• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gargs, Reapers, Collossus, Dragons. which do you hate most?

What do you find the most distracting / annoying / troublesome for gameplay at EM events?

• Dragon

• Reaper (including spell ring)

• Flapping Gargoyle

• Rising Collossus

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My answers:
Gargoyles are a nuisance
Dragons are bulky
more than a few Reapers and it crashes my game
Rising collossus's red bar makes it harder to get boss bar

Overall, i voted "Reaper". its huge, and the effect is just a bit over the top. couldnt imagine 20 of them at once.

Please vote and discuss your own "least favorite attack graphic at events"
*please note - i DID NOT include option 5 on the poll, the "rude player saying rude things and disrupting" - lets just keep the discussion to the actual graphic :)

Event Poll.png

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
flapping anything but specially flapping gargs. det gibes mees a head ache

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will vote for the 1 way tram moongates left static underneath all of the above. It was AWESOME to try and move out of the way of the death vortexes from the final boss and end up in Brit with no gate to get back!

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Quirk is not with any of that for the most part, using ctrl+shift and pulling tags works well.

The Tags for Items and players could be resized a bit smaller and the monster tags could be always on top and larger.(excluding player summons). That would help tremendously.

Of course some graphic exclusion in player options to turn off or change how we see pets and players would be nice too.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The dragons are the worst... you can usually at least see around the gargoyles.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
multi use of 2 to 10 chars, there would be half as many people at event.
I wish when u did shift control the boss's bar would be on top, same with my body. if these were a different color would help too. I also wish there was a way to disable targeting of guildmates lol

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...Rising collossus's red bar makes it harder to get boss bar...
How does one creatures bar make it harder to get another creatures bar? I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I actually don't understand.

Can I vote "WINGS"? Far to many times I have hit friendly people and pets in game due to "WINGS". Or can't get a shot off due to far to many "WINGS"!
In your User Settings, under the Input tab, you can bind a key to "Cursor Target Current".

I set mine to a mouse button. That way when I cast, I can see the targeting cursor come up, click my mouse button and direct-hit whatever target I have selected. This solved accidently mis-clicking on wings or my own summons (Yes, I died many times).

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hate dragons the most. I also hate the gargoyles, but my logic is that at least I know that a gargoyle is a player who has a right to be there and use their character in the most efficient way, which includes flying. Gargoyles can also be talked to and reasoned with, if they are blocking something I can ask them to please stop flying so the thing isn't blocked anymore. Dragons are just mindless beasts that get stuck every 10 steps and spaz out which blocks even more things.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How does one creatures bar make it harder to get another creatures bar? I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I actually don't understand.
becuase its the same color as the boss bar (red), and because they auto-attack right next to the boss, often hide the boss bar. you can usually see the edges at least of the boss bar, differentiated from the 50ish other bars right next to by noting the color, which is much more difficult with rising collossus bars covering it. because their also red.

also not a fan of the reapers being a red bar, but its not quite as bad as the collossus bar. the reaper bars, while confusing, are usually at least a tile or two further from the boss than the collossus.

hope that helped explain the issue.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't like that summons are red-bars. Why couldn't they simply make this a different color? I think that would be most appropriate action.

I voted Gargs - Flapping gargs have the ability to come down from flying and often don't. The GD's can't control the fact that they're bulky and trip up during longer movements... but the player controller gargs really need to get a grip and realize they're in the way more often then not.

PS Love the Reapers and never heard of them crashing anyone out. This is my favorite new mastery added in ToL.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I'm 2d, cannot play that 3d, just to much movement for me to handle.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
becuase its the same color as the boss bar (red), and because they auto-attack right next to the boss, often hide the boss bar. you can usually see the edges at least of the boss bar, differentiated from the 50ish other bars right next to by noting the color, which is much more difficult with rising collossus bars covering it. because their also red.

also not a fan of the reapers being a red bar, but its not quite as bad as the collossus bar. the reaper bars, while confusing, are usually at least a tile or two further from the boss than the collossus.

hope that helped explain the issue.
I was about to reply thusly...
"So, you have a setting where the bars come up beside the critters? Why don't you just switch it so they appear in the mobiles list?"

And then I realized (after actually bothering to look at the nice pic you posted),
You're using the classic client.

Sorry.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are so many things that are annoying. The reaper in the EC at least isn't that annoying I will say the blue crap can be very distracting though... and if 20 people were doing it ..... that would crash the EC for sure.

Gargoyles annoy me. But then so do other players who feel the need to stand ON the EM time and time again and despite being asked over and over to please move they don't.... Most the Gargoyles I know have the decency to land when in a small building..... if Tamers had the decency to leave the stupid dragon OUTSIDE when in a small enclosed room that would be nice..... If EMs wouldn't do essential event stuff (and most especially would NEVER spawn a mob in a tiny room).... that would be nice too then the Gargoyles and Tamers wouldn't feel the need to fly or drag that beast in there.

As for the summons I too wish they could get a different color. I wish the stupid crap that Necromancers raise wouldn't be red either... all the liches and other crap it's hard to distinguish that from a mob spawned by the EM or something else... and that leads me to my other pet peeve...... when the necro raises the dead it changes the corpse so no one else can find it to loot it. This is often done by Necro's as an exploit in order to keep others from looting... IMO.

And honestly the BEST solution for the Dragon problem is to allow them to be temporarily changed to a small graphic like Fairy Dragons, Skree, chickens etc... This could be something that EMs could do or it could be an option to add to the game somehow..... anyway that's my thought.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My answers:
Gargoyles are a nuisance
Dragons are bulky
more than a few Reapers and it crashes my game
Rising collossus's red bar makes it harder to get boss bar

Overall, i voted "Reaper". its huge, and the effect is just a bit over the top. couldnt imagine 20 of them at once.

Please vote and discuss your own "least favorite attack graphic at events"
*please note - i DID NOT include option 5 on the poll, the "rude player saying rude things and disrupting" - lets just keep the discussion to the actual graphic :)

View attachment 42300
it was very lagging there. people were standing on em, casting summons all over. maybe an area hit dispel before boss appears will help. ems need more back up and freedom to kill jerks or remove. I would like to see a 3 tile insta kill after a warning, if people wont get back and an ability to dispel summons so that they can do an event. u see how many dragons are there? people using multi chars/tamers now, its kind of funny to see if it didn't cause so much lag/crashes. how will we ever get more people to play and stay. will it get worse?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gargoyles.......cos apparently Humans are to thick to be able to Throw.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I didn't vote because I don't care for solutions to developer created problems that could end up pitting players against players. I know this wasn't the intent.

This must be solved by either developers through UI options or by event designers who need to be more mindful of blobbing when putting events together. Actually the latter could probably use developer attention too.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was about to reply thusly...
"So, you have a setting where the bars come up beside the critters? Why don't you just switch it so they appear in the mobiles list?"

And then I realized (after actually bothering to look at the nice pic you posted),
You're using the classic client.

Sorry.
haha yes. maybe the EC would alleviate some of these problems, but id rather deal with stuff than have to endure the ECs bad graphics.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I voted flappy gargoyles simply because they nauseate me and they couldn't possibly hover with such small wings flapping that languidly. (And no, don't give me the "they're magic" BS, because well, biology has to come first)

Dragons, however, are a bigger nuisance...and one that the devs need to deal with in one of the numerous ways the players have suggested. Dragon Turtles are an unmitigated, albeit mildly cute, failure as a replacement. Either 1) give the clients a toggle to turn them into skree/fairy dragons or 2) allow tamers to permanently convert them into a graphic with a significantly smaller footprint or 3) boost all newly hatched turtles to something players won't simply roll their eyes at and then kill...ALSO significantly bump up egg drops so more then 1 person gets one (right now, there is NO reason for a non-tamer to kill the mama turtle...)

RC's have no business being red to begin with, nor do necromantic animates (or ANY player summon). If normal, non-warred players can't attack them, then they shouldn't be red. Make them blue like all other pets, subject to normal war/VvV/flagging rules. I also want them tagged with a (Summoned) or (S) so we KNOW they're summons.

Reapers... Eh.. They aren't bad in the EC, just maybe a bit distracting (and again, no business being red) I'd maybe rehue them, to look less like normal reapers, and cut down on the spell animation frequency.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like the OP by the looks of it... :p
yes. i use 2 clients at each event manually. i much preferred the old system, when i played 1 character to the best of my ability to gain top damager rights, but thats a whole other can of worms. As much as i hate the fact that the use of multibox programs isnt banned / enforced (playing 2 characters manually is much harder than playing 5 with a program / script running everying) i accept the new system and to compete in that new system play my two accounts for decent odds at competing randomly and against players using scripts / multibox programs.

Last edited:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they are all problems.

The event moderators should have the ability to dispel all summons and fields. A simple /dispelall command would cause everything within 15 tiles to disappear. This would solve the Reaper and Energy Vortex, Rising Colossus, and field problem that happened at that event.

Gargoyles would be fine if they could be forced to land. This could also be an Event Moderator command. Or maybe just make it so if a Gargoyle hovers in the same location for ~20 seconds they auto-land.

That leaves Greater Dragons to take care of.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The event moderators should have the ability to dispel all summons and fields. A simple /dispelall command would cause everything within 15 tiles to disappear. This would solve the Reaper and Energy Vortex, Rising Colossus, and field problem that happened at that event.
Unless that was restricted to when there is no mobs to attack (as in when the last one dies), my vote is no. No reason to nerf mages at events any further than they already are. The summons are an accepted part of the game and are a valid way to attack event mobs, they just need a few refinements.

What they could do is create a way to make a temporary nospell/special move area (like in Blackthorn's) that could be used during the talky bits, thus stopping the morons who are constantly casting/summoning things because they have the attention span of a gnat. But then I'd throw in a separate area squelch ability as well, to end the idle chatter and whining.

Gargoyles would be fine if they could be forced to land. This could also be an Event Moderator command. Or maybe just make it so if a Gargoyle hovers in the same location for ~20 seconds they auto-land.
They tried this a few years ago. Bleak apparently coded a way for EMs to clear the area around them by auto-pushing everyone back (a few mobs have such an ability) and forcing gargoyles to walk, unfortunately, it was less than successful. Mesanna tried it on GL and it didn't do anything of the sort; and if I remember correctly, a few people crashed due the test. It's really a shame that it didn't work.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unless that was restricted to when there is no mobs to attack (as in when the last one dies), my vote is no. No reason to nerf mages at events any further than they already are. The summons are an accepted part of the game and are a valid way to attack event mobs, they just need a few refinements.

What they could do is create a way to make a temporary nospell/special move area (like in Blackthorn's) that could be used during the talky bits, thus stopping the morons who are constantly casting/summoning things because they have the attention span of a gnat. But then I'd throw in a separate area squelch ability as well, to end the idle chatter and whining.

They tried this a few years ago. Bleak apparently coded a way for EMs to clear the area around them by auto-pushing everyone back (a few mobs have such an ability) and forcing gargoyles to walk, unfortunately, it was less than successful. Mesanna tried it on GL and it didn't do anything of the sort; and if I remember correctly, a few people crashed due the test. It's really a shame that it didn't work.
I recall that and at least he did try. I wish he would try something again.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I do not hate but I agree big dragons can be very annoying, make the tamed ones way smaller.
I love the small cute Dragon Turtles, they have the right size for a tamed pet.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Dragons win for me, due to the size. But gargoyles are a close second, because their wing animation seems to really hurt performance of the client. And a 5th I'd add oto the list is quickly becoming tree form.

Maybe we can get a magic touchstone at the start of every event, turns all players (regardless of form) and pets into chicken graphics until the touchstone is again double clicked? :p Better yet, an option to always view trees/dragons/gargoyles/white wyrms/drakes/rising colossus/did I miss anything? as humans...

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted flappy gargoyles simply because they nauseate me and they couldn't possibly hover with such small wings flapping that languidly. (And no, don't give me the "they're magic" BS, because well, biology has to come first)

so let me get this right ...your issue is that the gargoyle hovering defies the laws of physics?? ( and ya it would have to be physics you are referring to...not biology)
Specifically it would be the laws of gravity, and since the effects of gravity is 100% dependent what planet you are on your argument makes No sense.
Or are you suggesting that this entire fantasy realm all exists on earth some place???

Look there is nothing wrong with saying you dislike any of these things...but that is based on your personal opinion due to level of nuisance and perspective. Dont try to rationalize that your statement is more logical because it violates laws of science that you are obviously a little foggy about yourself....LOL

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so let me get this right ...your issue is that the gargoyle hovering defies the laws of physics?? ( and ya it would have to be physics you are referring to...not biology)
Specifically it would be the laws of gravity, and since the effects of gravity is 100% dependent what planet you are on your argument makes No sense.
Or are you suggesting that this entire fantasy realm all exists on earth some place???

Look there is nothing wrong with saying you dislike any of these things...but that is based on your personal opinion due to level of nuisance and perspective. Dont try to rationalize that your statement is more logical because it violates laws of science that you are obviously a little foggy about yourself....LOL
The size of their wings relative to their body mass is decidedly biological. Gravity, of course, is a factor, but potentially less important in a environment with somewhat mutable laws of physics where someone can just go "'cuz magic!"

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
take out hovering effect on gargs.
people gotta control their draggys better. don't let them get stuck

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the problems with forcing Gargoyles to land is that it isn't just landing. They are then forced to move at walking speed. If you're going to force Gargoyles to land, you'd also have to force anyone who is mounted to be dismounted. Otherwise you would be creating a severe game imbalance.

Just imagine saying "At events all humans will be dismounted and only Elves will be able to remain mounted and continue to move at mounted speed."

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the problems with forcing Gargoyles to land is that it isn't just landing. They are then forced to move at walking speed. If you're going to force Gargoyles to land, you'd also have to force anyone who is mounted to be dismounted. Otherwise you would be creating a severe game imbalance.
Well then it could all be client side. The gargoyle can just land after 15 seconds of not moving and take off again when the player moves. It would all be automatic.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well then it could all be client side. The gargoyle can just land after 15 seconds of not moving and take off again when the player moves. It would all be automatic.
people would still complain, alot. just like its quicker to mount a horse in pvp than begin flying on a garg or summon an ethereal horse, flying is never immediate. theres a short delay. if anything the timer would have to be around 5mins at least or it would be a serious nerf to garg pvpers

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I meant was the Gargoyle would never exit flying mode. It would just appear they are standing still.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
All gargoyles should carry goblin fishing poles. :D

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Gargoyles in flight form destroys the CC 1v1 no arties.
Reaper special abilities paired with onscreen visual "noise" is a recipe for disaster.
Dragons and RCs are just cockblocks.

It's nice that the devs update the game and add content, but it's beyond time for them to respect that players still use and will always use the CC, and work on coming up with a solution for the CC that allows it to actually handle everything that is going on before adding more CC-debilitating white noise content to the game. I don't know how much thought was put into any of recent content being used on a potentially massive scale, mind you that I use the term "massive scale" very lightly as there is nothing massive scale about UO anymore. What I mean however is that 5 gargoyles in flight form not moving at all bring my client to a screeching crawl, the same screeching crawl that I have only ever witnessed during large scale pvp fights in the past, consisting of 80+ people with fields, summons and spell/attack animations constantly being rendered. And periodically witness when a frenzy whirlwind animation goes off in a sparsely population area such as Atl yew gate.

Something I have learned to prevent frequent game crashes and a little lag is to disable footstep sounds in the options tab. It's silly but never again will I crash just because there were a dozen people running around and someone open a door, causing the client to **** itself in the data queue of what sound it's supposed to play.

@Captn Norrington hi i found another unfiltered word.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do events but the LAG is the worst. I have a pretty good connection and a beast of a machine and its almost unbearable. Can't believe no one really complains about it, I know it's not just me. Wish they would change the EM events to some type of static global event for that particular shard so it doesn't feel like I am playing on my aol connection back in 1998

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Scary that we remember those days. But your right... and then you open a corpse with that lag and bam.... your done.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am so glad none of this usually effects me.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I vote dragons and the various wayward lily-livered loot mongering scullery sucking players who mercilessly heckle the lovable, hard working EMs and their Dark Queen.

CrazyDave

Old & Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Dragons. I wonder if there is a way to make them partially transparent when they are in battle. Smaller would work, but that takes away from the fact that they are Dragons! and should be big.

Rude players do aggravate me the worst. But, don't tell them. That would make them happy, I'm sure.