• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hello everyone. We are looking to join.

Dakota

Visitor
Hello everyone.

Myself and my wife are very interested in playing Ultima Online. However we do have a couple of quick questions.

1. How much will it cost us to get the game fully upto date with all addons (1 account is fine then we will double it) ?

2. How many characters can we each have maximum per account?

3. How many houses can we have per account ?

4. We live in the UK, so what server is best for us to start on ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer our questions.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everyone.

Myself and my wife are very interested in playing Ultima Online. However we do have a couple of quick questions.

1. How much will it cost us to get the game fully upto date with all addons (1 account is fine then we will double it) ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer our questions.
1: Assuming new account: Stygian Abyss New Account w/30 day gametime then you need High Seas and finally if you want to maximize your account buy the character slot and storage upgrade code. 29.99 + 14.99 + 29.99 = 74.99. Ouch I never thought about it but that adds up. You should probably create a trial account to make sure you like it then buy the upgrades as you need them.

2. If you have the character slot upgrade you get 7 characters per shard (except Siege and Mugen which is one per shard). 25 shards X 7 characters + 2 shards x 1 characters = 177 characters. (shards = servers)

3. One house for the 25 regular shards and one house between Siege and Mugen.
P
4. Connection wise either Europa or Drachenfels. Population wise Atlantic.

Forgot about Time of Legends, thank you @Angel of Sonoma so that adds another $20 to the total.

Last edited:

Dakota

Visitor
Thankyou very much Podolak :)

When you say 1 house for the 25 regular shards, does that mean 1 house on each shard or 1 house total ?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thankyou very much Podolak :)

When you say 1 house for the 25 regular shards, does that mean 1 house on each shard or 1 house total ?
1 house total... A left-over restriction from days of much higher subscriptions.

Honestly though, if you are new to UO, 1 server will probably keep you occupied for a considerable amount of time.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For starters the Stygian Abyss account with 30 days game time is all you will need for a long time, and that's a lot of content for $30

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I would suggest Europa unless you have a very good internet connections then you could play just about any shard. I would make a character on each shard to scout the area, players, guilds etc.. Once you have an idea of what here then you can also look at the Shard forums for more information. One thing to remember, its a game, have fun!

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
imo, i'd suggest purchasing Stygian Abyss and Time of Legends. High Seas and the 7th character slot/storage expansion are optional and not necessary to begin playing the game.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest Drachenfels because of the lovely, mature and friendly community. Contact www.knuckleheads.dk. Many Europa-Players came to Drachenfels in recent years!

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to Europa! Its a good community here and if you can.. visite Britain West Bank 6 to 7 your time. There is a meet and greet for new and returning players every night. You get to know people and you can ask questions , join a guild and get a hand with most things.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If you need the game a little more spicy, come join us on Siege Perilous

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@FrejaSP as much as i like your invitation to Siege i dont think for a completely new player this is the best idea...

@Dakota as much as i would like to see you on Drachenfels i think Europa was the better choice in terms of players and market situation... have fun playing!

@Euorpa players go and help em as good as possible. it happens not often to get new players these days :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
@FrejaSP as much as i like your invitation to Siege i dont think for a completely new player this is the best idea...
You may be wrong here, I had seen several total new to UO players do great on Siege. I started UO on Atlantic 1997 and I can tell you, Siege is Trammel vs that and I did great.

Siege do have a very helpful community and if they know the risk, Siege is not harder than Prodo shards, it may be way easier as our economy is much more healthy.

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome ! Most people are at Luna Bank.

But occasionaly there's a meeting at Britain West-Bank :)

In the Inn or Luna Bank you can use vendor search when you left click your char for some cheap deals.
Ponies and other ridables are obtained through either taming them yourself or in Magincia there are a few vendors stocked with ponies :)

Greetings
-Mina-

Dakota

Visitor
Thanks very much everyone for all the kind words and information.

We will be on playing after work this evening again, we are currently killing undead things for some quests in the starter town.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks very much everyone for all the kind words and information.

We will be on playing after work this evening again, we are currently killing undead things for some quests in the starter town.
I'm going to offer some thoughts regarding being a new player based on some of my own experience.

1. Ultima online is very complicated. It has lots of different systems that on their own can be confusing, and down right confounding when they are all put together. Don't expect to "get it" all right away. Practical experience and even failure can be good teachers.
2. It can be very easy to accept "help" from other players in the form of gold, suits, etc. I would caution you to accept all the good advice you can find, but maybe put off some of the more monitory stuff at least for a bit. Your personal accomplishments will bring a lot of satisfaction and bind you more deeply to your characters and possessions that handouts ever will.
3. Do not be too quick to jump into more advanced/end game content. I have killed virtually every critter in UO, much of it solo. However, and I think a lot of vets would agree, some of our fondest memories of combat in UO are thing like running for your life from a stray dog or getting totally BBQed by an Orc Mage. Don't skip over these kinds of experiences... Nostalgia will thank you later.
4. As it relates to #3, also don't be afraid to die. Challenge yourself here and there... You've killed that skeleton 23 times now... Wonder what that lich in the back of the graveyard is like...

Dakota

Visitor
Thanks very much Merus.

We are actually not "brand new" to the game, we have played for 2 or 3 months on a free shard, but feel the need to progress on.

We 100% would not accept any items or money from anyone "not meaning to offend" but we want to make our own way in the world :)

We do have one burning question though.....can we stream Ultima Online while we play or not ? :)

Dakota

Visitor
So we are allowed to play and stream all the time on twitch ?
It is not against the devs rules or anything ? We dont want to do anything wrong of course.

We have streamed while playing on the free server, but we just want to be 100% sure we can stream on Europa ?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You only need Styngian abyss. get the others if you find you might enjoy them after. they arent needed
5 unless you upgrade to more
basically 1. 2 if you play siege / mugen (since siege and mugen is no-transfer shard and to promote playing there your allowed to have a second house there)
id start on Europa, but if you find theres not enough people to your liking try your connection to Atlantic.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well at least the thread did'nt goes about SP or not SP. I know there is a small population which helps each other. Also in claiming deathrobes ;-).
Europa and Drachenfels are physical located in the amazon cloud in UK. So both are routing wise the right server for you.
Atlantic is the most crowded but with only small space left for housing. This is the "you can get everything" server.
I would also recommend DF or Europa.

Now something about the Drachenfels (aka DF) shard.
As announced the DK guild on Drachenfels is one of the most active guild with international memberships.
EM events will be held in German and English language.
We are a small community where everybody knows everybody. I call it a private freeshard with monthly fees.
And there is a lot of space for housing. Keeps (regular) and castle(more than seldom) spots are available. So if you plan to collect items or cannot throw away anything useable, a big storage home like a keep or castle is the right for you.

At least, this is a good thread to present a second time (in cowork with James Montgomery Flagg).... i wantyou2.png

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't bother, it's way too complicated to activate an account.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am cleaning up several posts in this thread.
Lets please try to keep it on topic and productive. There is no need to derail it with a server dispute.

Odin of LS

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to UO! I would also suggest after you get established on your home shard to also go ahead and create all the chars u can on the other shards so you can receive holiday gifts on them to be able to cross shard trade or sell them on other shards for gold.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well at least the thread did'nt goes about SP or not SP. I know there is a small population which helps each other. Also in claiming deathrobes ;-).
Europa and Drachenfels are physical located in the amazon cloud in UK. So both are routing wise the right server for you.
Atlantic is the most crowded but with only small space left for housing. This is the "you can get everything" server.
I would also recommend DF or Europa.

Now something about the Drachenfels (aka DF) shard.
As announced the DK guild on Drachenfels is one of the most active guild with international memberships.
EM events will be held in German and English language.
We are a small community where everybody knows everybody. I call it a private freeshard with monthly fees.
And there is a lot of space for housing. Keeps (regular) and castle(more than seldom) spots are available. So if you plan to collect items or cannot throw away anything useable, a big storage home like a keep or castle is the right for you.

At least, this is a good thread to present a second time (in cowork with James Montgomery Flagg).... View attachment 43273
Coco. You nailed it! DF rocks! With Frarc however, we had more events. But still enough action there!