• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Funniest Threads on Stratics

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I was going to post the "Please Add Dancing to the Game" thread, but Imageshack deleted all free-hosted images in January. :sad3::sad3:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a very funny thread some years ago where people posted pictures of their desktops and the computers they played UO with. That was funny!

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Bieber thread was just a troll though...

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ uo thief story, poor guy
Yea, I've read that before and abusing some poor dude in a 3rd world country that just wanted to play a modern (at the time) game
instead of wondering where his next meal would come from wasn't my idea of humor either.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, I've read that before and abusing some poor dude in a 3rd world country that just wanted to play a modern (at the time) game
instead of wondering where his next meal would come from wasn't my idea of humor either.
That's a whole lot of assumptions on your end...

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a whole lot of assumptions on your end...
Not really. The number one concern in most 3rd world nations is clean drinking water and food (medical care also but that's related to poor nutrition and drinking water).

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not really. The number one concern in most 3rd world nations is clean drinking water and food (medical care also but that's related to poor nutrition and drinking water).
And you know that King Alan or whoever was the subject of this thread was in that boat? Show your work.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not exactly sure what your getting at with this statement...
And you know that King Alan or whoever was the subject of this thread was in that boat? Show your work.
Episode 0264: Poor said:
I then tried to have him read the book i wrote about training a thief, but he didn't understand it.
It turns out that his native language is Indonesian, and he couldn't understand English very well.
If he would've understood English better...
I thought it pretty straight forward. This game is played all over the world (even more so at the time this "funny" thing occurred years ago) & this noob seemed obviously not from the USA or an English speaking country. Is it a far stretch to think he logged on from home?

You can Google yourself whether Indonesia is considered a 3rd world country.
1 + 1 = 2 ?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not exactly sure what your getting at with this statement...

I thought it pretty straight forward. This game is played all over the world (even more so at the time this "funny" thing occurred years ago) & this noob seemed obviously not from the USA or an English speaking country. Is it a far stretch to think he logged on from home?

You can Google yourself whether Indonesia is considered a 3rd world country.
1 + 1 = 2 ?
I think his point was that not everyone in a 3rd world country is poor and unable to get food. Of course there is a significant portion of the population where that is true, but 3rd world countries have middle class and rich people as well. To assume that just because he lives in Indonesia he is poor and starving is a pretty big stereotype that in a lot of cases isn't true.

It would be like someone in another country saying that it's wrong to harass Americans in a game because all Americans must hide in their houses all day living in fear of being mugged or killed because the United States has such a high crime rate. Which clearly isn't true in most cases.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
American crime rate,while admittedly high, isn't that high compared to other nations. Statistically speaking, the percent of Americans shut-ins is relatively low.
Your argument would be much stronger if you had said "Americans are in fear of death from firearms." Recently addressed in one of my daily read websites
( :thumbup:a site I highly recommend:thumbup:)[BCOLOR=rgb(204, 205, 205)]
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160202090811.htm[/BCOLOR]

Americans are 10 times more likely to die from firearms then citizens in other developed countries.

That aside, if my perceived error comes off as a mere assumption I apologize. I tend to go with numbers/statistics. While there are always outliers to every Bell curve, my assumptions were based strictly off statistical analysis. I disregarded the upper class due to its negligible percentile in 3rd world countries (and most upper class Indonesians are taught English from an early age) and bulked in the middle class with the lower class because both are commonly affected by the conditions I presented.

I'm sorry if this offended anyone and seemed purely conjecture. Work shown :)

Last edited: