• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What do you enjoy most in game?

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
As we all have our own reasons for logging in to Ultima Online, I would like to hear what it is that brings you to play the most.

I play to for two reasons:
First is to have a social interaction with mostly my guildmates and then anyone else willing to have fun.
Second is to just escape reality and have some down time doing everything from solo fishing, treasure hunting, crafting, and champ spawns. There is so much one can do that can really only be done alone which are all those tedious things that anyone hanging around you, works become quickly bored lol.

So what keeps you coming here and what do you enjoy doing most?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The community mostly. I got bored with the actual "fight stuff" part of the game years ago. I still enjoy helping to run community events, and attending community events. I try to help new players as much as possible also, it's always nice to see others having fun doing things even if I no longer enjoy those things myself :)

JDs

Adventurer
I really used to like riding from Brit to Trinsic and when I made it unscathed would feel such a sense of achievement, Oneday I hope that feeling returns doing something in game, till then I guess I like killing noobs

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guild I am in. I have learned so much more about this game and enjoy it more than I ever thought I could. And even though Atlantic is my home shard the others that I have visited seem to have nice people too :) Really do wish the game itself would get more ♥ though.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoy the daily underworld quest. The one that starts with the 3 puzzle boards and ends in the colored tile room.
Its fun to roll through with 4 or 5 chars and see how the RNG treats me for drops.

I also like farming Medusa. It gets zen-like when you do 10-12 runs in a row for speed.
Blackthorns dungeon is much the same. When your there solo & just destroy entire cities its a sense of accomplishment.:party:

I do enjoy playing with others but often get frustrated when watching some make the same mistakes over and over.:confused2: o.0
I have to remind myself to relax and offer sound advice repeatedly instead of saying something I may regret.:rolleyes:

What I enjoy the most would probably be hanging in Help Chat to help new, returning, or old players by showing them new things
or helping them with challenges so they can better enjoy the game that I love playing. :heart:

MisPrinTed LiEs

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the freedom UO gives you. You can do what you want to do WHEN you want to do it. So many options to choose from such as fighting with a group of friends to being a humble crafter selling some wares. And definitely the community!! Great bunch of people even if we dont always agree. We all share the same passion for Ultima Online and that is what is most important I believe.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
There are really too many things to mention for us, so lets say setting goals and achieving them, whether it is finishing skills on a char, or collecting 60k of this or that stackable, and just recently we got (bought) our first castle, which also was one of those goals we hoped to achieve one day! And as many others have said, of course the community! Having conversations ranging from the funny nonsensical type to the deep meanigful ones, and doing things together. What also always gives joy is seeing the enthousiasm of new players, it sort of rubs off a little and makes us relive our own starting days. :) :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As we all have our own reasons for logging in to Ultima Online, I would like to hear what it is that brings you to play the most.

I play to for two reasons:
First is to have a social interaction with mostly my guildmates and then anyone else willing to have fun.
Second is to just escape reality and have some down time doing everything from solo fishing, treasure hunting, crafting, and champ spawns. There is so much one can do that can really only be done alone which are all those tedious things that anyone hanging around you, works become quickly bored lol.

So what keeps you coming here and what do you enjoy doing most?
My compulsive desire to materialistically collect garbage. I do it in games so I don't feel the need to do it irl. :p

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I most enjoy playing a Falstaff-like character, Yeager, leading groups in normally solo activities and writing up an After Action Report on the UWF guild forum each week. A sample of which I include here.

It is the freedom....the freedom to play a fool if I want....the freedom to play without it being about me....the freedom for people to express themselves without game design interference. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emily to the Rescue

After Action Report

High Noon T-Chests for January 23rd

Unlike last week when a small party mowed through two chests per party member, this week an ample party faced chest sites that mowed back, fiercely and consistently, for two solid hours.

But first.....

The Lineup.....

• Emily the Tamer - did they call Rommel bossy?
  • Dreamcast - Gameboy the undaunted...and unmounted
  • Genna - Tori who filled the GH area with the smell of baked bread
  • Phidippus - the giant jumping spider on an errand for "the dark lady," and I don't think he meant Shakespeare's mistress
  • MaNzAniTal the Tamer - got his first and most thorough lesson in treasure hunting

A Case of Deja Vu

As was the case last week, Emily the Tamer showed up with a whimsical group of pets only to have to turn around and grab Unidentified Flying Object: her best Greater Dragon. And, as it looked like it would be another small expedition, she grabbed Lady Bang Bang, her pale samurai on a second client.

Unlike last week there was no trivial guardian spawn at the first chest in Felucca.

First one went to Phidippus as it had several macing items, including a mace fighting pink. Only the huge spider expressed interest in the craft of smashing things with large and pointy lumps of metal.

At this point MaNzAniTal the Tamer joined the party with Bubbles, his Greater Dragon. With two GDs, two Mystic Mages and whatever the heck Phidippus is, in addition his substantial Bard buffs, along with Yeager's occasional heals, Emily could retire Lady Bang Bang and the adventure could proceed in full party style.

Phidippus also had a pet....a pack Llama with a very long name that Yeager could not recall. Its mission and purpose would remain a mystery for some time.

Lotus Lakes

This was the only routine site of the adventure, apart from the odd propensity of our Rising Colossi to hit Cranes with boulders using Bombard. Sorry, Yeager was too stunned at seeing this to manage a photograph of this bizarre and somewhat silly looking ability of theirs.

Holy Crap!

The past few weeks our Trammel level 7 chests featured only legends of Frost Dragons. Still Yeager warned MaNz, who'd never seen one, that their appearance was a possibility. Then....oh my.....

Holy Crap, Part II

As noted in the brief preview, Yeager skipped the Ilshenar level 7 map last week due to the small size of the expedition. These are the most challenging, as noted in other reports, due to Renegade Changelings. One is a pain, two can be a nightmare. This time there were three. And much death followed....

As even Phidippus' pet pack llama died, Yeager noticed something he never imagined he'd see in the haughty arachnid: fear.

Emily Takes Command

Amidst the futile combat and frequent death that followed Emily pointed out that there was no way the group was going to kill three Renegade Changelings by fighting them all at once.

If you get some distance from a guardian monster it beams back to the chest site. Thus Emily ordered everyone to group up at a point NW of the chest while she did the bait and drag on the annoying and formidable wee monsters, one at a time.

This took some trial and error finding just the right distance to fight them without them beaming back, yet again, to the chest. The correct answer turned out to be roughly 25 tiles.

It was still a prolonged battle and a tricky one to keep everyone on one changeling at a time without drawing the interest of the remaining others. At this point Petkiller joined us in TeamSpeak and suggested using Sleep too to slow down these plucky suckers. Eventually a hard earned victory was achieved.

But Wait, There's More!

In part to note Emily's cool, calm and competent leadership, Yeager awarded the chest to her. But the RNG chest guardian spawn gods were not as appreciative.

First loot spawn, a Renegade Changeling...

Second loot spawn, yep, another one....

And, before it was over, NINE Renegade Changelings had appeared.

Yeager wasn't sure if it was this, or his anticipating his upcoming meeting with Lymafaekentlarah (the dark lady he refers to), but Phidippus began a continuous, and often ominous, musing....

This continued even after the party left Ilshenar. We had one more chest to go because MaNz had yet to get one. Yet even as we headed to the final site, Phidippus' carried on with his eerie contemplations...

Tori (Genna) had to leave us at this point. A gifted multi-tasker, she'd been baking bread during this time and guests were soon to arrive to consume it.

On the Edge

This final site in Felucca featured one of those spots where it's difficult to run from the guardian spawn and, often, difficult for the guardian spawn to run as well.

Fortunately the monster that fell off the cliff was attackable without our needing a boat.

Phidippus seemed to cheer up a bit too....

But then his odd commentary resumed...

Fortunately, and finally, Emily broke this extended spell with Whovian logic....

Once again, quick and calm thinking saved the situation :) Emily remarked in TS that she'd been accused of being bossy. I asked if that adjective was ever applied to a guy. MaNz laughed and said, "Yeah, it's a double standard."

And two hours and a bit after it began, the adventure concluded with uniform high spirits, well distributed loot, and memories of camaraderie and fine teamwork.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These sorts of adventures is why I continue to enjoy this game so very much :)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I enjoy the UWF TeamSpeak channel with my guildmates. Whether we're doing something in-game, just shooting the breeze or the occasional time where several people in channel will be having a drink on a weekend night and laughing about something, that interaction is a major component of my UO experience.

Another aspect I really love about this game is the economy. Having a couple of different vendors, shopping in Luna, the bartering and trading over Gen Chat (or the Trade forums here), is a very unique part of the Ultima experience. I can't think of any game that has something that compares.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have loved this game for so many reasons over the years.

Now, I log in to do EM events, talk to friends and wheel and deal on rares. It seems like I am always connected to the game through ICQ. I constantly get texts about rares for sale, gossip, appraisal requests etc. I have always said I am rich in my friends and without them this game would cease for me.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's the freedom for me as well. If I'm short on time, I'll just log in to get BoDs and maybe work on skills a few minutes. Given more time, it's off to the water to work on fishing for a while. I've been enjoying that quite a bit. If I don't feel like doing that, I can always grab my bard-in-training and sit him in Shame. If I want to do mindless stuff, I go mining or lumberjacking. Basically, whatever I feel like doing, I do.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing what i want... Unlimited opportunities, always improving my char an gameplay... To make it short its the complexity that i love

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i enjoy long walks on the beach and dinner by candlelight. oops, wrong forum.

i used to enjoy placing and selling houses. but then the player base diminished and there's no demand for housing. then i used to enjoy doing idocs but that got nerfed. nowadays i occasionally attend (and enjoy) EM events. rares fests are always fun too.