• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I had an idea about a new fair IDOC system.

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
* Have houses still decay but hide the decay state.

* Once a house is about to fall keep it standing if no players are around.

* Have house fall only when a player is near the building.

No more camping.
No more bots.
Rewards active Idoc hunters.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I doubt this would even be possible to program into the game, but I do not like this idea at all. Hiding the decay state kind of defeats the entire purpose of idoc hunting. The majority of houses would probably fall just because someone got lost accidentally and happened to walk near it.

We would have to change the title from "Idoc hunter" to "person that randomly walks around the game hoping free stuff will fall from the sky".

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe there is and I don't know about it (I wouldn't be surprised), but I wish there were a way to see the condition of the house without having to click on the signs

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Except for the bots that will now run around the whole world locating these houses. A system such as this favors scripters even more.
I saw a parcitular one the other day who happened to be dead in fel but the script continued to run anyways.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
How about this kooky idea:

Let's have houses just EXPLODE!

Half of all items will be deleted. Other half will be spread out in surrounding area post-explosion. Players too near house at time of explosion risk damage to gear and the possibility of the explosion causing any pack horses to be released from owners.

Let's do away with grubbers and instead of paragon monsters spawn where the house was.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe it is me, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with the IDOC system. It could have some improvements made, of course. But people are always asking for it to become a lottery or delete all the items or something else.

Is there any other MMO in the world that has a system like this? Let us go back to 1999. You stumble or hear about a collapsing house. You can either
  • Kill other players and take the loot for yourself
  • Work together as innocents to beat back the murderers and criminals
  • Call in your guild to assist
  • Run around using the stealing skill on other players
  • Stealth around, dodging other players while picking up items
This is what Ultima Online was all about. I would like to see it be like this again more than anything else. What if there was a special state where a house is considered collapsed and players can run in stealing stuff before the structure falls down? You can ransack the place. Some items could only be picked up by using stealing. That could bring a lot of the old magic back.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Half of all items will be deleted. Other half will be spread out in surrounding area post-explosion. Players too near house at time of explosion risk damage to gear and the possibility of the explosion causing any pack horses to be released from owners.

Let's do away with grubbers and instead of paragon monsters spawn where the house was.
*Chuckles*

How about it explodes from meteoric bombardment? Have like 64 (8x8 baby!) of those Town Invasion Wizard super meteors hit scatter pattern around the IDOC. And paragons? We don't need no stinking paragons! Have those meteors be the chrysalis for Harrowers! BOOM SHAKALAKA!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Maybe it is me, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with the IDOC system. It could have some improvements made, of course. But people are always asking for it to become a lottery or delete all the items or something else.

Is there any other MMO in the world that has a system like this? Let us go back to 1999. You stumble or hear about a collapsing house. You can either
  • Kill other players and take the loot for yourself
  • Work together as innocents to beat back the murderers and criminals
  • Call in your guild to assist
  • Run around using the stealing skill on other players
  • Stealth around, dodging other players while picking up items
This is what Ultima Online was all about. I would like to see it be like this again more than anything else. What if there was a special state where a house is considered collapsed and players can run in stealing stuff before the structure falls down? You can ransack the place. Some items could only be picked up by using stealing. That could bring a lot of the old magic back.
A lot of the mechanics they put in place are solid, but the length of time is horrendous.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
lol people dont randomly walk around. they hit play
Goodman is right many just hit play to find the idoc, sad. been going on for years. gms have rarely show up when needed at these idocs. anyone remember the auto placement of 8 to 12 plots when castle dropped. or the house plot placement, then removal then replaced with everything in the moving crate of the plot? nothing I know of was done at these idocs, even when gms called ahead of time none showed to watch/check. I have to laugh about it now. ive spent many hours looking while others just press their button to do. at least the devs made them private to help non script looters. the length of 10 and 15 hours is the problem. we don't need a lot of pie in the sky ideas, just tweaks. now what should the idoc time be?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if theres any change to idocs, the best one would be to transfer all items in the house to storage in the players bank (or a seperate "house" button similar to a transfer crate)

this way players who would have lost all their stuff and never come back in UO will know theyll have what they left waiting for them

should have been changed to this a few years ago. with the population we have now, the servers can handle those extra items being stored.

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
good lord devs dont listen to crazy idoc suggestions about where loot should go...idocs are fine...just get out and do your work people.....the only thing idocers dont like about this system is the 15 hr time...cause if u dont catch the time on a house ur in for a 15 hr wait sometimes........

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Better idea...when a house decays the value of the house and all items get deposited in the owner's bank or a permanent holding bin that the owner could retrieve. This would encourage people to come back and play the game, if their account lapses for awhile. If you happen to find a nice house spot, good for you!

Think of people who lose everything they built up over years due to an account mishap (this happened to me), and not being able to log in for awhile. I lost EVERYTHING I had and most of it is impossible to replace. The IDOC is the most harsh consequence for not being active short of losing your account/character in any MMORPG...all that so some folks can get free goodies!

What about a soldier serving in the army who has a problem with his account, someone loses a job, has a health problem, etc.

Yeah I know looking for IDOCS is fun...but camping for them sure isn't. What if those NPC camps/evil mage towers/gypsy camps, etc. had a chance to drop really cool stuff so there is still incentive to go exploring out in the wilds for loot?

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Not half deleted, 1/4. The remaining 1/4 of that half winds up in the Cavern of the Discarded.