• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player Looking for Advice

Sempronius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The last time I played the game was in the Treasures of Tokuno Event.

I would say my motivation was to collect all the items in the event. I don't remember if I got an upgrade.

So, I've come back and I'm trying to figure out the motivation for playing the game other than decorating the house.

Being confused about any new objectives or even things to collect is keeping me back from really getting into the game.

The question is this. What is there to do in the game right now? And, how do I know what content I haven't done between Treasures of Tokuno and now? I'm not all that interested in doing a ton of outside research. IS there a way in game to find out that information from an NPC or something?

Thanks!

Sempronius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I guess what I'm saying is I log in the game and the place is so big now that I have no idea what there is to do in the game.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might also want to get Stygian Abyss which in my opinion has the most new content out of all the upgrades. It will give you access to the gargoyle race, to Ter Mur (the gargoyle lands), to the Stygian Abyss and the Underworld. Also in my opinion, the very best thing about Ultima Online is the community. Go connect with the community of your shard and see what projects everyone is working on. On Pacific, that is best done by hopping onto Global Chat into the General Chat channel. By the way, what shard do you play?

Sempronius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well, a friend mentioned there's a way to play UO... for free. I'm going to check that out. There's a lot of useful information there... and not here... sadly.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that is because we get thrown in jail with no chance for early release for discussing free shards, and comparing the benefits etc

Sovrano

Visitor
I don't play any free to play games because of gamers like this. Couldn't figure this game out in 2 hours so give up? This person will be on to the next f2p tomorrow.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's tons of information between this site and UOGuide.com (Thanks to JC and those that help with the wiki).

There's a lot of useful information there... and not here... sadly.
I'm not buying that ^^

There's a ton of things to do on current production shards. The lands are bigger then ever, there are more boss fights then most
any other online game, and even small shards have strong communities.

Being confused about any new objectives or even things to collect is keeping me back from really getting into the game.
I can understand confusion as there's so much to do and such a huge area to do it in but the only way to overcome being overwhelmed is by giving it some time to explore this new world. There is FAR to much in this game to have any NPC explain and if this NPC was available, you would be watching his text for days. Hardly fun for most gamers.

If your really interesting in coming back to one of the most entertaining MMORG's on the market, I'd suggest giving the real deal a shot (not knockoffs).
As for motivations, I'd hope having fun would be on the top of that list and with the multitude of bosses, mini bosses, champ spawns, and tons of other
things to do it shouldn't be hard to find something that floats your boat (High Seas can be a lot of fun as well).

Sadly, UO being as complex as it is.... Your going to be forced into reading up on things. If you want to do well in this game even vets must read up occasionally. However, you are on one of the best sites for information. Also, look at what other players are wearing (armor), look at their weapons, go to spawns & judge other's play styles for effectiveness. Find what looks good to you and ask questions to find your niche. Help Chat can be extremely beneficial.

If you are indeed returning, I Welcome You Back To UO ! We Missed YOU !

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO isn't like most games that lead you by a ring in your nose through the levels, it requires you to explore and learn. Why it's such an excellent game. If you want a simple easy game, UO is not what your looking for.
Personally speaking, I think UO can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, a friend mentioned there's a way to play UO... for free. I'm going to check that out. There's a lot of useful information there... and not here... sadly.
Come on stratics peeps.....FTP troll in your midst.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Depends on what you intend to get out of it. Though I always say you get out what you put in.

If you don't put in any effort you don't get much out... if you fail at setting goals and such and you are only a follower you'll likely find it not your thing.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True, it has so many things you can do you can find something fun to do no matter what mood your in. Want something easy, no problem, want something that's a bear to accomplish, you can find that as well. Want to create, do crafting (my fav), want to destroy, go hunt. Like challenges, do quests. After 18 years there's a lot here to do.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Come on stratics peeps.....FTP troll in your midst.
Yeah... when I saw the initial post, it took me all of 3 minutes to find that wiki post about everything that happened after Samurai Empire. And after his/her second post, I figured it was a trooooollllll!

To be honest, I almost didn't reply to the original post. Anyone that can't take five minutes to at least look before spending three minutes posting the question isn't really worth answering. Still... I try to be at least somewhat helpful.