• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The other side of Broadsword

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone play Dark Age Of Camelot? I understand Broadsword takes care of that game too, and was just wondering if the two games are treated the same.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't play DAoC but just looking at the Facebook, Twitter and Twitch pages they seem to have FAR more activity and goings on.

I just checked the DAoC twitch channel as I saw this post and there is even a live stream goin on right now!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Rob Denton was lead developer for Dark Age of Camelot. Rob's now the founder/president of Broadsword. The DAOC team is smaller than the UO team, but Rob's love for DAOC is palpable.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to play back in the day. That's when I was introduced to RvRvR ( Realm vs Realm vs Realm) technically its RvR, which to me changed pvp in my gaming hobby. Was the best idea (in my book) ever introduced into gaming.

On traditional servers rules
  • Realms are enemies.
  • No inter-Realm communication.
  • You cannot attack Realm members (other than in duels).
  • Relics affect Realm members.
On Co-op servers is PvE only severs and all 3 realms can play with each other.

May not attack any player character.
  • May play cooperatively with characters from any Realm.
  • Characters may travel freely to all three realms.
  • There is no RvR, only one-on-one dueling.

I am glad DaoC still up and running because it was a total blast when I was playing it. Many of us in GW2 on Jade Quarry server are all former DaoC players that banded together for what we call WvWvW which have the same rules as the traditional servers listed above.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I like Rob... he's got a good head on his shoulder.
But we must remember, it is the Dark Lady who rules/runs the Sosarian universe.... even Rob has made that publicly clear.

So... Rob might do awesome things for his pet-game... I believe Mesanna is wanting to do the same for her's.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I love both UO and DAoC, they are one of only 3 MMORPGs I have had time to play in depth for years. When Broadsword acquire the rights to produce Ultima Online and Dark Ages of Camelot, I had hoped that this might inspire some collaborative work that might take elements from each game to create something exciting and new. I would have thought they could have at least cross promote these titles, and maybe offer a special subscription price of like $20/month or less to encourage players to try them both out, and recruit players from the other's game. Maybe something might happen.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rob Denton was lead developer for Dark Age of Camelot. Rob's now the founder/president of Broadsword. The DAOC team is smaller than the UO team, but Rob's love for DAOC is palpable.
Yer kiddin', right? UO has a 5 member team (so I am told, never heard of but 4)...so DAoC is smaller and still turning out stuff?? and communicating?? Kinda makes ya wonder, doesn't it...

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yer kiddin', right? UO has a 5 member team (so I am told, never heard of but 4)...so DAoC is smaller and still turning out stuff?? and communicating?? Kinda makes ya wonder, doesn't it...
From the "Credits" on the login screen for Time of Legends:

Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong - Producer
Greg "Kyronix" Havlusch - Designer & World Builder
Stephen "Bleak" Brown - Lead Engineer
Michael "Misk" Armstrong - Quality Assurance
Jim "Onifrk" Crawley - Artist
Will "PotatoFoot" Austin - Artist

Plus 25 Event Moderators and 2 Player Event Coordinators

That's just core UO.

Also:
Special Thanks for 2 more (website and Pinco) - and of course the player test group
5 CSR's (Might handle DAOC support as well?)
2 Broadsword (Someone has to run the two teams - and keep the hamster fed)

And, as much as we hate to admit it, there has to be at least 1 interface person at EA who makes UO decisions and talks to Bonnie/Rob.

So yeah, there's a few people who work on UO. Maybe not full time core UO people, but it takes a lot more than many of us appreciate.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure why I thought DAoC had been discontinued a few years back. I just found out it was still up and running last week. I'd played it for a little while, but I couldn't seem to get into it much. Can't put my finger on why, either.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is it for the "core" of UO as far as decision making and production.

The EMs, while IMHO necessary for keeping people interested in actually playing day-to-day, they don't steer the ship.

Denton needs to take a bigger role in UO, specifically in regards to pushing PR and community interaction since Mesanna is so reluctant. UO.COM is failing on all fronts again, posts are way to infrequent...such as someone who doesn't come here might think that vendor search has been disabled since 12/1/15. A hypothetical new or returning player might look at that and think the game is having problems. Or they might wonder where that "monthly" newsletter is, the one we haven't seen since last July...over 5 months ago.

UO is in desperate need of a community liaison who will keep the front page website and its players up to date.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The times a visited, yes, it was smaller. I know Broadsword is hiring, though.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From the "Credits" on the login screen for Time of Legends:

Plus 25 Event Moderators and 2 Player Event Coordinators

That's just core UO.

Also:
Special Thanks for 2 more (website and Pinco) - and of course the player test group
5 CSR's (Might handle DAOC support as well?)
2 Broadsword (Someone has to run the two teams - and keep the hamster fed)

And, as much as we hate to admit it, there has to be at least 1 interface person at EA who makes UO decisions and talks to Bonnie/Rob.

So yeah, there's a few people who work on UO. Maybe not full time core UO people, but it takes a lot more than many of us appreciate.
John Thornhill is the producer of DAoC and Rob Denton is the President of Broadsword.
This page lists 16 people working at Broadsword Online Games

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I love both UO and DAoC, they are one of only 3 MMORPGs I have had time to play in depth for years. When Broadsword acquire the rights to produce Ultima Online and Dark Ages of Camelot, I had hoped that this might inspire some collaborative work that might take elements from each game to create something exciting and new. I would have thought they could have at least cross promote these titles, and maybe offer a special subscription price of like $20/month or less to encourage players to try them both out, and recruit players from the other's game. Maybe something might happen.
DAoC is on my list of games to try out sometime this summer. Clearly, by my name on Stratics and in-game (see in my signature), I'm very much a fan of the Arthurian Legend. In my humble opinion, the story archtype that was set up by the various versions and takes on the Arthurian Legend is really what inspired quite a lot of Medieval based fantasy and interests today. It would be great just to see some type of UO story arch or other aspects incorporated into the game somehow (sword in the stone, royal love triangle, knights of round table... there is plenty they could do here).

Just a thought and won't hold my breath, but would be very interested if they ever did incorporate any of that into UO or something of the like.

I'll be sure to give you a holler when I finally set aside the time for DAoC.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DAoC is on my list of games to try out sometime this summer. Clearly, by my name on Stratics and in-game (see in my signature), I'm very much a fan of the Arthurian Legend. In my humble opinion, the story archtype that was set up by the various versions and takes on the Arthurian Legend is really what inspired quite a lot of Medieval based fantasy and interests today. It would be great just to see some type of UO story arch or other aspects incorporated into the game somehow (sword in the stone, royal love triangle, knights of round table... there is plenty they could do here).

Just a thought and won't hold my breath, but would be very interested if they ever did incorporate any of that into UO or something of the like.

I'll be sure to give you a holler when I finally set aside the time for DAoC.
I played DAoC when it came out and for a couple of years. I was in two great guilds The Royal Black Watch and Crucible. The RvR was just fun. I've tried going back to the game a couple of times but just failed to recapture the fun that I once had. They do offer I think a 14 day trail.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Gameboy RvR was a blast when I played it.

There is a lot of features I enjoy about DaoC. Of course I had chosen the Albion side :) I loved Cotswold outside the City of Camelot. We held many guild meetings by the campfire instead of the Guild house back in the day.

If you are into RP DaoC really had that true RP feel to it.

I can really say that DaoC really influenced me into the game I play today.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Gameboy RvR was a blast when I played it.

There is a lot of features I enjoy about DaoC. Of course I had chosen the Albion side :) I loved Cotswold outside the City of Camelot. We held many guild meetings by the campfire instead of the Guild house back in the day.

If you are into RP DaoC really had that true RP feel to it.

I can really say that DaoC really influenced me into the game I play today.
Played Hibernia was a hibernia void eldritch.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clearly, by my name on Stratics and in-game (see in my signature), I'm very much a fan of the Arthurian Legend. In my humble opinion, the story archtype that was set up by the various versions and takes on the Arthurian Legend is really what inspired quite a lot of Medieval based fantasy and interests today.
Have you played King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame? One of my all-time favorites on Steam. :)

There is a sequel now also but I haven't played it yet.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I played DAoC when it came out and for a couple of years. I was in two great guilds The Royal Black Watch and Crucible. The RvR was just fun. I've tried going back to the game a couple of times but just failed to recapture the fun that I once had. They do offer I think a 14 day trail.
I tried it in the initial days as well. Enjoyed it, but then had to walk away from DAoC, UO and some others for (now) 8 years. I recently retried DAoC and like you found it doesn't quite capture the good old days.

I'm hoping to resurrect my old characters and try out UO and the new expansion real soon.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried it in the initial days as well. Enjoyed it, but then had to walk away from DAoC, UO and some others for (now) 8 years. I recently retried DAoC and like you found it doesn't quite capture the good old days.

I'm hoping to resurrect my old characters and try out UO and the new expansion real soon.

I think we all had that experience in any game. Its fun and great but when you leave for various reasons it's hard to recapture that enjoyment when you was playing before. Like changes to the game and/or people you played with before are not playing anymore.

I played GW1 after the first year release clear up until GW2 came out. GW1 is still up and running and I did go back to see if people still play it and they do :)

Now for UO I think all past expansions even the new one should be all packaged together for any new players that would wanting to try it. It be pointless if a new player came into the game with UO this and that but did not have expansion A, B, or C. How could they play with others if they cant see all the content UO has. Being forced to buy the other expansions they need and don't know if they will like the game or not only hurts the player base.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we all had that experience in any game. Its fun and great but when you leave for various reasons it's hard to recapture that enjoyment when you was playing before. Like changes to the game and/or people you played with before are not playing anymore.

I played GW1 after the first year release clear up until GW2 came out. GW1 is still up and running and I did go back to see if people still play it and they do :)

Now for UO I think all past expansions even the new one should be all packaged together for any new players that would wanting to try it. It be pointless if a new player came into the game with UO this and that but did not have expansion A, B, or C. How could they play with others if they cant see all the content UO has. Being forced to buy the other expansions they need and don't know if they will like the game or not only hurts the player base.
Most online games seem to bundle exp packs with the newest one, I think ToL should come with High Seas and Stygian Abyss, but that's just me.

Sovrano

Visitor
of all the original MMOs EQ is the only one where I relived most of my original experience... but it was on a progression server. I tried AC when they were offering subscribers a free AC2 server and neither game held up. UO actually holds up really well and I think the negativity is just because it's not 2001 anymore. Instead of trying to get on steam why not gog? That audience may appreciate this game more.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread is making me want to try DAoC and EQ. I remember back in 98 or whenever when some guild members were talking about leaving UO for EQ, and we were all like HISS TRAITORS *BRANDISH CROSS* lol. Even back then though, with all the loyalty I felt, I still looked forward to a future that I hoped would be filled with all kinds of crazy MMORPGs to choose from. That future has long since arrived, but MMOs often require such a time commitment, it's always difficult to choose! Not to mention those 300 games I bought on Steam sales lol. TOTALLY GONNA GET TO THOSE SOMETIME!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would so post a video from back in the day from DaoC but it has some strong language from this guy. I laugh so hard to the point of crying when I watch this video because he rages and he sounds so much like Ben Afleck.

Here is the link buy I wont post the video on Stratics :)

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would so post a video from back in the day from DaoC but it has some strong language from this guy. I laugh so hard to the point of crying when I watch this video because he rages and he sounds so much like Ben Afleck.

Here is the link buy I wont post the video on Stratics :)
Oh my.....*wipes away tears*....that video is funny!! And, yep, it sounds just like Ben Afleck did on Bill Maher :eek: