• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Personal] It is time to share this

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good of you to share Ellum, as my guess is many can both relate and appreciate. UO has allowed for many escapes and discoveries. Even if/when the day arrives that it goes before me will be the same.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes , even to today, UO and my guild provides me with a reason to carry on.
Whithout trying to sound harsh, this is all good and well, but UO or your guild wont be around forever. Im glad UO has helped you, but youd be far far better off finding something real in your life that gives you a reason to carry on.

I do wish you all the best.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
thank you all! This is what we need, a community that supports each individual. we all have our own issues and not many of us will make it public. I have chosen to make public , my issues.
of course, having a thick skin helps exponationally because we all see, the trolls are awake :p LOL
Having been there oh so many times, even playing on GLs the whole time... I never left UO. Friends... Friends from UO have helped me through losing my Mother in 2006 and then losing my Father a few short years later (also around xmas December the 21st 2009 or 10)... Then my Grandmother soon thereafter ... dealing with so many things in life... friends from UO have always been there. And UO has been a wonderful escape. So I know how you feel.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes , even to today, UO and my guild provides me with a reason to carry on.
Setting aside my smart assed persona temporarily I have to say....good for you...what ever you find each day to keep it together and keep surviving, more power to you.
But, UO and your guild are a bandaid, not a cure. There are obviously some underlying depression and mental health issues that your guild cant fix....they will only be addressed through difficult work and with the help of a qualified professional!
thanks for sharing...that is a great step....use the bandaid by all means...but work toward the cure!
because one day this bandaid will be gone, and it might take some time to find a new store that stocks them.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Whithout trying to sound harsh, this is all good and well, but UO or your guild wont be around forever. Im glad UO has helped you, but youd be far far better off finding something real in your life that gives you a reason to carry on.

I do wish you all the best.
Don't forget that times have changed. We live in a day and age where people do make real-life long-lasting connections online in video games, social media and elsewhere on the world wide web. My guess is that many of us would find some other video game, computer game or other online digital content to replace the amount of time and effort put into UO if it were ever to go down (and dare I say even - maybe even to other UO free shards). For better or worse, people who rely on online interaction as their regular communication with the 'outside world' is here to stay and will only become more prevalent with the next generation.

And while I don't know all that much about the OP's guild, I do know that LLTS is one of the few guilds that started in UO but has transcended into a group that plays many different gaming platforms and has groups across many other games. They are one of the largest all-around-gaming guilds/clans/groups and will likely outlive UO.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Whithout trying to sound harsh, this is all good and well, but UO or your guild wont be around forever.
*gasp*
The Syndicate has been around as long as Stratics! How dare you say they might not be around forever! :eek2:

Seriously... The Syndicate is involved in more than just UO.. they even consult to developers and write books on gaming and industry subjects. If anything, thye are one of the better things to have been spawned from UO (besides Stratics :D).

And no... I don't belong to their guild, just a huge fan of them.

Insofar as UO... dude... the official servers owned by EA might go *poof* someday - but there will always be a shard somewhere.....

JDs

Adventurer
Wow, that's pretty inspiring. You should print a few hundred copies and hand them out at railway stations.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It was a mod not me, God forbid someone take offence to anything...ever! :bdh:(this smileys too violent please delete it Mods someone may take offence).
If this is the type of post that you feel it necessary to offend someone, then the issue is not with the original poster or the moderator who edited your post.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Ok, let me make a point here. This post is not about looking for sympathy but more about how things can affect our lives in a positive manner.. I really wish that everyone reads this and takes it however it can pertain to your situation.

http://deepellumit.com/uo.pdf
It takes a great deal of courage to share, as you have here, your personal struggle and your journey back to a better place.

Best wishes to you always, in or out of UO. :grouphug:

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Interesting.

*gasp*
The Syndicate has been around as long as Stratics! How dare you say they might not be around forever! :eek2:

And no... I don't belong to their guild, just a huge fan of them.

It's funny, I've heard grumblings throughout the years that LLTS was at least partly responsible for the abandoning of every other shard so they could selfishly bolster the one they played on. For years I've seen their annoying spam books littered across my shard, so it's reasonable to think they were doing it on the others too.

I guess I never really thought they had a serious impact in helping deaden every non-Atlantic shard, but maybe they did...

Reactions: JDs

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I feel this is becoming more of a norm in American culture and society. People turning to online communities and gaming for support. That support could go either way, positive as in @Deep Ellum Dan case or negative as we see spewed all over the news networks about the digital generations. I commend you on speaking out and am sorry for you loss, but at the same time I think its only a bandage to any real issues and I hope you confront those issues in real life and find the support you will need. UO and the LLTS gang can only do so much. You need real people in real life in times of need to lean on.

God speed.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Interesting.

It's funny, I've heard grumblings throughout the years that LLTS was at least partly responsible for the abandoning of every other shard so they could selfishly bolster the one they played on. For years I've seen their annoying spam books littered across my shard, so it's reasonable to think they were doing it on the others too.

I guess I never really thought they had a serious impact in helping deaden every non-Atlantic shard, but maybe they did...
I never heard of that tbh. I know they are no where near as active in UO as they used to be though, but they still hold a presence.
I don't play on Atlantic... and the "draining" of players from the other shards is not really a matter of LLTS dragging people away. I've had ppl ask me to move to ATL that have nothing to do with LLTS at all...

The smaller/less populated shards are the way they are for many, many reasons. I really don't think LLTS is that much of a contributing factor.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Setting aside my smart assed persona temporarily I have to say....good for you...what ever you find each day to keep it together and keep surviving, more power to you.
But, UO and your guild are a bandaid, not a cure. There are obviously some underlying depression and mental health issues that your guild cant fix....they will only be addressed through difficult work and with the help of a qualified professional!
thanks for sharing...that is a great step....use the bandaid by all means...but work toward the cure!
because one day this bandaid will be gone, and it might take some time to find a new store that stocks them.
i agree with you... OMG players cured by UO! hahahahaha
Sorry, with all my respect for your problems, but this is really crazy...There are serious problems in this, some of you have them, and uo cant cure these problems, only a qualified professional can, as TimberWolf say!

omg...still cant believe on what i read now, uo = a comunity....
Do you have a real life outside uo?

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hang tuff anyone suffering depression. Seek help however you may, your never totally alone.

Kudos for being brave enough to share Dan. Many are to scared to share or lack the empathy to understand.
omg...still cant believe on what i read now, uo = a comunity....
Do you have a real life outside uo?
UO fits almost every single textbook definition of community. Our locality being Britannia & our shared interests being online gaming in this complex virtual world. Whether or not this fits your personal definition of a community is moot. It is a community. Stratics allows for even more communal solidarity.

Dictionary Reference :
community
[kuh-myoo-ni-tee]
noun, plural communities.
a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality,share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.
a locality inhabited by such a group.
a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinction some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually preceded by the):
the business community; the community of scholars.
a group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage:
the community of Western Europe.
Ecclesiastical. a group of men or women leading a common life according to a rule.
Ecology. an assemblage of interacting populations occupying a given area.
joint possession, enjoyment, liability, etc.:
community of property.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, you are a very brave person for posting this. Millions of people suffer with depression and/or other emotional issues. But I agree with the others who have said that UO is a bandaid. Just as I believe in circumstantial depression, I also believe in circumstantial happiness as well. True happiness and peace will come from the inside, and not rely on any external devices, or communities, or friends. You have to find it within yourself.

Again I will say you are very brave for sharing. But please be careful what you share here, and consider the audience. Not many people who are suffering with emotional problems take the high ground and try to make others feel better like you. A good majority of them lash out and bully others. And we all know there is plenty of bullying to be had in UO.

My best wishes for you in your journey to inner peace and happiness.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget that times have changed. We live in a day and age where people do make real-life long-lasting connections online in video games, social media and elsewhere on the world wide web. My guess is that many of us would find some other video game, computer game or other online digital content to replace the amount of time and effort put into UO if it were ever to go down (and dare I say even - maybe even to other UO free shards). For better or worse, people who rely on online interaction as their regular communication with the 'outside world' is here to stay and will only become more prevalent with the next generation.

And while I don't know all that much about the OP's guild, I do know that LLTS is one of the few guilds that started in UO but has transcended into a group that plays many different gaming platforms and has groups across many other games. They are one of the largest all-around-gaming guilds/clans/groups and will likely outlive UO.
Yup. One of the reasons I even came back to UO 2 years ago was because of a guy I knew from back in the day; I would contact him every so often on ICQ through the years & found out he still played, along with a few others.

Even outside of gaming, it holds true. When I joined Twitter at the end of 2010, it was done to follow the Phillies & a few of the players. I've developed several friendships since then, some with current/former athletes themselves. The only part I hate is that they're all scattered across the country; I would prefer face-to-face interaction, but in the digital age, it isn't possible without traveling.