few years anyway. Any changes were probably unintentional and they don't know how to fix it, lol.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The image does appear sharper which I guess is ok. Not sure why we got a color change though. Just glancing at them they hit me as weird lol I just don't see why that item they felt needed work. Would rather have seen the time spent on a quality Easter gift or something.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The image does appear sharper which I guess is ok. Not sure why we got a color change though. Just glancing at them they hit me as weird lol I just don't see why that item they felt needed work. Would rather have seen the time spent on a quality Easter gift or something.
You act as if they knew this would happen... lol just another accidental "intentional" change. :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, the initial post was a bit of a joke, but with every joke theres an element of truth.

this new patch is is actually just too much for me. my houses have a very specific feel, using none of the new style art that doesnt fit. i can not display my runebooks anymore because of how they look.

why was this change done? they look ****ing horrible. if this is a symptom of future art changes its extremely disconcerting to see what the game has become.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Just a quick attempt to make it look a bit sharper but keeping the color. Hmm... :confused2:

Runebooks.png

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Rune library that had been colour coded to make it easy to find a specific facet / type / theme...

upload_2016-2-23_23-11-5.png

Makes it a hell of a lot harder with the gold edging. Not quite the same photo, but the same selection of books from before...

upload_2016-2-23_23-12-16.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly I think you all are making a mountain out of a molehill....

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Honestly I think you all are making a mountain out of a molehill....
It's not mountains and mole hills. It's straws that keep dropping on the camels back. It's either people don't know what their doing or don't care. The art in this game has been heading down the slide for a long time now and as it continues it just gets annoying beyond belief. Not being able to do new items correctly is one thing. Most new items I really don't need and can just not display them and not be forced to look at them. But now they've decided it's a good idea to take stuff that was perfectly fine before and start mucking it up. Who was asking for an old style rune book art revamp? lol Was there a big campaign for that I missed? They really need to just limit the new cartoon art to what is absolutely necessary. Take a class on perspective. Then apply that to the game environment. It's really not hard to at least match the perspective of the game. See? I'm off on an art tangent as this (rune books) is just another glaring example of people doing stuff and not thinking it out.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
One question you forgot. Do you ever use a rune library? How do you like it now? :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sorry but I have to say I personally am HAPPY they are working on properly hueing things.. something that's always pissed me off about UO is that every dang thing you dye looks like you dumped it in a bucket of Paint. It's horrible. Partial Hueing should have been implemented from DAY ONE. Like with Plants and such... chairs, tables, books, 100's of items should be hued properly and if they are going to fix some of that it would SERIOUSLY make my day!