• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Slight adjustments in forum order

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Within the next day or so we will be making slight adjustments to the forum arrangement on the main forum page.

• The Stratics Support forums will be placed at the top. This will make finding information and help specific to Stratics much easier and will facilitate communication between the Stratics staff and the rest of the community.
  • We will also rearrange the Stratics Support forums slightly so that they take the minimum amount of space possible on the front forum page while still being very easy to find.
  • A new category for Other Games will be created and placed below the UO forums (before the Archive). Per request of the active communities of the following games, their forums will be moved to the new Other Games category from either Off Topic or Archive: Shards Online, Shroud of the Avatar, and Eve Online.

We are approaching the organization of the forums very slowly and carefully, and we believe that the few tweaks above will be minimally disorienting while providing easier access to important and active forums.

We will continue to observe and evaluate the impact of the changes afterward, and of course take community requests and suggestions into consideration.

These adjustments will not require any down time for the site or the forums.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is super annoying to have to scroll down on the Index to reach the UHall link.

Also another annoying thing is clicking on a forum and seeing it is actually a subforum that has the new post. So I am clicking on Atlantic Shard but the new post is in the Atlantic Trade forum.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
It is super annoying to have to scroll down on the Index to reach the UHall link.

Also another annoying thing is clicking on a forum and seeing it is actually a subforum that has the new post. So I am clicking on Atlantic Shard but the new post is in the Atlantic Trade forum.
Which theme/skin are you using, JC? This changes the experience, which is one of the things we've been having to evaluate when determining how/what forums to re-structure.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I am using UO classic.
Odd; that's the one I use as well, but I don't have to scroll. Are you perhaps talking about when you're on a mobile device?

Otherwise, here are a couple of things that might help:

You can collapse the "Stratics Central" category list using the minus sign ("-") on the right of the category name; the category will remain collapsed as a default, until/unless you hit the plus sign to expand it again.

Stratics_CollapsedCategory.png

Re: having to click twice to get to the latest post -- the text of the "latest post" that shows on the main page is a live link; if you click on it, you will go directly to the post itself, regardless of the forum or sub-forum it is in.

Stratics_LiveLink.png

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Odd; that's the one I use as well, but I don't have to scroll.
You are not using the "UO Classic" style.

stratics classic.jpg

Re: having to click twice to get to the latest post -- the text of the "latest post" that shows on the main page is a live link; if you click on it, you will go directly to the post itself, regardless of the forum or sub-forum it is in.
When the forum name is bolded it means there is a new post since your last visit. But the parent forum will end up being bolded if it is just a post in the subforum. This does not make sense because you can see the subforum in the index, it should bold itself instead of bolding the parent forum.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
You are not using the "UO Classic" style.

View attachment 43040

When the forum name is bolded it means there is a new post since your last visit. But the parent forum will end up being bolded if it is just a post in the subforum. This does not make sense because you can see the subforum in the index, it should bold itself instead of bolding the parent forum.
Right; read Clasic, missed "UO." This goes back to my orginal comment, however -- UOClassic is different in that it shows the forums in threaded mode, so lacks the features of our other themes.

To elaborate: because we have some user-selectable themes that display in threaded mode as well as others that use tile mode, even small changes to the forum organization are going to result in a different experience for those using one theme vs. the other. We'll put some thought into it, but not quite sure how to get around that without taking the decision to limit our theme selection to one layout vs. the other (or never changing our forum organization -- which probably isn't the best option.)

That being said...
You can still simply click on the text of the post rather than the forum.