• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Captain Lucky Community Challenge

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I was thinking what does UO need? What could I do to make a difference? A rune library? An awesome vendor? Or perhaps I could make quality, useful products at an extremely low price? Since I already do the last one I decided those wouldn't make a major difference ;)

Putting more thought into this I think I came upon an idea. What if every player could get just one new player to play? Or add just one more account? I think this is doable and would make a major impact on UO. Good for everyone. We're all gamers, we know gamers. I really think if I put out the effort I could get at least one player hooked on UO. Then you now when they are hooked they'll need more accounts ;) Getting people you know in RL makes the game so much better also. I've been online gaming for about 20 years. I've got a few contacts out there.

SO if there's any talent out there this is what I need. I would like a nice facebook banner that sells UO. Perhaps a profile picture also. I'd also like a nice picture I could post to various forums and a short effective text to put with it. Something that sells UO. It's versatility and scope. Perhaps mention the free trial. So if anyone has a flair for the short and sweet that would be great. I tend to be wordy :p I'm also interested in a flier of sorts. I've been talking to some local game and comic shops I frequent anyway. They say no problem to me posting a flyer. Comic nerds love stuff like UO. I know cause I iz one!

I'll muddle through this myself if necessary. It's just I know writing and such aren't really my strong point. Any help appreciated and I'm sure any ideas I get from suggestions will help.

I'm going to set a goal for myself of suckering... errr recruiting... 5 new players in 2 months after I start my campaign. I hope to put some stuff together this week and I hope the community can lend their talent and support. Join me!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They used to have a fan-site package that probably has everything you want in it! But I dont know if it still exists or not :(

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was thinking what does UO need? What could I do to make a difference? A rune library? An awesome vendor? Or perhaps I could make quality, useful products at an extremely low price? Since I already do the last one I decided those wouldn't make a major difference ;)

Putting more thought into this I think I came upon an idea. What if every player could get just one new player to play? Or add just one more account? I think this is doable and would make a major impact on UO. Good for everyone. We're all gamers, we know gamers. I really think if I put out the effort I could get at least one player hooked on UO. Then you now when they are hooked they'll need more accounts ;) Getting people you know in RL makes the game so much better also. I've been online gaming for about 20 years. I've got a few contacts out there.

SO if there's any talent out there this is what I need. I would like a nice facebook banner that sells UO. Perhaps a profile picture also. I'd also like a nice picture I could post to various forums and a short effective text to put with it. Something that sells UO. It's versatility and scope. Perhaps mention the free trial. So if anyone has a flair for the short and sweet that would be great. I tend to be wordy :p I'm also interested in a flier of sorts. I've been talking to some local game and comic shops I frequent anyway. They say no problem to me posting a flyer. Comic nerds love stuff like UO. I know cause I iz one!

I'll muddle through this myself if necessary. It's just I know writing and such aren't really my strong point. Any help appreciated and I'm sure any ideas I get from suggestions will help.

I'm going to set a goal for myself of suckering... errr recruiting... 5 new players in 2 months after I start my campaign. I hope to put some stuff together this week and I hope the community can lend their talent and support. Join me!
Just advertising that UO is here, especially on social media hubs that people frequent, is an awesome idea. Cheap to implement and wide reaching. I wish you success... your efforts may be an example for BS to imitate

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Good YouTube videos, livestreams, web comics, and machinima that's what UO needs.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I the only one who actually does not in RL know other gamers?
When I am out and about I meet gamers all the time. I have met many of my Aussie guildies when I go over there on business and or holiday. I met some GW2 players in Spain this past summer on a trip. Ran into some at Boom, Belgium in July some played WoW and 2 others played LotR but was a very interesting conversation to hear the debates why their game was better lol.

Even at home I hear workers or kids at game stores talking about some of the MMO's they play. I buy gem cards from time to time and employees had asked me about GW2 and we get into discussions about it.My 11 year old daughter actually had 3 of her friends from school join try GW2 free version out and 2 stayed. It's funny after school how the other parents look at me laughing and when I am talking to their kids about their games they play online because I know the games. Then I also warn the parents on some of the things said in the games they play if they see the comment about " anybody want to come over and watch neflix and chill" and had to tell them what it really meant.

Yadd ya just need to nerd out and talk about UO at a game shop or comic book store like the Capt Lucky did and see what happens :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Heh, I mentioned that I play UO to my coworkers and I have gotten no end of **** about it. I didn't even try to get them to play, but they love to joke about how I know nothing about good games because I still play UO, etc.

Good luck to you though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Am I the only one who actually does not in RL know other gamers?
Of the 600 people where I work I know of ONE outside of me who plays games and he's more into first person shooters and the like. I live with 3 other gamers.... but NONE of them play UO. While at one time my son did he won't anymore. He's too into FFXIV.... the other two don't work so while I could "gift" them both accounts to play they just never seemed interested. Which I guess is ok since they spend a lot of time looking for work.

I know a few other gamers in town and only ONE has ever played UO and of course he's married small child and honestly doesn't have time for games though he is more interested in WoW and Diablo as for him eye candy is the rage.

So no don't really know a lot of gamers. Kinda hard to meet them as well when I spend 99% of my time in only 2 places... work and home.

Try as I might to interest family in UO my Brother while a gamer started UO just after beta and lets just say that his "memories" of it aren't good. Infact he loathes the game completely. My sisters are both too busy and not really gamers infact I don't think my one sister even has a computer. So yeah. Most everyone I know who would play UO is playing UO and that is how I know them and call them friend.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm guessing if UO gave $1000 for each new person one could pull into the game there would be a lot of folks who couldn't possibly find a new player to try UO would suddenly get a creative idea ;) Getting a root canal today. Not looking for a pity party, but I'm not focusing on this today, but I plan to :) I always have an anxiety freak out going to the dentist, I hate them, lol. But I'll get through this :p

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

SO if there's any talent out there this is what I need. I would like a nice facebook banner that sells UO. Perhaps a profile picture also. I'd also like a nice picture I could post to various forums and a short effective text to put with it. Something that sells UO. It's versatility and scope. Perhaps mention the free trial. So if anyone has a flair for the short and sweet that would be great. I tend to be wordy I'm also interested in a flier of sorts. I've been talking to some local game and comic shops I frequent anyway. They say no problem to me posting a flyer. Comic nerds love stuff like UO. I know cause I iz one!

Great post Capitàn! I totally agree and I've said that many times before, about people trying to sierras the word about the game and try to bring in new players. If I could draw, I would gladly help with such graphics, alas my professional graphic skills are limited but I have been known to come up with some sweet work from time to time

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'm guessing if UO gave $1000 for each new person one could pull into the game there would be a lot of folks who couldn't possibly find a new player to try UO would suddenly get a creative idea ;) Getting a root canal today. Not looking for a pity party, but I'm not focusing on this today, but I plan to :) I always have an anxiety freak out going to the dentist, I hate them, lol. But I'll get through this :p
$1000 - if only :p
I will work on some type of graphic and see what everyone things, that is if i do find the time in my super busy life. I am really interested in a huge push to recruit new players as each of us can help those we bring in, not buy just giving stuff, but by actually helping them learn...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
$1000 - if only :p
I will work on some type of graphic and see what everyone things, that is if i do find the time in my super busy life. I am really interested in a huge push to recruit new players as each of us can help those we bring in, not buy just giving stuff, but by actually helping them learn...
Lets overlook giant turtles :D

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
In the early days of UO, I only knew two other people locally who played. One (my daughter) left long ago and is too busy with family and career for games other than the occasional single player kind that require no significant time investment. The other person left for a free shard years ago. She doesn't even play that now. She has no desire to return and says she doesn't miss UO. My fellow retirees (those who I see regularly) have no interest whatsoever in getting involved in an online multiplayer game.

I don't know, but I think the very richness and complexity of the game may be part of the problem, since so many people have limited free time, and prefer to invest that time in other activities.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You could always come hang out with me Gypsy. I will let the young ones gnash teeth and try to re invent UO. I just want to enjoy the company and companionship I have become accustomed to.

I can not stand face place, twits, or any thing that involves selfies. I tried them. They did not take.

I have always believed if you take care of the people that take care of you, things will be all right.

If ya every want to park yer wagon on Siege again, let me know.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Of the 600 people where I work I know of ONE outside of me who plays games and he's more into first person shooters and the like. I live with 3 other gamers.... but NONE of them play UO. While at one time my son did he won't anymore. He's too into FFXIV.... the other two don't work so while I could "gift" them both accounts to play they just never seemed interested. Which I guess is ok since they spend a lot of time looking for work.

I know a few other gamers in town and only ONE has ever played UO and of course he's married small child and honestly doesn't have time for games though he is more interested in WoW and Diablo as for him eye candy is the rage.

So no don't really know a lot of gamers. Kinda hard to meet them as well when I spend 99% of my time in only 2 places... work and home.

Try as I might to interest family in UO my Brother while a gamer started UO just after beta and lets just say that his "memories" of it aren't good. Infact he loathes the game completely. My sisters are both too busy and not really gamers infact I don't think my one sister even has a computer. So yeah. Most everyone I know who would play UO is playing UO and that is how I know them and call them friend.
When it comes to real life and the circles I move in, I'm a closeted gamer. UO is my own time in another world. But for those who can recruit, good.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They used to have a fan-site package that probably has everything you want in it! But I dont know if it still exists or not :(
There were two, I still have copies...somewhere. They were fairly crappy graphics though. Low resolution and rather expansion-specific (SE and ML, I believe)

We could definitely use some high resolution copies of the shard icons and modern UO symbols (logo, ankhs, codex, etc) all on transparent backgrounds (png files!)

JDs

Adventurer

Get naked and paint "play uo" on yourself and charge the field at a football game.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
There were two, I still have copies...somewhere. They were fairly crappy graphics though. Low resolution and rather expansion-specific (SE and ML, I believe)

We could definitely use some high resolution copies of the shard icons and modern UO symbols (logo, ankhs, codex, etc) all on transparent backgrounds (png files!)
I would be very interested in these. Just to get a feel of how it was put together. An outline I could build from.

I'm sorry folks. Not buying into the I don't know anybody thing. Hang a flyer on the grocery story bulletin board, tape a 8.5" x 11" flyer inside the bathroom stall at work, dust off those UO T shirts. Stop over at your local Renaissance Festival forums. Have the kids post some similar things on school bulletin boards. Everyone could do something if they wished. What were once the giants in gaming are getting old and nothing of note is on the horizon. It's a good time to act.

Being in my current Vicodin/Codeine/Ibuprofen/antibiotic stupor and sleeping 12 hours a day I'm not a ball on energy atm. And I'm still hoping for some tools I can use with the help of the community. But the point of moving forward with this is approaching quickly.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get naked and paint "play uo" on yourself and charge the field at a football game.
more effective if you are female 21 with a huge rack.......just sayin.
No wait then they will blur out everything ( even on the internet?? wtf??)
better to pay some 21 year old female with a big rack and a teenie weenie bikini to do it!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
more effective if you are female 21 with a huge rack.......just sayin.
No wait then they will blur out everything ( even on the internet?? wtf??)
better to pay some 21 year old female with a big rack and a teenie weenie bikini to do it!
Don't do it at a Dallas Cowboys game tho, cause unless a big name team has come to town everyone tehre will be snoozing...just sayin o_O

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sorry folks. Not buying into the I don't know anybody thing.
Please, you sound like an overzealous evangelist who can't understand why somebody else is a not a convert. I play. I don't know other gamers. I don't advertise games. Apparently I'm the only one on this board who lives in such a world, and so be it. Just don't be questioning my validity. Thank you.
EDIT: I don't mean to troll or damp any enthusiasm. Just clarifying my position which was being discounted. Thank you.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Alright people, lets focus :) We need....

1 Social Media banners and UO related social media photo pics. Like on Facebook you have a top banner and a personal photo spot that covers some of the banner. We need one design that fits that style and not have one hiding the others info.
2 UO sales pitch that is brief yet effective. I feel it should included the depth of UO, free trial and client download, custom housing, etc
3. A 8"X11.5" printable flyer. In black and white and color versions. Print a few off, zerox them at work ;) etc. Effective on High School bulletin boards, comic shops, drug stores, game shops, etc. Perhaps with UO.com tear offs at the bottom. It would help track progress if you notice people have been tearing off the UO.com tags. But these could be taped up anywhere there's people.
4. Motivated people. Anyone could tape up a printable flyer at places they visit. You can be a complete hermit and hang one in the woods for hunters to see. *Pictures a hermit with a cast iron stove, shotgun, and a printer*
5. Places to download our fan kit. That shouldn't be a problem.

One new person for every person playing today. Could you imagine? It's doable. Let's do it. Don't make me do this completely on my own. You'll never hear the end of it :D

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Please, you sound like an overzealous evangelist who can't understand why somebody else is a not a convert. I play. I don't know other gamers. I don't advertise games. Apparently I'm the only one on this board who lives in such a world, and so be it. Just don't be questioning my validity. Thank you.
EDIT: I don't mean to troll or damp any enthusiasm. Just clarifying my position which was being discounted. Thank you.
Call me whatever, I'm good with it. Excuse me of assuming you would be able to print a flyer and tape it up at the local grocery bulletin board, at the movies, etc, the next time you shop. I'm not expecting just anyone to be capable of doing that :) EA will do nothing to promote UO. If we follow their lead then UO will continue to fade off into gaming history. I don't believe there isn't one person in this game that couldn't recruit at least one player. I don't want your money, I don't want days of your time, I just need the least amount of motivation imaginable that could have a massive positive effect on UO. Once it's gone it won't be coming back.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:) EA will do nothing to promote UO. If we follow their lead then UO will continue to fade off into gaming history.
Call me jaded ...call me a pessimist but I have begun to feel that that might just be the best thing for all involved. Games come games go...games evolve.. ( well except UO)
Maybe the best thing we can do is just let it die... EA doesnt seem to care....( or they would make the changes to increase revenue)
Nor does Broadsword... (or they would replace these developers because all they produce is crap and all they give is insult and excuses)
the play base cares...mostly because they are addicted ( occasionally they break away, but the friendships and warm memories bring them back)
but we are the only ones that really care! Dont fool yourself in thinking that Bonnie Armstrong gives a crap about you or the rubish they publish. The facts say otherwise.
Perhaps the best thing that can happen is for every single person to close exactly half of their accounts for a year or so. It will either wake EA up and it will end it all mercifully.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trust me I have tried. I do where my UO 17th anniversary T probably at least once a week. Trouble is I don't really go anywhere much. And where I do go... only my Dr has ever asked about it... and that was my Landmark T. The UO T sadly is mostly on the BACK of the shirt. I think we need a new UO T-Shirt. Something with something cool on it... On the FRONT of the T. Just saying.

Anyway I sometimes talk about UO at work... I think it bores the heck out of people or they think I'm from some other planet.

Mostly I tell the tales of deeds from my characters. I was at one time VERY interested in writing a Trilogy about my 2 "brothers" Malag'aste and Setatabon. But when I asked EA about it they told me that I could not use any reference to UO at all. So my guess is that still stands. So "degaming" the story seemed well... sad and it kinda made me lose interest in writing it. Though I still would very much need a good editor/ghost writer to assist me as there are some things I'm not so good at. But the story is still there and everyone who's heard some of it or read some of it loves it. A book about the RP life of UO characters would most certainly I think bring attention to the game. Heck it might just bring back Role-players who want to rediscover the wonder of UO.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
You could always come hang out with me Gypsy. I will let the young ones gnash teeth and try to re invent UO. I just want to enjoy the company and companionship I have become accustomed to.

I can not stand face place, twits, or any thing that involves selfies. I tried them. They did not take.

I have always believed if you take care of the people that take care of you, things will be all right.

If ya every want to park yer wagon on Siege again, let me know.
I really appreciate the invitation, Kelmo (and evidently feel much the same way you do). For the time being, my place is with the Pitmuck goblins and our alliance friends on Chesapeake. However, if I ever decide to test the waters on Siege again, I'll definitely let you know!

I'm such a wuss... o.0

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Bring the Goblins with you.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trust me I have tried. I do where my UO 17th anniversary T probably at least once a week. Trouble is I don't really go anywhere much. And where I do go... only my Dr has ever asked about it... and that was my Landmark T. The UO T sadly is mostly on the BACK of the shirt. I think we need a new UO T-Shirt. Something with something cool on it... On the FRONT of the T. Just saying.

UO.
Now that I would do. Show me a UO Tshirt worth wearing (the 17th anniversary T-shirt did not qualify - I don't even think it came in black, did it?) and I'd buy it. Give me a long sleeved option as well

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Now that I would do. Show me a UO Tshirt worth wearing (the 17th anniversary T-shirt did not qualify - I don't even think it came in black, did it?) and I'd buy it. Give me a long sleeved option as well
I'd like a well designed UO T-shirt. Or two or three, in different colors. :)

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i'd proudly (buy and) wear a UO t-shirt. one with the old graphic. i didn't care for the last one they sold. also, the 15th anniversary shirt only came in white and the graphic was on the back -- so no one could see it b/c my hair covered it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i'd proudly (buy and) wear a UO t-shirt. one with the old graphic. i didn't care for the last one they sold. also, the 15th anniversary shirt only came in white and the graphic was on the back -- so no one could see it b/c my hair covered it.
Oh I agree I wouldn't wear a white T anyway. I prefer black... very dark gray, anything darker. Not a fan of the Gray but it's all I have. Wish it had something on the front as well because yes..... My hair covers most the back not to mention in this weather my coat does too. I would like to have something to show off my love of UO. A hat might be cool too. UO mug or insulated cup for work?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Capt. Lucky I found the fan site files. At some point I must have combined some of the AoS and SA files... I have some ML files as well, but they're just desktop backgrounds.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oh I'm excited to dig into this. Thank you!
i think UO has at least two faces...

one is the face with which it advertises to the public: you get to be a "your name here" hero avatar in the Ultima tradition; it is a little generic, but it is this way... if the prospective player is unfamiliar w/ the Ultima series, this side of advertising fails, but this is what it is....

the second face is the actual game content: the game mechanics, dynamics of player interaction... all the hidden gems that this game has to offer, which are too many to list.... i do not believe this side of UO gets advertised properly....

the first face show itself in the name of the game and the artwork accompanying the advertising... again, if the player is unfamiliar w/ Ultima, it doesn't go very far...

the second face, the face one only sees once they become involved in the game and see all that this involvement gives opportunity to, this is the face that has to be presented to people.... for them to see what an MMO can do (in case they did not know).... to see what this MMO can do...

there is an audience for world building games at this time in the gaming market and high end graphics are not important in this market (terraria, minecraft).... and UO's 2d graphics in this field are actually a novelty and benefit relative to its competitors.... UO stands to capture some of this market if it were just published more widely some of what is possible in UO...

you know what i think would be a great idea to push this side out to the public? player run video channels on youtube, for instance, showcasing the different aspects that can be enjoyed from out of UO......

Last edited: